The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Landing Pages - Single Page from landing page builder or seperate page on website?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
I've got a potential client that wants me to improve his Google Ads performance. He is in the construction industry.

His website isn't terrible, but dedicated landing pages would most likely improve conversions.
I'm thinking of using a page builder and just having a single page to direct traffic to as i know that having people go to the main website can be confusing for the visitor.

But, then I remembered something about the time when I last hired a building company.

When I landed on their site, I actually navigated to their 'Portfolio' pages, read a little about them and then decided to reach out for a quote after a bit of consideration.

So my questions are:

1)Would just having a single page put people off from getting a quote if they cant see the rest of the website?

2) When building a landing page, is it important to have the same domain name or does that not matter at all?

Anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Really good question.

We've a lot of clients where we just have a simple landing page. We also link to Disclaimer, Privacy, and Terms pages in the footer.

These pages are often enough to get them going, and for some industries I suspect a full-blown website won't make any difference (think emergency and low-ticket services such as washing machine repairs).

For other projects we think we need the simple landing page to have more content on them, and also think we should had menu links at the top to make it look more like a "normal" website.

When a client already has a website we often send Google Ads visitors to their site and let the data tell us if we should test a dedicated landing page. If we do create a dedicated page for a client then we often create it on a subdomain. Bear in mind that this subdomain will show up in the ad. We often use subdomain "contact", so it would show up as contact.bobtheblacksmith.com in the ads.

I paid for Unbounce for a couple of months to see what it was like and if it could speed up our landing page creation. It doesn't do all the things we want it to do so we continue to build landing pages by hand. But to give you an idea of where we're going - I ended up cancelling Unbounce and going with Wix instead.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Really good question.

We've a lot of clients where we just have a simple landing page. We also link to Disclaimer, Privacy, and Terms pages in the footer.

These pages are often enough to get them going, and for some industries I suspect a full-blown website won't make any difference (think emergency and low-ticket services such as washing machine repairs).

For other projects we think we need the simple landing page to have more content on them, and also think we should had menu links at the top to make it look more like a "normal" website.

When a client already has a website we often send Google Ads visitors to their site and let the data tell us if we should test a dedicated landing page. If we do create a dedicated page for a client then we often create it on a subdomain. Bear in mind that this subdomain will show up in the ad. We often use subdomain "contact", so it would show up as contact.bobtheblacksmith.com in the ads.

I paid for Unbounce for a couple of months to see what it was like and if it could speed up our landing page creation. It doesn't do all the things we want it to do so we continue to build landing pages by hand. But to give you an idea of where we're going - I ended up cancelling Unbounce and going with Wix instead.
Thanks for the reply Andy, so with the subdomain, is this something that the client would need to set up as they own the original domain? From what i can gather this potential client isn't very good with tech.

I've used Unbounce before and it was okay, but i'm thinking similar things to you where i feel it would look better and more professional built out on web platform. I'm either thinking wordpress with elementor or Duda as it is specifically designed for agencies to build fast websites.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the reply Andy, so with the subdomain, is this something that the client would need to set up as they own the original domain? From what i can gather this potential client isn't very good with tech.

I've used Unbounce before and it was okay, but i'm thinking similar things to you where i feel it would look better and more professional built out on web platform. I'm either thinking wordpress with elementor or Duda as it is specifically designed for agencies to build fast websites.
Yeah, it can be hard work getting the client to set up the a-record or whatever it is.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Yeah, it can be hard work getting the client to set up the a-record or whatever it is.
Yeah i thought as much.
I wonder if it's worth just buying a similar domain name so you can leave the client out of all of that side?
I feel like sometimes if you make things too complicated it can put people off and make them want to scrap the whole thing.
For 10 quid i can have a similar domain for a year (less than a pound a month) and most people won't notice/or care if it's slightly different if you get the logo on there and everything looks consistent with their other site.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I would suggest you do everything.

Offer the whole solution and get it all done yourself. They will be happier.

Use an appropriate analogy.

You want an extension built. You have approached them. They have the solution. They aren't going to ask you to dig the hole. They are going to do everything from foundation to rooftop.

Because if you have a problem you don't want to phone them and they blame the hole.

Dan

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I've got a potential client that wants me to improve his Google Ads performance. He is in the construction industry.

His website isn't terrible, but dedicated landing pages would most likely improve conversions.
I'm thinking of using a page builder and just having a single page to direct traffic to as i know that having people go to the main website can be confusing for the visitor.

But, then I remembered something about the time when I last hired a building company.

