The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Warning. This Story Starts with Failure.

A few weeks ago I pulled back from publishing (progress on the Inside.). It was eating days, draining funds and not really progressing. That’s not the focus of this post, so I’ll just say I scaled back to unplug and regroup.

I kind of felt it coming, but it wasn’t until @tafy asked me where I wanted to be in 5 years that I had to face a harsh reality. A publishing company isn’t in my plan. It sucks because I already dumped thousands of hours & dollars into it. But it is what it is. (It's not dead. Just not moving.)

Now What? Guess I’ll Freelance.

I’ll spare you the details, and cut to the chase. Tafy suggested writing copy to build funds so I can try again. So I headed out on my next great adventure and signed up on Odesk. No profile, no feedback, no hours billed. That was exactly 3 weeks ago.

Here’s my earnings this week.

Odesk This Week.png

That's around $1,000 and I've pre-sold for another $2,000ish before 1 month is over.

Wondering How? I'll Show You.

It starts with a mindset. A mindset you can read all about in @IceCreamKid 's thread here. It's funny, but I actually didn't stumble on his thread until after I started writing copy.

The mindset (for me) goes like this:

1. I will never give up, no matter how F*cking stupid I think I look every time I fail.
2. I will acknowledge my failure, learn from it, and move on.
3. I may hate the feedback others give, but I'll consider it no matter what.
4. I will strive my hardest every damn day to solve problems and create value.
5. I will learn to accept others for who they are, even when I think I hate their guts. (Still working on this one.)

How This Translates to Money on Odesk (or anywhere).

If you Google, "How long does it take to get hired on Odesk?" you'll hit pages of people whining about how it's been months and they haven't had a job.

You'll see stuff like this:

- "Why won't anyone hire me?"
- "I have all the skills the job asks for, wtf?"
- "I've done this for 20 years, have a Masters degree, but clients won't even reply..."
- "I've filled out my profile, taken tons of tests, and sent out 50 applications. Nothing."
- "I've listed every skill under the sun. I can do them all. Why can't I get work?"

The thing is, all the skills and experience in the world don't matter if the client reads me me me me me me.

My guess is 99% of freelancers send me focused applications. So, for those who send a you focused application the opportunities are limitless.

How to Send a You Focused Application when You don't Know Anything About the Client.

This part is super easy, but you can't be lazy. All you have to do is read their job listing. Everything you need to know is right there on the screen. Look for the company name. If it's there, look them up. Find out what they do. Find out who their customer is. Don't just solve the company's problem. Solve the company's customer's problems.

Show how your skills (AKA product features) benefit them first.

Example: (client wants a new web site to increase traffic.)

Bad = "I have 10 years experience designing webpages. I have a Masters degree in web design. Hire me."

Good = "Sounds like you need a design that increases site traffic. Cool, I can build an eye-popping site that makes customer navigation simple, and increases traffic 50% guaranteed. Oh, and I have 10 years of experience and a Masters to back it up.

Clients don't care about your degree, and they don't care about your experience. They care about what they care about, and if you don't show em' you care about the same, then you're not getting shit.

It's Not a Trick. It's a Lifestyle.

Focus on their problems. Focus on giving. Focus on solving. Forget about money. When they say "give first and money follows" they actually mean that shit. I know it seems hard to believe, but I swear to god it's true.

I get it... Freelance and jobs aren't exactly Fastlane, and I'm not rich either. But I'm willing to bet everything on the fact this same lesson applies no matter what business you're in. If you need money to start your real business, or if you're just starting out, or even if you've been grinding for a long time...check your focus.

It's changing everything for me.

I bet it will for you too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hahah, that's solid. I'm hiring writers on odesk and here is an applicant's cover letter that I've ignored.

"Hello,
My name is ***********. I have Ben a professional writer and editor for many years. Most of my work has been in writing about religion and Editing technical papers in Computer Science and other fields. I am a natural hopeless romantic and it's been my dream to write romance novels. If hired, I would be very enthusiastic about this project and would contribute my most to it."

Yep! That's the one. That's the exact email clients trash. It's also the kind of resume / application employers trash.

I looked at the other copywriter's profiles that applied to the same gigs as me. Almost all of them, even the big guys, had profiles talking about their passion for copywriting, and how many years of experience they have. They talk about how they've trained under every guru under the sun, and taken all the top courses, and have a degree in copywriting.

Then I get the job with my 2 weeks of experience and a few notes on Cashvertising...

Man, anyone on this forum should thank god they found it. How can you not make money here? It's literally not possible. You have to do nothing, and never listen to anything to not walk away with something.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
By the way...

For the love of god, anyone who thinks you can't make money without having money...

Read the post above... I didn't spend a dime sending those applications.

Just a bit of time.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The Driving Force
F*ck the "Why?" Find Your Who. Don't Stop Til' You're Done.

Several years ago I hit an all-time low. I was just venturing into the world of business. Just getting my toes wet. I quit my job and dove in with nothing more than an idea and a couple thousand in savings.

I wasn't a member of this forum. I hadn't read the book. I didn't know WTF I was doing at all. All of this equaled my first big, fat, failure that left me temporarily homeless, jobless, and cashless.

Honestly, if it wasn't for my amazing girlfriend, (now wife) I don't know what would have happened. Probably would of been sleepin' in my car and tippin' bottles too.

Luckily, (read hesitantly) she let me stay with her at her parent's house. If you ever want to know what the most embarrassing thing in the world is, try moving in with your girlfriend's parents who you've only met once, ever. It sucks.

Since I didn't have a job, and my business was packed up in storage, I had plenty of time for contemplating mistakes. Plenty of time for questions like:

Why am I so stupid?
Why am I such a failure?
Why doesn't anything ever work out for me?
Why don't they call me for an interview?
Why can't I ever get ahead?

The house was small and the family slowlane. My girlfriend's mom, dad, sister & sister's newborn baby + the two of us all staying in one tiny place.

After a while things went from bad to worse. I started hating everyone including myself, and especially her sister who absolutely refused to care for the child. Constant crying. Constant screaming. And all I could do was sit there and take it. It wasn't my home, it wasn't my place. I was at their mercy.

Day after day I sat there on that bed, in that attic, wallowing in self-misery. A spiraling loop of depression and madness, certainly going insane. All the while still repeating the question over and over. Why? Why?

The funny thing is, Why never changed my situation. No matter how much I mulled that bullshit around nothing changed.

It wasn't until one particularly bad night - after midnight and the screaming continued, that I hit my breaking point. I lost my cool, and it took everything I had not to let the whole family have it. I hated their lifestyle. Hated their habits. Hated them so much.

I stormed from the house and went to my car. Determined to find a moment of peace. Being below freezing, peace & comfort didn't come. Eventually I drifted into a restless sleep, but it didn't last long - soon interrupted by my girlfriend entering the passenger side.

For the longest time she didn't say anything. She just sat there, staring at me - big tear drops welling in her eyes.

In that moment I realized something. I saw clearly what I had become. I saw all of my pain and suffering reflected in those eyes. Then I saw something way, way F*cking worse. I saw all the pain and suffering she was feeling. She took a chance on me, and I was letting her down.

