The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I didn't know oDesk and it's very interesting! What you think about such a describe of me on my Profile?

"Student of architecture, graphic designer. You propably need a good graphic project, layout or logo to increase your income and strengthen the power of your brand. I can do it. And it will be nice."

Honestly...

I'd hire one of the forum members who's learning copy. Let them write it for you. Especially if you're marketing to English speaking countries.

Doesn't need to be expensive. Maybe PM one of the guys who replied to this thread.

Give them an opportunity to test their skills. Help them grow. They'll help you grow.

Leave each other good feedback. Build working relationships.

Unless you're learning copy, and plan to write in your native language, you may do more harm than good.

Your example lists skills first. Then it tells prospects what they probably need. You need to figure out their deepest desire/need and show how you solve it in your very first sentence. That's how you get their attention.

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
First off, I'd like to thank SinisterLex for this awesome thread he's created. Rep transferred.

Second, I'd like to share a story with you all.

A week ago I applied for a position that stated he wanted a copywriter to edit their company booklet. I told him I would write a page for free (good tip for people without much feedback) and he could decide if he liked my work. He loved my application (power of focusing on you) and instead of doing the booklet, he wanted me to help him design their Website and make it ready for launch.

I talked to the owner on the phone and we discussed that I would write something for free to see if he liked my style and told him I’d have it back within a few days.

After taking a look at the Website, I realized it needed a lot of design work—something I don’t have much experience with. I thought at that point I’m probably not the right fit for them.

Instead of doing nothing, I decided I would write up a report on the things that could help him out the most.

After I sent it, they contacted me and were so appreciative of the advice I gave them that he said, “This is really excellent feedback. I would love to have you involved going forward. In the meanwhile is there some way for me to leave feedback for you?”

I don’t want this to come off as bragging. I want you to realize the power of going above and beyond for people. Trust that you will be rewarded if you always give 100% of everything you’ve got. Even if you can’t work with the client, leave the relationship better than where it started.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just read this yesterday. Why yesterday? Because I wasn't interested in earning $1000 when this thread started (I'm still not).

Anyway, great value added both here and there!

Yea, and what really makes me happy is I don't hear anyone saying crap like "That's not Fastlane!" or "Its violates CENTS/CENTS!"

This is a great thread about taking action, learning about the velocity of money, how to attract it, and how to see the real benefit of giving first, taking second. Forget about money. Focus on value. Gold of Gold. Rep @SinisterLex for the awesomeness.

Last edited:

Phillip Chambers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 23, 2015
To everyone,

This is my thank-you to Sinister Lex for the help. Seriously. When I first came across this thread in March I was really struggling with finding a new income stream – I was literally out of money for rent – and I needed to do something, fast. That same day I created a profile and got a job transcribing a business meeting for $30, a task which only took me 2 hours to do (already ahead of most of my friends hourly wage) and knew if I did just this every day I would have enough money for rent.

Fast-forward to now, and I’m earning well over $750 a week from copywriting alone -– not to mention the side income I’m making from helping people set up their business—and to top it off I get to learn the art of writing while doing it!

If anything I hope this post will inspire people to keep going. Building up your profile can be tough in the beginning, but it’s really not overwhelming especially when you get the hang of it.

Here are some tips which I’ve learned which I hope helps…

1) ALWAYS offer the client 80% of your ability and give them 81% or more. Example, if I know a project will take me roughly 2 days to finish I will tell the client it will take me 3-4 days and I’ll deliver early (this always gets me great reviews and referrals).

2) Be strict about your meeting times, you’ll be surprised by how much this impresses potential clients, especially if they miss a proposed meeting time.

3) In the first meeting with a potential client show immediate enthusiasm and pump up their day. Your objective when first meeting a client is to make them leave feeling better than when they arrived (great tip for life too).

4) When delivering the final project show the client your thought process and the reason behind your choice in wordage. This eliminates a lot of headaches with rewriting, and the client will feel like they got the most out of you.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I dropped freelancing. Although I needed the quick cash , it sucked my time like a $2 whore. I capped out at 3-4k a month and it would be damn near impossible to expect freedom while doing it. I'm surprise MJ let this thread go on for this long. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Ah, yeah, sounds rough.

Sorry it didn't bring you 100% freedom, lambos, & pina coladas while you kick back and watch the money flow in.

