• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Off-Topic Location-independent/digital nomad lifestyle - ask me anything

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by VentureVoyager, Aug 24, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. VoraciousReader

VoraciousReader New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $54
    Nice experience man

I'm off to Asia in a few weeks for an indefinite trip. Thanks for the motivation!

VentureVoyager likes this.
  2. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $110,952
    I don't open the boxes before signing for delivery. If you get a pallet or box of bricks it's too late already you've paid for the goods a month ago.

FastNAwesome, Magneto C and jon.a like this.
  3. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $110,952
    This is not just for travelers. I don't date doctors or lawyers. In fact, it's a turn off for me. It's not even the fact that they are tied to a location, but it's more of the high stress job and high number of work hours. That lifestyle doesn't mesh with mine at all. I don't mind someone tied to a location, but having 2 weeks of vacation a year is deal breaker for me.

FastNAwesome, G-Man, Omni and 7 others like this.
  4. Driven28

Driven28 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $360
    Inspired by @JasonR 's favorite places post earlier in the thread (good stuff, I agree with your choices 100%) - I'll take a few min to list my own before I start my grind today :)

But first - this --

I completely agree!

Of course, I'm at an advantage because I met my girlfriend of 4 years in the states, and we formed similar mindsets in regards to traveling/DN together.
    It's been a great experience for us, but we had our fair share of hiccups while we were away - and even spent some time split up and single.

All I can say is this: I very much believe in having a TON in common with your life partner (if a life partner is what you seek).
    I've done it both ways for extended periods in my life: partners with a ton in common, and others who "made up for my weaknesses"... or however you want to justify it. I think the downfalls of having too much in common are FAR outweighed by the pitfalls of not.

With a location independent mindset and lifestyle, it's critical you find someone who feels the same or who can quickly convert.
    It's similar to religion in a lot of ways... you can settle for someone with a different mindset, but you know deep down you're fucking yourself (and her... no pun).

Luckily, if you're FULLY exploring the community of like-minded individuals in each place you visit, there are some amazing people... and many of them are single.
    This lifestyle can automatically do the hard part for you -- filtering. It's like going to church 24/7/365... KNOWING that everyone there has a critical component in common with you. (I'm not religious by any definition of the word, by the way) Rearranging travel plans to accommodate one another is a drop in the bucket, at least compared to finding someone you click with.

Anyway, my .02 on that. I guess, as with anything in this world -- everyone's experience is different, and YMMV.

Now -- My favorite places over the past 2 years.

----------Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Koh Tao, Koh Lanta and Bali----------
    All absolutely amazing in their own ways...
    But I'm not going to spend time on these -- just see @JasonR previous post, or read one of the thousands of articles written or YT videos on them.

----------Macedonia: Skopje & Ohrid----------
    Yep... somehow, by accident, these off-the-map spots made our favorite list last year.
    We were sitting at a coworking place in Barcelona, trying to decide whether or not to stay for the following month.
    After a bit of contemplation, I decided to open up SkyScanner and see what interesting "value" flights were available from "Barcelona to Anywhere in the World"...

There was a deal on Macedonia for roughly $19/USD one way on a local airline!
    But the flight left in 1 hour, and we couldn't book it online!

My GF looked at me and said "Macedonia sounds like it could be cool..."
    I looked at her and said "Totally agree! Let's do it!" -- and we grabbed our shit and jumped in the first cab.

When it was all said and done, we spent about 3 weeks total in Skopje (the capital), and 10 days or so in Ohrid (a little lake town on the Albanian border).

The govt. is corrupt as shit, but the country is pretty fantastic as a whole... especially for the value.
    Cost-wise, it's a similar value proposition to Thailand -- inexpensive-but-nice lodging, cheap-but-good food, great internet and cell service, etc.