But then I realized something else. Even through all this bullshit... She was still by my side.

I slept outside that night, even after she went back in. Something snapped. Something changed. Thoughts of failure, gone. Thoughts of quitting, gone. Thoughts of self-pity, gone. Suddenly I couldn't think of anything but how the F*ck I'd get us out of that mess. No matter how long or how hard I had to work. I would give her the life she deserves!

The next morning I got pen and paper and crafted a detailed 5 year plan to carry us to freedom. It involved making things happen that didn't seem possible. Doing things that would test the mettle of our relationship far beyond the limits of anything we'd experienced before.

If I failed we had to start over.

If I succeeded we would be free.

Failure was no longer an option.

For the last 3 years we've worked relentlessly, executing each step one at a time. Countless setbacks. Countless roadblocks. Failure after failure, but always pressing on.

Today we're more than half way through our plan for freedom. The only bills left are a car and business debts. All will be paid in a month or two. We're over halfway there. We're earning more than either of us has ever had in our lives. We're so close to 100% freedom we can taste it in the air, and we smile every day.

If you don't get anything else from this story, please consider these 3 things:

1. Without taking action, we wouldn't have moved on.
We wouldn't have packed our bags and moved to a new city without jobs. We wouldn't be out of that miserable, self-defeating situation. We wouldn't have failed several times. We wouldn't be earning this much right now.

2. Without perseverance, we wouldn't have made it through the failures.
We wouldn't have found ways to adapt and overcome. We wouldn't be on the verge of total financial freedom despite not being rich.

3. Without the Who, I might have drove off a cliff instead of becoming driven.

F*ck the Whys. You don't need em'. Look to the Whos. Who is counting on you? Who are you fighting for?

Your girlfriend? Your wife? Your parents? Yourself?

Who in your life are you failing every time you don't accept responsibility and take action?

F*ck fear. F*ck Why.

Find your Who and take action now.

Don't stop til' you're done.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Create Value. It's Not Just A Saying. It's Literal.

I raised my hourly price $10.00 last night. Had an offer when I woke up. The thing is, this is the fourth offer in 2 weeks, and the second I had to turn down. I literally have no more hours to give...

It's not like these people just pick someone and hire. They do a lot of researching, just like buying a car. They have to be sure they can trust you. They have to be sure you're not gonna destroy their business.

They do look at your profile, so it's important to fill it out. But before they look at your education and experience, they read your bio to see if you're even a match.

It's not just about showing value in your cover letter. Your whole profile, in fact, your whole mindset has to reflect it. Clients smell fake from a mile away. This is a big part of why my last few businesses failed.

There's tons of ways to create value. Raising prices creates more perceived value. But, raising prices isn't what it's all about. Even if you get hired because of perceived value... If it's fake, you'll crash and burn.

Perceived value only works when you back it up.

Backing it up only works when you have the right mindset.

Start here:

"I can, and will help people."

That should be your foundation for all contact you have with anyone.

The second part is this:

Show them how you'll do it.

Guys, I have like a 1.0 GPA because I let my grades slip while focusing on business. Lol it's terrible, I know. But you know what. I started helping people, and now I'm overloaded with clients and earning $50.00/hr with 3 weeks of experience...

Pick a Direction - Take Action - Help People - Learn - Repeat.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
But, but, but ... freelancing isn't fastlane Mr Lex.

You should not start anything until you've worked out how to make money without spending any of your time.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Defeat The Demons You Don't Know Exist.
Don't let fear & ego make you their bitch.​

Hey guys,

@The Grind brought up a great point in the post above. The mind really can trick us into thinking we're making progress by taking action. But what we need to take is useful action. I struggled with this for a long time.

It wasn't until I listened to what others were saying that the truth came out.

All progress is progress, and all of it can teach us something. But that doesn't mean it gets us closer to our goals. It's hard as hell to step back and ask the question, but if you want to move forward you have to know for sure.

Is what I'm doing actually working?
Is it really moving me forward?

Or is it just busy work?
Is it making real progress?
Or is it rooted in ego & fear?

Ego & Fear - The Undercover Demons

Two things make it incredibly hard for us to see the mistakes we're making.

1. Our Ego - The Mind's Master

When we put a lot of time, effort, and money into a thing, it's only natural to think we're making progress. Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. Unfortunately, finding out requires challenging our ego.

To make matters worse, it's damn near impossible to do it alone. Since we're knee deep in our project, our perspective is blurred. So, to get a serious reality check, we need a third-party opinion.

This is why I always consider feedback from others, even when I hate it.
(I almost always hate it.)

Usually the feedback goes something like this, "Dude, are you retarded? You're not making any money. You're giving up all your time. You're wasting money on stuff that doesn't matter. This project doesn't even have a clear outcome. How the F*ck will you know when you've achieved your goal?"

Our first instinct is to defend our position. It's human nature to protect the ego. But success isn't attached to our ego. Success doesn't give a shit about our pitiful little feelings.

If we want success, we have to acknowledge that we are not our ego.

We have to make a habit of ignoring everything we think we know. Everything that screams, rips, and tears at our hearts & stomachs. That voice that tells the world to F*ck off! This is the one time we have to ignore it.

Because if we can't ignore that voice, then we can't allow ourselves to test other perspectives. If we don't make a habit of restraining the ego, then we miss enormous opportunities for real growth & progress.

But, for the few (and I mean THE FEW) who are able to overcome the ego, even just for a moment...they can experience the shift in mindset that changes everything. They can make real progress, because they can test the truth, and know for sure.

Everyone Else Falls By The Wayside

You don't have to. Just acknowledge that you aren't your ego. Your ego isn't "yours". Your ego is just "the ego". It's separate from you. Choose to use it on your terms, or it'll make you it's bitch.

If you don't agree that's fine. But you better consider what I'm saying, because you can't afford to be wrong.

2. Fear That Binds Controls Our Minds

Fear fuels the ego. It powers the part of us that holds us back. Most of the time, we don't even recognize it. We don't know we're experiencing fear until we've crashed and burned.

It comes in many forms. Like when we get our first MOQ quote for $1,000 on a sample of 10 units. You know... when your heart sinks deep into the pit of your stomach, and you wonder, how do I know if it's worth it?

There's also a secondary fear. It's more subtle. It's hidden. It's the mind chatter that follows the physical sensation.

Maybe you've experienced it.
  • "That's way too much. I can't afford it."
  • "I'll have to wait until I earn more money."
  • "If it costs that much for a sample, I'll never afford the MOQ."
  • "What if I order it and it doesn't sell?
  • "I should keep searching for other products."
  • "I should see what the guys on the forum say."
  • "I should read more about importing before pulling the trigger."
This is what excuses and procrastination look like. They're founded in fear. Even when our minds don't carry on about it, we still feel it. We still feel that dark cloud hovering just over our path.

This is why we have to consider feedback from others. Fear clouds our judgment. Ego clouds our judgment. Most of the time we don't recognize them because we're front & center on the business battlefield. We're knee deep in chaos.

For others our excuses are vibrantly obvious. They take a bird's eye view. They see things from 14,000 feet. That means they can give us super valuable feedback that keeps us moving forward.

