The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mind your mental health on your journey as an entrepreneur

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
I've always been an entrepreneur, for as long as I can remember. I never bought into the blue pill corporate system (the slow lane) that the majority of our society subscribes to. When you're a kid, you dream of being a rock star or a race car driver. I know I did. But even back then, I also had dreams of doing something cool that didn't involve fame. It was obvious to me at an early age that I was entrepreneurial. I wanted to do it my way and buck the system.

What I didn't anticipate way back then, is being 47 years old and spending most of my adult life working in the corporate world, failing to achieve those dreams. And being deeply unhappy as a result. Outside of a 5 year stint where I didn't quite make enough money from my full time self-employed income, I have had the regular 9-5 job that I never really wanted. During that short stint, where I should have changed course sooner, but kept at it anyway, I racked up quite a bit of credit card debt, believing I could make it work, believing you had to invest everything you had and then some to make something succeed. Looking back, I'm surprised my wife was supportive of all that. I finally changed course and got another job, then another, and before you know it, 15 years have flown by working for someone else.

That last failure pushed me to take a break pursuing my self employment dream for several years. It was refreshing to just take a break from all of the obsession and exhausting work, and just collect a paycheck. So much less stress. We had 2 daughters in that time and pursuing my childhood dream took a back seat. I settled into the slow lane for about 3-5 years.

About 8 years ago, I realized I needed to get back on the horse, and push to make it happen. While working for someone else this whole time, I still had some side hustle money from online forums that I owned, which required little time to maintain and it acted as a reminder of what was still possible. Though the stability of a regular paycheck had been comforting, I knew I wasn't cut out to be a cog in someone else's business plans, with no path for the freedom and experiences I've long yearned for. So I started working on new projects again, while taking on some side work to get some more skills in some of the directions I might go. I get involved in this forum and other groups. I was determined to get to where I wanted to be, and nothing was going to stop me.

Well, as of today, after many more failed ventures, I'm still employed full time and don't have a clear path to get to where I want to be. My latest venture has even put us in more debt than the last time I racked up credit card debt. What's been so infuriating is that I know my dreams are possible. I see people around me achieving similar dreams. Being a member of this forum (and others) has shown me that it's completely possible. I just haven't been able to crack the code. I've spent the better part of 25 years trying. And up until recently, I had no doubts I would eventually get there. Work your a$$ off. Identify opportunities. Take risks. It will happen. Or..... maybe it won't.

There is one thing I would suggest to others who have gone down this path and have not been able to succeed the way they thought they were going to - take care of your mental health along the way. This is something I haven't done, and I'm in a real bad place because of it. I find myself thinking about ways I might leave this earth that would be the least traumatic for my family to endure, allowing them to make use of insurance money, instead of being subjected to my cynical, bitter attitude, and constant failures bringing them down. These tend to be fleeting thoughts, but they have become more frequent with the latest business failures. The self loathing, the constant feelings of hopelessness and being numb, the inability to talk to my wife about it, knowing that it would be futile. These are all things you should probably pay attention to before they become debilitating and all-consuming. Address them early on. Prepare for the times when they are too much to endure.

I don't know if a loss of testosterone can be attributed to these feelings or not, but at this age, that might be something to look into as well. It would probably be a good idea to talk to a therapist when these thoughts start sneaking into your subconscious. Don't listen to yourself when you say that talking to somebody about it won't change the fact that you don't believe you'll ever be able to achieve your dreams, so what's the point of continuing to play the game? Those thoughts tend to become cemented in your psyche after many years.

If you can find joy in the journey, that is key. I haven't been able to. Find hobbies and experiences that bring you joy and do them. Unfortunately, most of the things that have always brought me joy require money, and so I put them off until I "make it". I can't think of many activities that bring me much joy these days. Sure, there is always excitement starting on new projects, but when each one fails or brings only marginal results, that excitement fades. It makes it harder to get excited about future ideas. I also haven't found joy in the idea of giving up on my life-long dreams and giving into the slow lane. But I've come to the realization that there is a chance that I may never get to where I have always wanted to be. And I don't know how to reconcile with that. It just doesn't compute. And I feel like I have some tough decisions to make.

