The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My experiment with infrared & cryotherapy. Rate my morning routine!

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Last weekend I went for the first time to Freezlab in my hometown Amsterdam. I went for a infrared therapy (heat) for ten minutes and after that cryotherapy (-110 degrees celsius). It was such an amazing experience and afterwards I played a game of football like never before.

Inspired by the results I decided to do an experiment for a month:
Every mo - fr morning I get up 5:45 AM and I cycle 6,5 kilometer to Freezlab, do an infrared- & cryotherapy and cycle 6,5 km back.
In the weekend I'll go as well, but it opens later so in the morning I will get up at 6:30AM and read extra in my current book.

So the midweek in context: alarm 5.45 AM, get up, oatmeal breakfast, braintraining (Lumosity), dress - GO.
6.30 cycle to Freezlab. 7.15 Freezlab infrared & cryotherapy. 7.40 cycle home. During cycling I'll listen to a podcast or interview.
8.10 Shower 8.30 ready to GRIND.

Yesterday I listened to the interview of @Johnny boy with @mikecarlooch -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOLfmpCAAfk

Definitely recommend!

I will update weekly on Sunday.

Some questions I want to answer with this experiment:
  • Will I keep getting the feeling of energy after I've done this for a sustained period of time, or does my body get used to it like coffee?
  • How does my energy progress during the day? Will I get more done? More focus? More mental happiness?
Do you have other great questions to reflect on for me? Let me know.
Would be awesome if other community members get inspired to work on theirselves or join me in this experiment.

Thank you @heavy_industry for the feedback. I will commit to consistency and it feels to me I also have to be accountable to you now haha.

PS. also a nice extra, my girlfriend joined as well. In the weekend we'll go together. :blush:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

M.B.W

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 7, 2023
Sydney, Australia
In my experience, there's definitely a bit of a honeymoon period to any new health protocol. Your body tends to react very favourably to a positive change in stimuli. That will most likely dissipate, but if you stay consistent you'll get great improvements over the long term.

I've been using infrared sauna twice a week for about 10 months now. Love it.

Cryotherapy isn't the ideal form of cold exposure in my opinion. You can get it done with a cold shower or better yet, an ice bath.

Note: Don't do an ice bath BEFORE a workout. IIRC, you'll reduce your ability to gain muscle in the gym.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Week 1 evaluation experiment infrared and cryotherapy.

Went 5 out of 7 days to Freezlab for my sessions.
65 (5*13) kilometres cycled. 2x 30 minutes per day of bike exercise.
5 hours listened of podcasts/ Youtube.

Wednesday I wasn't able to go because of storm Polly in Holland.
Thursday I let excuses get to me. Friday got back on track.

Sinds yesterday I started to do some simple stretches during the infrared session of 10 minutes.
Five simple stretches to optimize my time I'm already in the cabine.

So far I'm feeling great. My recovery seems shorter from exercises and through the day my energy stays higher.
My skin on my back seem to react very good with the Infrared as well. @JNagtegaal maybe something to check out.

I've walked 10k steps every day. Played football four times this week. Feeling really fit.
Curious about the long term benefits as I'm progressing.

An extra benefit is the extra focus I get on fitness and getting fitter.
Working out routines to train my ankles, glutes, core, back and more.
I'm all about micro sessions I can combine in my day with ongoing activities.

Goals week 2

Go everyday consistent for maximum data for my experiment:
  • 7 days
  • ±90 kilometres (7*13)
  • 7, 10 minute stretches during infrared
  • 7 hours of cycle university
Anybody any recommendations for a podcast/ YouTube on the bicycle?
@Andy Black I listened your 'getting started' on YouTube, awesome!

In my experience, there's definitely a bit of a honeymoon period to any new health protocol. Your body tends to react very favourably to a positive change in stimuli. That will most likely dissipate, but if you stay consistent you'll get great improvements over the long term.

Really curious on the long term. At the moment I'm definitely in what you call the honeymoon. Will see how my body reacts coming week. To me it's all about marginal gains and execution.

Cryotherapy isn't the ideal form of cold exposure in my opinion. You can get it done with a cold shower or better yet, an ice bath.

I've did both cold showers and ice baths (masterclass with Wim Hof method). Cryotherapy is on a higher level to me. It's effective, quick and so far have more benefits to me. Who knows my opinion will change this month.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Anybody any recommendations for a podcast/ YouTube on the bicycle?
@Andy Black I listened your 'getting started' on YouTube, awesome!
Thanks.