But unlike dealing with the ego, there's an extra step with fear. If you want to defeat fear you'll need more than an open mind.

To defeat fear you have to take action. You have to put foot to a$$, and actually do the shit that needs done.

It's one thing to acknowledge fear. It's a whole different game to confront it. You gotta have balls. Yep, even the girls. You gotta have grit. You gotta do what you gotta do, and there's no way around it.

If you wanna make money copywriting, you gotta apply to gigs & deliver.
If you wanna make money importing, you gotta order samples & MOQs.
If you wanna sell B2B you gotta pick up the phone and call people.
If you wanna sell expensive a$$ seminars, you gotta talk to others in person.

Learning is fine. Read & learn. Teach & learn. Practice & learn.

But when push comes to shove, you either confront the fear, or become fear's bitch.

In the words of Tallahassee, "It's time to nut up or shut up."

Translation:
Rule fear & ego, or be ruled. There is no in between. Everything else is action faking.

If You're Still Breathing, You're Still Alive.

Whatever your fear is. Whatever holds you back. It's time to confront it. If you don't know what's holding you back, then talk to someone on the forum. Ask for an outside opinion. It's the only way to know for sure.

Once You Know, Then Let It Go.

None of this stuff is scary. None of it will kill you.

Who F*cking cares if you sound like a moron on the phone. It's you and one other person who either buys your product, or forgets you as soon as they hang up. Either way it's not the end of the world.

Who cares if you blow $1,000 on shitty samples. You never leave with nothing. You get experience and confidence. (Maybe even a nice sample of foot cleansers if you're like me!)

Who cares if your copy sucks. Let them bitch about it. Give their money back. Then consider their feedback, and thank god you can finally move forward. You have to know your weak points to make them stronger.

Consider Feedback.
Control the Ego.
Confront Fears.

Defeat your demons and conquer the world.

We can talk about tactics 24/7. You can read every book on the market. But if you don't use the knowledge, your life won't change.

What fear will you confront today? What useful action will you take?

Just Do It.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to learn copywriting, so I might as well make some money too. I would love to hear some advice for beginners with no experience in copywriting looking for work as a copywriter on ODesk.

Here's a copywriting tip...

When you write the About page for a website, there should be more mentions of "you" than "I", "we", or "my".

It's not about you, it's what you can do for them.

Anyone reading your About page does not want to learn about you, but find out how you can help them.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How I Overcame Fear, Failed, Recovered & Drove Forward
My $100/hr interview from a couple hours ago.
Fight Fear with Analysis & Common Sense

Remember a few posts back when I mentioned someone contacting me about a $100/hr job? Remember how I was trying to decide whether or not to decline? Well, there's more to the story than that.

Before I take on a new client I look at who else they've contacted to see what my competition is like. Not only does this show me what I'm up against, but it tells me what to capitalize on - their weaknesses.

So I was looking at my competition, and noticed his copy was really good. He did some cool stuff with NLP & persuasion tactics and made it clear how he'd give the client what he wants (increased sales).

In fact, his profile was so good I started believing he was better than me. That he was more knowledgeable and had more experience so I shouldn't even bother interviewing.

I let this guy get inside my head (actually I got inside my own head) and soon I was totally stuck. So, I decided to read his profile one last time to see if there was any way I could beat him. That's when I noticed it wasn't actually You focused.

He kept mentioning how he could increase the client's sales and use NLP to influence and persuade blah blah blah, but he never mentioned how he would help the client's customers. That was my striking point.

Still feeling unsure of myself, but with slightly renewed confidence, I accepted the interview and scheduled for 11 today.

Epic Failure May Not Be as Bad as It Seems

As 11 rolled around I did a bit of last minute research into my client and discovered he recently co-authored a book with Deepak Chopra, and owns like 5 big companies. Yeah, he's a pretty big deal as far as clients go.

Great, now I'm feeling nervous.

I start thinking about how I'll explain the NLP techniques I'll use, and how I'll meet his needs. Nothing specific pops into my mind, so I open a second browser and bring up some NLP techniques just in case I need them.

Finally it's 11. The client pops on a few minutes later and starts the Skype call. It's going well, and we have good rapport from the start. Then he sends me a sales letter and wants my analysis. It was awkward reading it while on a Skype call, but I did the best I could and tried to gather my thoughts.

It was rough explaining them to him, but I came at it from a vague angle, hoping he'd fill in the blanks. Unfortunately, being a world-renowned lifecoach, he wasn't gonna let me off that easy.

Client: How specifically would you write persuasion into this letter?

Me: Uh, I would focus on your reader's desires, and build on those desires to bring them to action.

I tried to gather my thoughts again, but had a hard time expressing them.

Then he took it to the next level...

Client: "Can you demonstrate how you'll use NLP in this letter?"

Me: "Uh..."

Then it happened. All thought was gone. Couldn't process anything. Was totally frozen. Hoped to buy time with a stalling question.

Me: "Do you want me to write it or speak it."

Client: Outloud if you don't mind so I can hear the voice you'll use in the writing.

Seconds passed in silence. I forgot all about my second browser, open with NLP shit all over the screen. Then more seconds. Then more. Nothing.

EPIC FAILURE

But then something happened...

Inside my head: F*ck it there's only one thing to do. Honesty.

Me: "Hey bro, I totally froze. I'm not as articulate in person as in writing. If you want I'll write the first letter for you for free and you can use it as a sample to see my style and how I'll write your other letters."

More silence. Then...

Client: "Wow..."

Client: "That's the most impressive thing I've ever heard in an interview, ever. Just, wow. Most people would have made an excuse. I accept your offer."

Holy Shit Balls Did That Just Happen?!

Not only am I still in the running, but I made an impression! That means he'll remember me. I don't have the gig yet, but even if I don't get it, this guy will remember my name, and why I stood out.

So, I guess there's several lessons here.

1. Don't let fear stop you from trying.
2. If you fail at something, own that shit.
3. Even when you fail it's not as bad as it seems.
4. Pick yourself up and drive on even when you fail.

Who knows if I'll get the gig, but I definitely established a connection for later on.

You'll have to wait til' Monday to find out what happens next.

Feeling: Stressed as a Mother F*****, but feeling amazing for not quitting before trying.

Hey guys,

I know I said you'd have to wait til Monday to find out what happens. Well I didn't find out until today, so I couldn't share with you.

I did write the letter the very next morning, and it took around 5 or 6 hours, starting at 1 am (I have max brain-power & creativity in the early morning). The actual letter was finished in an hour or two.

The rest was the time I spent over-delivering.

I poured my heart & soul into it, and by the time I finished, was completely exhausted. But I felt strongly that this was the most powerful letter I'd written since starting on Odesk.

He wanted a demonstration of psychological persuasion so that's exactly what I gave him.

So it was a bit disheartening when Monday rolled around and I didn't get a call. Mind you I didn't give up hope, and didn't consider it a failure. I gave it everything I had and if it wasn't what he was looking for, then so what.

At least I tried.

So this morning I'm sitting here working on a project for another client, when suddenly Skype rings.

Was totally unprepared since I didn't have any calls scheduled.

