The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
My guess is 99% of freelancers send me focused applications. So, for those who send a you focused application the opportunities are limitless.

This is the secret sauce to being mega-successful as an employee (such as it is). If you can tell me in coherent terms how you're going to take what I'm doing to the next level via your unique skills, abilities, or even access to specific items (3D printing, a RED Epic camera, etc.) the only way you're not going to get hired is if I'm not kicking enough butt in my field to be able to take advantage of your value. Barbara Corcoran had a great anecdote related to this: For years, her top real estate agent made substantially more than Barbara did from her property business. That saleswoman had unbelievable value, and so even though she worked for Barbrara and wasn't nailing all the CENTS/CENTS stuff, she still made a fastlane-like level of compensation.

People looking to "get a job" are sometimes even worse than people asking for a donation of money-They not only expect you to give them consistent, low-risk cash, but to be able to figure out some way to make them valuable to you. I can figure out how to add value to my customer, or how to add value to an employee. I don't really have time to do both, because my competition won't waste their time doing both, either.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Two Face - The Other Side Of Copy

Unless you live in a box, you've watched Batman. Cool. Then you remember the character Harvey Dent, better known as Two-Face. If not, look him up. He's a supervillain who's face is split down the middle. One side has charming good-looks, and a smile. The other is a mixture of molten rot, flesh & bone fused together by acid destruction.

From one angle he's a man with a great personality and the world at his feet. From the other he's a monster with a violent temper ready to wipe out the planet. But what really makes him dangerous is his ability to use both sides to reach his goals.

Copywriting Is Like Two-Face

There's two sides to copy that sells. Both sides have unique traits. Both are powerful. But both must be used together if you want to make an impact. Unfortunately most people skip a side completely...

The Dark Side Of Copy

This is the side most people focus on. It's the format, style, fonts, sections, and the actual techniques. It's the story-telling, and word-weaving. It's all the dirty, grimy, rotten parts of the actual copywriting process.

This is what you learn when you start reading books, copying sales letters, taking courses etc.

The dark side of copy focuses on big, bold headlines, short sentences, and snappy text. It focuses on writing words and phrases in the correct order so your prospects make it from one line to the next until they reach the end of your ad.

It's very useful & very powerful. But not alone.

The Light Side Of Copy

The other side, the side most people skip, is the human element. Bold headlines and snappy text may get attention, and they may even get interest, but what they don't do is tap into human desires.

This side of copy is the friendly face. The connections, rapport, and relationships. It's the part that shows prospects who you are, while helping define who they are too.

To get good at this side you have to extend your practices. You have to move beyond the realm of simple tactics and techniques. This part is where your own personality comes into play.

To be great at the light side you can't be a robot. You have to learn how people work. What makes them tick. Why they do the things they do. You have to tap into their energy with your own.

It involves customer service, friendship, desire, and societal roles. It's not just about what you say. It's about how you say it. This side is all about relationships and the experience.

Copy's True Power Is Only Released When You Understand & Implement Both Sides.

You may know everything about structure, word flow, headlines, and design, but if you don't know how to give people what they want, or what they need, then your copy sucks.

On the flip side, you can be awesome at dealing with people, motivating, and getting them involved, but if your writing is poor, and doesn't utilize best practices, the message won't translate and the energy fades.

If You're Serious About Learning To Write Copy That Sells...

You have to be ready to learn the whole process.

30 Day challenges are great, and you'll definitely get down and dirty with form.

Just remember to read between the lines and learn the human side too.

In copywriting Balance is key.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Join the Bomb Squad. Disarm and De-Escalate Angry Clients Before They Explode.

No matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone. Sometimes you get clients who don't like something about the product or service you deliver. When this happens, they start asking for change after change, and the result can end up wasting a lot of your time.

The problem is you have to give in to their every demand or risk damaging your reputation. Even the slightest counter-productive comment by you could set them off, so you have to be really careful.

So how do you diffuse a bomb anyway?

Step 1: Have Patience & Presence

The first step is patience, because it's how you buy time. Never lose your cool. If you get an email you don't like, (like a breakdown of what they hate about your copy) just put it aside and let it sit for a while. Think about other things. Wait until you're calm and can approach with the right mindset.

If you screw with it while you're angry, you'll miss the underlying issue. You have to be present to read between the lines. When we're angry we aren't present. We're internal. We're wrapped up in our primitive thoughts and feelings - swept out by a tidelwave of adrenaline & fight or flight syndrome.

Have the patience to deal with problems when you're calm and present.

Step 2: Keep an Open Mind

Yes, you've labeled yourself, "professional" or "expert" at what you do, so that means you've gotta be right 100% of the time, right? Wrong. Chances are your clients know their customers better than you, so when they give you suggestions or offer advice, it's not because they hate your copy.

It's because it didn't read the way they need it to read for their market. This is their business. Their baby. They're putting a lot of trust in your hands that you won't blow it. If you're really a professional, then you'll keep an open mind so you can see through the anger and drama to the clear-cut answer on the other side. Usually it's something simple.

They don't hate you. It's not personal. Your copy just isn't what they need... yet.

Step 3: Diffuse Anger with Acceptance & Agreement

Let's say you let them get the best of you. Things are already a bit heated and you've had a few back and forths. They're not accepting your ideas, and you think they're a moron. Well, this is where patience & presence comes back to save the day.

Remember, patience buys time so you can calm down and think clearly. Presence allows you to read between the lines to see the best course of action. You'll need both to rise above your ego and fix the problem.

If they're already angry, then there's one super simple tactic that works every time. Avoid arguing in the first place. Okay, that's not what I was gonna say, but it works too. But seriously, if they're already angry, then you have to accept that it's not personal, accept that they're a person with thoughts and feelings and agree with them on some element of the issue.

Who cares if they're wrong. You're an influencer, aren't you? So influence!

Find something you can agree with them on, and then say the words, "I agree with you on this..." avoid following with the word, "but..." But suggests you don't actually agree. Instead, replace it with "and..." this is a linking word that maintains the flow and energy instead of blocking it up again.

Compare these examples:

"Tom, I agree this sentence is over the top, but I think we can use it."

"Tom, I agree this sentence is over the top, and I think we can approach from another angle."

Buts show you're holding to your position. And gives you ways to work around issues.

The words I agree instantly disarms them since the only reason they're arguing is because they want to feel right. Why not let them?