When I landed on their site, I actually navigated to their 'Portfolio' pages, read a little about them and then decided to reach out for a quote after a bit of consideration.

So my questions are:

1)Would just having a single page put people off from getting a quote if they cant see the rest of the website?

2) When building a landing page, is it important to have the same domain name or does that not matter at all?

Anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks!

1) No one will be able to tell you, you have to test it. But like @Andy Black already mentioned it depends a lot on the niche. That being said I would not advise you at all to create a single isolated landing page for a construction business.
If you feel like their current site is not optimal create a dedicated landing page on the same domain, that summarizes all of their important content but still links out to the respective pages for the people that need more info (which will be almost anybody in the construction business ).
For example, on your landing page, you will showcase the 3 most important projects but still link out to pages with more info about all projects.

2) There is no reason not to use the same domain, just create a landing page that is not in the primary navigation of the normal website. That way nobody besides google ads visitors will see it ever. You could get a single site license for thrive architect, if you dont know how to code.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Really good question.

Wix is really the lowest of the lowest I feel. Why do you choose Wix over something like thrive architect?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wix is really the lowest of the lowest I feel. Why do you choose Wix over something like thrive architect?
I love Wix. I can knock up sites so fast and run tests. Chat is automatically setup to go to the Wix app on my phone. When someone visits a site I get a notification on my phone immediately. This is all pretty much out of the box. Wix powers 160 million websites (according to their blurb), and it costs a wee bit each month for each live website. Wix has its own eco-system and hundreds of thousands of searches a month. I also love that most techies don’t love it (including my own techie). Haha.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I love Wix. I can knock up sites so fast and run tests. Chat is automatically setup to go to the Wix app on my phone. It powers 160 million websites (according to their blurb), and it costs a wee bit each month for each live website. It has its own eco-system and hundreds of thousands of searches a month. I also love that most web techies don’t love it. Haha.

I mean I guess its sufficient for a local service landing page. Anything more than that idk, I mean you dont even own your site.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Thanks for all the feedback.

Ive created the landing pages (it's more like a new site to be honest) and I've been running ads for a week or so with a very small budget of £20 pounds a day.

I've got a couple thousand impressions and 80 clicks and spend just over 100 pounds, but no conversions yet, is 80 clicks enough data to confirm any assumptions?

I'd love to make this work for this client, but he is in a competitive niche with very little marketing materials, no reviews, prices, product info etc.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Thanks for all the feedback.

Ive created the landing pages (it's more like a new site to be honest) and I've been running ads for a week or so with a very small budget of £20 pounds a day.

I've got a couple thousand impressions and 80 clicks and spend just over 100 pounds, but no conversions yet, is 80 clicks enough data to confirm any assumptions?

I'd love to make this work for this client, but he is in a competitive niche with very little marketing materials, no reviews, prices, product info etc.

drop a link and I 'll review the page

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Have you hotjar, crazy egg, or luck orange on the site? Can you see what people are doing?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Have you hotjar, crazy egg, or luck orange on the site? Can you see what people are doing?

This was going to be my next action, but wasn't sure if i was being too impatient and not getting enough data. Which would you recommend?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This was going to be my next action, but wasn't sure if i was being too impatient and not getting enough data. Which would you recommend?
Clients use them. I personally don’t log into them. Start with a free plan and see how you go?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Clients use them. I personally don’t log into them. Start with a free plan and see how you go?

Okay will do. At least it will provide evidence on my assumptions that I can present to the client which are :
People interested in his product want to know about prices, styles etc which he doesn't currently have.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
I took a look and Ill manly focus on overall conversion aspects. Of course, there is a lot of stuff that can be improved design-wise but for now, your client has higher-level problems:
  • You have present no value proposition at all
  • There is zero product info besides the headline
  • You dont explain the benefits of buying your product nor the features. Ideally, you want to translate the features of a product/service into benefits: read this article on the topic.
  • The logo is not recognizable
  • You have some good high-res photos but some are horrible quality which destroys the high quality feel that you are shooting for
  • I have no clue what the prices are and you cant guess by the product. It could be hundreds or thousands, I wouldn't now.
  • Let's say despite these points Im still interested in buying this product. Not necessarily from you tho yet. Im still just searching around. You give a visitor 100 incentives to chose this company. What are the USPs? Is your product of higher quality? Faster Installation? Some unique technology? Fastest manufacturing time in the industry?
Dont take this as an offense, I know its hard to build a converting site when clients dont have any marketing material, especially in a high-ticket niche like yours.
I doubt that you´ll get many leads from cold traffic like this, but test it anyways.