The nightlife in both cities was fantastic...
    There are absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful women crawling all over Skopje (at night anyway... not sure where they hide in the daytime).
    I'm not sure about the men. I guess I should ask my GF about these things so I'm informed from both sides :)

Ohrid is STUNNING.
    It's on "Europe's oldest lake", and is a UNESCO Cultural AND Natural Heritage site.
    Think: tiny cobblestone streets winding through a 2000+ year old castle-like town built on the side of a beautiful lake.
    Coffee shops, bars/clubs/restaurants, water sports, and great [but very unhealthy] local food.
    We paid about $24/nt for a loft apartment in the old city with this view:

[​IMG]

Yep...

We could have stayed there for a few months easily, and hope to make it back at some point.

Anyway, there's a lot more to write about Macedonia.. including the bad stuff (corruption, people are cold at first, etc), but I'd highly encourage you to go and spend some time developing your own opinion. My job isn't to shove mine down your throat!

----------Prague, Czech Republic----------
    I can't say enough about this place, and don't need to... look it up.
    Go there.
    Try leaving once you're there ;)
    Hands down the most beautiful city I've ever seen (likely due to the fact that the city received very little damage during WWII, as is almost all original and intact).

----------Shenzhen, China----------
    Let me get this out of the way... I LOVE HONG KONG. It's amazeballs.
    It's also currently holds the title for "most expensive city in the world".

So how do you get the beauty and geographic location of Hong Kong, without the ridiculous price tag?
    Go a few mins away to Shenzhen.

Yes yes, it's behind the firewall of China...
    Yes, it's a much newer city without a lot of the flavor of HK...
    And no, it's no substitute for HK itself -- but it's within spitting distance!

Shenzhen rose up out of a literal pile of dirt in recent history, and was purpose-built to test China's new economic policies.
    And it's a WONDERFUL city.

It's lush and green in many places, with awesome spots to live, work, shop, and play.
    It's incredibly affordable, and feels really great from a value perspective.
    The expat community is thriving there.
    The locals seem to be happier and have all-around better attitudes than in cities like Beijing (or even Shanghai)
    The business opportunities are massive in Shenzhen as well (big export and technology scene).

[​IMG]
    (Going to pick up my DJI Mavic drone from their HQ store when it was released.. gives you an idea of what the public/shopping areas look like in town)

I would say Shanghai edges out Shenzhen for me only barely, and purely based on the sheer magnitude of the former (I love huge cities).
    That being said, I think I'd rather spend an extended period of time working & living in Shenzhen, over any other "mainland Chinese" city.

Just pick up a decent VPN service (or three), if you want to stay connected to the rest of the world.
    And if you plan on staying a while, a cell phone from Hong Kong will permanently get you around the firewall if you do it right.

There's a few of my favs... perhaps I'll do another list later!

5. Jake

Jake Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,274
    I absolulutely love Shenzhen. Not a fan of the firewalll but that just means I need to sit at a pub and use their VPN which they openly advertise..ha. The SSID I picked up while walking by was (FREE_VPN_BEER) or something similar.

Futian is the place, Shekou pretty cool as well.

6. ddzc

ddzc Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,632
    This thread should be #notable, there's some awesome advice and info in this thread. I can't comment too much because most of the places mentioned in this thread I have already been to and great points have already been made about them. It really all comes down to personal preference. I would hop around every 2-3 months from country to country.

For me, I didn't like Mainland China (I was in Tianjin, Beijin, Shenzhen and Hangzhou). I was in Honk Kong for a couple months all over (Wanchai, Central, TST). I enjoyed it for a month and then I was done. I have visited Taipei and really enjoyed the night markets, the food is so good! I couldn't live there though for more than a week or two. I was in Bali and fell in love immediately. My next trip is out to Phuket, maybe Kuta or Patong. Tokyo is also on my radar. Out of all the places I've visited in Asia, Bali takes the cake for me by a long shot. I could see myself spending several months there at a time and never getting bored.