They put their ego on the line, so even if they're wrong, they won't back down. Instead, you have to give them a way to bow out gracefully by letting them think they're not completely wrong.

If it turns out you're wrong, then agreement still works because it lets you reverse your position in the most direct way possible. They won't hate you for challenging them if you say I agree. Instead, they'll love you for being open-minded enough to see things from their perspective. Plus it makes them feel good too.

Step 4: Sign a Peace Treaty

Once you agree with them, the conflict ends. Think about it, how can their be conflict if you're in agreement? You agree. There's nothing to conflict about.

However, if it turns out you were wrong about something, make sure you admit it up front. Don't beat around the bush. Forget your stupid ego. State it loud and proud, and make it personal.

"Hey Tom, thanks for having so much patience with me. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. It's difficult to see minor mistakes when you're so close to the project. Having your outside perspective really helped."

What did you just do? You thanked him. You humbled yourself. You gave him a feeling of power. You made him the authority. You made him feel good. You've appealed to his good nature.

Now he respects you. He's no longer angry. The bomb is diffused.

Most people deflect responsibility. As Fastlaners we already know about this mentality. We can't afford this mentality. But if we accept responsibility for our actions, we have a chance to make such a big impression on our clients, they'll leave good feedback, and spread the word, even if your product wasn't exactly what they wanted.

How to Diffuse a Bomb?

Patience & Presence
Keep an Open Mind
Acceptance & Agreement
Admit When You're Wrong

Try it. It you do it right it works every time. You'll never have to worry about angry clients again.

Just Do It.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
And it isn't a fastlane; it's a daily job.

You are confused about what the fastlane is and what it means.

You are also confused about the difference between a job and a self-owned business.

The thing is, it doesn't matter what business we pursue.

We never truly work for our self.

Selling ecommerce = must sell something customers are willing to buy.
Selling real-estate = must give home-buyers what they're looking for.
Selling ebooks = must give readers the experience they want.
Selling an invention = must invent something people need or care about.
Selling yourself (basketball player) = fans must love you or else you're not worth anything.

In any business if you fail to give customers what they want, then the business fails too.

It doesn't matter what business it is.

We always work for someone else.

To not work for someone else means playing the lottery or slots and hoping for an event.

There's no business where we don't work for some person in some way.

The only difference between a job & a business is our freedom to choose who we work for and how we work for them.

What makes it fastlane is having freedom of choice.

Even if I stop freelancing right now, I won't be broke or homeless tomorrow.

I can pay for all of my bills for the foreseeable future, and I can make money anytime I want.

I am no longer a slave to any employer.

The fastlane isn't just about money. It's about freedom.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Haven't posted in a while, but I have another update.

It looks like I'm about to hit my first $1,000 week. They're not copy jobs, mind you: they're something else.

I've found a niche (actually, a certain silver hawk told me I could make $20,000 a month in the niche...) and I'm exploiting it like crazy. I just started in the niche and I'm already seeing mild success.

I'm not going to expose the niche cuz it's unimportant.

As an aside...

I changed my Elance profile a bit. I wrote my profile for my niche. No job history, no nothing. Jack up my rate to $100/hr.

I then get upgraded to Level 2 in my category... and then I showed up in the 1st page of search in my (very small) niche.

I get invited to a job. I get a phone number. I get on the phone. We talk.

I'm honest with her. She's my first client in the niche, and I told her my background. I told her what I can do for her and that I had not had success in the niche before.

She accepted my proposal after talking with 2 more experienced companies.

No job history. No feedback. Just a phone call and a mindset of helping other and pure honesty.

Moral of the story:

1) Take action. If a smart person tells you to do something, you F*cking do it.

2) Niching from the get go might actually be the best way to go, because you appear in search and are invited to the odd job.

3) Be honest and go in with the desire to HELP... and forget about you, your desires, and your fears for one second.

Go for gold.

G

GuestUser116

Hahah, that's solid. I'm hiring writers on odesk and here is an applicant's cover letter that I've ignored.

"Hello,
My name is ***********. I have Ben a professional writer and editor for many years. Most of my work has been in writing about religion and Editing technical papers in Computer Science and other fields. I am a natural hopeless romantic and it's been my dream to write romance novels. If hired, I would be very enthusiastic about this project and would contribute my most to it."

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Very interesting thread. Lots of good info.

Good job so far @SinisterLex

Out of curiousity, I signed up for Odesk as a Freelancer (Got approved a few hours later)

I Made a "You" focused profile & applied to 4 jobs with the "You" attitude. (1.5 hours total time)

Got 1 job already.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

ThunderbirdMike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jul 24, 2011
Bend, Oregon - USA
SHARING IS CARING (and PROFITABLE!)

In the spirit of sharing and contributing, I am enclosing my current "cover letter" below.

Now, I of course tweak and customize for each potential client and their specific needs...but here it is, nonetheless!

Feel free to offer (constructive) criticism, praise or anything in between. Believe you me, I can take it. =)

MIKE'S ODESK COVER LETTER:

Hi,

My name is Mike, and I am hand-typing this message, as establishing trust comes FIRST and FOREMOST.

Most freelancers just copy & paste hundreds of applications at a time, but that's not how I play ball.

I saw your job posting regarding the copy you need written for multiple furniture product descriptions. Got it.

The goal is for it to be persuasive, easy to read and drive people to take action. May I ask who the target customer is? Are you selling furniture direct to consumers, or perhaps to wholesalers?

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM:

Take a look. I have ZERO feedback scores on Odesk. Yep, you read that correctly.

WHY THIS IS A GREAT DEAL FOR YOU.

Normally I charge over $100 / hour for my marketing services, due to having an MBA and 5+ years of digital marketing (mainly email campaigns & sales landing pages). Not today, I'm coming it at some seriously eye-popping low rates...for a limited time.

Why?

TRUST & RELATIONSHIPS COME FIRST. MONEY COMES LATER.

But, being the newbie on Odesk, I want to build relationships first. Money can and will come later. And, at a $10 fixed price, I think you'll agree that I'm not doing it for the money, at this point.

That means the ONLY thing I care about right now is writing some great furniture product descriptions for you, in exchange for a great rating and testimonial.

Sound fair?

I've attached some examples of my recent copywriting for an email campaign and related sales page. See the attached Word doc.

PRICE:

I'm not stupid. We usually get what we pay for in life, and Odesk is no exception.

