• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: Health My Experience Eating Keto/Carnivore

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Darius, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Nomadic

Nomadic Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $258
    Awesome write up man. I have yet to try keto but this post might be the final little pusher I needed to get it started.

Darius likes this.
  2. El Príncipe

El Príncipe Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $587
    Very interesting thread.

Been carnivore for about three weeks now. Before that I was vegan for a bit over half a year. Towards the end of it my body started telling me I needed meat. Meat being grilled started smelling really, really good.

I switched over pretty drastically. Maybe a week and a half of keto in between.

Health is the primary reason for all of this. Got psoriasis 3 years ago. At the start of this year it became apparent it wouldn't just pass over, a pro-active approach was needed. Knew it had something to do with diet/nutrition. Noticed it cured almost entirely after a 5 day fast.

Then found Rob Stuart's YT channel. Got into vegan/plant based eating. It helped some. Especially early on I felt great. Got into juicing, raw vegan, water/dry fasting. All of it helped some. But after 2 months my skin just plateau'd, and everything else got slowly worse without me realizing.

I started staying in more, napping in the afternoon, being less interested in chicks. I attributed it all of it to "getting older and wiser", bad work/life balance, being away from family.

Then I started eating meat again and my energies have been through the roof. It's insane. I've had days where I felt high. I could just keep going and going. Super productive.

There have been some transition symptoms too though. And it seems like I've become even more sensitive to certain foods than before. Pretty drastic stuff affecting my energy and mood in major ways.

We attribute a lot to our personalities. We rationalize a lot. Also because we don't know how different it could really be if we'd change the right things.

Right now I'm cutting out dark chocolate (my cheat snack, hard to let go of lol) and going to a zero tolerance policy on "cheating", since I've noticed small quantities of grains and sugar can have huge effects. Been incorporating bone broth, liver and hearts from the start and looking to add in brain and fish roe (eggs). Other than that eating a wide variety of pork, beef, chicken, rabbit, duck, goose. Experimenting and learning a lot still.

I've had bad experiences with dairy, but I'm curious to see my reaction to raw milk and raw cheese, as there is a possibility that lactose intolerance might in fact just be an intolerance to the methods of processing like pasteurizing and the resulting manufactured products.

So yeah, interesting journey. Feeling a lot better. And looking it too, was starting to look emaciated, you know the typical, skinny vegan guy. Whereas I had always been into strength, masculinity, mma, sports, etc. Now I'm finally filling up again. Finally strength to work out again, recovery is super quick, injuries that were at a standstill are finally healing.

Just so many positive results. Psoriasis... Honestly, too early to tell, too many confounding factors (cheating a lot, and hard to tell the magnitude of effects), overall seeing improvement I would say, but I don't want to make the mistake of letting hope lead me to read positive results into ambiguous data sort to speak.

Interested to see other's experiences with this!

PureA and Darius like this.
  3. Darius

Darius Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    Happy to hear you're getting some benefits! Keep me updated on how it goes.

Thankfully, I haven't had any bad reactions to dairy. I haven't tried raw milk but I have had 'raw' cheese.

The raw cheese I had was from Whole Foods and I think due to how they process 'raw' foods sold in supermarkets - it's like a less pasteurized version, but still pasteurized.

El Príncipe likes this.
  4. El Príncipe

El Príncipe Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $587
    Yeah, here in the Netherlands supermarkets aren't allowed to sell non-pasteurized milk and cheese. Something to do with a tuberculosis epidemic amongst cows in the 1950's. Maybe that affected the US as well?

You can still get it raw if you get it straight from farmers, but they're obligated to tell you to heat it before consuming, lol, effectively killing all the nutrients that make it beneficial over store-bought of course.

I'm curious about anything pertaining mood; Have you experienced any changes in feeling/temperament/emotions?

5. Darius

Darius Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    Mood has been better for sure but not like I'm a completely different person. I mainly think it's due to being able to sleep better (I can sleep with my mouth closed and breathe out my nose now) and not being so hungry.

I can focus more when I don't eat.

6. El Príncipe

Rep Bank:
    $587
    Yeah I get that too. Supposedly, 60% of body energy expenditure goes to digestion. So I try eating at the end of the day once everything for the day is done. Never have breakfast.

Darius likes this.
  7. struka

struka Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $192
    Did you have issues with dairy before you went vegan? A lot of people that stop eating dairy have issues once they start eating dairy again because a certain enzyme is turned off during that time. Some have diarrhea, stomach pains and bloating. My mother had that once she went vegan and then tried to drink coffee with milk.

You won't be able to buy raw milk at the store so you would need to try your local farmers.

8. El Príncipe

Rep Bank:
    $587
    After being vegan it indeed did seem to have gotten more pronounced. I ate a chunk of cheese (about 100g) and noticed the onset of a cold/flu almost instantly. But I've had that happen to me once before with milk, before going vegan. Still, it's hard to say. I cut out dairy for a time when I went paleo for about a year around 2012 and felt better. Since then I've had an off feeling about dairy.

Was your mother able to drink milk again eventually?

YouTuber sv3ridge (weird guy, but it's often people like him that charter new territory, because they're so extremely openminded and outside of social norms) said he became tolerant to raw milk at some point, by starting with just a teaspoon of it together with some raw meat and building it up, theorizing that the enzymes in the meat kickstarted the processing of the milk. Here's the video:

View: https://youtu.be/85b3PJKEMgA?t=478

Yeah, I'm gonna try raw milk at a farmer at some point.

9. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    I don't know about enzymes in meat kickstarting the processing of milk, but it's probably a good idea to re-introduce foods (or any foods you've never tried or purchased from an unfamiliar source) in small portions and slowly up the amount you eat over the course of a few weeks.

That should help build up the microbiome and enzymes needed to process that specific food (or the bacteria in the food).

You've got me wondering if I'll have problems drinking milk again If I ever re-introduce it (I don't even remember what it taste like anymore)

El Príncipe likes this.
  10. CPisHere

CPisHere Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,808
    Carnivore diet is legit. I haven't cut all carbs yet, but have started making Steak my primary source of calories, no longer force myself to eat veggies/fruit, and feel much better.

Eating strictly nothing but steak and eggs isn't completely necessary, but learning about Carnivore Diet was a big paradigm shift for me about what food is actually nutritious.

I respect anyone's right to be vegan, so long as they respect my right not to be. Industrial agriculture is a real problem, but I don't think it's specific to the meat industry - cows specifically are much less of an issue as they pretty much have to be on a pasture, unlike chickens.

El Príncipe likes this.
  11. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    I see a lot of carnivore people that eat mainly steak and eggs. That's got to be pretty expensive unless you're buying primal cuts in bulk, right?

12. struka

struka Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $192
    Read the book Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan as it touches on the milk issue. It is a fantastic book that mainly talks about vegetable oil and sugar as the problem to our bodies. In the book, she states that you have to re-introduce milk in small quantities for the enzyme to start back up again over a period of time so you can process diary again, basically the enzyme becomes dormant if you stop eating diary.

El Príncipe likes this.
  13. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to pick that book up

struka likes this.
  14. El Príncipe

Rep Bank:
    $587
    That's interesting and makes sense intuitively. Same for what you said @Darius. I'm gonna try that (with raw milk). Thanks!

15. El Príncipe

Rep Bank:
    $587
    Industrial agriculture is a real problem for sure. What it really boils down to though is a overpopulation problem.

16. CPisHere

CPisHere Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,808
    That's one way to look at it. Not sure it's entirely accurate, but it isn't wrong either.

17. CPisHere

Rep Bank:
    $3,808
    I generally eat under 2lbs/day. I was eating mainly Ribeye but more NY Strip now, so it's like $20.

18. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,176
    I'm a huge fan of the carnivore diet and Dr. Shawn Baker.

Check out meatheals.com

CPisHere likes this.
  19. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    Got ya. Still a little too baller for me at the moment :) - I try to stay under $300-$400 per month in groceries.

My local farm charges $18.50/lb for NY strip and $20.50/lb for ribeye.

However, if I order 1/4 a cow, I could get all the meat for under $6/lb and free organs & fat trimmings/suet

20. Nelow

Nelow Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $281
    Update: The temptations are everywhere for sugar, Its basically everywhere you look most convenient items have it. But having meal prepped for the week is a big help. Nuts are my best friends at the moment. I found a good substitute for a sweet tasting drink, Having craving for bread probably because it was a staple with my eggs. The liver will take some getting used to... But my hunger has gone down a lot, no change with my nose yet.

My property manager is vegan and is now trying to sway me to the side of "Greens as the save all." and what some old Chinese medical book said and staying healthy. Ignoring her for now.

Darius likes this.
  21. holmzee

holmzee Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,618
    For a few years now I've been having these extreme episodes of fatigue after eating. I also experience a lack of energy and severe brain fog after about 10 minutes of moderate exercise to the point that I can barely form a coherent sentence. It has only gotten worse and worse so I decided I finally need to make a change.

I came across the carnivore diet on Youtube last week and have been following it for a few days now. Any animal products are a go for now so I've mostly been eating meat and dairy. I must say, my mental clarity is already greatly improved and I don't feel constantly hungry or irritable any more. I also have skin problems on my back and can feel that starting to clear up. The sinus congestion was a huge problem for me as well but I have hardly any right now. I can't remember the last time this was the case.

Going to ride this out for the rest of the month and see how I feel, but judging by the results so far I may have to dial this up as a permanent lifestyle change.

CPisHere and Darius like this.
  22. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    If you have a whole foods nearby, they have a good lime carbonated mineral water. It's not sweet but since it's carbonated it can almost replicate soda when you're tired of water

jon.M likes this.
  23. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    Happy to hear it's working for you!

Keep us updated!

24. Darius

Rep Bank:
    $8,788
    For any of you that would like to include organ meats in your diet but don't want to completely make the leap, here's a tip:

Purchase organ meats like liver and heart. Take it to a local butcher and have them grind it up. Then, mix the ground organ meats with normal ground beef and make burgers, taco meat, etc..

This should make it more approachable and much more nutrient dense than your normal burgers/tacos.

25. holmzee

holmzee Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,618
    I have started to incorporate butter into my diet due to its fat content. I think it's important to keep fat intake high on the carnivore/keto diet, otherwise energy will get low. I cook my steak in a pan and baste it with butter to make it easy. After almost a week on the diet, I am now getting very full after my meals for the first time in years. Not an uncomfortable feeling of fullness, but an overwhelming feeling of satiation, like I don't have any cravings or need to think about food for another 5 hours.

Darius, Dramolion and Raoul Duke like this.