The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketing a product best suited for SEO

Marketing, social media, advertising

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
I have a small business that gets most of its customers through SEO and the rest through word of mouth. I'm currently doing no marketing. The reason is I don't know who to target exactly. My customer base covers virtually every industry and a wide variety of roles. However, across that wide range, my customers occupy a narrow slice and I don't know how to figure out who might be in that slice or how to reach them. SEO works well because it allows that slice to find me. However, there are only so many relevant searches performed every month and I want to expand. I've been assuming that some products aren't well suited for advertising and mine was one, but I'm revisiting that assumption.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any resources or processes I could use to figure out how to successfully market my product to those who need it but haven't bothered to search for it? Or am I best off leaving it to SEO alone?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 26, 2018
I have a small business that gets most of its customers through SEO and the rest through word of mouth. I'm currently doing no marketing. The reason is I don't know who to target exactly. My customer base covers virtually every industry and a wide variety of roles. However, across that wide range, my customers occupy a narrow slice and I don't know how to figure out who might be in that slice or how to reach them. SEO works well because it allows that slice to find me. However, there are only so many relevant searches performed every month and I want to expand. I've been assuming that some products aren't well suited for advertising and mine was one, but I'm revisiting that assumption.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any resources or processes I could use to figure out how to successfully market my product to those who need it but haven't bothered to search for it? Or am I best off leaving it to SEO alone?
You're going to have to either give a little more details on your niche or hire a marketing consultant privately if you're not comfortable sharing here. Kind of hard to give advice with what you've shared above. Until then, maybe this resource might spark ideas? https://www.marketingminds.co.nz/wp...Minds-2021-Marketing-Toolbox-and-Measures.pdf

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

You can try look alike audiences of your customers based on email lists. This can work on social and Google display ads.

You can also create custom audiences in Google ads and target them with display ads. One of my favorite tactics is to target people who visit websites of your competitors. You can also create a custom audience based on search terms.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
The reason is I don't know who to target exactly.
What customer segment makes you the most money?

Without knowing your business or anything about it, go read a handful of blogs on "They Ask, You Answer." Here's the summary, essentially it's answering any question your audience could have about your service, and not shying away from the "propriety pricing" or anything like that.

They-Ask-You-Answer-2.png

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If SEO is working then have a look at your visitor search terms and consider running Google Ads on those (to get more visitors and more data), and remarketing etc that BizyDad suggests.

Surely you know a bit about your best clients, and about those you wouldn’t touch with a barge pole? Can that help you figure out more patterns about who you help?

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
You're going to have to either give a little more details on your niche or hire a marketing consultant privately if you're not comfortable sharing here. Kind of hard to give advice with what you've shared above. Until then, maybe this resource might spark ideas? https://www.marketingminds.co.nz/wp...Minds-2021-Marketing-Toolbox-and-Measures.pdf
Thanks, I'll consider each of those. I can say it's desktop software and it's boring and pragmatic. My customers are about an even mix between individuals and businesses. They tend to be more technical. If you ever become an INSIDERS, I keep a progress thread there.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
You can try look alike audiences of your customers based on email lists. This can work on social and Google display ads.

You can also create custom audiences in Google ads and target them with display ads. One of my favorite tactics is to target people who visit websites of your competitors. You can also create a custom audience based on search terms.
Hmmm... I'll have to look more into the look alike audiences. I also like the idea of targeting those who search for my competitors. I'm guessing those terms would be cheap, but I'll research it.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
If SEO is working then have a look at your visitor search terms and consider running Google Ads on those (to get more visitors and more data), and remarketing etc that BizyDad suggests.

Surely you know a bit about your best clients, and about those you wouldn’t touch with a barge pole? Can that help you figure out more patterns about who you help?
To be honest, it's been a while since I've analyzed who my customers are and it seemed to be all over the place, albeit with a few discernable patterns. Perhaps now with several times more data, I should give it another shot and list out the top industries and roles in search of new patterns.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.