I wonder why you weren't an overnight success like all the others here who made millions freelancing...

Guess you just weren't one of the lucky ones.

As for why MJ lets the thread continue...

I dunno, maybe because the thread has nearly a quarter of a million views and it's a top ranked post on Google and helps bring traffic to his forum which people then pay him money for.

Also could be because it's helped a lot of people find ways to earn income to help fuel their Fastlane pursuits.

Hard to say for sure, but I bet it's something like that.

Great job copywriting by the way. Your post struck a nerve strong enough for a response.

"expect freedom"...

lol

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Multiple people have mentioned this needs to be GOLD. So here it is. (I have to admit, I haven't poured through it, been kinda busy.)

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I'd like to make a cautionary note for anyone who wants to get started on oDesk.

You will have to submit your profile for review from the oDesk Trust & Security Team before you can begin working.

It must have:
An overview
Portfolio (preferred)
Completed Tests
Employment History
Education (preferred)

DO NOT submit an incomplete profile. I accidentally submitted my profile on February 26th, before it was complete, in lieu of saving it as a draft...WOOPS! As a result, the oDesk Trust & Security Team flagged it as "incomplete," and my account has been suspended until further review. I completed the profile the following day, and my case has been escalated twice in an effort to get my privileges reinstated A.S.A.P. It has been 14 days without a resolution.

That is half a month of missed opportunities. Do it right the first time, and learn from my mistake! It will save you time and grief.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Maybe you're right. But 5-10 years for having funds to supply you for the next 5-10 years. WOW. Probably, I have a wrong mindset.

What are you talking about 5-10 years?

This was 5 weeks.

At $100/hr a standard 40 hour work week becomes almost $200,000.

Even half of that is $100,000.

If you can't start a business with that, then you definitely have the wrong mindset.

Anyway, the fastlane isn't just about money, it's about freedom.

Since I only have a few thousand in business debt, this amount is more than enough to 100% secure my freedom.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Alright, went back for some more work. It's addictive when you get feedbacks like this.

It isn't as hard as it sounds to be awesome. Most freelancers don't give a shit. Not only about the application, but about the jobs or the clients.
They want to get paid quick then F*ck off.
They view their clients as temporary employers.

But they really are your friends and business partners.
So get them involved, talk shop, make extra suggestions even if it's not your job.

It won't only affect your clients' opinions in a positive way...
It's actually great for you.

You're reading all this marketing and business stuff anyway. You have some insight. Even though not first-hand experience,
it's still much more than the average Internet entrepreneur reads or knows about.

So if you remember something relevant your clients could use, or just see a good ad in the niche on Fb when you're browsing...
let them know. They will appreciate it.

I get feedback like this not because I'm some special snowflake. Hell, sometimes I doubt I'm any good.
But my attitude gets me results.

And unlike a pro level skill, an attitude is easy and quick to develop.

JAEYd0X.png

PS - Yes, it's a $100 job. But it took only around 2 hours since it was a copy review.
And guess who's this guy gonna get to write copy for his next projects?
Or who will he recommend to his friends.

So in the long run, it isn't about $100 and then getting out of there.

It's about your clients' lifetime value.
(and generally, being a cool cat they can trust)

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Hey, everyone. I've been reading and re-reading this thread over the past couple of weeks and applying the principles that @SinisterLex has been writing about to my own Upwork account. When I started two weeks ago, I had an account with a few jobs under my belt. However, I had no feedback, my rate was $10/hr, and when I applied for gigs, I was often turned down within a couple of hours. I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong as my rate was VERY cheap for what I could do and my portfolio was full of amazing work (from jobs outside of Upwork).

Fast forward to yesterday. I have two 5-star reviews and landed a job paying $38/hr for a Doctor in the UK. As a new mother with a 1-month-old son, I cannot thank Lex enough! I am now enjoying the freedom to stay at home and take care of our son instead of dumping him off at daycare to make someone else rich.

It CAN be done! (And my niche is NOT copywriting!)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, @SinisterLex!!!

**Edit** As I was posting this, I received an invitation to interview for a job. NEVER used to happen!

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What is your fast lane strategy here? Getting freelance gigs is a good thing but it's only step 1. You're trading time for money w

You figured out how to sell your services on a simple level. Very nice!

But to use a video game term…I assume you want to keep leveling up?

Solve problems. Get freedom.

That's it.