I ran upstairs, and hooked up the microphone, and guess who it is! The client, duh.

He starts talking and doesn't take long to get to the point.

"Your letter is excellent but it isn't quite right for our target audience..."

(I didn't even know his target audience so I improvised when writing it.)

Damn.

Then he said the magic word.

"...but,

out of all the freelancers we interviewed, and all of the samples we received, yours was the only one that delivered and showed exactly how you would implement psychological influence
. So, we'll need to schedule a time to discuss our target market further, but you're hired."

And that's all there is to it.

That's How I Became a $100/hr Copywriter in 5 Weeks.

F*ck you fear.
F*ck you doubt.

Just Do It.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Yes excellent thread glad I found this. The parts I'm having trouble with are the experience, education, portfolio's, really most of the fields in your bio, I have to leave blank because I don't have any formal education or experience yet in copy.

I can apply for jobs and say what I can do for them all day long, but when they click on my profile to look at my profile, it's going to look terrible except for the about me.

Judge Judy calls statements like this predicting the future. The assumption Y will happen if X action is taken. Since we can't predict the future, this isn't useful thinking in regards to business. This holds most people back from taking any action, ever.

Entrepreneurs can't predict the future, but we can make educated guesses. If you assume not having your profile filled out will hold you back, then it will.

I didn't assume that. I assumed the opposite - that someone would hire me if I could get their attention and build connections through private messages.

We Don't Need No Education...

My profile had/has no school listed. No degree. No certifications. The only experience listed was my publishing site, and the copy isn't even that good. Other than that, I spent time figuring out how my past experience in other fields, relates to copy. This is what's in my bio.

Add other experience. If you type fast, list it. If you're good with Word, list it. If you took debate class in high school, list it. Just show how it relates. Show how you'll use it to accomplish the task. If you can't do that, then you probably need to apply to smaller/less important gigs until you can do it.

Also take Odesk's tests. The tests cover a wide range of subjects and serve as a quick glance at your skills.

There's tons of free online courses with human relations training. Google "FEMA online courses". They teach interpersonal communication, and you get a certificate.

If you don't have any portfolio pieces, build some. Write some articles or find someone to let you write their about page for free. Go to any local business with a shitty website and see if the owner will let you do it for free.

Profiles Only Add Oomph to Your Cover Letter.

Your profile isn't what's important. Everything in your profile supports your main message, which is in your cover letter. When you start learning copy, you'll quickly understand this.

Your cover letter has to get attention from the very first line. Then build interest by showing how you'll solve their problems. Create relationships with clients by reading between the lines.

Look at what they write to you. Are they formal? Casual? Do they use punctuation, or do they use all lowercase letters and smiley faces.

All this stuff gives you clues to how that client thinks and acts. Learning how to read them takes time. If you learn their thought process, then you can reply using their own language, writing style etc.

If you want copy gigs, you have to show you can write copy. Use your cover letter to prove it. Even if you're just learning, you can still put copy best practices to use.

AIDA

- Attention
- Interest
- Desire
- Action

This process is proven in copywriting. Look it up.

At some point you have to prove your skills. High dollar clients know what they're looking for in cover letters. They're entrepreneurs just like you. You have to prove yourself, whether it's in your cover letter or profile. I use both to sell them.

Every cover letter is personalized. Every cover letter is a sales letter. However, none uses the same format. I change them every time, try new things, and see what works.

They don't take 5 minutes. Sometimes they take like 2 or 3 hours between researching the client, and writing copy.

This isn't a get middle-class income fast idea. If you want the money you gotta work for it, and you gotta connect with clients. You gotta build rapport. You gotta make em' like you.

Puzzles have lots of pieces. They mean nothing until you connect them.

Quit holding yourself back. Quit predicting the future. Just take action. Focusing on others. Listen to my advice. Experience the change.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What Are You So Afraid Of?
How to Overcome Fear of Failure by Failing.
Yesterday someone PM'd asking if I could relate to feeling scared. He said he knows this is possible, but feels like if he just jumps in it won't work. So, today I just wanna let you know one thing...

Success is F*cking scary!

Problem is, there's only one way to grow. It's called courage. Courage is when you experience fear and decide to go on anyway.

Have you ever read a storybook hero who didn't have to fight a dragon, an alien, or an entire army to claim his glory? No, because heroship is only awarded those who overcome the impossible. It's reserved for those who are scared as shit, but get the job done anyway. Courage forges heroes.

If You Never Take Risks, You Never Win Big.

It's that simple. If you don't swing for the fences, you won't hit home runs. If you don't approach girls you won't get laid. If you don't take some kind of action to achieve your goals. You won't achieve them.

Growing is scary. Change is scary. Doing things different is scary. All of it makes us uncomfortable because we don't have any guarantees. We don't know if things will work. We don't know if we'll fail. But you know what... Discomfort forges heroes.

How I Became A Social Introvert.

Eight years ago if you asked me to walk into a full room of strangers and become the center of attention, I would of called you crazy. That's if I talked to you at all, because I'm a die-hard introvert who hates talking to people!

Back then I didn't know anything about anything. Just a scared kid. But I was learning about body language, and starting conversations. I'd studied for two weeks. Then I read this...

Go out and find someone to talk to right now. It doesn't matter what it's about. Talk to someone while standing in line. Talk to someone at the mall. Talk to anyone about anything. Approach them in 3 seconds and start a conversation. You have to start it, not them. Do it now."

That's when shit got real. Suddenly I was face to face with my worst nightmare. Sure, I'd learned all kinds of neat stuff like icebreakers, attention getters, convo starters etc. But none of my studies taught me how to approach someone and do it!

This was the make or break point. This was the choice. Either I go out right now, talk to people, & risk looking like a fool, or I don't, and always wonder what would of been.

So, I swallowed the lump in my throat, got dressed and went to town. 3 seconds. I walked into a store up to the cashier, smiled big and said, "Hi there!"

Cool I just started a conversation!

Then she smiled back, "Hi, how can I help you?"

Shit! WTF do I say now?!

I was so focused on starting the conversation, I forgot how to keep it going! Seconds turned into a lifetime. A blank stare covered my glazed face. "I uh..." EPIC FAILURE!!!

Eventually I caught my breath, smiled again and said, "I don't know if you can help me. I just want to ask how your day is going." You know what happened after that?

The cashier beamed from ear to ear. It turns out, I was the first person who wasn't just another boring customer, and we talked for like 20 minutes. By the time it was over I had a new friend!

After that I kept at it. Sometimes I failed miserably, but most tries were successful. Every try was a chance to learn, to grow, and to get better.

Fast forward to now. I still hate talking in person. I still hate talking on the phone. But I can do both, and because I practiced, I can do them pretty well. If you send me into a room full of strangers, I'll walk right to the middle of the group and take command, and by the time I leave, people remember me.

You know why they remember?

Because the one who risks failure - the one who proves his courage. That's the one that stands out. That's the one that makes a difference. That's the one everyone else wants to be.

Few have the balls to try, but the universe rewards those that do.

Not All Of My Actions Ended So Well...