@Kak has a few hundred podcast episodes.

I've a few other calls with forum members, and a couple of radio interviews in my signature.

What are you trying to learn specifically?

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thanks.

@Kak has a few hundred podcast episodes.

I've a few other calls with forum members, and a couple of radio interviews in my signature.

What are you trying to learn specifically?

Thanks!

Yes I saw he haves around 150 episodes open at the moment. Sometimes grabbing a topic and enjoy it so far. 5 stars!

Specifically I’m looking for entrepreneur stories. People who went the distance telling their story. The lows, the highs, the lessons.

That’s why I like @mikecarlooch ‘s channel. 7 high quality video’s of forum members telling their story. More of that!

For specific skill podcasts/ video’s I want to stand at my desk and be able to make notes directly. It helps me with retention and capture the gold towards execution.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Don't do an ice bath BEFORE a workout. IIRC, you'll reduce your ability to gain muscle in the gym.

Actually the studies show the exact opposite. When doing cryo/cold after the workout, even though it aids recovery, it inhibits hypertrophy.

M.B.W

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 7, 2023
Sydney, Australia
Actually the studies show the exact opposite. When doing cryo/cold after the workout, even though it aids recovery, it inhibits hypertrophy.
You're right actually. I got it mixed up. Before workout is ok, after workout is not ok. My bad.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Week 2 evaluation experiment infrared and cryotherapy.

Went to 6 out of 7 days to Freezlab for my sessions.
78 (6*13) kilometers cycled. 2x 30 minutes per day of bike exercise.
6 hours listened to podcasts/ Youtube. (mainly from Kyle Keegan's radio show)

Saturday I skipped to sleep in with the lady.
I've been doing my new stretches all week. I am feeling strong in my core.

I did notice around Thursday that so much activity in combination with the infrared and cryo sauna was getting too much. So I bought an E-mountain bike so in the morning I'm there quicker and it takes less energy.

This was also my main lesson this week: as I'm going consistently I'm feeling really good, but it doesn't mean I'm suddenly some kind of superhuman who can go all day. Friday I felt that I went too far with football, exercise, and the rest. After a day's rest, I feel great again. I do notice that my recovery is better.

At this point, I'm already kind of sold on going on consistently after this experiment. I would recommend everybody to just try it out once to see if it's something for you.

Goals next week besides the continuing goals of last week:
  • Switch up the routine. First, go in the cryo sauna and then the infrared.
  • Find a lab to test my body (Prescan/ nutrition research). Making a deep dive into the needs of my body to perform optimally.
On to a new exciting week of this experiment and business.
Have a great week Fastlane community :D

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Week 3 evaluation experiment infrared and cryotherapy.
This will be my last evaluation of this experiment.

Went 5 out of 7 days to Freezlab for my sessions.

Friday and today I skipped intentionally after exercising intensely at the end of the day.
I feel a big difference in my recovery throughout the day when I did go to freezlab the next day.

Two days I want in the afternoon to feel if there's a difference.
Reflecting back, the morning has my preference.
It's a great start to the day and in the afternoon I felt less energized by it.

Two mornings I switched to first cold (cryo), then hot (infrared).
For me, the hot-to-cold combo works the best. Also afterward back on the E-bike.

Conclusion

After three weeks of experimenting, I've decided that Freezlab is a great fit for my lifestyle.
Next week I'm getting a regular plan to continue this morning habit consistently.

With the hot-to-cold combo, I feel these benefits:
  1. More energy throughout the day
  2. Better sleep quality
  3. My body recovers quicker after intense workouts
  4. My skin is healthier. Besides my gf checked my scar weekly and it seems to get less dense
  5. The habit in the morning grounds me to get out of the house early to get fresh air
There are more side reasons, but these come to mind.
Also, I feel great about the thought that I did more for my body before 9 AM than most people do all day.

Everybody who has the opportunity to try it out, do it.
Make your own experiment and see how it is for you :).

My full morning routine for those who are interested.

Monday to Friday:

5:45 Alarm, WC, 300ml water, put on headphones with one of my favorite morning songs, and do a few back stretches.
±6:00 Oatmeal breakfast, supplements. Listen to my business news podcast and Darren's Daily mentoring.
±6:30 Lumosity brain-training games. 5 games, every day.
±6:45 E-bike ride to Freezlab with a podcast (bike university)
±7:15 Freezlab: Infrared 10 minutes. Cryosauna 3 minutes. During the infrared I do a simple stretching routine.
±7:40 Ride home with a podcast or energizing music. Depends on my mood.
±8:00 Hit the showers. Get ready for the day. Coffee.