As for the topic of relationships, you don't go to these places to date seriously and fall in love. Keep in mind, most of the locals will mind fuck you and make you fall in love with them for the sole purpose of a one way ticket out. It's so easily detectable, but most guys are gullible, especially guys who have had no dating experience in their entire lifetime. If you're going to date and have fun, be honest with the person upfront and don't get your emotions twisted.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Leo Hendrix, VentureVoyager and Fpm9 like this.
  7. Fpm9

Fpm9 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $327
    I've never been to Asia and I'm far from being a digital nomad, but I live in a different city / country every 6 to 12 months since I graduated from high school.
    Women / dating is not something that is involved in my life goals, and I won't give up my goals for some girl. Sometimes I meet a girl I like, but I know I'll be in a different country in a few months so I never get too attached.

ddzc likes this.
  8. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $36,370
    +Rep

This post was short but succinct and significantly changed my outlooked. I need to change up my approach.

9. Leo Hendrix

Leo Hendrix Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,380
    Thanks @biophase

I was referring to my own situation of working as a medical transcriptor which would have translated to less than $1 per hour. NO shame in honest hard work.

You're absolutely right though so I just had to do an audit of my experience, skills and talent and begin from ground zero again. I found some decent paying work as well as some freelance and remote work positions I am applying for.

And yeah I am in South-East Asia, working from my laptop.

10. MattR82

MattR82 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,194
    Super interesting thread, really enjoyed reading through this.

I left Australia in May last year with a fat bank account and an idea for a product I wanted to develop for licensing. I remember excitedly posting on here about all the different countries I would be backpacking through, and @JasonR gently let me know it's better to spend at least a few months in one location if serious about it. True words.

Spent 3 months in Phuket at tiger muay thai getting fit again after a pretty grueling 4 year stint in oil and gas. Then Saigon for 3 months (I didn't like it so much though, I named my road "death street") then 6 months in Bali and now am in Hanoi.

Bali is definitely the best but I have been there about 15 times in the last 4 years so it's kind of a home away from home anyway, but it's different as an expat. Canggu is my favourite place in the world and has the best coworking space where I learnt a lot and made a lot of friends.

Here's a funny thing.. I'm better - much better - friends with the people I have met traveling and at coworking spaces after only a few weeks or months than I am with guys I worked with for 4 years in oil and gas. Friendships and even a love life are better starred for me in this area than if I was back stuck in Perth. I actually had a relationship break up with a girl I was with for quite a few years because she was afraid of taking a jump. And she was a shit hot programmer that could have made plenty working remotely and started her own thing 100 x easier than me. Life is weird sometimes lol.

Biggest thing I learnt is the difference between a "digital nomad" (by the way did anyone see that cringeworthy millenial viral video on being a DN? Puke..) working for someone else and an entrepreneur with their own business. Nothing wrong with working remotely but I know what I prefer.

Motivation can be a problem sometimes. Not a lot of people to talk to about what I was trying to do. But I found a great match for what I need in Hanoi. Really amazing city. I teach English to some pretty cool youngsters from 5-7 pm every afternoon. Gives me more than enough money to break even (and that's living in Tay Ho, the more expensive expat suburb) but more importantly something to give me a bit of a routine but still give me plenty of time to work on my project. I was losing it for a period there to be honest.

@JasonR your list is great, I really strongly suggest Myanmar for a trip, particularly the hot air balloon in Bagan. It's not all year round though.

As for the future, the only thing that gets me excited location wise is Sth and Central America. Particularly BA, Colombia and Guatemala. Would love to buy a van and drive down to Patagonia. That will have to be once the grind is done though, so may be in Hanoi for a few years.

One thing is for sure though, never gonna know what you come across till you bite the bullet. I could still be stuck doing manual labour (well paid, but shit life) on a hot as hell desert island in the middle of nowhere. I'm a completely different and much happier guy now though.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Leo Hendrix, GlobalWealth and JasonR like this.
  11. eliquid

eliquid Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,435
    This.

As an INTJ, I am very very analytical and curious. I looked into a lot of these digital nomads and its the same thing I came up with.

I see these affiliate guru's, travel miles guru's, and other digital nomads preaching about their life and come to find out they are pretty much set up in 3rd world countries mostly in Asia living where $1k a month gets them anything they want.

Sure, I could sling a couple ebooks and a uDemy course and up and move there too as a single person ( Ever notice how these guru types never talk about their family? It's because they don't have one ). It's easy to just uproot your life, pick any city in the world, and live off $1k from paypal earnings every few months when you're a single person. Same with traveling 1st class on all those miles they pick up.

