The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking to change lanes... YouTube channel?

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

Stumegu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 17, 2021
North West UK
Hi, I'm a 40 something IT manager with 20+ years experience in the slow lane. I am thinking about using my knowledge of IT and end users to start a YouTube channel helping people to learn about computers and improve their work prospects.

My fear is that this subject is already well covered and I will struggle to get viewers and subscribers.

I welcome any thoughts or experience anyone can offer on this plan.

I like the fact that there are some barriers to entry here and the spammers aren't tolerated. I look forward to learning what I can and also contributing what little I can offer at this stage.

Regards Stu

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum, appreciate the intro.

My fear is that this subject is already well covered and I will struggle to get viewers and subscribers.

Of course you will, any new channel will struggle in the beginning. Your statement is likened to saying, "I'd like to get in fitness shape and maybe do a physique contest, but I'm afraid of sweating and getting into a gym."

Your statement is simply not congruent to reality.

As for the subject being covered, of course it is. Question is, can you do it better? Funnier? More actionable? Uniquer? What value skew will your channel offer over others?

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Welcome to the forum sir.

My guess is that if you do enough research, you will find gaps in other channels that you can fill with your considerable experience. As someone who is solidly in their 40s, being older has big advantages when it comes to your knowledge bank of situational experiences.

The beauty of YouTube is that personality and uniqueness can go a long way. You could literally give the same content but delivered in a unique way and you could win.

Look forward to hearing about your journey.

Stumegu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 17, 2021
North West UK
Welcome to the forum, appreciate the intro.

Of course you will, any new channel will struggle in the beginning. Your statement is likened to saying, "I'd like to get in fitness shape and maybe do a physique contest, but I'm afraid of sweating and getting into a gym."

Your statement is simply not congruent to reality.

As for the subject being covered, of course it is. Question is, can you do it better? Funnier? More actionable? Uniquer? What value skew will your channel offer over others?
Thanks MJ, that's pretty much where my mind is at the moment - how can I bring a usp to this area and what do people need that they're not getting now. I'm still a bit camera shy so I think bit might be a good idea to just get started and improve as I go. If I get onto a good USP later I could always update the prior videos.

Stumegu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 17, 2021
North West UK
Welcome to the forum sir.

My guess is that if you do enough research, you will find gaps in other channels that you can fill with your considerable experience. As someone who is solidly in their 40s, being older has big advantages when it comes to your knowledge bank of situational experiences.

The beauty of YouTube is that personality and uniqueness can go a long way. You could literally give the same content but delivered in a unique way and you could win.

Look forward to hearing about your journey.
Thanks Papagang. You're right about the research, I haven't done enough yet. I've seen one channel that's been producing for years but still doesn't have massive traction. I need to understand what they could be doing better vs the more popular channels. I think the subject can be quite dry so will have to work on that also.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hi, I'm a 40 something IT manager with 20+ years experience in the slow lane. I am thinking about using my knowledge of IT and end users to start a YouTube channel helping people to learn about computers and improve their work prospects.

I like the fact that there are some barriers to entry here and the spammers aren't tolerated. I look forward to learning what I can and also contributing what little I can offer at this stage.

Regards Stu
Crowded market often are not warning signs. It shows that there is demand and people are actually spend time watching them. Advertisers are willing to spend money to advertise on such contents.

I will check what is the best case scenario. Use Social Blade and estimate on the top performers in the niche. Add another 30% for sponsored ads. Get a rough idea on how much they make. Would it be worth your time if you make just 30% of what they make?

Is there any new way you can improve? What are some of your strength that these top performers do not have? If you have ideas on how to do things better. It could be a good choice to commit your time in.

Stumegu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 17, 2021
North West UK
Crowded market often are not warning signs. It shows that there is demand and people are actually spend time watching them. Advertisers are willing to spend money to advertise on such contents.

I will check what is the best case scenario. Use Social Blade and estimate on the top performers in the niche. Add another 30% for sponsored ads. Get a rough idea on how much they make. Would it be worth your time if you make just 30% of what they make?

Is there any new way you can improve? What are some of your strength that these top performers do not have? If you have ideas on how to do things better. It could be a good choice to commit your time in.
Thanks Kevin. I'm not familiar with that site so I'll check it out. It looks like a good way to research as you suggest.

I think most channels are specific to teaching software products like excel etc. I want to cover these but more from the users perspective and what they're likely to use In their day to day lives. I also think bit of personality is maybe missing from some of these channels.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Stumegu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 17, 2021
North West UK

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy, it looks like there are a few good threads on that list. I have some reading to do! Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll check it out.
You’re welcome.

You mention Excel. I thought of creating a course/channel on Excel but decided to focus on other stuff for the moment:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK

Interesting how people can commit 20 years of their life to other people’s projects yet when it comes to one of their own suddenly they have commitment issues.

Put and end to this. Start the channel. It takes two minutes.
Then move on to the next task on the list(make one):
- Organise the topics.
- Write the scripts.

You already have experience managing other people so this should be familiar to you.

Coming back to your experience, I think writing down what you have to do in easy to do tasks is the best way to go about this.

Stumegu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 17, 2021
North West UK
Interesting how people can commit 20 years of their life to other people’s projects yet when it comes to one of their own suddenly they have commitment issues.

Put and end to this. Start the channel. It takes two minutes.
Then move on to the next task on the list(make one):
- Organise the topics.
- Write the scripts.

You already have experience managing other people so this should be familiar to you.

Coming back to your experience, I think writing down what you have to do in easy to do tasks is the best way to go about this.
Hio Woken, thanks for the push!

I am doing this straight after reading fastlane. My hesitation is that I don't want to waste energy and time in the wrong pursuit. My initial comment was intended to solicit feedback from any existing youtubers about what they think the chances are of becoming successful in this area.

How long do you plug away at a channel with minimal views for example before changing direction? Or should i have some minimum expectations for number of views/subs growth to make it worthwhile?

I am working on this believe me, and reviewing some of the resources Andy Black has referred me to avoid some pitfalls that others have made. Lists are already started and I have an idea for branding for the channel...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Smajo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 14, 2024

Regards Stu
I think I can help

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.