The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing to Local Business Owners

Marketing, social media, advertising

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
I am preparing to send out a Email Web Questionaire to do market research for a new website aiming to provide services for local businesses. What are the best methods you have found to get email addresses from businesses? I am trying some WebScraping methods, but I worry about the quality of the email addresses.

What are you thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MAU

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Mar 10, 2016
Silver Spring Maryland
I am preparing to send out a Email Web Questionaire to do market research for a new website aiming to provide services for local businesses. What are the best methods you have found to get email addresses from businesses? I am trying some WebScraping methods, but I worry about the quality of the email addresses.

What are you thoughts?

To clarify, you are looking to have local business give you E - Mail addresses of their clients?
If so the best way I believe to form a partnership with these businesses. Many routinely ask their clients their e-mail address when checking out so it would be no more intrusive to the client or business. Just you would have to offer them something to make it worth their while.

MAU

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
@MAU

Let me clarify, I am putting together a service that will help local businesses stand out among bigger companies with a bigger advertising budget. I am trying to obtain the email addresses related to buying partners, business owners or those who would be in charge of advertising.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi @Brett877

I wouldn't know how to scrape/find the best email addresses of local business owners - it's not something I've done.

Some thoughts though:

Have you helped any businesses to do what you propose?

Do you already know business owners you can meet with and sell this idea to?

Can you leverage your current network and relationships, rather than cold email a questionnaire to business owners?

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
im trying to utilize cold emailing as well to get appointments more efficiently. cold calling is just too crazy BY ITSELF since I am not that good.

today is the first day i sent out some cold emails I have prepared. I have made the initial cold email as well as follow ups and departure emails. I am currently "blasting" this email to everyone of my prospect's "contact us" box on their website.

ill test out different ones and let you know what works by the end of this week.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
i told you i gotchu bro lol

here you go:

download sellhack extension on your browser. i just tested it out on a prospect, and it works for me. reviews look good too, and it was referred to me by the CEO of coldemailing.com

you can use that to find email addresses of any company, big or small.

use it to find the email addresses of 3 people above your target decision maker and use the following template

http://www.breakthroughemail.com/coldemailtemplate.pdf

good luck

Last edited:

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
@Andy Black I do have some connections that own businesses and can give me insight, but I want a much broader unbiased view. I have found when someone knows it's "you" asking the questions they are biased. So wanted to do an anonymous email campaign.

@OVOvince Thank you I will have to read up on that today.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
@Andy Black I do have some connections that own businesses and can give me insight, but I want a much broader unbiased view. I have found when someone knows it's "you" asking the questions they are biased. So wanted to do an anonymous email campaign.

@OVOvince Thank you I will have to read up on that today.

Generally speaking even when you ask questions to strangers there will be a chance it will be bias.

Make sure you framework your questions to get you answers that aren't politically correct.

If you go to "how to start a startup", they have a video called "how to run a user interview". They give out some good question formats to use.

Brett877

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 9, 2014
Missouri
@Get Right That was the plan, get the emails, quickly explain the value of answering the questions, ask to take the survey and collect the responses.

My concern is getting people who are my target customers to see the reason why i want them to take the survey and the link to do so.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
@Get Right That was the plan, get the emails, quickly explain the value of answering the questions, ask to take the survey and collect the responses.

My concern is getting people who are my target customers to see the reason why i want them to take the survey and the link to do so.

I guess what I was trying to convey is that Survey Monkey does all that for you. No need for e-mails or links, they already have your target demo lists.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

This is worth solving btw.

If you can't get your request to take a survey in front of your target market, then you might find problems getting your offer in front of them later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.