The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stretching and My Experience With Ultimate Human Performance by Joe Hippensteel

Guru

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm not a huge fan of bodybuilding so maybe my response is a bit subjective but bodybuilding is terrible for flexibility. I felt like a heavy, stiff block of wood when I used to lift weights and I suffered from back pain.
This is currently my issue. If I don't lift weights and just stretch a little, my body feels fine. However, whenever I lift, my body gets tight and I have to stretch alot just to get it back to normal. My back and hips get really tight to the point, I don't want to lift and just want to stretch. I know I need both, but both are always fighting against each other.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
The most flexible my ankles ever were was after doing Kung Fu. It was from moving into and out of all those low positions. We didn’t feel like you were stretching but obviously we were.

Spot on. Those transitions use a lot of range. The same way maintaining a healthy weight is 80% nutrition. In mobility, 80% is in movement and transition vs static.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Glad to see others paying attention to flexibility/mobility and having the full range of motion.

I encourage people to mix static and dynamic stretches. Stretching is part of having a full range of motion. Being able to move in that range is also beneficial. Taking a squat, for example, you can have enough range to rest in a squat (most here cant rest in a squat for more than 5 min, I put my money on it). But can you move in and out, or transition to other functional movements?

I take inspiration from: Movement Parallels Life and Strength Side on youtube.

Ha, Trevor (Josh's brother often featured in the Strength Side videos) is my coach.

I see static stretching as primarily an injury prevention thing. Dynamic stretching is IMO a part of most activities and you employ it naturally in many movements as long as you're focusing on athleticism and not just pulling or pushing weights up and down.

I like primal movements for dynamic stretching and just freestyle movements in general (transitioning from one foot to another, going into a squat, moving into a bridge, crawling, etc.).

This is currently my issue. If I don't lift weights and just stretch a little, my body feels fine. However, whenever I lift, my body gets tight and I have to stretch alot just to get it back to normal. My back and hips get really tight to the point, I don't want to lift and just want to stretch. I know I need both, but both are always fighting against each other.

I've been stretching daily for almost 4 weeks already and I noticed that this happens for most activities. For example, after MMA my knees are quads are tighter. After running my entire body is tighter.

It is a sort of a fight but IMO it's a necessary fight if you're doing this for longevity like I do. Sure, you could just lift a lot and don't care about tightness but sooner or later you'll feel shitty. I'd rather be weaker and more supple than strong and stiff.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Ha, Trevor (Josh's brother often featured in the Strength Side videos) is my coach.

I see static stretching as primarily an injury prevention thing. Dynamic stretching is IMO a part of most activities and you employ it naturally in many movements as long as you're focusing on athleticism and not just pulling or pushing weights up and down.

I like primal movements for dynamic stretching and just freestyle movements in general (transitioning from one foot to another, going into a squat, moving into a bridge, crawling, etc.).

Similar approach here. I enjoy freestyle movement; lots of fun. I do static stretches to target specific areas (I had a 7hours flight yesterday and my lower back was stiff at the end. I worked on it with static stretches) and before bed. Aside from that, it is dynamic/freestyle.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World
I find that lifting and stretching go hand-in-hand. I guess it depends on how you lift, but going through a full range of motion, allowing the weight to stretch the muscle, as well as the huge increase in blood flow, all help massively.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@Antifragile, Michele Graglia, one of the top ultra-marathoners today, is also a huge believer in stretching. Here's what he says about it in his book Ultra:

I started doing yoga when Lauren and I moved to Los Angeles. In the beginning, I used it to stretch and work out some tightness due to constant running and overuse. By doing yoga, though, I got a better and better understanding of how my body works. Because when you put yourself in certain positions and when you twist a certain way, you feel where it’s pulling, stretching, opening up. You explore every part of your physical body with its blood and breath and consciousness. And the more you do it, the more you get in tune with your body until you radiate well-being. Now, I get up every day and do an hour of yoga. I’ve been doing it regularly, and I haven’t had any injuries or problems ever since.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@Antifragile, Michele Graglia, one of the top ultra-marathoners today, is also a huge believer in stretching. Here's what he says about it in his book Ultra:

He’s a serious performer! From a quick internet search:

On 11 October 2020, Graglia won the Moab 240in 61 hours, 43 minutes, and 15 seconds.[11]Graglia took the first place early on in the race and was tightly followed by fellow runner David Goggins until Graglia grew their gap during the second half of the race, at one point, close to 20 miles separated the two. Graglia would end up grabbing the first place, with an advance of almost 1 hour and a half over Goggins who would finish second.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.