I'm 28 years old and already have a lifetime of crazyass experiences. I never let fear stop me because living is too much fun. That doesn't mean I haven't experienced failure along the way. Here are some things I can say that most people can't, because I took some kind of risk in the form of action or money, (or both).

Notice how most of these end in some kind of failure.

• Lit 10,000 firecrackers in Hardees parking lot. Cops arrived a short time later.
  • Speeding 10mph over. Ran from cops. Whole police force arrived a short time later.
  • Accidentally flipped off some guy on the autobahn. Turns out he was like the general of their police force. Instantly sped off. Unfortunately, the exit I took put me right in the police station parking lot. Biggest WTF moment of my life.
  • Quit my job to start a Lego portrait business with 0 business experience. Crashed and burned.
  • Became a combatives instructor. Spent $3,000 and never sold my services.
  • Imported stuff from China. Spent $1,000 and never sold a single product.
  • Spent $2,000 buying from thrift stores on credit, sold some stuff, but not enough.
  • Had sex in a park. Divorced that angry broad a short time later.
  • Snowboarded off the biggest cliff ever with 0 experience. Lost my snowboard in 10 seconds, face planted against the mountain and rolled head over heels to the bottom...
  • Became a published author.
  • Became a paratrooper.
  • Became a CPR Instructor.
  • Became a publishing company, spent thousands, published hundreds of books, gained 600+ members and put it all on hold.
  • Became a badass copywriter. Earning money so fast I'll pay off all debts in like a month...
There's probably a million stories I could tell beyond that stuff. All because I risked failure. Of the stuff on that list, 80% of it failed. But you know what... I'm still alive, and I'm doing better than ever before.

Failure Isn't The End.

It's just a bump in the road. Usually it gives us hints about what we need to change.

If we let fear stop us, then we never fail. But we also don't succeed.

Fear & Failure Forge Heroes.

If you wanna get where you're going, you gotta face your fears. You gotta accept that shits scary, but you also gotta make a choice to press on anyway.

VERY few people have what it takes.

The few that do end up realizing things didn't turn out so bad after all.

Now It's Your Turn.

What are you afraid of today?

Reply to this post. Tell us. Tell us what action you're avoiding because of fear of failure.

Do that thing you're afraid of. Do it right now!

Then report back and let us know how it went.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
My skill include wordpress site setup, making youtube video, this is example video I made:

SEO - keyword research, link building, Facebook Ads - have experience doing contest - increasing page 2k page likes, google adwords campaign, basic photoshop - image editing. Can learn fast, any skills related to job.

My experience include - setup this website, I did some part of content design/upload: http://mbsales.net.au and

for this site, I have set it up with a theme for this site: http://www.ozbiztotal.com/

These are high-demand skills on Odesk. I'm billing over a thousand the week after next for a Wordpress site... Could easily have charged way more, but wanted to cut the guy a deal.

All you have to do is go find jobs. Read the description, and tell them how your skills help them. Inform them. Even tell them what they should look for in a good video/website. Give them helpful info. It doesn't matter if they choose someone else. This is how you create value. If you do it, they'll pick you. If they don't pick you this time, they'll come back later. They'll remember you. But you have to give them a reason to remember.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
SinisterLex,

First of all, fantastic writing style!

I think the essence of what you're saying is:

=> LEARN COPYWRITING <=

Thanks to this awesome forum I started studying Gary Halbert & Co.

You will benefit from learning copywriting, no matter what you're doing for a living.

P.S. I love your idea of having the "P.S." as a second post, just below the opening post!

Hey Ma Co,

Thanks for the compliment!

The essence is this:

Pick a direction
Take Action
Help Others
Learn as you go

Forget copywriting. It's a skill. Copywriting has nothing to do with this post. My first Odesk gigs weren't copywriting. They were transcribing because I type really fast (like, fast enough to over-deliver for sure).

No single skill is gonna make all the difference. In fact, nothing in the world makes a difference until you show how it helps other people.

Copywriting may help get attention, but it won't help at all if you're focused on yourself. If copywriting was what counted, then all those people with way more experience would crush me on every application.

But it's not what counts, and they don't.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex , Hey man great post. I was actually considering learning copywriting in the near future, but reading this post inspired me to start now. I want to learn copywriting, so I might as well make some money too. I would love to hear some advice for beginners with no experience in copywriting looking for work as a copywriter on ODesk.

Copywriting isn't what you need to learn...

You need to learn how to solve other people's problems.

There's tons of advice above, but until you stop focusing on yourself, it won't do you any good.

Any time you catch yourself saying "I want" - backtrack and ask yourself what you will give first.

This isn't a copywriting thread. That's why I put it under general entrepreneurship. It's a thread about making money. Copywriting by itself won't do jack for you.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you for sharing this Lex, very inspiring and helpful.

I'm having some trouble filling out my BIO. For education and experience. If you're literally just starting working as a writer. No college degree for it, no experience. What do you recommend to put in the bio? Do you have an example of what a good bio looks like or a reference for one, again with no experience or degree for what you're offering.

Hey there,

I'm in the middle of nowhere typing from my phone, so I'll try to give the best answer I can under the circumstances haha.

If you want gigs with no degree or experience, you have to figure out what skills and experience you do have. Then figure out how you can use them to meet the client's needs.

If you've never written anything, then you'd better have something else to offer. There's tons of skills that apply to writing that may not seem to relate at all.

Like, if you type fast then that keeps costs low and helps ensure fast delivery. If you're good with MS Word then clients won't need to spend time teaching you how to format.

You can also offer things most others won't. I offer free adjustments, free reports and a personal money-back guarantee that extends beyond odesk.

Add the skills you have and show how they help.

But, your profile isn't the main focus if you really want to pursue this. Probably 80% of getting gigs is your actual application. It has to be custom tailored to the individual client's needs every single time.

You have to grab their attention in the first line of your cover letter by showing what problem of theirs you solve. Then focus on building a connection by just being yourself.

If they're not paying much then writing quality isn't such a big deal, just be willing to work hard and learn.

By the way, be sure to ask yourself, can I honestly help this client? Or am I applying because it's what I want?

It sounds like writing is what you want. Client's don't care what you want. Not until you prove you can give them what they want.

If you can't legitimately deliver what they need, then you should apply to gigs you can deliver on while learning to write on the side.

If you try to go for big fish and learn at their expense, it's not gonna end well!

Also, I didn't add any examples because I'm on my phone but also because any example won't have your personality. It will have theirs and that won't help you until you learn to connect with people using your personality.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How to Get Feedback so Good It Sells Your Next Client for You.

Hey guys,

You wanna start fast on Odesk or any other public review site, then you need 5 star feedback and it can't be fake. People see right through fake. So, you need to know what to say, and when to say it, so your clients leave feedback so good you don't have to explain your rates to the next guy.

Start by Understanding People

Most people don't leave feedback unless you piss them off, or give them an experience so mind-blowing, they'd be doing a social injustice by not sharing it.

So, the first step is avoid pissing them off, and the second is to make them really happy.

It's all about the experience and it starts from your very first contact. Clients are super used to freelancers sending half-assed cover letters that talk about their experience, education, and a bunch of other boring shit.