Have you ever tried to live off $1k in a 3rd world country with 4 other people, 3 of which are children?

Have you ever tried to use those points for a nice 1st class flight or hotel suite when it's 5 people total?

Yeah, it's not happening.

Most of these people are ONLY digital nomads because:
    1. They're single and have absolutely no commitments or other people to worry about.
    2. Because of #1, they can get by living like a king for $700 a month while doing passport runs on just themselves. ( 1 $3500 web design job could last you for months in SE Asia )
    3. Don't have to spread their points amongst other people so they can obtain that 1st class flight internationally for free.
    4. Only have to pack for themselves and travel by themselves

I know there are some people that travel with a "spouse" but it's still not the same really.

I know some people travel as a whole family, but its super rare to see them talking about themselves compared to "every other guru" out there.

All these nomads want to teach you how to make money by looking at their "dream lifestyle", however the dream they push is really only possible mainly because they are single and living somewhere where they can get by dirt cheap in life for most of the year.

And no, it's not a narrow point of view. It's what is true for 90% of the digital nomads preaching this lifestyle today because I've looked into it.

The digital nomads I want to hear from are the ones that have a real business and travel with their spouse and 2-3 children and how they deal with it while not living entirely in Vietnam, Thailand, or Bali.

What these people don't say is just as important as what they do say.

I remember one famous affiliate guru stating he has traveled the world and his dream trip is to go to Japan. He brags about how he has million dollar companies and can pay for whatever he wants.

So why doesn't he just go to Japan since it's his dream trip? Looking back on his prior trips, they are all Columbia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

It's because he's bogus, that's why.. and most of the people hyping this up are bogus too.

FastNAwesome, Leo Hendrix and LinorCG like this.
  12. MattR82

MattR82 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,194
    Or.. they want something different. I don't live in Asia just because it's cheap, and I actually never befriended a single person that does the blogging/course thing. There are tonnes of them out there, but a bit of a stretch to say all of them. To be honest most of them are bloody freelance web developers I found.

Never seen it done with a family though, that's true.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post. Not ALL people working remotely or DN/whatever, but 90% of those actively advertising it for some kind of gain. Fair enough. I just don't follow any of them :p

13. Driven28

Rep Bank:
    $360
    Ugh... It's difficult to sit down and take on the task of responding to posts like these.
    Your viewpoints sound awfully pessimistic, but worse, it seems like they come from a place of inexperience being passed off as inside knowledge.
    Any with what basis? Because you looked into a lot of these types of people?

Let's not forget that you can "look into" whatever you want to look into, but you don't know jack shit until you actually do it -- EXPERIENCE IT for yourself.
    Live it for years and network with the community in various countries.
    Go physically MEET real people who reluctantly or otherwise identify themselves as DNs.

Here's the issue with your post.. just like @biophase post that you're quoting before it:

It's sweeping, generalized, narrow-minded, and simply untrue.
    It's output coming from a highly selective and narrow set of input.
    And it's definitely not coming from significant real-world experience of your own.

Just because YOU read/watch/listen into all the hype and DNs out there selling the dream, doesn't mean that those "gurus" or loudspeakers represent the movement as a whole. Quite the contrary.

It's super-easy to identify as a DN, simply because it's an efficient term that has no better/easier substitute to describe a great variety of people on the planet right now. The variety of DN that you're describing is a very small sample of the whole of the people that would identify themselves as such.

There ARE families that identify as DNs.
    I know several. They don't post online about it beyond their sphere of influence on FB.

There ARE many married couples that identify as DNs. Tons actually.
    Most of the DN couples I know don't post outside of their inner circle, unless MAYBE they have a travel blog or YT as a fun side-project.

There ARE many DNs that are NOT gurus, aren't trying to become gurus, and do NOT YouTube or Instagram every 5 seconds about their lifestyle.