:)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This the most valuable thread I have found so far. Thank you so much Lex.

This is exactly what I needed, a way to add value to myself and stop the drudgery of building someone else's empire. It will also be a good arena to develop my self-marketing skills, while generating the extra income to fuel my eventual fastlane process. Not quite ready to ditch the old job yet, but I'm taking my spare time to market myself and get a few contracts through Odesk done as a proving ground.

I just finished creating my profile in Odesk. I don't know much abut copyright, but my skills are more intune with 3D modeling and product design.

My Overview looks a little like this, tell me if you think it is "you" focused or if it needs work.

Overview

Have a specific part you need made?
Have a new product or concept you need designed?
Do you need someone to do the entire design process, from concept to finished prototype?

You've come to the right place, my friend!

I offer the above services and can help you get a ready prototype in your hands!

More specifically, what I can do for you:

- Take your concept, ideas and rough sketches and create a 3D model of your product.
- Create a rapid prototype, so you can get something physical and get a feel for it, and make adjustments if you desire.
- Create detailed engineering drawings of your product for manufacturing.
- Make an actual first machined prototype.
- Create CNC code for mass production of a product using CNC machining techniques.

No need to run from one person to the next. I do it all! [/endoverview]

I want to take marketing myself a bit further, as well...

My plan is too create a "you" focused ad template that links to my Odesk Profile, and paste that through craiglist and other classified websites throughout several major cities in Canada and the US. That way it will attract attention to my profile and people can circumvent Odesk if they desire and contact me directly. What I do can mainly be exchanged through dropbox and rapid prototypes/prototypes can be sent via mail. Communication will be paramount with my clients.

I have plans to fuel a fastlane project at some point soon, but I feel like I still have a lot to learn and that I need to have a method of cash flow that will keep things running, while I develop that procedure. This looks like it is the perfect first step.

Hey LightningHelixs,

You're off to a great start!

Great job opening with you-focused questions, and with showing how you'll add value for them!

There's 3 things I can see from a quick read-through that will help you improve instantly.

1. Zero in on your target customer's desire - Your question asks "Have a specific part you need made?" Assuming your customer does need some part made, they're probably searching for someone with specific skills in specific programs.

So I might change this to: "Need something custom designed with CAD?" (assuming you're using CAD). If they're looking for CAD then they instantly know they're in the right place and should keep reading your bio.

2. Read your bio out loud & cut out any words that don't serve a purpose. If it sounds awkward out loud, then it reads awkward too. Every word should carry the reader down through your bio.

3. Put a Call to Action (CTA) at the bottom of your bio - this can be as simple as "Scroll up and click hire now!" or "Contact me now." or "Message me to discover what I can do for you."

Give your reader instructions so they know what step to take next.

Hope that helps! Keep it up! It's one thing to write a great bio as a copywriter, but if you get the basics down in another field, such as design, then you'll run circles around your competition!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
DORMANT JOB POSTINGS:

Lex & FLF crew,

What's a good rule of thumb for the client "last viewed" status on job postings?

Example:

If client hasn't visited or interacted with the posting for 15 days or more, is it a good idea to move on and target "fresher" postings?

Or, am I missing something? Did you apply the "shotgun" method and just hit anything and everything when just starting out?

Cheers Lex!

Your fan (haha)

Mike

I'd stick with those that are less than a week old.

Longer than that and they usually aren't interested in hiring any more.

That's been my experience anyway.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting my first copy gig.

I'll write a fake letter for a sample I could give them.

But they look for experience. When they ask for your experience, I don't have anything to give them of course because I've never worked as one.

Also, if they want a skype interview, that's even worse. They will definitely ask in person what my experience is, I'd have to say I've never worked as one before, trying to get my first job as one.

Besides a "hire me and if you don't like the work, I'll refund you". Any other things you guys have done to get the first job?

Honestly... I could give you all the advice in the world, but right now you're caught up in excuse mode.

The thing is...

If you can't solve their problems then you don't get the gig.

There's no clearer way to put it.

If you lack experience, then spend time training and practicing.

I never said you should lie to a client about having experience.

If you can't clearly show how you can help the client, then you can't... and that means no gig.

So, you either need to train more, or apply to lower paying jobs until you get more experience.

I suggest taking small content writing gigs like blog posts, or writing ebooks.

This is the exact reason I said from the start that this thread isn't about copywriting.