I know that there will be other copywriters who will underbid me on this project, as many live in developing countries with lower cost of living.

However, here is where I differ and the value you can count on by hiring me:

1. I work extremely fast
  2. I place a premium on consistent communication and clear expectations at the beginning of any project.
  3. I have written a LOT of copy for both startups, publicly traded companies and even government agencies.
  4. I am an American and a native English speaker. This means I can ensure quality communication in regards to the project.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?

As long as WE develop a clear understanding of what success looks like up front, including my research of the customer and market(if necessary), then I'm confident you'll get some product descriptions that WILLl knock your socks off.

RISK?

Nope. Not for you.

I'm probably crazy to do this, but in order to deliver fantastic results to my first client(s) I'm offering a 100% money back guarantee on any project I take on.

That's how serious I am about exceeding your expectations and ensuring that your brochure copy is top notch.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU:

Who is your target customer?
Do they buy direct from you?
What do they ultimately want? What is their pain?
What is the time frame for this project to be delivered?
What does "success" look like for these product descriptions? How is it measured?

The more insight I have, the more able I am to hone in on the exact pain points and desires of the people who will be reading my copy.

READY?

I'd love for you to be one of the very to take advantage of my extremely low rates, as they will not last forever.

Drop me a line, let's chat and then get to work!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
this is exactly I need, I got no income at the moment, I want to start freelancing on the site to start somewhere. Then probably I can start building my own niche site. Having no income is really sucks.

There's literally nothing stopping you. No barriers whatsoever.

It's free to sign up, free to build a profile, free to apply.

Here's a link I found today that fills in a lot of the blanks.

Browse the categories, and apply to jobs you know you can over-deliver on.

How to Make $1,000 a Week on Odesk

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
That's a good fundamental attitude and focus to have bro. Never lose that! Again though, while you're getting your freelance/consulting skills together I highly recommend you work on strategies to scale your time and efforts. You have to create a playbook for moving from slow lane to fast lane.

MJ explains the math of all this in the book if you need more background on this.

Good luck!

Thanks man,

I'll never stop trying, learning, and getting better.

I hope everyone reading this makes the same decision. Right here. Right now.

Just keep going. Keep trying.

You do get better. Everything gets better.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
^^^ Lol... the first step to getting that copywriting gig on Odesk is to learn enough copywriting to write your own bio, and to apply for the gigs.

It's funny that so many of the bios of the copywriters that @SinisterLex sees on Odesk are all about themselves, and not what they can do for the prospective clients. If you can't write copy selling your own services, then how're you going to do it for your clients?

This is a great thread.

Also read @IceCreamKid 's thread about ice cream.

At the end of the day, it's not about YOU, but what you can do for others.

If you wanna learn to be a copywriter then you need to learn copywriting right?

What I would do if your new at Odesk is to only bill the client for a fraction of the time you took, this is because your learning to write copy and you dont want to be paid to learn now do you?

When I get back from the field I'll try to share more about getting started on Odesk. I don't want to give the impression that learning copywriting isn't one of the most useful things to learn.

It's just a challenge articulating it from my phone on a cot!

Copywriting is a great skill because the entire foundation is built on the idea of figuring out what people want and showing how you'll to give it to them.

I promise my responses above aren't resistance. I just want to wait til' I'm back from the field so I can give the questions proper thought, and answers worth reading.

But I want people to know that my first odesk gigs had nothing to do with copywriting because I hadn't learned it yet.

A better place to start might be the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People". This book cuts straight to the heart of understanding people fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Organized Chaos
How to Build a 600 Horsepower Supercar
I don't know jack shit about building cars. I can do basic stuff like changing oil, or swapping an exhaust, but anything more than that, and I get lost in the mechanics.

But if I was gonna build a car, I'll tell you where I wouldn't start. I wouldn't start with a big heaping pile of parts. I wouldn't try wrenching them together without any kind of direction. If I didn't even know what kind of car I was building...if I didn't have a clue what it looked like...then this would be a huge waste of time.

Professional Supercar Builders Start the Same Place You Do.

Nobody builds a car by slapping parts together and calling it good. It doesn't make any sense. It's not logical. If they did, they'd end up with a big hunk of bolted metal, and it sure as hell wouldn't drive.

Professional Supercar Builders don't start with parts. They start with an idea. Then they take that idea and intensify it into a vision. They draw it out on paper and conceptualize. They list the specs, safety features, comforts, & luxuries, and then when they know exactly what they want to build - when they have a crystal clear picture of the end result...

...then they build it.

They take that idea - that vision, and they gather only the parts needed to make the dream come true. They don't waste time figuring out what works and what doesn't. They use tried and true methods to get to where they're going. Maybe it takes a few years to bring it to life, but it happens as fast as humanly possible.

Professional Supercar Builders start with a clear picture of the end result. Then they take specific actions to bring that result to life. Fear doesn't stop them. They already know a supercar can be built because it's already been done many times. Process doesn't stop them either, because established processes already exist, even if their supercar does not.

Why Professional Supercar Builders Get Results Every Time...

Supercars don't always turn out exactly like the vision. They're modified a lot during the building & design process, and sometimes entire concepts are scrapped when it turns out it wasn't as awesome as they thought. But the end result is almost always the same... a brand new supercar eventually stands before them.

Regardless of how many changes it takes, the supercar still gets built. The general process - the steps to take - the tools they'll need to get the job done - those things stay pretty much the same. Even when the final car doesn't turn out exactly like the concept, the result (an amazingly badass, driveable luxury machine) is the same.

We Must be More Like Professional Supercar Builders

You already know where I'm going with this but...

If you're having trouble starting. If you feel overwhelmed. If you don't know wtf to do next... the problem may not be the tools and parts. It may not be your lack of knowledge & experience. It's definitely not your lack of ideas.

It's probably just that you don't have a clear vision. You don't know what the end result looks like, so you can't take specific action to get there. If you wanna go to grandma's house and you don't know where she lives, you can drive around all day, but you won't get there.

Take Time Right Now to Figure Out the End Result.

If you decided to build a supercar today you'd need experience, tools, and specialized knowledge to make it happen. But before all that, you'd need a vision. You'd have to know the goal. You'd have to have a general concept to work from, so you can take only useful actions to make it happen.

So, the point of all this is that you need to know what you want. You need to sit down, grab a pen & paper and write that shit out. Write down what success looks and feels like to you. Make it really specific. Give it a deadline. Make it so crystal clear that when you finish executing you'll know you either hit your target 100% or you failed, and need to adjust course and try again.

Making money online isn't hard. Building a business may take a while, but it's not that hard either. The tools and processes are already in place. You can get knowledge and experience fast. You can even start building things without any rhyme or reason. But you won't get anywhere until you have a clear vision about what you're building.

You can't achieve the success you want, until you know what success you want to achieve.

Okay, now you get it. You need to set some goals. You need to clarify your vision.

So, stop reading this sweet a$$ mind candy and start taking action.

90% of the people on this board want step-by-step instructions, so here you go:

Step 1 - Stop reading & write your f'n goals right now!

Step 2 - Take specific action and make that shit happen!

Just Do It.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Copywriting is a highly technical skill and it can't be faked. If you don't know how to do it, it's gonna show.

This has to be remembered.

A lot of you are trying to break in with no writing experience, little writing education, a less-than-fluent grasp of the English language, and very little insight into the way people think.

Yea... no.

This shit is HARD. This isn't "easy money". And not everyone can do this for clients effectively.

This is a way to learn a skill to earn you an income. It's a lesson in creating your own job.

But please, for the LOVE of GOD...

...don't just decide that you're going to be a copywriter because a couple people here have made money doing it.

Instead... play to your unfair advantage.

Use copywriting and direct response principles to make money doing what you already can compete on.

App development, websites, technical writing, data analysis, e-books, expert content writing... carpet cleaning, auto body work, iPhone repair. However...

You still need to learn how to write copy.

In fact, you need to learn how to sell in three ways: over text, over the phone, and face-to-face. It's essential. It's entrepreneurship 101.

If you ever want to sell your own product or service (which we all do), then you need all 3 of these skills.

It's not about becoming a copywriter. It's about becoming FREE from the shackles of a regular job. It's about using what you learned to parlay into a Fastlane. It's about hedging yourself in case you fall on hard times.

It's about ensuring that you'll never be broke.

And always think long term about it. You're not gonna want to churn out deliverables and log working hours forever.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
To Win the Lottery you Have to Buy a F*cking Ticket

I love this thread, Lex is making fist fulls of freelancer cash at the moment and all because he switched his mindset. You will see many detractors on this thread or this forum saying "but yeah this isn't fastlane" but as you saw in my title, first you have to buy the ticket.

If your going to work for someone then doing it by writing copy is pretty excellent, as these copywriting skills will become essential in your future fastlane idea, no need to worry about hiring a great copywriter at some ludicrous rate.

I always thought that I could just hire a copywriter when I needed one, I have tried and failed to find great copywriters at a fee I can afford and now I am learning copy myself because nobody knows the customer or product better than myself.

INSIDERS Copy Tip from Me:

I'm not a great writer, I am a pretty shitty writer and lack imagination to truly be great. But it doesn't stop me from writing copy, this tip will make you an awesome copywriter faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

1. Find awesome sales letters from the masters such as Halbert, Ogilvy or anything that is superb.
2. Use it as a template, be a sales letter hacker, and follow the style of the letter but replace with your product and information.
3. Read over your masterpiece and get some feedback (this is where a good buddy on Skype is handy)

I promise you that this works. Lex can testify as he has seen my first copy writing and the new copy using this technique. You can even use this technique for writing blog posts or any piece of writing.

Try it today, make one sales letter for your product or future product. Post it on here if you want some feedback.

G

Guest24480

I wanted to test out your advice by applying to a few grammar jobs on oDesk, so last night I set out to do so. I tried to tailor the cover letter to solving the client's problems rather than just listing my areas of expertise.

I sent out ONE job application. My VERY first one. I've never even stepped foot on oDesk. There were 14 applicants to the job, and this is the message I received the next day:
"I will not lie to you, from all candidates I feel that you are the best for this work. "

Of course I am. I actually listened to your job description.

Now, here's a real, live example of how I did this.

Real Example

Job Description:
"We have 60 articles written (each contains around 300 words). We are searching for a native English speaker that would be able to correct ALL grammatical mistakes there."

What stood out to me:
1. What kind of person are they looking for? Most likely someone detail-oriented who has spoken English all their life.
2. Their top priority is fixing all the mistakes. Therefore, I need to communicate to them that I will ENSURE that all the mistakes will be fixed, guaranteed.
3. Their next priority is having it done fast. Therefore, I need to make it clear that it will be done quickly as well.

My Cover Letter:

Now, I just applied what stood out to me into the body of my cover letter. Add in some style points, and you're good to go.

"Dear Cool a$$ client (don't really write this),

Sounds like you need someone detail-oriented to fix all those pesky mistakes. If that's the case, I'm your guy. I was born and raised in the United States so proofreading for grammar mistakes is something that comes as somewhat of a second nature to me.

Best of all, I will go through the articles a second time to make sure all of the mistakes are accounted for.

I can have it done within the day as well.

Thank you and I look forward to the opportunity to work with you.

Best,
Remaining Anonymous (don't really write this)

Pretty easy stuff if you just pay attention.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
Who wants an update? I'm giving one anyway, just to help further illustrate @SinisterLex's point.

So, I'm still in a trial run with my first client. He has stated that this is just a test to see who he likes and all. Standard fare on oDesk, I suppose.

He wanted me to write two articles. Using what he gave me, I noticed something peculiar about the assignment he gave me. Considering the content of these, I figured that he would be much better off with combining them, as they would otherwise look incredibly similar, and that would look bad to a customer.

So, here's what I did. I spent a fair bit of my time writing the combined article. Made it look presentable, and sent it his way. So far, of the people he's looking at, he told me that I'm the only one who considered this possibility, and am now ahead of the game.

This is pretty much what I did so far that is listed in this thread.
1. Make an impression. I'm the ONLY one of the people he's looking at who have done this.
2. Over-deliver. I could have just mentioned the articles being combined, but instead, I actually wrote it up and sent it to him.
3. I explained why this made sense for HIM. I got his back, so he'll get mine. I was able to do this because I was somewhat knowledgeable about the topic, but also because I actually absorbed the information he was tasking me with. I'm not just reading and mindlessly writing. I'm understanding the topic, applying the knowledge I have, and then presenting it in away that is best FOR him.
4. I researched the client. After a little digging, I found out he has a site. I read through it. Got an understanding about what he's selling, and can see how he writes so I can attempt to mimic it for him. This way, it won't look like a freelancer doing it. It'll look like he wrote it himself, increasing customer sincerity. Making it sound like him was hidden in between the lines of the assignment, and never directly stated, but he certainly appreciates it.