Digital Nomads come in many varieties.. and can all be linked to other/older labels that were less efficient:

Entrepreneurs not living in their home country, or whom simply travel very often.
    Minimalists who enjoy a simple lifestyle without ties to a particular location.
    Freelancers who realized they could work from outside the bubble.
    Families and married couples who tired of the status quo and decided that seeing the world is more important than keeping up with the Joneses.

There are only two factors that lead someone to labeling themselves a DN...
    1. A desire for location independence
    2. An income that is derived digitally, or in a way that provides said location independence.
    Basically anyone who travels often or perpetually and earns an income digitally, or free from location requirements.
    That's a large pool of people, doing a wide variety of things for a living.

But it's always easy as an outsider to judge... to roll with your viewpoint about DNs because you have YouTube and Instagram installed on your phone, and love Internet bulletin boards...

Between those two apps and a general downturn for the Digital Nomad label/brand lately -- it's easy to just jump on the bandwagon and poo poo the whole movement... re-labeling it as a bunch of broke-ass fake-it-till-you-make-it traveling guru wannabes.

Just remember - for every ONE of those loudspeakers you're "looking into"...
    There are many quiet people (who at some point have identified as DNs), who put their heads down, do their thing, and enjoy their life without seeking the fame/ego/money that comes with somehow landing themselves on your computer screen.
    And they come in every shape, size, profession, and net-worth.

MattR82 likes this.
  14. eliquid

eliquid Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,435

Funny.... you make a generalized, sweeping, and narrow minded view I'm an outsider. I'm sorry, but do you know me? Do you live with me daily and know what I do and how I do it daily?

That I by looking into it, I don't know these people personally and haven't talked/interviewed them personally and I'm just judging them.

That I have no experience whatsoever into this topic of any kind.

You also didn't take enough initiative to actually read my post where I specifically talked about all the "guru's" talking about the DN lifestyle. Did I talk about the ones not posting? Did I say everyone that is a DN? No. I talked about the gurus and the people pushing the HYPE.

I specifically talked up the loudspeaker guru's. I never said 100% of the people doing DN'ing.

It looks like you're "looking" into mine and @biophase post and trying to convince yourself more than me.

Otherwise, I stand by what I said because I have looked into it myself about how most of these guru's pull it off.

SquatchMan and Driven28 like this.
  15. Driven28

Rep Bank:
    $360
    Generalized and sweeping? No.
    Those accusations are literal words to describe the terminology you chose to use, such as "ALL these nomads", "ALL these people", "Most of these people", etc.
    That's generalized, and sweeping.

I simply called two specific people out on the fact that they were doing it.

And if you want to prove me wrong about being narrow minded on the topic and not speaking from experience, go ahead.
    State your experiences that give you so much confidence in your opinions.

I'm not here to get into a pissing contest or anything.
    I just have a personal pet peeve about people on forums & social media spreading misinformation and overly-biased opinions, regardless of the topic.
    So I call it out when I see it, if I have time.

Ok... whatever.
    You're backpedaling and you know it.

You started your thread and your great proclamations about DN gurus by quoting @biophase -- and then saying -->

Which is forum speak for "ditto" or "I agree, and I'm going to quote you instead of typing the same thing".

Did you even read his post that you quoted before you declared your alignment with it?
    If your intent was to exclude the majority of DNs who don't guru, your choice of language and alignment from the start through to the end was poorly considered.

Anyway, listen...

If you're being straight up and actually believe that most DNs (whether they want to be called that or not) aren't loud-mouthed gurus, running around poor countries broke, spewing a bunch of lies on the Internet for profit -- then we're actually in agreement.

So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take your word for it.

It's come to the point where I hate using the label "digital nomad" to describe anything I do or believe in anymore, mostly due to the exact crap you described in your post... the few idiots that come in and ruin good things for the many. And I know swaths of DNs who are feeling the same right now.

Which sucks.. because the lifestyle itself and core values associated with it are solid, and make amazing additions to many people's lives.

The label has been tarnished, but is still the easiest most effective way to communicate the ideals... unfortunately.