You have to be the pink elephant, the purple cow, the publicity stunt etc. You have to stand out from the very first time they open your cover letter. But that's not exactly easy when you can't even make words bold (on Odesk).

Standing Out Starts With Your Headline.

There's 2 headlines that make you stand out. The first just re-uses keywords from the job posting to tap into their needs. For instance if they say:

"Small company seeks content writing Ninja with background in Wordpress. Site goes live next week. Must hire ASAP!"

Your headline might be:

"Awesome Content Writer and Wordpress Developer Guru Ready to Deliver When You Are. Let's Get Started!"

They already know what they want/need, so you just show you give it to them. They're ready to buy. All they need are those key words.

Still, I like to associate feelings with desires. By adding positive words like "Awesome" beside "Content Writer", or "Guru" after "Developer" the quality and the skill are associated subconsciously. This is how you start building the total experience.

The other way to get attention is with creativity. But, make sure you still tap their desires because creativity without desire = "This guy is retarded..." Using the job from above, here's how a creative headline might go:

"Awesome Content Writing Wordpress Developer Guru That Can Start Right Now. And I Smell Good Too!"

You still tap their desires, but you add a little flare, a little personality. It's all about the little things that set you apart. The little things that show you're a cut above the rest.

The Bulk of Your Interactions

Once you get their attention, it's time to make them feel special. Every single thing you say needs to scream IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU!

If you need clarification on something, don't just ask. Ask and build the experience at the same time.

Bad = "How many words should the article be?"

Good = "I really want to make sure I understand your needs. So I can give you exactly what you want, can you tell me how long your article should be?"

Maybe this sounds corny to you, but client's don't read it that way. They read it as, "holy shit this guy actually cares about my thoughts, and values my opinion." This adds on to the total experience.

Every interaction you have with the client. Even the smallest little thing...MUST be YOU focused.

Final Delivery - End of Contract - Securing 5 Star Feedback

You worked hard to give them what they want. Your product and service are good. You've built the total experience. The final step is sealing the deal by indirectly confirming their feedback before they even think about submitting it.

After you send the product, you have to remind them why they like you in the first place. Here's how I do it.

"Hey John,

I've just finished your content. There's 2 documents attached. The first is a Word file, and the second is a PDF version for your convenience. Should there be any corrections, let me know and I'll fix them for free.
I've truly enjoyed working for you. This was an excellent experience, and I can't wait to work for you again.

Whenever you're ready to end the contract, I'll leave 5 star feedback and a great review so other freelancers know you're legit, and will be willing to work with you in the future.

Thanks again,

Lex"

Behind the Scenes

The closing statement above does a lot of stuff. By now you should be talking to the client on a semi-personal level (such as first name basis). If you can give something extra for free (like a PDF version of the text) do it. It invokes the power of a proven psychological tactic called reciprocation that makes them feel a strong pull to return the favor. You give to them, now they give to you.

Keep it YOU focused. You don't work with the client. You work for the client. In reality this isn't true, but we don't give a shit about reality. We care about the total experience and how it appears to the client.

Finally, let them know you'll leave 5 star feedback. That way they don't worry about whether you'll give them less than 5 stars. That's right, they're just as worried about it as you are, because bad feedback for them = higher prices on freelance bids. Ease their fears, and make it easy for them to like you.

Summary

It's all about the experience. It's all about them, not you. It's all about over-delivering, and confirming their experience at every single interaction no matter how big or small. Just focus on them, give them what they want, make it awesome, and you'll get great feedback every single time.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a couple questions.

Did you have freelancing experience before a couple of weeks ago?

You said your first freelance jobs weren't copywriting. Are they primarily copywriting now? I ask because I have studied a fair amount of copywriting and would be trying to get copywriting jobs.

Did you have copywriting experience (professional or personal) before this past month?

How did you determine your price-per-job? Was it based on a personal hourly number, or did you try to price yourself competitively?

Thanks for the post. You have a stellar mindset.

Before I started the only freelance experience I had was from the hiring side. I've hired a couple of people on odesk for writing gigs, and a few others for web development. I didn't have any experience as a freelancer.

I have about 10 years of self-study in influence & persuasion, and even persuasive writing, but definitely not copywriting. What's funny is I never truly understood how to implement a lot of that stuff until switching the focus to other people.

Price Per Job

At first I picked a few jobs that were low pay. I started with transcription because I type fast, and it would be easy to over-deliver. Then Tafy hired me for a small copy job. I did it for $5.00, though it took several hours. Both clients left 5 star feedback.

After that I applied to content writing gigs - writing blog articles for small amounts daily. There's tons of people looking for content writers, so these are easy to find.

With a few jobs on my belt, I raised my price from $5 to $13/hr. Once I got hired at $13, I moved to $14, then to $15. By now I'd finished taking notes on Cashvertising, and had a couple of small copywriting gigs showing in my profile.

Next I bumped it to $29/hr. It was a big leap, but now I had 5 stars, good test scores, and a strong bio. I'm a native English speaker, which is super important for most copy gigs. Plus I offered what other copywriters won't - a money-back guarantee.

At $29/hr I booked a semi-full-time gig with an online Canadian sex toy company. I had to try out against a bunch of other people. Luckily, writing erotica and romance short stories for the last year paid off.

So, now I'm their lead copywriter. They hire others to write simple product descriptions, but I write all the stuff that engages customers.

As my hours filled up, I increased my rates. Now It's sitting at $49/hr, but I can't even accept that because I don't have time for any more clients.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How I Overcame Fear, Failed, Recovered & Drove Forward
My $100/hr interview from a couple hours ago.
Fight Fear with Analysis & Common Sense

Remember a few posts back when I mentioned someone contacting me about a $100/hr job? Remember how I was trying to decide whether or not to decline? Well, there's more to the story than that.

Before I take on a new client I look at who else they've contacted to see what my competition is like. Not only does this show me what I'm up against, but it tells me what to capitalize on - their weaknesses.

So I was looking at my competition, and noticed his copy was really good. He did some cool stuff with NLP & persuasion tactics and made it clear how he'd give the client what he wants (increased sales).

In fact, his profile was so good I started believing he was better than me. That he was more knowledgeable and had more experience so I shouldn't even bother interviewing.

I let this guy get inside my head (actually I got inside my own head) and soon I was totally stuck. So, I decided to read his profile one last time to see if there was any way I could beat him. That's when I noticed it wasn't actually You focused.

He kept mentioning how he could increase the client's sales and use NLP to influence and persuade blah blah blah, but he never mentioned how he would help the client's customers. That was my striking point.

Still feeling unsure of myself, but with slightly renewed confidence, I accepted the interview and scheduled for 11 today.

Epic Failure May Not Be as Bad as It Seems

As 11 rolled around I did a bit of last minute research into my client and discovered he recently co-authored a book with Deepak Chopra, and owns like 5 big companies. Yeah, he's a pretty big deal as far as clients go.

Great, now I'm feeling nervous.

I start thinking about how I'll explain the NLP techniques I'll use, and how I'll meet his needs. Nothing specific pops into my mind, so I open a second browser and bring up some NLP techniques just in case I need them.