The icing on the cake? He noticed that my oDesk pay per hour was low. He knew I'm trying to build up a reputation, and because of the above, sounds willing to help me in return for what I'm doing for him. He is, before I even finished his assignment, considering hiring me to write much more for him, and asking me about the rate I would consider being hired for. Having a client who's willing to pay more for me means I could likely boost up the pay of my entire account much faster than I would have originally, all because I put in a little extra effort.

The funny part? I don't think I'm even doing very good at it. I think it's bland, and just terrible work overall, but he seems pleased with it. So don't let your own inner monologue prevent you from hitting send.

D

DeletedUser12

I've been freelancing on oDesk for over a year and it has worked out pretty good for me. The only thing I'd caution anyone starting out is to really try and set boundaries with clients early. Almost everyone seems to need everything turned around ASAP. For short term clients this is not so much of a problem. But I have a long term client, who has given me lots of steady work, but also makes me feel like I'm constantly 'on call'. Like I've gotten 'URGENT' texted to me several times along with voicemails and emails on a saturday morning.

I think the lesson goes both ways here: for freelancers, set boundaries early on with clients so you are treated as a true independent contractor. For business owners, a freelancer you've never met shouldn't be so integral to your business that not being able to get a hold of them for day is a catastrophe.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex, @tafy , I didn't mean for my post to sound so much about me. What I meant was I wanted to know how I can lay the foundation in terms of my copywriting skills to use it to fund my other projects. Tomorrow will be my first day starting the Gary Halbert 30 day challenge, I wanted to know if it would be wise to wait until after the 30 days, or learn enough to write my bio and profile, then learn as I do gigs. I have a lot of time to invest in learning copy and Im actually really good at customer service, so I wouldn't even care about the money until my clients are 100% satisfied. I know very well what I want doesn't matter to them, I just want some advice on starting so I can help.

Hey bro,

I don't know much about the Gary Halbert challenge. I've seen the thread, and seen people mention it, but it feels like another excuse for not getting real results. Not saying it won't work, just saying I'm the kind of person that likes to jump in and make shit happen with real-world feedback.

Every cover letter you send, no matter what kind of gig you're applying for, is a chance to test your copy.

If it sucks, you'll get denied, or won't get a response at all. Then you'll know you need to change something.

You can apply to writing gigs to get practice. This way you can at least make some money, while learning.

To be honest, there's still a lot I don't know about copywriting, but if I sat around worrying that I'm not good enough, or don't know enough, then I wouldn't make any money.

Take the Gary Halbert challenge. It'll probably be good for you. But apply to gigs at the same time. The more experience you get, the better. There's no reason you can't do both.

Apply - Study - Test - Repeat

P.S. I modify my bio all the time. Add, subtract ect. Just keep tweeking it until it gets results.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey @SinisterLex great thread! Your success is inspiring, and I like how you tie the relevance of NLP and social training with your process.

Are you still doing transcription?

Edit: I re-read the second page. I see you're doing copy writing, not transcription.

On oDesk, did you start with fixed-price gigs, or did you dive straight into larger projects with hourly pay?

Nah, no fixed price. There's a few reasons I prefer hourly only.

First, fixed price doesn't have guarantees. If you do the work and the client doesn't pay, it's harder to get your money. If they pay and you take off, it's harder for them to get the product. For transparency it's easier to go with hourly.

Hourly gigs take screenshots as you work. They also let you add manual time (though I never use it). This let's the client see your progress as you move through the project.

Hourly gigs offer a money-back guarantee if certain requirements are met. Fixed price doesn't (as far as I know).

Fixed price gigs only show the price of the project on your profile. If it's $20, then your profile shows you earned $20. Even with 5 stars, this really doesn't send clients a good message about your quality.

Hourly gigs record your hourly rate. Even if you only work 1 hour at $20/hr. it shows $20/hr as your rate. It's really a matter of perspective. If the client looks and sees 5 stars and $20 earned, then the gig was probably small and insignificant. But if they see 5 stars and $20/hour earned, that sends a completely different message. It tells them you're worth $20/hr, not just $20.00.

I do accept some fixed price gigs. But there's a catch...

Before I accept a gig, I interview the client. When I'm certain we're a match, I ask him to adjust the gig to my rate. If it's a $50.00 fixed price project and my current rate is $25/hr, I'd ask him to adjust it to an hourly project at $25/hr and bill for 2 hours.

This way he pays the exact same amount, but you benefit too because it gives you social proof people are willing to pay your rate.

One last thing I like about hourly...

If you over-quote a little on hours and it takes less time than you thought, then you can complete the project and actually save the client money. The amount you lose is insignificant compared to the impact you make.

You make up for it on the backend with 5 star feedback, more clients, and higher rates.

On Pay.

My first gig was transcription. It was $5.00/hr, and I had to persuade him to raise his price to that haha.

Just raise your hourly rate a few dollars each time you take a new client. Wait for big jumps until you have several 5 star feedback ratings.

ThunderbirdMike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jul 24, 2011
Bend, Oregon - USA
SUCCESS UPDATE:

Using what I've learned here (and my existing copywriting skills), I landed a solid client from Odesk.

I had set my rates WAY low initially @ $15 / hr, just to get my first reviews.

Once I gave him a test run with solid copy (@ $15/ hr to build trust) that he was satisfied with, he inquired about my project rates for longer term.

Long story short, I quickly wrote up a "rate sheet," and got the following prices, without the client batting an eyelash:

• $75 per email I write ($60 for under 300 words).
  • Hourly rate of $60. Including: client calls, research, revisions and any client communication (external) that I need to do.
Pretty pleased. All it takes is delivering good work, and CONFIDENCE to charge more.

The good clients will want to pay for value, and predictability. Make sure you give it to them.

That's all for now,

Mike

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Update:

After working with several clients, I'm starting to push away from this. It pays my bills now to the point where I don't even worry about the fact that I won't see the money I make for a month.

I opened my Upwork account in May. Within a few months, I've created myself a job. I have 3 long-term clients, one I'm about to end, and 1 JV deal (this is the most Fastlane thing I do right now and has the potential to replace every other client I have. I take a % of profits.).