Weekend:
Basically the same, but I start at 6:30 and it's a bit more trimmed down.
I exercise more in the mornings.

Oatmeal breakfast:
  • 100 gr unprocessed oatmeal
  • 300 ml hot water
  • 6gr probiotics
  • Flaxseed
  • Cinnamon
  • Apple
  • Blueberries
  • Unprocessed nut blend
This is actually my power starter of the day. :D
For my supplements, I have a personalized setup. Find out for yourself what helps best.
I'm always open to suggestions.

There is no Fastlane without health. Stay fit dear community!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I am definitely a ”experiment on myself” kind of guy. It’s probably easier to speak to things I didn’t try.

That said, life changes on us quickly and it’s important to remain flexible. Be able to substitute one thing for another. For example, with becoming a parent, I found it harder to stick to a Masters Swim club schedule, so I dropped swimming. But I found it easier to do hiking, cycling and a ton of other family activities. Basically things that don’t cost me time away from my fam when I should be with them.

I recently did a push-up challenge inspired by @Shono. The premise was simple: do Wim Hoff breathing exercise, then exhale and do as many push ups as you can. Worked my way up to 55. Then I got a cold, had to stop for a short while. And decided not to return to it. Mostly because the weather here now is perfect for outdoor activities and I didn’t feel like breathing exercises from Wim Hoff were highest and best use of my time… instead, I started commute by bike to my office. Lungs are just as happy.

Lifestyle choices, when one remains flexible… are easier to keep. Generally I am in pretty good shape and yet I don’t have any obsession about being in “good shape”, like so many of my friends. Ironically, those who are most rigid seem to be less fit than me, because I keep pivoting and they don’t.

Same goes for breakfasts. Sometimes I’ll fast (skip breakfast), other times I’ll eat kale, spinach, eggs etc. Other times just a bagel with nut spread. That flexibility allows me to shift depending on what I plan to do that day. If I am heading into the office on my bike, no breakfast is perfect. If I want to do a big ride that day, I’ll try something with carbs. If I plan to be less active, stick to eggs and veggies.

Hope you find it helpful, its the same approach I use in my business … it seems to work. Get the general direction right, keep going in that direction and remain flexible on the route. :)

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I am definitely a ”experiment on myself” kind of guy. It’s probably easier to speak to things I didn’t try.

That said, life changes on us quickly and it’s important to remain flexible. Be able to substitute one thing for another. For example, with becoming a parent, I found it harder to stick to a Masters Swim club schedule, so I dropped swimming. But I found it easier to do hiking, cycling and a ton of other family activities. Basically things that don’t cost me time away from my fam when I should be with them.

I recently did a push-up challenge inspired by @Shono. The premise was simple: do Wim Hoff breathing exercise, then exhale and do as many push ups as you can. Worked my way up to 55. Then I got a cold, had to stop for a short while. And decided not to return to it. Mostly because the weather here now is perfect for outdoor activities and I didn’t feel like breathing exercises from Wim Hoff were highest and best use of my time… instead, I started commute by bike to my office. Lungs are just as happy.

Lifestyle choices, when one remains flexible… are easier to keep. Generally I am in pretty good shape and yet I don’t have any obsession about being in “good shape”, like so many of my friends. Ironically, those who are most rigid seem to be less fit than me, because I keep pivoting and they don’t.

Same goes for breakfasts. Sometimes I’ll fast (skip breakfast), other times I’ll eat kale, spinach, eggs etc. Other times just a bagel with nut spread. That flexibility allows me to shift depending on what I plan to do that day. If I am heading into the office on my bike, no breakfast is perfect. If I want to do a big ride that day, I’ll try something with carbs. If I plan to be less active, stick to eggs and veggies.

Hope you find it helpful, its the same approach I use in my business … it seems to work. Get the general direction right, keep going in that direction and remain flexible on the route. :)
Thank you for your take on the experiments you did. Flexibility always has been one of my core values in trying new things and habit forming. I do believe there are keystone habits and you can tweak everything around it.

For example this morning I had a late brunch with my girlfriend. First thing I ate all day because I slept in. It keeps in the variation and exactly as you stated: "are easier to keep."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.