I have a great family that I love and that loves me, and we live a fairly comfortable middle class life. I've been happily married for nearly 23 years. It's just not the type of life I have always worked hard towards having, or the one I always felt I would have - at least from a financial and freedom stand point. But shouldn't it be enough? Should I continue trying new ideas until something hits? I'm exhausted dealing with myself. I've become such a paradox it's not even funny. I know the deep pain and mental anguish others feel that they don't share with anyone. I understand what it can do to you.

I honestly don't know why I'm posting this here. I have nowhere else to post these words, but I feel like I should post them somewhere. Not to get help from anyone, as I don't feel like anyone can truly help me. Only I can help me, but I'm failing at that too. I'm not looking for a pep talk or attention. I'm really not. None of my family members or friends would ever understand any of this. But maybe by posting this here, in this community, someone else out there might be able to relate and maybe they'll see the importance of making their mental health a priority while they go through the difficult journey of being an entrepreneur. Don't end up like me. Bitter. Cynical. Angry. Anguish. Disgusted. With a "F*ck it all" attitude. Keeping it all inside and never letting anyone know about it.

Invest in your mental well being early on in the process. Know that the journey can be soul crushing, no matter how determined you are. No matter how positive you start out or how relentless you think you are. Working on your mental health can only do you good. I wish I had done it - or found a way to be perfectly content with the blue pill. One of the two. Maybe there's still time to do one or the other, or both. I don't really know. But I do know that failing your whole life takes a huge toll. And you'd better be prepared to deal with failures more than you think you need to be.

There is a lot of great advice in this forum. And I thank all of those who have taken the time to share it. I salute all of those who have persevered and achieved their dreams. I know it wasn't easy. I'm deeply envious. I hope others who come through here are able to make their dreams come true. Here's the only advice I feel qualified enough to share - do take care of yourself in the process. There may come a time when it will save you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I've always been an entrepreneur, for as long as I can remember. I never bought into the blue pill corporate system (the slow lane) that the majority of our society subscribes to. When you're a kid, you dream of being a rock star or a race car driver. I know I did. But even back then, I also had dreams of doing something cool that didn't involve fame. It was obvious to me at an early age that I was entrepreneurial. I wanted to do it my way and buck the system.

What I didn't anticipate way back then, is being 47 years old and spending most of my adult life working in the corporate world, failing to achieve those dreams. And being deeply unhappy as a result. Outside of a 5 year stint where I didn't quite make enough money from my full time self-employed income, I have had the regular 9-5 job that I never really wanted. During that short stint, where I should have changed course sooner, but kept at it anyway, I racked up quite a bit of credit card debt, believing I could make it work, believing you had to invest everything you had and then some to make something succeed. Looking back, I'm surprised my wife was supportive of all that. I finally changed course and got another job, then another, and before you know it, 15 years have flown by working for someone else.

That last failure pushed me to take a break pursuing my self employment dream for several years. It was refreshing to just take a break from all of the obsession and exhausting work, and just collect a paycheck. So much less stress. We had 2 daughters in that time and pursuing my childhood dream took a back seat. I settled into the slow lane for about 3-5 years.

About 8 years ago, I realized I needed to get back on the horse, and push to make it happen. While working for someone else this whole time, I still had some side hustle money from online forums that I owned, which required little time to maintain and it acted as a reminder of what was still possible. Though the stability of a regular paycheck had been comforting, I knew I wasn't cut out to be a cog in someone else's business plans, with no path for the freedom and experiences I've long yearned for. So I started working on new projects again, while taking on some side work to get some more skills in some of the directions I might go. I get involved in this forum and other groups. I was determined to get to where I wanted to be, and nothing was going to stop me.

Well, as of today, after many more failed ventures, I'm still employed full time and don't have a clear path to get to where I want to be. My latest venture has even put us in more debt than the last time I racked up credit card debt. What's been so infuriating is that I know my dreams are possible. I see people around me achieving similar dreams. Being a member of this forum (and others) has shown me that it's completely possible. I just haven't been able to crack the code. I've spent the better part of 25 years trying. And up until recently, I had no doubts I would eventually get there. Work your a$$ off. Identify opportunities. Take risks. It will happen. Or..... maybe it won't.