This thread was to show you that if you create value by solving problems, then you can make money.

By the way, your lack of experience isn't actually the problem.

Your mindset is.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
First off, I'd like to thank SinisterLex for this awesome thread he's created. Rep transferred.

Second, I'd like to share a story with you all.

A week ago I applied for a position that stated he wanted a copywriter to edit their company booklet. I told him I would write a page for free (good tip for people without much feedback) and he could decide if he liked my work. He loved my application (power of focusing on you) and instead of doing the booklet, he wanted me to help him design their Website and make it ready for launch.

I talked to the owner on the phone and we discussed that I would write something for free to see if he liked my style and told him I’d have it back within a few days.

After taking a look at the Website, I realized it needed a lot of design work—something I don’t have much experience with. I thought at that point I’m probably not the right fit for them.

Instead of doing nothing, I decided I would write up a report on the things that could help him out the most.

After I sent it, they contacted me and were so appreciative of the advice I gave them that he said, “This is really excellent feedback. I would love to have you involved going forward. In the meanwhile is there some way for me to leave feedback for you?”

I don’t want this to come off as bragging. I want you to realize the power of going above and beyond for people. Trust that you will be rewarded if you always give 100% of everything you’ve got. Even if you can’t work with the client, leave the relationship better than where it started.
Thats excellent my friend. Congrats.
If MJ got a dollar for every time someone on the forum explained that you GET value AFTER you GIVE value.
He'd be a millionaire.
Wait...

LynnT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Dec 26, 2012
Florida
Hey there @SinisterLex thanks for this thread. Sent out 4 proposals. Got 1 official contract on UpWork today.

I really was looking for a way to connect with more clients that were looking for partners for the long-term.

This first contract is for long-term work at a minimum of $1000 per month. Plus the client indicated wanting to do more once we go through the initial phase. (That to me is code word for "let's see some results" which is great because I know I can bring them.)

I can really help this new client. They're excited. I'm excited.

Prior to your thread I just didn't see Upwork/Elance as a viable place to find ideal clients. But it appears as you said there are plenty if you are willing to go the extra mile and really desire to help people.

I did a screen cast video for each proposal I applied to. It took some time but it paid off.

Of course I just started but I will continue to seek out people I can help on that platform.

I'm not new to my area of Wordpress web design and graphic design but I did have zero feedback and no hours on UpWork. I mention that fact to encourage others to get out there in any area that you can help people with and start applying.

I really want to fund some Fastlane opportunities for my business in 2016. This platform (Upwork) will be a great way to help me get there faster and help others build out their Fastlane projects along the way.

Thanks again!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex Congratulations! You're in demand, you provide a great service, and you're able to raise your hourly rate to a level that few people will ever see. I'm sure money chasers will find that titillating, so can you clarify something?

How are you able to charge this premium, and why do people still knock on your door instead of working with someone else at a lower rate? How do you stay at the top of your game, thus distinguishing yourself from other copywriters?

Thanks bud :)

It's a combination of several things, but I'll try to clear it up a bit.

Filters

Clients filter by price, reviews, country, etc. So by the time they finish filtering, they've got a much narrower selection. The more criteria I meet, the higher on the list I rise. By the time they get to me, they've already cut out a lot of noise. Since they were looking for my price range in the first place, it's not a shock when they find it.

Perceived Value

Since it's a copywriting gig, I fill out the entire bio area. I am selling copywriting after all, so it only makes since to write a sales letter. Plus I can backlink to it as a sample of my writing. When they contact me based on my bio then I already know they like my work, so I don't really have to negotiate on price.

The rule of perceived value is that the first price a customer see's is anchored in their mind as the actual worth of that product or service. If they see $50/hr on my profile and I only charge $25/hr later, then it's like they're getting a deal, and not like I'm new. Whatever price they see, is what the copy is worth. But you gotta be able to back it up!

The rest of my profile is filled out too. There's 5 or 10 tests and most are top 10% to 20% rank. Some are even lower than that. There's a few samples of my work. I don't have any education or certifications listed currently.

Social Proof

Once I had 5 star feedback, things got a lot easier. I work hard to build rapport with clients so I actually get more than just 5 stars. They leave great reviews too. This is the real bread and butter, because it shows they were so happy they actually spent time writing out their praise.

