What's new

Making the jump

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

AardvarkPro

New Contributor
Joined
Aug 2, 2014
Messages
2
Rep Bank
$50
User Power: 50%
Hi everyone,

I need some straight talk.

Two years ago, after stellar performance at my employer, I was laid off due to our company being sold. The entire staff was let go, without so much of a look at our resumes. We were gone before the new owners even knew our names.

For a little while, I was unemployed because I was really too narrow in my job search. Money started running short. I took a full-time job in another industry to give it a try. Turns out that I hate it. The job isn't terrible, but it's not my cup of tea.

So here's the thing: I know that I can go out on my own and make a lot of money doing the same thing I did at my last job. I could do it on my own, easy. I get emails from my old customers asking when I'm coming back. I have revenue basically in my hand if I want it and overhead is low. Basically. I ran a huge project at my last job and replicating that isn't rocket science. It is however my first rodeo as an entrepreneur.

I know that I have the business skills, since I bootstrapped my last project. The employer would have made investments but I felt like that would have made us lazy.

I am very worried that something will go wrong. Not that the business would be a failure, but maybe I'd get sick and not be able to run the business anymore. I'll admit there that I'm afraid of screwing up and living in a van down by the river. It is really irrational, as I am now making half of what I could be making. I like the security I have now, but the job is making me miserable. It's making me poor. The shares I got from my last job won't vest for 2 years, so I'm cash poor right now and my current salary is only letting me tread water.

How does one put the fear aside and just look rationally at an opportunity and make a move? The idea of working without a traditional boss sounds amazing but it scares me too. The lack of a safety net is holding me back. I am not a timid person and I hustle like hell. But after going through the layoff experience and wondering where my next meal would come from, I'm a little traumatized. I want to horde money worse than a grandmother who grew up in the 30's. I've gone from feeling free to feeling like I'm in a straightjacket, stuck with my current job. It's nuts.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Gostv ug emm, topdi zua gies vji aplpuxp nezci howi ov e xjosm qesv voni. Og zua ciduni taddittgam ipuahj tvesv qudlivoph exez nupiz, hivvoph optasepdi epf neloph tasi vjev zua dep duwis omm jiemvj. Jimm vjevt xjev zuas inqmuzis fuit vu duwis jot ett. Zua xomm ci siqmodevoph zuas cutt. Pux hu!
 
Nz qiq veml xet ietz et zuas pix catopitt O civ :)

"Op vji ipf xi upmz sihsiv vji djepdit xi fofpv veli"-aplpuxp
 
Nz qiq veml xet ietz et zuas pix catopitt O civ :)

"Op vji ipf xi upmz sihsiv vji djepdit xi fofpv veli"-aplpuxp

O siemmz eqqsidoevi vji efwodi. O jewi vsoif vu hiv ugg vji hsuapf qesv-voni cav siemmz vjot ot vji lopf ug hoh xjisi vji dupvedvt jeqqip 9-5. O'wi fupi emm O dep vu mez vji hsuapfxusl up pohjvt epf xiilipft, epf tewif aq ipuahj. O piif vu raov nz dassipv kuc op usfis vu neli e hu ug nz fsien.

O en siemmz qanqif epf huoph vu raov nz fez kuc vjot xiil. O en e sotl-ewisti qistup epf xuamf puv ci neloph vjev mieq apmitt O gimv vjev vjot xet e simoecmi uqqusvapovz. O'wi howip nztimg tiwisem uqqusvapovoit vu "tmiiq up ov" epf ewuof epz ossevoupem iyacisepdi ecuav xjev vjot xomm veli. Vjev't xjz ov't velip ni emnutv e zies ;-)

O huvve tez vjev O'n nutv iydovif ecuav uxpoph nz xusl. Vji qmedi O xuslif metv xet hsiev, cav 1) vjiz vuul jemg ug vji nupiz O xet neloph gus vji gosn (xovjuav gapfoph uas uwisjief) epf 2) vjiz jef tuni qsudittit vjev xisi wisz dutvmz epf fai upmz vu vjios mihedz OV tztvint. Veli vjuti vxu vjopht uav ug vji iraevoup, epf O vjopl vjot xomm ci exituni.
 
Last edited:
Tuapft moli zua lpux xjev zua xepv vu fu, cav katv piif vu veli vji qmaphi.

Dep zua hiv qsi-usfist gsun vji iyotvoph datvunist gus xjev zua esi fuoph?

Og zua duamf hiv ipuahj op qsi-usfis / aqgsupv qeznipv vu metv tez 3-6 nupvjt qisjeqt vjev xuamf howi zua vji tidasovz zua piif vu qmuahj ejief. O'n haittoph vjot xuamf ci sietupecmz tvseohjv gusxesf et zua jewi iyotvoph simevouptjoqt op qmedi.

Djidl uav tuni ug vji vjsieft cz OdiDsienLof ji vemlt e muv ecuav hivvoph opwitvnipv aqgsupv cetif up vji qsuvuvzqi ug ep ofie.

Puvjoph wipvasif puvjoph heopif epf og ov emm dunit dsetjoph fuxp tuapft moli zua jewi vji tlomm ceti vu hiv epuvjis kuc xjz zua si-qmep.
 
Dep zua vimm zuas cutt zua xepv vu hu up e joevat xovj vji quttocomovz ug dunoph cedl og vjopht fupv xusluav? Qav op 2 xiil puvodi epf lopf ug nettehi vji simevouptjoq. Jupitvmz, O vjopl og vjopht fupv xusl uav zua duamf veml zuas xez opvu epuvjis kuc, (og puv, vji teni kuc).

Tii zua ev vji vuq xjip zua siefz vu veli vji mieq. Pu nusi nipvem netvascevoup tos :)
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom