The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Experience Eating Keto/Carnivore

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Carnivore diet is legit. I haven't cut all carbs yet, but have started making Steak my primary source of calories, no longer force myself to eat veggies/fruit, and feel much better.

Eating strictly nothing but steak and eggs isn't completely necessary, but learning about Carnivore Diet was a big paradigm shift for me about what food is actually nutritious.

I respect anyone's right to be vegan, so long as they respect my right not to be. Industrial agriculture is a real problem, but I don't think it's specific to the meat industry - cows specifically are much less of an issue as they pretty much have to be on a pasture, unlike chickens.

I see a lot of carnivore people that eat mainly steak and eggs. That's got to be pretty expensive unless you're buying primal cuts in bulk, right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
After being vegan it indeed did seem to have gotten more pronounced. I ate a chunk of cheese (about 100g) and noticed the onset of a cold/flu almost instantly. But I've had that happen to me once before with milk, before going vegan. Still, it's hard to say. I cut out dairy for a time when I went paleo for about a year around 2012 and felt better. Since then I've had an off feeling about dairy.

Read the book Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan as it touches on the milk issue. It is a fantastic book that mainly talks about vegetable oil and sugar as the problem to our bodies. In the book, she states that you have to re-introduce milk in small quantities for the enzyme to start back up again over a period of time so you can process diary again, basically the enzyme becomes dormant if you stop eating diary.

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 1, 2018
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Read the book Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan as it touches on the milk issue. It is a fantastic book that mainly talks about vegetable oil and sugar as the problem to our bodies. In the book, she states that you have to re-introduce milk in small quantities for the enzyme to start back up again over a period of time so you can process diary again, basically the enzyme becomes dormant if you stop eating diary.

That's interesting and makes sense intuitively. Same for what you said @Darius. I'm gonna try that (with raw milk). Thanks!

El Príncipe

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 1, 2018
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Carnivore diet is legit. I haven't cut all carbs yet, but have started making Steak my primary source of calories, no longer force myself to eat veggies/fruit, and feel much better.

Eating strictly nothing but steak and eggs isn't completely necessary, but learning about Carnivore Diet was a big paradigm shift for me about what food is actually nutritious.

I respect anyone's right to be vegan, so long as they respect my right not to be. Industrial agriculture is a real problem, but I don't think it's specific to the meat industry - cows specifically are much less of an issue as they pretty much have to be on a pasture, unlike chickens.

Industrial agriculture is a real problem for sure. What it really boils down to though is a overpopulation problem.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Industrial agriculture is a real problem for sure. What it really boils down to though is a overpopulation problem.
That's one way to look at it. Not sure it's entirely accurate, but it isn't wrong either.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I see a lot of carnivore people that eat mainly steak and eggs. That's got to be pretty expensive unless you're buying primal cuts in bulk, right?
I generally eat under 2lbs/day. I was eating mainly Ribeye but more NY Strip now, so it's like $20.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I'm a huge fan of the carnivore diet and Dr. Shawn Baker.

Check out meatheals.com

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I generally eat under 2lbs/day. I was eating mainly Ribeye but more NY Strip now, so it's like $20.

Got ya. Still a little too baller for me at the moment :) - I try to stay under $300-$400 per month in groceries.

My local farm charges $18.50/lb for NY strip and $20.50/lb for ribeye.

However, if I order 1/4 a cow, I could get all the meat for under $6/lb and free organs & fat trimmings/suet

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
Update: The temptations are everywhere for sugar, Its basically everywhere you look most convenient items have it. But having meal prepped for the week is a big help. Nuts are my best friends at the moment. I found a good substitute for a sweet tasting drink, Having craving for bread probably because it was a staple with my eggs. The liver will take some getting used to... But my hunger has gone down a lot, no change with my nose yet.

My property manager is vegan and is now trying to sway me to the side of "Greens as the save all." and what some old Chinese medical book said and staying healthy. Ignoring her for now.

G

Guest24480

For a few years now I've been having these extreme episodes of fatigue after eating. I also experience a lack of energy and severe brain fog after about 10 minutes of moderate exercise to the point that I can barely form a coherent sentence. It has only gotten worse and worse so I decided I finally need to make a change.

I came across the carnivore diet on Youtube last week and have been following it for a few days now. Any animal products are a go for now so I've mostly been eating meat and dairy. I must say, my mental clarity is already greatly improved and I don't feel constantly hungry or irritable any more. I also have skin problems on my back and can feel that starting to clear up. The sinus congestion was a huge problem for me as well but I have hardly any right now. I can't remember the last time this was the case.

Going to ride this out for the rest of the month and see how I feel, but judging by the results so far I may have to dial this up as a permanent lifestyle change.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
For a few years now I've been having these extreme episodes of fatigue after eating. I also experience a lack of energy and severe brain fog after about 10 minutes of moderate exercise to the point that I can barely form a coherent sentence. It has only gotten worse and worse so I decided I finally need to make a change.