Hours billed and the number of gigs also show social proof. Since I have quite a few hours and about 7 jobs in progress it shows that other people are using my services.

Scarcity

My bio mentions multiple times that my time is limited and that I only work with high-value clients. I capitalize on the number of gigs I'm working by making sure anyone who reads my bio knows if they don't act fast they'll miss the opportunity. When they see that others are clearly hiring me, they want in before it's too late!

Money-Back Guarantee

I offer a money-back guarantee on all work. Odesk already offers money-back guarantee on my projects anyway, so I just remind clients that it's available by mentioning it in my bio. Don't ask how you get money-back guarantee status. I have no idea. Maybe because of 5 star feedback.

Hope this helps!

Entrepreneur21

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Aug 6, 2014
Denmark
Freedom of what? OK. My freedom costs 10-15.000.000 bucks. You can't earn this money on odesk.

He's right you have to have a business that is hands off from day one so you avoid doing any work while simultaneously making 100 million a month... otherwise you are just a loser sidewalker...

Lol, it's called process dude, small steps lead to bigger steps.
Keep up the good work Lex

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
I need to get better at applying though, fast.

What does your profile copy look like?

The oDesk rules for writing a profile are a lot like the pirate code:
"More of a guideline really."

They tell you to keep it short and focus on you.

But that's bullshit.

Your profile copy should be so compelling that clients can't resist clicking the "read more" button.

Because if you think about it, how you write your profile copy tells your clients exactly how
you'll write their projects. And if it's flat, boring and uninteresting, how can you expect them to hire you?

Now I'm not saying you have a lame profile, I can't know that. But you should really be seeing
more success if you're working this hard. I can only assume you're being let down by a less than stellar profile.

Also, admitting, "I've never worked as a copywriter but I've been training everyday for it," in your cover letter? Why?!

Your clients are going to hire you to write about products you've never used, that you have very little knowledge of, and
that you may never have heard of. What's more, they expect you to sell the shit out of them!

So why are you afraid to sell yourself?

Don't tell them you're training every day, tell them "I'm a copywriter. And a damn good one too. I speak English, I'm crazy
fast, and I respect your deadlines. I don't cost you money, I make you money."

That's marketing.

Make a strong, bold promise— then over deliver when you fulfill it.

This whole thing is about empathy. Put yourself in your client's shoes. They aren't interested
in the apprentice copywriter. They're looking for the-best-goddamn-copywriter-the-world-has-ever-seen.

So sell them that.

(Oh, and that guy who told you your "competition" just completed an assignment in an hour? Complete tool.)

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Got my first Upwork copy gig today. Created my profile yesterday (yea, web design is running dry, time to learn something new!)

The guy said this:

"First, congratulations and Thank You for showing me your understanding for what my article needs are."

He didn't say "You have the best qualifications!"

He said "Thank You for showing me your understanding for what my article needs are."

Hey guys. This works.

Help people. Serve people. There's money in serving people's needs.

EDIT: My rate is $15/hr now. My goal is $50/hr. My rate for web design was $30/hr. Let's see how far I can take this...

Last edited:

MediocrityNoMore

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
May 20, 2015
UK
I'm still only early in reading this thread, but just wanted to share my 2 major experiences from it already...

Firstly, I'm 3/4 of the way through 'How to win friends and influence people', that is an amazing book!! if you haven't read it stop everything you are doing and grab a copy.

Secondly, after reading the first page, I jumped on over to my freelancer account, and using the advice given by @SinisterLex I applied for a job using a servants attitude, it was all about what I could do for the client, and provided more value by asking questions about other aspects of the PPC campaign they were running and a few tips on how I set things up. The job was pretty low paying, and only covered a small part of a campaign.
I also included my skype id if the client wanted to hit me up and talk about it further.

Within an hour I had a request and we got talking, an hour later I had added his whole PPC campaign to my MCC to take a look at it, I gave suggestions of what could be done to improve it drastically, and pretty much told him how I would go about doing it. The conversation had started with the guy saying he could do with some input, and ended with him asking me to quote to fully manage the campaign.

Their Ad spend is 14K per week! so I quoted at 3k per month to optimise and increase his ROI, in my experience most big ad companies charge around 10% of ad spend, so a quote of $5k per month wouldn't have been unrealistic.

He is going to come back to me when he has talked it over with the company owner later this week, but he seems happy enough with the info I have given him, and very responsive.