Finally it's 11. The client pops on a few minutes later and starts the Skype call. It's going well, and we have good rapport from the start. Then he sends me a sales letter and wants my analysis. It was awkward reading it while on a Skype call, but I did the best I could and tried to gather my thoughts.

It was rough explaining them to him, but I came at it from a vague angle, hoping he'd fill in the blanks. Unfortunately, being a world-renowned lifecoach, he wasn't gonna let me off that easy.

Client: How specifically would you write persuasion into this letter?

Me: Uh, I would focus on your reader's desires, and build on those desires to bring them to action.

I tried to gather my thoughts again, but had a hard time expressing them.

Then he took it to the next level...

Client: "Can you demonstrate how you'll use NLP in this letter?"

Me: "Uh..."

Then it happened. All thought was gone. Couldn't process anything. Was totally frozen. Hoped to buy time with a stalling question.

Me: "Do you want me to write it or speak it."

Client: Outloud if you don't mind so I can hear the voice you'll use in the writing.

Seconds passed in silence. I forgot all about my second browser, open with NLP shit all over the screen. Then more seconds. Then more. Nothing.

EPIC FAILURE

But then something happened...

Inside my head: F*ck it there's only one thing to do. Honesty.

Me: "Hey bro, I totally froze. I'm not as articulate in person as in writing. If you want I'll write the first letter for you for free and you can use it as a sample to see my style and how I'll write your other letters."

More silence. Then...

Client: "Wow..."

Client: "That's the most impressive thing I've ever heard in an interview, ever. Just, wow. Most people would have made an excuse. I accept your offer."

Holy Shit Balls Did That Just Happen?!

Not only am I still in the running, but I made an impression! That means he'll remember me. I don't have the gig yet, but even if I don't get it, this guy will remember my name, and why I stood out.

So, I guess there's several lessons here.

1. Don't let fear stop you from trying.
2. If you fail at something, own that shit.
3. Even when you fail it's not as bad as it seems.
4. Pick yourself up and drive on even when you fail.

Who knows if I'll get the gig, but I definitely established a connection for later on.

You'll have to wait til' Monday to find out what happens next.

Feeling: Stressed as a Mother F*****, but feeling amazing for not quitting before trying.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ Lol... the first step to getting that copywriting gig on Odesk is to learn enough copywriting to write your own bio, and to apply for the gigs.

It's funny that so many of the copywriters that @SinisterLex sees on Odesk have bios all about themselves, and not what they can do for the prospective clients. If you can't write copy selling your own services, then how're you going to do it for your clients?

This is a great thread.

Also read @IceCreamKid 's thread about ice cream.

And go find MJ's story about money being like a cat.

At the end of the day, it's not about YOU, but what you can do for others.

EDIT: I'm bookmarking this thread and will point people to it the whenever they post a thread asking how to make money online, or saying they don't know where to start.

This thread IS about copywriting, and IS about selling, and IS about being successful in business.

You've got to get your mindset right first.

Eradicate "I want" from your vocabulary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex , Great advice man. The fact that you studied persuasion really caught my attention. Mind sharing some good books or resources for learning persuasion and NLP. I see a lot of NLP courses online but they seem gimmicky.

Influence (Yourself & Others)
- How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
- The 48 Laws of Power
- The Art of War
- Leader Effectiveness Training
- Get Selected for Special Forces
- The Mystery Method
- Thick Face Black Heart
- A Guide to Rational Living
- Tribes
- Get Anyone to do Anything
- Predictably Irrational
- Cashvertising
- Breakthrough Advertising
- Magical Words that Sell

NLP
- The User's Manual for the Brain Volume I & II
- Mind Lines: Magical Lines to Transform Minds
- Anything by Richard Bandler
- EVERYTHING by Milton Erickson (His focus is actually hypnosis)

Personality Typing
- Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self Discovery
- The Wisdom of the Enneagram
- Personality Selling (Mixes NLP, Hypnosis & Personality Typing)

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Probably means they had the most impact on my life.

As for courses, I'm about halfway through the online NLP Practitioner course at iNLP Center. Its $450 and comes with certification at the end (great for empty certificate fields... hint hint.) The material is top notch and utilizes text, audio & video. It's self-paced and easy to understand.

It also has "Stealth Missions" which are assignments you carry out in the real world and report back in the classroom. This way you get direct experience if you've got the kahones to try it.

If any military spouses are reading this, be sure to email iNLP and tell them to get signed up with MYCAA military spouse scholarship program. Its $4,000 of free money. All they have to do is send their accreditation and their curriculum to the MYCAA staff.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Freedom of what? OK. My freedom costs 10-15.000.000 bucks. You can't earn this money on odesk.

Then perhaps you shouldn't use Odesk to achieve your freedom.

But you asked why other smart people use Odesk.

Your definition of freedom is not the same as everyone else's.

From my perspective you haven't actually defined freedom for yourself. You've defined a dollar amount that you believe will be enough to keep you from having to work again in the future. That's great.

Everyone who bets on the lottery believes the exact same thing.

"If only I had 15 million I would never have to work again."

Just one problem. Even if it's dropped in your lap, you're still a slave to the mindset. That's why most people who win the lottery lose the money in a year or two.

My definition of freedom is this:

- to come and go as I please
- to work or not as I please
- to not have to worry about how I'll pay bills
- to influence others and create positive change in their lives
- to enjoy the journey
- to do things the way I want to do them
- to have the freedom to travel when I please
- to have the freedom to tell people who think they have power over me to go to hell

All of these things are happening for me now. I don't need millions, but I strive for that, because that's part of the journey too.

So, to answer your question, it's freedom of choice.

Even if you earn 15 million over night, it won't make a difference, because you'll still be the same guy you were yesterday, just with more money. Until your mind finally connects that freedom, power, & money though closely related, are not the same thing, then you're still a slave to the slowlane mindset.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Deploy Secret Weapons of NLP Mind Control To Earn Money Fast.

Ever heard of NLP? It stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming.

Neuro = Brain/Mind or Cognitive
Linguistic = Language/Communication
Programming = Automated processes

If you’ve read “The Game” by Neil Strauss, then you know all about the secret weapons of influence used by the world’s top pick-up artists.

If you read a bunch of Odesk copywriter profiles, you’ll notice some (including mine) list experience in NLP. But why?

There’s a common misconception that NLP gives you the power to make others do what you want. This isn’t actually true. But it does answer why people list it.

Some clients believe you can control the minds of prospects with the words you use. They believe in manipulation for personal gain, though they’ll never say it aloud.

There’s just one problem…

People Aren’t Stupid.

NLP may be about communicating with the subconscious mind, but there’s one thing it can’t do. It can’t hide bullshit from plain sight. This goes for any influential weapon you use. Why?

Because influence doesn’t work that way.

Water Flows Because It’s Willing

Influential tactics won’t work on customers or clients if you’re putting yourself first. They’ll see right through you. This is where the term “transparency” comes from.

Modern companies have to be transparent. They can’t use shady, self-centered tactics anymore. It doesn’t work. Does that mean NLP doesn't work at all? No. NLP techniques work incredibly well, but only when you do it right.