There is one thing I would suggest to others who have gone down this path and have not been able to succeed the way they thought they were going to - take care of your mental health along the way. This is something I haven't done, and I'm in a real bad place because of it. I find myself thinking about ways I might leave this earth that would be the least traumatic for my family to endure, allowing them to make use of insurance money, instead of being subjected to my cynical, bitter attitude, and constant failures bringing them down. These tend to be fleeting thoughts, but they have become more frequent with the latest business failures. The self loathing, the constant feelings of hopelessness and being numb, the inability to talk to my wife about it, knowing that it would be futile. These are all things you should probably pay attention to before they become debilitating and all-consuming. Address them early on. Prepare for the times when they are too much to endure.

I don't know if a loss of testosterone can be attributed to these feelings or not, but at this age, that might be something to look into as well. It would probably be a good idea to talk to a therapist when these thoughts start sneaking into your subconscious. Don't listen to yourself when you say that talking to somebody about it won't change the fact that you don't believe you'll ever be able to achieve your dreams, so what's the point of continuing to play the game? Those thoughts tend to become cemented in your psyche after many years.

If you can find joy in the journey, that is key. I haven't been able to. Find hobbies and experiences that bring you joy and do them. Unfortunately, most of the things that have always brought me joy require money, and so I put them off until I "make it". I can't think of many activities that bring me much joy these days. Sure, there is always excitement starting on new projects, but when each one fails or brings only marginal results, that excitement fades. It makes it harder to get excited about future ideas. I also haven't found joy in the idea of giving up on my life-long dreams and giving into the slow lane. But I've come to the realization that there is a chance that I may never get to where I have always wanted to be. And I don't know how to reconcile with that. It just doesn't compute. And I feel like I have some tough decisions to make.

I have a great family that I love and that loves me, and we live a fairly comfortable middle class life. I've been happily married for nearly 23 years. It's just not the type of life I have always worked hard towards having, or the one I always felt I would have - at least from a financial and freedom stand point. But shouldn't it be enough? Should I continue trying new ideas until something hits? I'm exhausted dealing with myself. I've become such a paradox it's not even funny. I know the deep pain and mental anguish others feel that they don't share with anyone. I understand what it can do to you.

I honestly don't know why I'm posting this here. I have nowhere else to post these words, but I feel like I should post them somewhere. Not to get help from anyone, as I don't feel like anyone can truly help me. Only I can help me, but I'm failing at that too. I'm not looking for a pep talk or attention. I'm really not. None of my family members or friends would ever understand any of this. But maybe by posting this here, in this community, someone else out there might be able to relate and maybe they'll see the importance of making their mental health a priority while they go through the difficult journey of being an entrepreneur. Don't end up like me. Bitter. Cynical. Angry. Anguish. Disgusted. With a "F*ck it all" attitude. Keeping it all inside and never letting anyone know about it.

Invest in your mental well being early on in the process. Know that the journey can be soul crushing, no matter how determined you are. No matter how positive you start out or how relentless you think you are. Working on your mental health can only do you good. I wish I had done it - or found a way to be perfectly content with the blue pill. One of the two. Maybe there's still time to do one or the other, or both. I don't really know. But I do know that failing your whole life takes a huge toll. And you'd better be prepared to deal with failures more than you think you need to be.

There is a lot of great advice in this forum. And I thank all of those who have taken the time to share it. I salute all of those who have persevered and achieved their dreams. I know it wasn't easy. I'm deeply envious. I hope others who come through here are able to make their dreams come true. Here's the only advice I feel qualified enough to share - do take care of yourself in the process. There may come a time when it will save you.

Thank you for sharing your story. It is an important cautionary tale for others.

Even if you have to put your entrepreneurial dreams on pause, I would remind you that we wake up everyday and get to decide what we want to do with the rest of our lives. Leave the past in the past. Own your choice no matter what.

As you said, no one can help you but you. But if you need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out. You and I are the same age. At a slightly younger period of my life, I felt many of the same or at least similar feelings.

Congrats on your happy marriage of 23 years. That's an accomplishment that few on here can boast. I wish mine had worked out. Maybe we could be of help to each other... Lol.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany

I didn't read everything but a good chunk so I'll leave my opinion/advice here:
In my opinion, what you are doing (trying to live up to your dreams) is awesome.
Imagine being in your 60s or whatever, hospitalized because of a heart attack, basically sitting on your death bed (I don't know how realistic this situation is, let's just imagine it is lol)
You feel deep regret. "What if I atleast tried?"