It would be great if it bears fruit and I land this customer, if not it doesn't matter, the point is I now have the confidence using the info provided in this amazing thread to go out there and get these jobs. Fantastic post Lex, I know you are gonna do extremely well in the future, thank you!

MediocrityNoMore

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
May 20, 2015
UK
Many people would say you were lucky, but we know that this is the result of process.
I feel lucky :), the company have just signed the contract and paid me $3200 in advance, happy days :)...NEXT!

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
You mean you just joined yesterday and you got work right away from following this thread's advice? Insanely awesome. Also, read The Millionaire Fastlane if you haven't already. It'll give you the "big picture" to your career in whatever you want to do.

I have a question directed to the thread at large:

Should I join in this $1000 mini-revolution? Copywriting/design/whatever isn't really what I want to do in the long term. MJ would call this indentured time that I'm trading away. I'd rather put my time and effort right now into fiction writing and building a publishing company to generate fastlane profits in the long term. I will not be living comfortably for about nine months. I would love to make $1000 a week (that's $1500 NZD, a very comfortable life style in New Zealand), and I have no doubt I can smash that target on upwork or odesk in no time because my writing skills are second to none.

I understand people will automatically say "It's all about what you want to do", but I want to know what you guys know from experience. Has anyone betted on the long term? Did you wish you did some short term work? Or has any one been stuck in short term work and wished they had time to build up long term goals? Would love peoples' insights!

I hate to be a Donald Downer here, but the $1000 a week thing is not easy. I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone in this thread is actually making $1000 a week from Upwork jobs alone (aside from Lex).

If you're going to hit that number, you'll need to devote a lot of time to it. I'm doing it seven days a week and I'm not at a consistent $1000/wk yet. So if you're going to do this, get that number out of your head and think about what you're taking on here. To put it into forum terms, think about the process, not the event.

Because sure, your writing may be second to one (me). But writing's easy.

What's not easy, is consistently finding people who want your help.

Some weeks, Upwork is dry— jobs go up and 34 writers apply within an hour. Other weeks, a client goes AWOL and doesn't review your draft. Other weeks, a client drops the project and decides it's no longer necessary. Other weeks, you just don't feel like writing another f*cking cover letter.

I guess all I'm saying here T, is that if your goal is to build a publishing company, you may want to focus on that. You can definitely supplement your lifestyle by freelancing if you'd like. But to do it right (and make decent money), you need to treat this like a real project. Because your writing won't actually make you any money… your work ethic will.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Just thought I'd share my approach to writing Cover Letters. My response rate went up quite a bit. I had to tell my clients to leave me alone until tomorrow because I was starting to feel a little burned out.

Anyway, here is one application I made recently:

*Could I Be The Writer You're Looking For?*

Hi _____,

Hope you're having a really good day!

Having read your job description, I think I know what you're looking for, and I believe I can deliver.

What you're asking for is called an 'advertorial' in copywriting circles. In Advertorials, you give useful info to customers and then promote a product. Good advertorials work when they give readers VALUABLE and RELEVANT information first and then ask for the sale.

When the info in the piece is RELEVANT and VALUABLE, you establish TRUST with the reader. They start to see you as the 'expert' on all things video. This makes them a lot more likely to buy from you.

Now, it doesn't have to be super in-depth information, just relevant to your readers, and I believe I can provide that.

How?

Two ways.

One is research and communicating with you. The other way is that I have two friends who are into video and graphic design. So they can tell me exactly the kind of things video designers are looking for.

This makes it easy for me to write in their language - and thus deliver content that actually returns your investment.

Attached you will find a piece of writing I did for a client recently. It's similar to what you need, although here I didn't explicitly ask for a 'sale'. In your piece there will be more promotion of the package you're selling. Nevertheless, take a look to get an idea of the style of writing I use. See if you like it.

If you think I have what it takes to write what you need - contact me now and let's work together!

Regards,

Adrian

P.S. If you want to chat in real-time, add me on Skype: __________

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because ever since switching from a "Hard-Sell" to "Informing/Soft-Sell" - everything improved. For one month I tried to sound like a dick-pill-peddling copywriter, and I didn't make a single penny. When I stopped treating my clients like 'customers' and started treating them like 'people' - I started landing gigs somewhat regularly.

I don't have enough reference points to say that my way is "the right one." But I hope this encourages some of the people just getting started.