(Background: I didn't start with 0 experience, I had been freelancing on and off for a few years by this point, only using referrals and, at the very beginning, Fiverr. If you want to start from 0, Fiverr is a great place to build a portfolio.)

This is not Fastlane. Not even close. But it pays the bills and leaves me extra... which I can then take and put into my own Fastlane pursuit. (It might end up as a progress thread.)

So some tips for anyone who wants to start doing this kind of thing:

General Tips:
  • Treat it like a job. If you have a job already, the only reason you would do this is to get better at a skill or to replace your income. (Full disclosure: I haven't had a job in years due to school + freelancing)
  • Go in with realistic expectations. Freelancing does not necessarily lead into Fastlane pursuits, it just gives you a little experience and capital... and a network to start with.
  • Increase your rate with every job you get, and stop at a number that's high enough to deter people who aren't serious. You'll be busy if you do this right. I turn people down left and right. I quote people prices that I doubt they'll pay. I do this on purpose: to show my value AND to shoo away those who aren't serious.
  • Use your unfair advantages. I picked a niche based on experiences unique to me and skills that I have that most don't.
  • No unfair advantages? Learn your intelligence, and learn how to use that intelligence to learn a skill, and then use that skill to fill a demand. What are you inclined to be good at? Do this and you'll be a 'digital nomad' in less than a year. I guarantee it.
  • Start today. If you haven't started, do it right now. http://upwork.com - Click it before you read the rest!
Picking and Getting Clients:
  • Your cover letter is the first place to practice your copy. Write it like a sales letter. Those who have seen my cover letters know why they work, and it's because they sell. I'll elaborate a little bit more on this if people want.
  • Pick a client that you know you can help and then communicate how you can help them and why. This will mitigate the fear of hiring someone with no feedback.
  • Offer a guarantee and promise satisfaction. If you keep reading my tips, you'll learn how to keep this promise.
  • Write each cover letter individually. Put in the TIME and you will improve the chances of getting the client. Don't use a template, don't MAKE a template, don't use copy-paste... just don't try and cut corners.
  • In the beginning, writing cover letters will be your biggest time suck. Be HAPPY that you get to spend 8 hours writing cover letters and applying for jobs. That's the most fun part, because you are practicing copy in a way that is results-driven! If you can sell yourself, you can sell a gizmo. Truth.

Pleasing Clients:
  • Get on the phone/Skype as soon as possible. Don't fear the phone. I used to fear the phone. Now, I love it. I don't hesitate to call anymore. If they give me a phone number, I jump on it. And I am quick to give mine. I make more money from people who have my phone number.
  • Overdeliver. If you're expecting to work 10 hours, and you quoted 10 hours, put in 12 and see what you come up with.
  • Give a progress report regularly and schedule regular calls. I try to call twice a week, but it depends on the client. Some clients like to be hands-off and have you conduct everything, while others micromanage and will ask to edit every little thing. I hate both of these kinds of clients: i like em in the middle.
  • Be okay with edits. If they tell you that what you wrote or designed is not what they want, guess what? That's on you, bub. Get better at communicating and fix your mistakes.
  • On the other hand, don't be afraid to end a job. Finish one job and then if they want more (or if it's a long hourly contract), tell them that your calendar is filling up and that they would be better served picking someone else.
  • Communication is key. Be sure you understand what they need. Ask them lots of questions. Let them know that the more they tell, the less time the project will take.
  • If you (1) chose a client that you knew you can help and (2) followed these tips, you will never have anyone leave unsatisfied.
Repeat Clients and Referrals:
  • If you do your job well enough, many clients have jobs lined up for you already and will simply give them to you and say "I need a yes or a no".
  • Ask for feedback on Upwork. Yes, ask for it. And don't end the contract. They will end it for you.
  • Tell them a line like this: "If you need any similar projects, let me know. I also offer x for $y (where y is a higher price than what they paid for the current project) I'm available in the near future, but I can't say for sure if I'll be available for long".
  • Also, put referrals in their mind. Tell them something like this: "If you have a friend or relative who needs x, let them know about me."
  • Talk to them regularly. Ask how their projects are going. Give them well wishes every so often. You won't even need to tell them you're available or ask them for referrals, because you'll stay in their mind.
And remember: this is the FASTLANE Forum. Don't think of freelancing as the end all be all! You want to do this to make more money, improve sales skills, and start a REAL business! Even if it's a small one like local lead gen or Amazon. And that's not the end all be all, either! Focus on improving and go bigger every year.

And if you STILL haven't started, http://upwork.com is right here, waiting for you to be clicked :) So do it NOW!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Some feedback on the whole ODesk thing.

Did my first interview via skype, text, not video.

She explained what she was looking for, Im still confused on what she needed exactly. I asked a few questions. She wanted me to write something on the spot.

I said copy takes time essentially.

She said she liked that I said it takes time. But she wasnt looking for copy I guess, she wanted these fake petitions written, I said I can have one done by tomorrow night, she said she wanted all 10 done by tomorrow night. I said not ganna happen.

She then started to offer me a different job, writing a news article. After talking about that I said I dont think im the person to write news.

She then said "Sigh, so what CAN you write."

I just said "copy".

That was it basically.

I get the impression people want to hire freelancers to start a job right then and there and have it done hours later, even if it's a big job.

Also, that people don't know what copy is. They dont know it takes a long time to write it. They dont know what goes into it.

Now, I have literally 0 confidence in my writing, never written anything before, no results. Nothing. I just study copy, thats it.

Did I talk myself out of work? Maybe idk. Thoughts flooded my mind with "what if I write these petitions, hand them in and then get yelled at because they suck and they werent what she wanted? What if she gave me a terrible review that completely ruins my whole profile?"

To me copywriting is anything with the intent to sell. Since virtually any interaction we have with another human being is to sell something, whether it be our product, our views, or ourselves, then just about anything we write can be considered copy.

When I'm not sure what a client wants, there's 2 questions I usually ask to gain clarity:

- What is the purpose of this project?
- What is the #1 thing that needs to happen?

When you have the answer to these 2 questions, then you know a lot about your client's goals, and about how to approach the content.

If a gig starts to feel like content writing vs. copywriting, then I might say something like this:

This sounds like a content writing project. Do you need someone to write content, or someone to write something that increases your sales? I ask because there's a difference and if you just need content, then it will be far more cost effective to hire a content writer. If that's the case, then I totally understand and won't waste any more of your time so you can get back to interviewing others.