16. The Duc

The Duc Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $1,432
    I'm probably one of the few (only?) on here that fall into that category, so if you have any specific questions ask away. The short answer is the way you do it without (requiring) living in SEA is by making (and spending) more money. Real business, real business income, without the location ties.

This sums it up pretty well. I think a lot of this argument comes down to semantics as you've got a huge variety of lifestyles among people that are "Location Free". You've got expats with a home base that travel a lot (@GlobalWealth), those without a permanent home base (@JasonR), some who travel when and where they want but still have a home base (@biophase), and of course you've got the backpacker with a bunch of adwords niche sites living in Thailand on $800/month. Trying to fit all these people into one box with one label is kind of pointless.

Also, I've noticed that there is a pretty similar path people tend to take.

1. Location freedom: This could be employees who work remotely, freelancers, early stage businesses where a lot of time input is needed. Still trading time for money, but location based limitations have been removed.

2. Time freedom: Running a real business with employees, outsourcing, etc. You no longer have to make that 8am conference call Monday morning. Take a week long African safari and you are still making money.

3. Money freedom: Where you go and what you do is no longer restricted by the cost. You want to spend the whole summer in the South of France? You do it. You might still be in SEA, but not because it's the only place you can afford.

One major pitfall for anyone who has the goal of being a digital nomad is equating that goal with #1 above. Speaking from experience simple location freedom is far too easy to achieve and you run a serious risk of stagnation at that point. Set the goal as #3, breeze through #1 and move straight on to #2. Otherwise you risk spending years stuck at #1 thinking you've made it.

Leo Hendrix, MattR82 and GlobalWealth like this.
  17. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $17,435
    Again, do you know either me or @biophase? If not, you're make a sweeping generalized statement that is narrow minded.

I have a family of 5 that travels. Most of these guru's don't have a family that travels. It's easily seen in their videos and blogs, however I have also talked to, know personally, or have interviewed a lot more and this is how I know about them specifically.

I also make my revenue location independent. Im on my 5th SaaS, I do PPC for large select clients, I have ran some of the largest affiliate campaigns ever for networks as the top affiliate in their network, and I have been doing this type of location independent revenue stuff for over a decade now.

I think I personally fit the model pretty well for what I speak about.

You're just trying to prove it to yourself is all. You took it personally when @biophase spoke out and when I confirmed it, you got bent out of shape. You don't know either of us, but you assume your misinformation and overly-biased opinion about us. I call it like I see it too.

No, I think it's pretty easy to see which DN's I was talking about in my posts. You just chose to be butt hurt about it. I guess you thought I lumped you into the group I was talking about, but if you actually read the post you would make pretty clear who and which DN's I was talking about.. I mention affiliate guru's, miles gurus, and the ones that HYPE it up, the ones living in Thailand on $700 a month and doing 1 web design job at $3500 and nothing else, etc. Unless you are one of these, then no need to get butt hurt. If you are, and you have a blog or youtube video HYPEing this life to people, then yeah I can see why your upset now.

That's right, because we both agree on the same thing about this.

Question is, did YOU read it. More importantly, did you even read mine. Seems like you just wanted to get your inner rage out because someone didn't agree with you.

I never said all DN's were this. Again you didn't read my post

OK

How does what I or @biophase say ruin anything good for the many? Does what I say and @biophase say stop you or 10 other people on this forum from being a DN if they are one now? Do we prevent others from being new DN's? If you believe so, that is crazy dude.

If what I or @biophase say stops someone from doing something, that's not on us... that's on the other person for being a sheep and not taking life by the balls and doing as they please. That person doesn't have the drive to live their own life.

If the other person doesn't become a DN because of something posted on the internet swayed them, they didn't have the lifestyle and core values needed to become a DN anyways. You aren't going to sale them on the idea if they are so easily swayed from a forum article.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  18. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $17,435
    This.

Real business, real business income.

Didn't have any questions. I already travel enough as it is and have been doing so for a while. Would just like to read material from people who are in your situation and mine instead of the ones who are not in our situation which is most ( if not almost all ) of the printed and available info ( blogs, YT videos ) online.

I have a home base and just travel as I want with family right now. Not sure I would give up the home base at this point yet.