Now imagine you gave your best from now on but still failed. Your response would be more like "Heh, at least I tried". In my opinion that's way better and might even give you peace.
And quite honestly, at least for me, if I live in alignment to my purpose and give my best, no matter how near I am the starting-line, I could theoretically die instantly and that in peace. This might sound weird, but that's just the way I feel.
So give your best!

You and I are the same age.
YO WHAT. I THOUGHT YOU WERE LIKE 31

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
What signs were pointing to that? Have you done something early on to prove that to yourself?
What I didn't anticipate way back then, is being 47 years old and spending most of my adult life working in the corporate world, failing to achieve those dreams.
But you have achieved many others in the process - and you still have the grit to keep moving and trying. 47 is still nothing in the process of life.
And being deeply unhappy as a result. Outside of a 5 year stint where I didn't quite make enough money from my full time self-employed income, I have had the regular 9-5 job that I never really wanted.
What did you do during those 5 years? Why was it not as profitable as you wanted?
During that short stint, where I should have changed course sooner, but kept at it anyway, I racked up quite a bit of credit card debt, believing I could make it work, believing you had to invest everything you had and then some to make something succeed. Looking back, I'm surprised my wife was supportive of all that. I finally changed course and got another job, then another, and before you know it, 15 years have flown by working for someone else.
What is it that you were doing that kept pushing you further into the hole? Look for ways to bootstrap and make your business profitable without a sizeable investment. Every one of our businesses has been started with <$1K -- and investments only piled on once proof of concern and profit was established. We never had much to play around with, and only played on low risk, high reward opportunities (mostly ecommerce or digital marketing).
Nothing wrong with that - doing what you need to do and giving yourself some breathing room. Hopefully payed off some debt as well. I always advise having a solid income base while you are building up your business/fastlane (much less stress). BUT I do understand now as a DAD the time constraints that come from all directions once you have a house/wife/kids/family around.
What were these skills / projects?
Well, as of today, after many more failed ventures,
Can you identify why they all 'failed'? Did you learn anything during the time?
I'm still employed full time and don't have a clear path to get to where I want to be. My latest venture has even put us in more debt than the last time I racked up credit card debt.
Take care of the debt first.
What's been so infuriating is that I know my dreams are possible.
Absolutely!
I see people around me achieving similar dreams. Being a member of this forum (and others) has shown me that it's completely possible. I just haven't been able to crack the code. I've spent the better part of 25 years trying. And up until recently, I had no doubts I would eventually get there. Work your a$$ off. Identify opportunities. Take risks. It will happen. Or..... maybe it won't.
This thread highlights that not all trials and paths lead immediately to 'overnight' success.

For every youtuber currently who makes hundreds of thousands of month driving Lambos - there are these stories such as yours and I command you for coming out and sharing. Your past doesn't define your future - but certainly some adjustments need to be made to get you profitable!
Make a plan on moving forward. Mental / physical health should be priority #1. Obviously get your finances squared away. Get out of debt. Work and have a plan towards working on a business that doesn't consume inordinate amount of resources away from you.

Figure out how to get yourself in a good place mentally first. Find joy in simple pleasures. Find joy in the PROCESS and curiosity of entrepreneurship. Many trials and efforts end up nowhere, even for experienced entrepreneurs such as @NeoDialectic and myself. Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean it will moving forward. It's all a revolving door of starting over, trying, iterating and moving on and forward from that.
I have a great family that I love and that loves me, and we live a fairly comfortable middle class life. I've been happily married for nearly 23 years.
That's more than many can say.
It's just not the type of life I have always worked hard towards having, or the one I always felt I would have - at least from a financial and freedom stand point. But shouldn't it be enough? Should I continue trying new ideas until something hits? I'm exhausted dealing with myself. I've become such a paradox it's not even funny. I know the deep pain and mental anguish others feel that they don't share with anyone. I understand what it can do to you.
Thanks for coming here and sharing! It's important to highlight the cons and sometimes the mental anguish that come with this journey. It's not cake walk for anyone and does take a toll.

What's your current job/position in? Any way to improve on that?

You need to figure out a gameplan and keep on executing on it. Get yourself checked out by a doctor make sure your physical is in top shape as well.

Curious to hear what you actually attempted, and WHY it failed or didn't succeed as you wanted. I'm sure many here will benefit from hearing that as well.

Good Luck !!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.