This kills several birds with one stone.

- First it establishes that there's a difference between content & copywriting.
- Second it establishes that copywriting costs more, and indirectly suggests that they'll need to pay you more.
- Third it lets them know there's no hard feelings if you're not a good fit for each other.
- Fourth it establishes you as a professional because you educated them.
- Fifth it establishes you as a person of power, by suggesting that they might not be able to afford your services.

Even if you're not established as a copywriter, a statement like that has the power to get you off the hook if you're not interested in their gig, (but then why did you apply in the first place?). It also has the power to secure the gig, and potentially increase your pay.

If they ask for more info on the difference between content writing & copywriting, then you can explain so they understand. Once they understand, then they'll either hire you and let you work at your own pace, or they won't and you both go on your way.

Since you're just starting out, probably the best thing you can do is ask a lot of questions until the client gives you very specific details about exactly what she needs. Even if you're not that good at writing copy that sells, you can still write copy that satisfies (the client) by understanding her needs.

Even if they don't leave good feedback, it's not the end of the world.

One of my very first gigs I got a negative feedback. I completed the project on time and to the client's standard, but I didn't want to move forward with further gigs, and based on the fact that I didn't want to continue working for him, he left negative feedback.

So, I contacted him, and asked him what I did wrong that caused him to leave less than perfect feedback. I reminded him of exactly the job I performed, and that it was a test project to see if we were a good fit for each other. I explained that I was new to Odesk, and that I wasn't sure I was the best fit for his project moving forward. Then I offered his money back 100% and asked if he would just consider upgrading my feedback. I also told him I would, of course, leave 5 star feedback for him.

The result...

He was so impressed that I didn't disappear, offered his money back, and offered 5 stars even when he virtually screwed me, that he immediately changed my feedback to 5 stars, said he didn't want the money back, and thanked me for being one of the best freelancers he's ever met... Not only that, but he even left a glowing review.

Copywriting isn't just writing sales copy. It's writing to influence people to do things and to take specific actions. Even a content writing job can meet this purpose, and if you don't accept it based on your definition of copy, then you won't move forward at all.

If I were in your shoes, I would tell the client, "Sure, I can do that, no problem." Then do it, get good feedback, and explain how you can make the next project 10 times better if they give you time to do it right.

If you use every gig as an an opportunity to increase your skills, learn, and influence, then you'll grow, and you have the potential to become better than everyone else who doesn't because they're afraid they might fail.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been thinking about a small piece of the UpWork puzzle, and how it effects long-term opportunities.

A lot of the reviews I get, or read from freelancers go like this:

"Great client! Easy to work with. Would recommend!"

These reviews are nice, and it's cool to get 5-star feedback, but if this is all you're writing, then you're missing out on a chance to add value.

Whenever I write feedback for a client, I always go above and beyond because clients read their own feedback, and if your feedback shows how much you enjoyed working for them and how awesome they are, then they'll remember you when it comes to future gigs and referrals.

For instance, I might write something like this:

"John was a great client who was always available, very patient, and open to suggestions. I felt perfectly fine asking questions and didn't have to worry about feeling judged for not knowing all of the answers.

He's one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working for, and I'm more than happy to work for him again in the future. Freelancers rest assured that John values your work and goes above and beyond to communicate effectively and ensure the project turns out well.

I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to work for you John. I think you've got a great business idea and I'm certain if you keep going you'll hit it big very soon. I'm just happy to have played a small role in it.

Thanks again!"

As a client I'd feel really good reading something like this. I'd know that the freelancer truly valued my opportunity. What's more is I'd feel that they understood the true value of what I'm trying to create.

A lot of clients on UpWork are young entrepreneurs just like you and me. They're building startups. They're just starting out. They think their idea is great, but nobody around them gives a shit. So, imagine how they feel when they read something inspiring that motivates them to keep going even when everyone else tells them they're a fool.

Don't you think they might remember that?

It goes the other way too. If you're a client hiring a freelancer you should offer praise and a quality review. Not only does it help them get more gigs and higher pay, but it helps ensure they want to work for you again, and also makes them strive for higher quality next time.

Remember, it's all about giving people what they want. It's about making them feel good. It's about making them like you and not just your services. It's about creating value in places where it didn't previously exist. Not only do you make the client feel good, but you also help him out by proving to other freelancers that he's worth putting in the extra effort for.

When you see the value where others don't, then you can earn when others can't.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Lex here is copywriting and building a great skill for later, where he WILL sell his own shit.

He's already looking at building lead pages and other stuff based on experience he's had in copywriting for a particular niche from an Odesk client which he would never have thought of before.

I remember that 5 year conversation haha

Me "Lex where do you want to be in 5 years time"

Lex "I want a successful ecommerce business or to be a life coach" <--- Thats right I cant remeber 100% Lex?

Me "WTF are you dicking around on this website that is full of sidewalkers and is making no income?"

The rest is history, Lex if you remember the conversation better can you say it more eloquently

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
When Was Your Last Eyeglass Exam?
It's time to change your frames and see through new lenses.
You have a secret magic power, but you may not know it yet. It's hidden right in front of your face, and if you access it, it can transform you...instantly. It's the difference between the Sidewalk & the Fastlane, the Slave & the Free Man, the Mortal & the God.

It holds a key to influencing yourself and others, and when you get it, you'll finally understand what all those people mean when they say things like,

- Things aren't as bad as they seem.
- You don't have to feel that way.
- There's no such thing as failure, only opportunities to learn.

What's this Magic Tool of Influence?

In NLP it's called Reframing.

But before we can use it we first have to become aware of our current Frames of Reference.

To keep it simple, our frame of reference is the lense through which we see the world at any given moment.

What Does This Have to Do with Our Success?

Frame of Reference has EVERYTHING to do with our success. It determines how we see ourselves, how we feel, and how we think. When we operate from non-useful frames of reference, then we experience great difficulty achieving our goals.

But if we become aware of our frame of reference, then we have the power to choose new frames which are more useful for our desires.

This is the process of reframing.

The conscious act of choosing to use a new frame of reference is reframing.

Here's some examples of reframing from non-useful to useful frames for better outcomes.

Original Frame

I want to quit my job and start a business, but I'm afraid.
New Frame
I'm quitting my job to start a business. It's a thrill!