I highly recommend you to join the Facebook group "Conversion Optimization Junkies".
Also, watch this video by @Fox

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
I took a look and Ill manly focus on overall conversion aspects. Of course, there is a lot of stuff that can be improved design-wise but for now, your client has higher-level problems:
  • You have present no value proposition at all
  • There is zero product info besides the headline
  • You dont explain the benefits of buying your product nor the features. Ideally, you want to translate the features of a product/service into benefits: read this article on the topic.
  • The logo is not recognizable
  • You have some good high-res photos but some are horrible quality which destroys the high quality feel that you are shooting for
  • I have no clue what the prices are and you cant guess by the product. It could be hundreds or thousands, I wouldn't now.
  • Let's say despite these points Im still interested in buying this product. Not necessarily from you tho yet. Im still just searching around. You give a visitor 100 incentives to chose this company. What are the USPs? Is your product of higher quality? Faster Installation? Some unique technology? Fastest manufacturing time in the industry?
Dont take this as an offense, I know its hard to build a converting site when clients dont have any marketing material, especially in a high-ticket niche like yours.
I doubt that you´ll get many leads from cold traffic like this, but test it anyways.

I highly recommend you to join the Facebook group "Conversion Optimization Junkies".
Also, watch this video by @Fox

Thanks for the feedback Menery,
This is stuff I already know though, I've explained what you mention to the client before, but I guess I can back up my theory with evidence once i present him with this data.

The client literally gave me his logo, some pictures and told me what his company did Thats it.

I've asked him for prices, catalogues, products, styles - SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
But he says he doesn't have anything because it's new and everything is made to order.

I think I might have to tell him that unless we can invest in getting proper marketing materials, he is going to fall very short of the bar that his competition has set and likely won't get many conversions.

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
Thanks for the feedback Menery,
This is stuff I already know though, I've explained what you mention to the client before, but I guess I can back up my theory with evidence once i present him with this data.

The client literally gave me his logo, some pictures and told me what his company did Thats it.

I've asked him for prices, catalogues, products, styles - SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
But he says he doesn't have anything because it's new and everything is made to order.

I think I might have to tell him that unless we can invest in getting proper marketing materials, he is going to fall very short of the bar that his competition has set and likely won't get many conversions.
Is this an established business?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Is this an established business?

I'm not sure to be honest,It's bit of a weird set up.
He's got three businesses, Originally I was supposed to be working on his main business which is loft conversions/construction etc.

But just before i due to start, he said to me to work on this, if i can get him results, he will give me work on his other businesses.

But i think most people who don't know about PPC or digital marketing in general think you can work miracles. They don't understand it's a process and you have to keep tending to it, caring for it and adding fertiliser, just like a garden.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
UPDATE: Just got two quote forms filled out!

Cost per lead is still relatively high at £68.00 each and his impression share is extremely limited by his budget, but it's a start and it's those tiny boosts of feedback that make it all worth it.

Fid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 26, 2017
Wroclaw, Poland
I've got a potential client that wants me to improve his Google Ads performance.
How do we understand performance here? The number of leads generated? ROI/ROAS?

1)Would just having a single page put people off from getting a quote if they can't see the rest of the website?
I have a client who is an interior designer. A single page does just fine. We've only recently added another page with her portfolio, circa 30% of people visit that, can't say if it helps yet.
A few exemplary images in the Services section seem to work just fine.

What I've learned from @Andy Black is to first get the right people to the site.
Then make sure they feel they are in the right place and make it easy to contact/buy.

Mind sharing the link?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
How do we understand performance here? The number of leads generated? ROI/ROAS?

I have a client who is an interior designer. A single page does just fine. We've only recently added another page with her portfolio, circa 30% of people visit that, can't say if it helps yet.
A few exemplary images in the Services section seem to work just fine.

What I've learned from @Andy Black is to first get the right people to the site.
Then make sure they feel they are in the right place and make it easy to contact/buy.

Mind sharing the link?
He was running ads himself just using smart campaigns and getting no results.
What I've learnt about automated campaigns is they need a lot of good quality data and some time to work well, so I start with manual CPC and slowly adjust budget untill we can get some baseline of what is happening and some conversion data for Google to work from.

In terms of a single page, I think it depends on the niche and product. For his industry, it's very competitive with big sharks in it who have very big and detailed websitse with a lot of marketing materials. A single page wouldn't have worked in my opinion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.