My cover letter is not copywriting wizardry. It's actually heavily flawed.

But this 'flawed' yet 'genuinely helpful' style has been pretty effective for me.

You don't need to be perfect. You just need to tell them how you will help them.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Is it possible to do this with very little direct experience in copywriting? I've read a few copywriting books (including cashvertising) and also have 2 years experience in online marketing (failing to make money, although that won't be mentioned) and a degree in a semi-related field. If I take the approach outlined in the first post, how likely am I to succeed in the sea of other competing freelancers?

Would love to do this full time while working on a fastlane biz.

Is it possible for you to do this with very little direct experience in copywriting? I dunno.

Is it possible? Clearly.

How likely are you to succeed over others?

Less likely than the guys submitting applications right now.

I took a senior exec at Coca-Cola as a client last night.

Didn't have any copywriting experience when I started.

The difference between you starting out and me starting out?

I didn't ask about my chances of success. I took action and commanded it.

There's a lot of copywriters out there. There's more clients.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Upwork has changed a lot since I started this thread. If you start today there's new stuff to consider.

Do the same methods still apply?
Is it harder to get work?
Should I still focus on others?
How important is 5-star feedback?
How do I set myself apart?
Should I write copy?
If not, what should I do?

The landscape is definitely shifting, so I thought I'd share some updates you may find useful.

Important Upwork Updates
• Star rating is gone for freelancers.
• Job Success is now the end-all-be-all rating system for freelancers
• Clients are still on the star rating system

These are the most noticeable changes outside of minor system changes like instant messaging.

So, how are you affected?

There's a lot of debate on the star rating and whether the new system is better or worse. Personally I don't like the move away from star rating as job success is calculated based on factors that freelancers can only partially know. There's a real problem with transparency and it makes it difficult for freelancers to maintain a 100% job success score in the long-run.

Another problem is that job success calculations consider information that isn't really relevant to the client. For instance how many long-term clients a freelancer has. That means you can have a less than perfect job success rating even if you have perfect 5-Star feedback. Kind of a rip off for those who aren't interested in long-term work.

That said, the new system actually benefits new freelancers since you start with a 100% rating. That automatically puts you above established freelancers with 90% or below. While you still show up further down the search results, clients give you more consideration especially when you have a few hours billed.

The job success rating is calculated on factors such as how long you've been with a client, their public & private rating of the job you did, how complete your profile is, how many hours you've billed in a certain period of time, how fast you respond etc.

How do you get a better job success score?

The best advice I can share is to read the links below:

My Job Success Score

Become a Top Rated Freelancer

Follow the job success advice as much as possible. Control what you can control.

Strive to become a Top Rated Freelancer because that means your job success is above 90%. I think moving forward, Top Rated freelancers have a distinct advantage over everyone else. As a client I'm much more likely to look at a profile that says Top Rated with 90% job success over someone who only has 80%.

Also if you screw up and get less than perfect feedback be sure to message the client and offer his money back. Mention how important it is that you offer 5-Star service and you're happy to modify your work or return his pay. This is usually enough to get them to adjust their rating and love you for life.

Do the methods I used still work? Should you still use YOU focused applications?

The answer is both yes, and yes, and I'd say showing how you solve problems is more important now than ever. Simply put if your score is less than 90% and you can't show instantly how useful you are for them, then you won't get picked.

Keep working to be the best you can be. Reach for something better than good, because you've gotta be awesome. Moving forward more and more large companies will use freelancers & online employees. There's gonna be more opportunity, but also more competition. That means you've gotta be damn good and be able to prove it.

Which brings us to the next question:

Should I write copy? If not, what should I do?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This thread wasn't meant to get you to write copy, and when you properly apply the core principles it doesn't matter which field you freelance in as long as you can help the other person.

Sometimes I ask troubled forum members - what's your passion?

It's not because your passion is fastlane. Chances are it's not. It's because when you're passionate about something you're probably skillful / knowledgeable in that area. So if that passion is someone else's need, then it's a great place to focus your freelance efforts since you can actually solve client problems.

This is how you get gigs.

If for some reason you're hell-bent on writing copy...

Then the next most important thing is to study and practice copywriting night and day. Make up fake ads, sales letters, video scripts etc. and add them to your real portfolio. Write free copy for those who need it, and start with low-paying, low-expectation gigs. Do anything you can to gain experience.