GlobalWealth likes this.
  19. JasonR

JasonR Maverick Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $57,776
    This. Business comes first over location independency. I put my business over my lifestyle "wants" - if it's better for me to be based in Asia while sourcing products that's where I'll go. Do I need a warehouse in the states? I'll post up there until I figure it out.

Having not had a "home base" for a little over 2 years, I'm ready to have one. While I've stayed in certain countries for longer periods of time, constantly traveling and packing everything in a backpack and suitcase is limiting in some aspects. I have a ton of respect for the "nomads" that have moved around for 6-7 years, but it does wear on you after a while.

My plan is to have a couple places in the world I consider home base, and live there for the majority of the year. Maybe it's 6 months in Medellin, 6 months in Asia or Europe, etc. I don't foresee moving back to the US though, life, for me, is so much better (quality of life, cost of living, taxes, etc.) outside the US.

Certainly, if I had a family, I wouldn't give up having a home base and go completely nomadic.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  20. GlobalWealth

GlobalWealth Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,378
    I also prefer having a homebase. In fact I have a couple of them.

I tend to bounce between them with side trips interspersed between them.

This year I have been to several places in the US, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Finland, Georgia, the Netherlands, Colombia and a couple of others I am forgetting at the moment.

This is definitely a slow year of travel for me, but I do cross the Atlantic at least twice a month.

I have also lived this lifestyle with a family (divorce now) and my kids have been to many places. Last count my 10 year old has visited 25 countries total.

21. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $4,447
    Agree with you here a lot, but it comes down to hierarchy of needs, and acceptance at a deep guttural level that you can't have everything.

Years ago, I broke it off with a great girl to live abroad. She said in the most accusatory tone possible: "You love what you do more than you love me". As much as I wanted to think of myself as a nicer guy than that, the decision I made was pretty clear evidence that, whether I admitted it or not, that was precisely the case. Given the choice between her and my life, I chose my life.

Fast forward 5 or so years, and I moved from my favorite city in the world to one I don't care for to marry my wife. There are days I wish I was in Bangkok, but I want to be with my wife and son every day. I loved this girl more than I loved my lifestyle, unlike said previous girl. I hope one day to take my family and move to a city I love. Until then, it's tradeoff.

As an aside, I don't think "falling in love" is even a thing, so it probably pretty heavily influences the way I view these situations.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  22. Philip Marlowe

Philip Marlowe Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $403
    Don't think this is hijacking the thread, but can you guys describe your 'mobile office' setup? How are you getting work done from the road?

I've got a Tumi briefcase (ballistic nylon) for years and it's still going strong. My Dell XPS15 (SSD is a must) is pretty quick to fire-up with solid battery life. And I love Red & Black notebooks.

My big challenge, as I posted in my own thread, is the need for connectivity. I'd like to have my own over 4G from iPhone or Mifi. Any thoughts?

Anyway - please share how you work on the road.

Thanks!

AgainstAllOdds and Longinus like this.
  23. Longinus

Longinus Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,682
    There's a lot of info in this thread: What laptop should a starting online entrepreneur buy?

24. GlobalWealth

GlobalWealth Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,378
    My mobile office is quit simple. I use a Lenova yoga pro 2 laptop (very lightweight), wireless mouse, beats headphones, Huawei p10 dual SIM phone, and a notebook.

Typically I can find WiFi wherever I'm working (I use ghostvpn), if not I hotspot my phone.

I spend most of my time in Europe and my carrier has unlimited data roaming in all Europe so I have 4g speed internet thru my phone almost always.

I also keep a US T-Mobile SIM in my phone since I have free 2/3g roaming all over the world. Plus it helps with all the 2 factor authentication sms messages.

My team is also 100% remote. We use a few cloud services for various data sharing.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Kingmaker, Leo Hendrix and MattR82 like this.
  25. ddzc

ddzc Gold Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,632
    For the internet marketers, have you ever had any issues with facebook ads when jumping from country to country? I've heard of a few people who had their accounts disabled as soon as they left their home base and connected in a foreign country. Proxies are caught also if attempted. Thx