The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let go of perfectionism.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
I remember Steve Palina, some dodgy self help guru, said something like: go for it make a rubbish website about salt, just do it, you'll learn a lot and you'll stop blocking yourself.

So that's what I did today. I made a landing page and got it hooked up with a mailer client. Then made a fake product and made an email template with a link to the ebook on a secret page of my site.

I thought I would never be able to do these simple things. But it was just a matter of looking at a few videos, installing some plug ins...

Feels good :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
201634d1396327502-few-shots-import-alliance-do-eet-72431463791.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Dodgy self-help guru"

An astonishingly accurate description of Steve Pavlina

Curious, what makes him dodgy? I don't know anything about him other than he ran a pretty big forum in yesteryear.

Forodstar

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 2, 2014
Curious, what makes him dodgy? I don't know anything about him other than he ran a pretty big forum in yesteryear.

Hey MJ (I loved the book man, my copy is battered and worn with the notes in it!)

Well, he's a pretty wacky and seems to have an opinion on everything. From relationships, to money, to life purpose. He must of made a fortune from affiliate linking all the self-development stuff. Some of the stuff he writes is fairly legit, some of it less so, a fair degree of fluff too.

This post I used to find inspiring and is borderline fastlane.
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

His writing does not appeal to me these days. I much more focused on learning about execution than endlessly expanding my mind.

Would be interested to know if any of you folks would stand by my dodgy comment or have different impressions?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
He did run a pretty big forum, and for someone who preaches about self-expressing, he was quite content with banning anyone who disagreed with him.

That said, I've read and taking a liking to many of his posts. For example:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

Hey MJ (I loved the book man, my copy is battered and worn with the notes in it!)

Well, he's a pretty wacky and seems to have an opinion on everything.
But then again, anyone's who's worth listening to is at least a little bit wacky.

Phenom

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 7, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Not too familiar with Steve Pavlina but I did read the content of the link you mentioned. It's pretty in line with "fastlane philosophy". Actually pretty good read. Thanks for the link btw.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Who cares if he's dodgy.

If his material is useful, then use it.

I

insideusisgod

Love the title.

Perfectionism is failures, faults, problems and setbacks. That's after all the world we live in and for the world is perfection in essense than so must be its laws, that of which includes the necessity to take action and to be in motion, always; that is, perfection to act and eventually attract a goal or desire.

Understanding that the animals, plants and insects - nature - does not struggle to attain its purpose or goal, and as humans because wealth is a part of our purpose, it should not be a struggle of contemplation or confusion, but rather to act instinctively (intuitively) and to hold on to faith.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
I believe perfectionism is incredibly bad. I'm working on overcoming the urge to be perfect. Here is a good story I once heard...

A high school ceramics class was divided into two halves.
One half was graded based on the quality of their work, but they could only create one single piece all semester. The better quality, the better grade they were given.
The other half was graded on the weight of their work, and they had to make as many pieces as possible. The more combined weight, the better grade they were given.
At the end of the semester, the half that was graded based on weight has the best quality pieces of the class.
They theory was starting and failing so many times over and over again taught them what to do and what not to do, instead of guessing what to do and what not to do.

I

insideusisgod

I believe perfectionism is incredibly bad. I'm working on overcoming the urge to be perfect. Here is a good story I once heard...

One half was graded based on the quality of their work, but they could only create one single piece all semester. The better quality, the better grade they were given.
The other half was graded on the weight of their work, and they had to make as many pieces as possible. The more combined weight, the better grade they were given.
At the end of the semester, the half that was graded based on weight has the best quality pieces of the class.
They theory was starting and failing so many times over and over again taught them what to do and what not to do, instead of guessing what to do and what not to do.
What a great story!

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014

This is actually a very good story. It reflects my experience. Get things done, ship the product, learn, repeat. It's the best way to get good.

SunnyN

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 2, 2014

I like this, it shows that practically doing it is more important than trying to avoid mistakes.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014

Great example, Wade.

I struggle with that a lot too. Sometimes I put off doing things altogether because in my mind, the plan isn't "perfect" enough.

Truth is, it probably never will be. Just gotta take action and figure it out along the way.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Funny how you phrased it as some dodgy self help guru like it was a negative thing...

but it was the only advice that got you motivated to actually do anything AND it was the only advice that was gonna work for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.