The idea behind influence is not, and never was to make people do what they don’t want. Instead, it’s about moving along the path of least resistance (their path) and helping guide them to make decisions in their best interest.

When you put their interests & desires first, the doors of influence swing wide open.

So WTF, You Said NLP Was A Weapon Of Mind Control...

It is. But it isn't meant to control their mind. It's meant to help you control yours.

NLP helps us achieve useful outcomes by giving us the power of choice. The techniques allow us to transform the way we think and see the world. The founding principle is to use what works, and lose what doesn't. In this way, we progress much faster.

But How Do I Use It To Make Money Fast?

The first step is recognizing your stuck state. If you're not getting hired, making money, or making progress, then there's a reason. Probably you're still focusing on yourself instead of others.

So, if you want to make money, you've gotta be honest with yourself. Ask yourself if your goal is to make money, or to help others. If it's money making, you need to change it. Money making is a self-centered goal.

If you write "I want to write copy so I can make a shit ton of money, hire me now." in your cover letters, you won't get any clients.

Instead, you need to operate from a more useful state of mind. It's a state of abundance. A state where you focus your whole heart on positively impacting the other person's life.

Here's a breakdown of the steps:

1. Honestly assess your current state of mind.
2. Learn some NLP techniques to help you adjust.
3. Apply a technique and see if it works.
4. If it doesn't work, try another one.
5. Keep trying until you allow yourself to focus on others.
6. Now apply to gigs, or speak to clients, or move forward in business.
7. With your newly adjusted focus... make money fast.

The NLP Bottom Line

NLP can influence. It can help you earn money fast. It can't force anyone to do what they don't want.

It can be used on others, but you won't control their mind. It can only help them control their own mind.

So, the real power of NLP lies in your ability to apply the techniques and create useful outcomes for yourself and your clients. Use it to help you change your focus. Use it to see other people as people instead of dollar signs. Use it to change lives.

As soon as your mindset shifts, you'll have all the power in the world to earn money fast.

Lastly...

Even if you don't fully get it, that's okay. If you just try it... just try helping someone, things will change. Even if it feels fake at first, just do it. The more you do it, the more you'll adapt the state of mind. Once you get it...earning is easy.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
You know, the thought crossed my mind.

Actually, I was gonna share on Facebook in response to people crying about the government holding them back, minimum wage being low, CEO's being paid too much, and how the poor common man can't get ahead.

But it felt like the energy would flow better and have more impact, here.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
He's on track to sell the system to those looking for work on odesk.......
Not even "looking for work on odesk".

Just "looking for work".

The problem is that there's some work to do to get that work... and many refuse to do unpaid work to get paid work.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The Four-Hour Workweek Exists!
Hey guys,

This isn't a progress thread, but I wanted to share a little update. I've taken on 2 new clients at $99/hr and started on their projects this week. At first it was no big deal, but after 4 hours something hit me like a ton of bricks.

Earnings.png

I used to work 40 hours for this.

Some will miss the point and assume it's due to copywriting.

I promise you it's not.

It's mindset & process 100%.

Taking action, F*cking it all up, and repeating & modifying until something actually works for a change.

The next time you fail... The next time you don't get the results you want, ask yourself what else you can change.

Then pick yourself up and try again.

Just Do It.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Haha don't get me started on online courses. That's a whole nother realm of passive income people are missing out on.

Costs like $500 to get a 1080p cam, good mic, and lighting. Add a sprinkle of knowledge, a dash of personality and you're in business.

A bit of marketing combined with problem solving and the result is a course that sells.

But you gotta be willing to risk $500. I did.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why not to outsource more orders if you can get more clients?
I know you didn’t ask for advice. I’m sure you know what you’re doing.

To be honest, it's because I wasn't sure where this was going. My first initiative was just building capital for whatever the next business attempt would be. But now, it's growing super fast and I'm trying to figure out which way to go.

Turned down several offers this week. Not even bothering with applications now. Took on a new client this morning. Writing a F*cking commercial... wtf?!?!

Raised rate to $100/hr.

An agency isn't far-fetched anymore.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I think I understand what your saying about not focusing on copy and focusing on whether or not you can solve their problem.

But i'm still applying for a job that I have not worked yet. "I've never worked as a copywriter but I've been training everyday for it". Doesn't appeal to employers. They would just hire one of the dozen other people applying who has worked as one before. How can I possibly know if I can help them, solve their problem, if I've never done the type of job before. I've done a content writing and ebook job so far. But they have nothing to do with copy.

It's similar to "how can I get my first credit card without any credit, and you need good credit to get one".

I see what you're saying, but let me ask you this...

What if you didn't didn't say "I've been training every day for it."

Training is experience.

Or, what if you went to town and wrote copy for local companies for free?

Wouldn't that qualify as experience?

Or, what if you straight up offer to write your client's first gig for free?

Would they say no?

If you want to be an entrepreneur, then you gotta start figuring shit like this out...

As a copywriter you MUST be able to sell stuff that has no proof or history.

What do you think every client you write for wants you to do?

Most of the products you'll write copy for haven't been tested in the market.

If they already had proven results, then they wouldn't need copy to sell...

Ask yourself this...

1. "What specific kind of copywriting gig do I want?"
2. "What specific experience do I need to get that kind of gig?"
3. "What training do I need?"
4. "What's the very next step I must take?"
5. "Why am I still asking questions instead of taking the next step right now?"

Saying clients won't hire you because of your experience is like saying McDonalds won't hire you without experience... Maybe that's the story you tell yourself, but it's not true.

There are 3 answers to your problem in this post.

But, you already knew those answers.

Here are your choices:

1. Take action & keep adjusting til something works
2. Do nothing & make excuses

One leads to money. The other doesn't. It's that simple.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been freelancing on oDesk for over a year and it has worked out pretty good for me. The only thing I'd caution anyone starting out is to really try and set boundaries with clients early. Almost everyone seems to need everything turned around ASAP. For short term clients this is not so much of a problem. But I have a long term client, who has given me lots of steady work, but also makes me feel like I'm constantly 'on call'. Like I've gotten 'URGENT' texted to me several times along with voicemails and emails on a saturday morning.

I think the lesson goes both ways here: for freelancers, set boundaries early on with clients so you are treated as a true independent contractor. For business owners, a freelancer you've never met shouldn't be so integral to your business that not being able to get a hold of them for day is a catastrophe.

If you focus on building mutual relationships, then you won't need to set boundaries.

When you think about it, the whole client/freelancer relationship isn't really what people make it to be. The client isn't the boss. Freelancers aren't employees. There's just two people who may or may not be right for each other on a particular project.

Whether you contact them, or they contact you, if you put all cards on the table from the start, there's no extra expectations later on. I tell them my style, hours, and everything in between. Then I ask questions to find out what they're like and what they need. All of this before accepting an offer.

If I'm not right for them, then it is what it is. They can move on. No hard feelings. Same goes for if they aren't right for me.

If you want to help people, then you have to make sure you can help them. By filtering clients first, you cut your work in half, and you only end up with clients who's problems you can truly solve.

This works especially well when it comes to getting good feedback. With a good relationship from the start, satisfaction is almost guaranteed (even if you don't offer a satisfaction guarantee haha.).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.