I came across the carnivore diet on Youtube last week and have been following it for a few days now. Any animal products are a go for now so I've mostly been eating meat and dairy. I must say, my mental clarity is already greatly improved and I don't feel constantly hungry or irritable any more. I also have skin problems on my back and can feel that starting to clear up. The sinus congestion was a huge problem for me as well but I have hardly any right now. I can't remember the last time this was the case.

Going to ride this out for the rest of the month and see how I feel, but judging by the results so far I may have to dial this up as a permanent lifestyle change.

Happy to hear it's working for you!

Keep us updated!

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
For any of you that would like to include organ meats in your diet but don't want to completely make the leap, here's a tip:

Purchase organ meats like liver and heart. Take it to a local butcher and have them grind it up. Then, mix the ground organ meats with normal ground beef and make burgers, taco meat, etc..

This should make it more approachable and much more nutrient dense than your normal burgers/tacos.

G

Guest24480

I have started to incorporate butter into my diet due to its fat content. I think it's important to keep fat intake high on the carnivore/keto diet, otherwise energy will get low. I cook my steak in a pan and baste it with butter to make it easy. After almost a week on the diet, I am now getting very full after my meals for the first time in years. Not an uncomfortable feeling of fullness, but an overwhelming feeling of satiation, like I don't have any cravings or need to think about food for another 5 hours.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I have started to incorporate butter into my diet due to its fat content. I think it's important to keep fat intake high on the carnivore/keto diet, otherwise energy will get low. I cook my steak in a pan and baste it with butter to make it easy. After almost a week on the diet, I am now getting very full after my meals for the first time in years. Not an uncomfortable feeling of fullness, but an overwhelming feeling of satiation, like I don't have any cravings or need to think about food for another 5 hours.

I like this for my butter: Salted Butter | Kerrygold | All-Purpose, All-Natural Butter

Can get it in other ways as well. Unsalted, etc.

I like ghee as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0W3KEC/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I like this for my butter: Salted Butter | Kerrygold | All-Purpose, All-Natural Butter

Can get it in other ways as well. Unsalted, etc.

I like ghee as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0W3KEC/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I'd recommend getting unsalted.

In order to add salt to butter they must also add more water. While the water to butter fat content might not be drastically different (I haven't found any specific numbers on the topic besides it having more water and less butter fat), they're usually priced similarly (in my area) - so might as well go with the product with more butter/less processing.

Salted butter will last longer in the fridge, but for most people doing this WOE, butter is used up way before it can expire.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I'd recommend getting unsalted.

In order to add salt to butter they must also add more water. While the water to butter fat content might not be drastically different (I haven't found any specific numbers on the topic besides it having more water and less butter fat), they're usually priced similarly (in my area) - so might as well go with the product with more butter/less processing.

Salted butter will last longer in the fridge, but for most people doing this WOE, butter is used up way before it can expire.

For myself I have found that salted butter from Kerrygold is the way to go. That is just my preference. I haven't found any other alternatives to this brand either.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
For myself I have found that salted butter from Kerrygold is the way to go. That is just my preference. I haven't found any other alternatives to this brand either.

I completely understand.

Although Kerrygold cows are likely not 100% grass fed (I think they get grains during their winter months instead of hay) it's probably the best supermarket butter out there. I hear Organic Valley has a good pastured butter but I haven't tried it.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Thanks for the thread Darius, just found it and it's a very good read.

I recently transitioned from a very active business to being desk bound so thought I would need to do something dramatic to keep from piling on the pounds, plus I could do with losing 20lbs anyway.

I watched a few channels, read a few blogs etc. about fasting and reduced my meals to twice a day. Basically a 16/8 fast and also included 40 mins of cardio 6 days a week. Within a week I switched to a 20/4 fast which quickly became a 22/2 as I don't eat till 6pm each day and have no urge to eat after 8 as I'm still full and go to bed at 10 anyway.

I'm not following a keto diet and just eating anything my wife puts in front of me at dinnertime. Certainly noticed health benefits even though this is only the second week. Lost 3lbs but expect more than that is actual fat loss as muscles have certainly become denser in this time.

What I have picked up on in this thread is benefits to nasal congestion. I've found in the last 2 days my nasal passageways seem larger and it's much easier to breathe. If I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have considered it was related.

The next step will be to convert to a keto friendly diet to gain maximum benefit.

Thanks again, looking forward to further updates.

Nelow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 23, 2018
Maryland, USA
I completely understand.

Although Kerrygold cows are likely not 100% grass fed (I think they get grains during their winter months instead of hay) it's probably the best supermarket butter out there. I hear Organic Valley has a good pastured butter but I haven't tried it.

What are your opinions on the high iron levels associated with this diet?

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the thread Darius, just found it and it's a very good read.

I recently transitioned from a very active business to being desk bound so thought I would need to do something dramatic to keep from piling on the pounds, plus I could do with losing 20lbs anyway.

I watched a few channels, read a few blogs etc. about fasting and reduced my meals to twice a day. Basically a 16/8 fast and also included 40 mins of cardio 6 days a week. Within a week I switched to a 20/4 fast which quickly became a 22/2 as I don't eat till 6pm each day and have no urge to eat after 8 as I'm still full and go to bed at 10 anyway.