Something that really helped me improve is reading the finished material out loud. The goal is to make the writing sound how it does when spoken. This is a big part of how I got good fast.

Today I take it a step further. Instead of just speaking my own copy I also read copy from popular websites and watch popular YouTube personalities. Then I implement their voice's & styles into my writing. This expands my ability to tailor my voice to individual client needs. (Another way of solving problems)

But beyond that there's one more thing that virtually guarantees I get the job & have success.

I niche down and you should too.

I know exactly who looks at my profile. I know what kind of clients contact me time and time again. So if I'm gonna apply to a gig, I start by searching for specific gigs from the get-go.

For instance if my niche was Veterinarians I'd search for that specific word in Upwork, because I already know I can deliver exactly what they want. And I know exactly what they want because it's usually the same as what the last Veterinarian wanted.

If you don't have prior clients, then this is where passion comes into play. Look to fields you know a lot about. Sports, finance, real-estate, ebay, Amazon, pet-sitting, porn, student loans.

EVERY industry & business needs copy, and if you already know the lingo for that industry you're ahead of the pack. Just search for key words such as "finance copywriter" or "finance blog" etc.

The reason you've gotta search is because these clients may not know they need a copywriter. Maybe they're just looking for a content writer or someone to manager their social media posts. Either way these are all easy gigs, and easy to get when you're familiar with the field.

By the way, while you're doing that you might as well hop over to your local Craigslist ads and see what local businesses you can call or email and offer services to. If you look carefully you'll find many businesses and direct contact info that helps you get clients outside of Upwork. Food for thought.

Conclusion

When push comes to shove you have to get better. You have to adapt and think differently, and above all you have to solve problems. Nobody said it was easy and the fact you're reading this tells me you're ready to fight for your freedom. If you want it bad enough you'll make it happen.

Just do it.

Last edited:

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Bump cause this is still one of the best threads on this forum. At least this is the one that changed my life.
No hype.

Coming from a country where people make $300 per MONTH working full time (my ma and pa included) I can now
charge $100 for an hour of my time, and clients actually pay for it.

Better yet, it's a good deal for them cause they'll make much more.

But let's rewind a couple months, almost a year.

Here's lil Davie talking shit on the Interwebs and demanding things from strangers who share a lot of their good stuff for free.

7Bwh5d1.png

Take a look at the date and the participants.

Let's do a one-question fastlaner quiz real quick... Who knows what I was missing?
That's right, the F*cking attitude.

Now, back to the future.

I'm still not doing this full-time, and I'm not some big swinging marketing dick, but it puts me in a
pretty damned comfortable position.

I've got time and money to learn new stuff, satisfy clients, experiment with new ventures and
I don't have to do what I don't want to.

Better yet, I can help my family and close friends get lower tier, $15-$20/hr gigs.
(which is still like 10x what they'd normally make)

Now, this isn't easy.

And I don't want to go all hero's journey on your a$$ but I did struggle
and I still do.

But it's so worth it...

Keep grinding and while you're at it,
take a couple of good folks with you.

I really love my life right now.

And it all started with finding this thread.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
Just wanted to quickly tell you about my experience...
Have used oDesk for hiring people before, with very mixed results - But at least I learnt how rotten most applications are. Skimmed through jobs now and then to look for stuff that I could do as freelancer, but got disheartened pretty soon. Even though I know that most applications are usually generic and no real competition, I felt that my chances of getting hired were slim. I'm not a native English speaker either, so don't even have that bonus.

However, after reading Sinister's post, I gave it another try. Result? 3 Applications, 1 job, $160 paid, all within a week.
May not be much, but it certainly shows it's possible to hustle up some money.

That money could pay for... the first few months of hosting & lead pages to get that landing page going... outsourcing something you can't do yourself... getting some books to educate yourself... anything that helps achieving your goal.

So, thanks, @SinisterLex . Well done.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have 1 question. Why many smart people go to odesk, freelancer, fiverr and etc to work for other guys? I don't say it's bad, i just always think it's better working for myself. Maybe it's a reason why I'm not a fastlaner yet.lol

What do you consider working for yourself?

I'm sitting at home in my PJ's Skype chatting with CEOs of multi-million dollar companies.

Not only that, but they're coming to me for help, not the other way around.

On that note, do you think money is the only opportunity here?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.