Framed one way fear holds you back. Framed another you're taking action and excited.

Original Frame
I don't have any money. It's a real burden and I can't get something started.
New Frame
I don't have any money so I'll bootstrap until I overcome the challenge.

Framed one way it's a problem that defeats you. Framed another it's a challenge you'll overcome.

Original Frame
I failed again.
New Frame
I learned what doesn't work.

Framed one way you're a failure. Framed another, you're a shining example of personal development.

Original Frame
I don't know how to do (X)... So I can't do it. It's not an option.
New Frame
I don't know how to do (X), so I bought this book to learn.

Framed one way you lack knowledge, and you suck. Framed another you lack knowledge but you'll learn.

Original Frame
The world is against me. Nothing ever goes my way.
New Frame
I'll F*cking crush the world, and anything else that gets in my way!!!

Framed one way you're a victim. Framed another you're a boss!

There's a million ways you can use re-framing. For now just pay attention to the negative thoughts, feelings, and beliefs you hold that are keeping you from success. Acknowledge them, and understand that they are what they are - non-useful frames of reference.

Then acknowledge that you have a choice.

Because you're aware that frames of reference exist, you have the power to change them.

With awareness of frames of reference we can choose to switch from non-useful to useful frames anytime.

We can choose to make excuses or we can choose to make progress.
We can choose to fail or we can choose to learn.
We can choose to be victims, or we can choose to be Gods!

When was the last time you checked your lenses?

Just Do It.

Stephanie Simon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,700%
Jul 11, 2015
Hey Guys,

I've been following this thread VERY closely and just joined Fastlane Forum yesterday. I'm brand spankin' new and am looking to build a career in freelance copywriting. I took pages of notes of the awesome feedback you guys left on here (in case you're wondering how long reading through 18 pages of AMAZING threads takes w/ notes: approx. 5 hours. TOTALLY WORTH IT, haha). I went ahead and took the most valuable advice which seemed to be STOP READING and JUST GO APPLY, and built my UpWork profile yesterday and was able to send out 2 applications.

I finished The Boron Letters this morning and practice writing more copy by sending out 3 other applications.

Approximately 30 minutes ago, I received 2 offers back to back. They had very complimentary feedback in regards to my cover letters:

First Offer: "Thank you for applying. The way you said your last client would describe you...is exactly what I am looking for. I want someone can entertain, as well as, inform. Looking forward to seeing your re-write. Thanks!"

Second Offer: "Hi Stephanie - I admire your response and would like to talk to you and likely get started ASAP. My associate and I are working now in case you get this and would like to talk this afternoon/evening before the week gets crazy.
Your posting was so good that I decided to extend the offer to hire and hope we can talk soon.
Please let me know the best way to reach you but I will go click "hire now" "

I followed the tips and suggestions from this thread to a 'T' and it yielded fantastic results. This isn't to brag but to address the concern that perhaps there is too much competition and that maybe this stuff doesn't apply anymore.

Well, it still works and there is plenty of Upwork love to go around! :) I can be a testament to that. Hopefully, this inspires Newbies who are the fence to just go for it!

Thanks so much Lex and all the other main contributors to the thread for your valuable information and for helping make this happy girl get paid.

Love,
Steph

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
FINAL UPDATE:

I no longer write copy as a deliverable. I haven't done a copy job for a client in over a month.

I sell business solutions, for which copy is a part. The other parts are hired out, and copy will be hired out very soon too.

Within the next month, I will no longer be writing any copy unless I really have to. And I will not be doing it for a direct payment.

The only work in my business that I do is liaising with customers and freelancers.

What does that mean for me? Well, it means I'm done, and let me tell you why.

The end game of this stuff is not a $60k a year job. You can get that learning a trade. You can get that hustling on Craigslist. You can get that by going to college, networking, and getting a job in middle management for a big firm. F*ck it, go work for an agency. $60k a year while writing proposals and churning out deliverables is nothing to get excited about, folks: I don't care where you live. This is not what the forum is about.

The real evolution is to take what you learned here and apply it to your own Fastlane business.

Let me give you some examples of how to apply this knowledge:
  • Writing copy for your own landing pages, websites, Amazon listings, sales funnels, and client proposals... among other things.
  • Writing copy to your job postings to attract the best freelancers or employees.
  • Using the knowledge of copy to boost your performance over the phone when talking to a potential customer.
  • Using the knowledge of copy to talk to current customers and improve your customer service.
  • Using what you learned from identifying and communicating customer needs to find new business ideas.
  • A hell of a lot more that I can't think of right now
Don't work in a business, work on a business. I guarantee you, in 99% of cases it's better to spend your time securing customers than to spend your time building the system from scratch.

Remember: the end game of learning copy and doing these jobs is NOT to create a job for yourself! That's not the goal! It's a consequence of getting good. Let me repeat: creating a job this way is a CONSEQUENCE, not a GOAL. It just happens when you start to focus and get good at writing copy, listening to customers, and (gasp) CHALLENGING them on the way they do things.

Many members of the forum think that these kinds of threads are silly. I don't, but I can see why they do. It's because you guys need to raise your expectations.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex , Last question (dont be annoyed :D) what books do you recommend on learning copywriting =)?

Ha!

Bro, I'm not annoyed. I started this thread to help.

I don't have an extensive library of copy books yet. Remember, I didn't have any experience with copy before a few weeks ago.

That said, one of the books, Magical Words that Sell, is a good one.

But I started with Cashvertising. It'll get you up to speed fast. Right now I'm about halfway through Breakthrough Advertising.

Take notes, and take your time working through em'. These 3 books may be the most powerful copywriting tools on the planet.

Other than that I'm building a small list to read. I read/study 1 to 1.5 hours every morning first thing. It keeps it fresh in my mind throughout the day. The rest of the day I find ways to apply the knowledge.

BrenndenK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
Jul 11, 2013
Working on my profile now, I've wanted to dip into this but I wasnt sure whether it was more worth focusing on creating an ecommerce business, but now I realize I need a stronger cashflow and more savings in order to be able to successfully start a business that takes investment. Along the way I will learn alot about copywriting and selling myself so it's a great idea. Dedicating myself to this 100% to replace my near minimum wage income, and then going to transition into my bigger ideas.

Focus on the customer and their needs, show them how you can solve them, and then charge them. Very simple.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.