I'm not following a keto diet and just eating anything my wife puts in front of me at dinnertime. Certainly noticed health benefits even though this is only the second week. Lost 3lbs but expect more than that is actual fat loss as muscles have certainly become denser in this time.

What I have picked up on in this thread is benefits to nasal congestion. I've found in the last 2 days my nasal passageways seem larger and it's much easier to breathe. If I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have considered it was related.

The next step will be to convert to a keto friendly diet to gain maximum benefit.

Thanks again, looking forward to further updates.

Thanks for sharing!

It's awesome that by reducing meal frequency, you've been able to get some benefits without cutting carbs.

Keep us updated on when you make the switch to Keto!

I wonder if you'll be able to get into ketosis easily (without symptoms) since your body is likely already entering it while fasting.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
What are your opinions on the high iron levels associated with this diet?

I haven't done much research on iron specifically since I haven't had a reason to (not many reports of iron related issues or crazy iron levels in blood work I've seen).

I haven't had my blood work done so I can't speak on my iron levels. I also cook almost all of my food in cast iron skillets and have had no I'll effects as far as I know.

However, if someone had a pre-existing condition where too much iron could cause problems, I'd tell them consult a doctor/proceed with caution, regardless of diet.

When you have pre-existing conditions or have had surgery (like having a gallbladder removed) then things become very tricky. You have to tailor your approach to work around your condition until your condition is fixed (if fixable).

Scott Robertson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 10, 2018
San Diego, California
Interesting post. I've heard a lot about keto within the last ~year via Joe Rogan's podcast. How active are you? Personally, I've found that a diet with carbs provides me with more energy vs a ketogenic diet, but I run a lot and lift weights. (Keep in mind my carbs are mostly yams/vegetables/oats. In fact my diet is paleo except for the oats)

I got my 23andme results, and through my gene mapping have been recommended to eat ~ 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat), and with this ratio I feel optimized and at my best. I'm wondering how much a person's genes influence what their "optimal diet" would be.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
I've seen enough YouTube videos of people talking about getting gout from carnivore that I believe it. I don't know how it happens ( I don't think anyone does), but it's happening to some people.
Darius You forgot The first rule of Keto is: You do not talk about Keto. :)

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Interesting post. I've heard a lot about keto within the last ~year via Joe Rogan's podcast. How active are you? Personally, I've found that a diet with carbs provides me with more energy vs a ketogenic diet, but I run a lot and lift weights. (Keep in mind my carbs are mostly yams/vegetables/oats. In fact my diet is paleo except for the oats)

I got my 23andme results, and through my gene mapping have been recommended to eat ~ 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat), and with this ratio I feel optimized and at my best. I'm wondering how much a person's genes influence what their "optimal diet" would be.

I weight lift 4-6 days a week.

How long were you on a ketogenic diet?

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Some thoughts:

Carbs/glucose are like a growth hormone/stimulant

They provide faster energy and cause things to grow faster than they would without them.

- Most cancers use glucose as energy.
- Muscles grow faster with glucose.
- Fat stores faster with glucose

Without them, you shouldn't have as much energy as you would with them - even on a ketogenic diet (unless you had some form of insulin resistance beforehand).

I do believe carbs had a purpose for us in nature but no where near the level available to us today.

A fresh kill would have likely had plenty of glucose available (from glycogen) to trigger insulin to fuel muscles and possibly store fat for a time when food would be limited (like winter).

The problem today with carbs is that there's too many in everything, including some of the veggies sold frequently in the USA.

The body probably runs best when kept at a low-ish body fat while spending most of it's time in ketosis.

Fat is more calorie dense so you don't need to consume as much in order to reach satiety and the most important vitamins are stored there. Less eating means more time for your body to allocate resources elsewhere.

But regardless of how much I think I know or how much humans in general think they know, we're probably still clueless about most stuff involving the body.

No matter if you choose keto, carnivore, vegan, or whatever WOE - try to do as much research as you can. Try to find as many people eating that diet as possible and learn about the good and the bad.

Ideally, the diet should not leave you deficient in any vitamins and you should feel continue to feel good for many years.

My belief is currently in carnivore but I haven't been doing it long enough to tell if it's the one for me (although some people have)

And don't be afraid to change your diet if it's not giving you the results you're looking for. Online, a lot of these diet communities are like cults - but at the core, we're all just trying to live longer and healthier lives.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
~ 30-40 days

That may not have been enough time for your body to learn how to use ketones effectively.

I've heard of it taking close to a year before some people can do high intensity activities and have enough energy.

Even after almost 9 months, I still get sleepy if I workout extremely hard (like a full body day with squats, bench, and deadlifts). It has been getting better month over month.

I remember in my first 30 days on keto, I went for a PR deadlift and after getting it, I had to stop the rest of the workout due to feeling tired. I went upstairs (home gym was in my basement) and took a 4 hour nap.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.