• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB SCHOOL Growing A Web Design Business From Zero

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by dmichaelmccann, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ShellShock

ShellShock Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $257
    @jcvlds that is exactly what i am talking about.

2. jcvlds

jcvlds JC FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $818
    Best way to answer your question then would be to do it, test it, and look at results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,598
    Oh, I see. Yes I've seen that approach to selling big ticket products. Can it be used to sell custom services for a few thousand dollars? I don't know. Maybe someone on the forum has tested that?

4. dmichaelmccann

dmichaelmccann Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,643
    Thanks for the replies and advice everyone, I’m really glad to hear this thread has inspired people and I definitely plan on keeping it going.

Just going through a bit of a rough patch right now but I know I’ll turn it around soon!

Late Bloomer likes this.
  5. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,044
    It could be your sales process. Maybe fox can help you with that. The ability to sell and influence is probably just as important as providing results.

Late Bloomer and dmichaelmccann like this.
  6. dmichaelmccann

dmichaelmccann Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,643
    I had a call with Fox a few days ago and wanted to share the summary and what I've been doing with everyone.

So we talked about what's been going on and looked over a few of the sites I've built, and the problem was that although they look good, the businesses I worked with were just too small and not getting enough traffic to see great results. This was completely my fault, as when I started I was just too eager to build a website for anyone that wanted to work with me, and I didn't really take the time to screen for clients that I could actually get huge results for. Fox stressed the importance of client selection in the course but I thought if I just built a good site the rest would take care of itself. I learned the hard way that this is not true, and if you are just starting out please don't make the same mistake.

After we talked about that we made a plan of action and decided that I should reach out to some people with established businesses via the forum or facebook. We both agreed that even if I have to do one more site for free, which is a bit of a step backwards, if I can get results for an established business (that is already getting substantial website traffic) then I can take my own business to new heights and really start making big sales.

Since the call I've been in contact with a few forum members with much bigger businesses than the ones I have been working with, and I have closed two deals, including one full website build for $300 for a big time consultant (basically free + project costs since I want to put some money into this one to make it really good). The other job is ongoing edits at a low price to a Wordpress e-commerce store for a pretty established clothing brand.

The profit on these two jobs isn't too high for me but I'm super excited to get the chance to work with some bigger brands. I think this is a necessary step for my business and if I do good work then this time the results will come in for sure. Overall, things are looking up!

Silver Silk and Huracan like this.
  7. Maxboost

Rep Bank:
    $3,044
    Yup I learned this the hard way as well. Its hard to sell when you don't have results.

dmichaelmccann likes this.
  8. dmichaelmccann

Rep Bank:
    $1,643
    Headed out to college in 5 days; it's crazy how fast this summer has gone. Progress hasn't been as fast I expected going into the summer, but I think I still made some good strides and am on the right path.

I'm currently making some final revisions to the consultant website, should be online in the next couple days. This is definitely my best site yet and I'm excited to see it finally go online and start getting the client results.

Edits for the Wordpress e-commerce store I mentioned before are still ongoing. Client and I have added some cool features and made good progress on it so far, but there is likely still more to be done in the coming weeks/months.

I'll be working hard the next few days to get everything wrapped up before I leave for college. Once I'm there I'll probably be taking a few days off to get acclimated and get everything set up before I start looking for new clients again.

It's a fairly large school so there should be some business networking/entrepreneur club opportunities that I can try to take advantage of right away. Just generally getting the word out there that I'm the guy to go to on campus if you know someone who needs a website will also be a priority. Apart from that I'll start making calls again eventually and try to bring in some referrals from past satisfied clients, since I have a few now.

I'm also planning on increasing prices big time from now on. With my current portfolio there is no reason I shouldn't be able to sell at least low-mid 4 figure sites to businesses. If I can't communicate and show that value now then there's a serious problem with my sales system.

Hoping to update you guys soon with my first 4 figure sale!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Gymjunkie, Davidc and Maxboost like this.
  9. dmichaelmccann

Rep Bank:
    $1,643
    Moving ahead with a full redesign for the fashion e-commerce store I was working with previously. We looked through the results the store had been getting so far and decided that the best option would be to overhaul it and do it 100% right this time around. I closed this one at $450, which is a little on the cheaper side, but we've been working together at lower price points already so I decided it would be best to keep it consistent. It is my biggest job in terms of money so far though so that's exciting. The redesign is also for the front end only; won't have to do a whole lot in terms of woo-commerce configurations which is what really drives the price up for e-commerce I think.

Just as a life update college has been great so far and I'm settling in nicely. I've never lived with roommates or in a dorm before so it was a bit of an adjustment but overall I like the new environment. In terms of my schedule I really couldn't have asked for anything better, as my classes are finished by noon every single day. This leaves me plenty of time to do web design work even though I do have some homework I've got to get done in the afternoons. I think I'll be able to get in at least 3-4 hours a day most days which is plenty to handle 1 or 2 clients at a time.

I'm about to start up just sending a few proposals a day again for bigger projects as I'm working on this current site. I've taken a bit of time off actively trying to make sales so it will be good to get back in. This site here is a bit of an exception but I really am looking for 4 figure sites only now. All of the university clubs start up this week or next week as well so that will be a chance to start doing some networking and see what opportunities are out there.

AdrianB and jcvlds like this.
  10. Gymjunkie

Gymjunkie Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,435
    Congrats on progress and clients. I would suggest starting to think about niching down into a niche and owning it. Makes life easier and prices higher.

Here is a bit of a blueprint of evolution of web designers, great heads up for you:

The 7 Stages of WordPress Professional Growth | WP Elevation

If all goes well you won't be selling 4-figure websites, but 5-figure ones.
    Keep up the work!

Silver Silk and dmichaelmccann like this.
  11. dmichaelmccann

Rep Bank:
    $1,643
    Hey everyone!

I apologize for the long time without an update; I've been pretty busy with college and web design so have not had a chance to be too active on the forum.

Just some general updates on how things have been going:

Fashion e-commerce store is nearly finished, just need to make some final revisions and get a few things from the client. This one has been moving pretty slowly so I'm excited to see it up soon so it can start getting results.

No new sales have been made yet but I am closing in on a potentially decent sized one for a financial consultant. She was referred to me by my aunt and liked the work that I have on my portfolio thus far. I'm headed back to New Jersey next week to discuss details in person and hopefully close the sale. It could potentially be my first 4 figure one which I am excited about, I'll let you all know what happens.

College has definitely gotten busier and there is less time for the business than I originally estimated but I'm still trying to put some time in on most days. Doesn't always happen but as long as I keep moving forward and growing I'll be happy.

Silver Silk and GWan like this.
  12. Maxboost

Rep Bank:
    $3,044
    Make sure to network while you are in college. I wish I did that. Networking is everything

Silver Silk and dmichaelmccann like this.
  13. Silver Silk

Silver Silk Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $549
    "Your network is your networth" I deem this to be somewhat true, cant remember who said it, heard it on a podcast.

@dmichaelmccann wish you the best of luck on closing your first 4 figure client!

dmichaelmccann likes this.