The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to market a landing page for a product that is not yet built?

Marketing, social media, advertising

tigerbalm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 23, 2018
Colorado
Hey y'all. Was hoping to get some insight on how one might market a saas application that has not yet been built - perhaps via a landing page as a first stab at market validation.

For some context - I am trying to take small and iterative steps towards validating and then building a saas application. I have ~somewhat~ validated the idea through speaking with other software engineers who have encountered similar issues as would be solved by the product, and it is a problem that I myself have encountered on the job.

With the goal of small iterative steps, I'd like to build some kind of landing page that collects emails for potential leads, but outside of that I am unclear on how to market an application that I have not yet built. Curious if anyone has been down this road and could offer their insights as to how they approached this. My primary questions are:

1. What would you put on a landing page / how much information would you convey?

I saw a user here, I don't recall who it was, mention people making the mistake of putting too much information on a landing page, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to briefly outline the selling points with a "Get notified" portion for users to submit their emails. As in a couple sentences for each.

2. How would I actually get traffic to the landing page for validation of this idea?

If you cannot tell, I am very much an engineer and not a marketer, so just hoping to get some direction on where to go for this stage of the saas. I have considered growing an audience through a blog and traditional SEO, running targeted user ads, and cold approaching people at conferences and meetups. I have ideas about how I will market the actual product once built, but I don't want to put too much time into the building of the product if it is not validated, and the actual validation phase is what I'm unclear on. I am trying very hard to show some restraint from going down the path of just building without additional verification.

Any input for the early stages of this type of product are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey y'all. Was hoping to get some insight on how one might market a saas application that has not yet been built - perhaps via a landing page as a first stab at market validation.

For some context - I am trying to take small and iterative steps towards validating and then building a saas application. I have ~somewhat~ validated the idea through speaking with other software engineers who have encountered similar issues as would be solved by the product, and it is a problem that I myself have encountered on the job.

With the goal of small iterative steps, I'd like to build some kind of landing page that collects emails for potential leads, but outside of that I am unclear on how to market an application that I have not yet built. Curious if anyone has been down this road and could offer their insights as to how they approached this. My primary questions are:

1. What would you put on a landing page / how much information would you convey?

I saw a user here, I don't recall who it was, mention people making the mistake of putting too much information on a landing page, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to briefly outline the selling points with a "Get notified" portion for users to submit their emails. As in a couple sentences for each.

2. How would I actually get traffic to the landing page for validation of this idea?

If you cannot tell, I am very much an engineer and not a marketer, so just hoping to get some direction on where to go for this stage of the saas. I have considered growing an audience through a blog and traditional SEO, running targeted user ads, and cold approaching people at conferences and meetups. I have ideas about how I will market the actual product once built, but I don't want to put too much time into the building of the product if it is not validated, and the actual validation phase is what I'm unclear on. I am trying very hard to show some restraint from going down the path of just building without additional verification.

Thanks!
Why a landing page where you collect emails? Why not get into conversation on social media platforms and take it to Zoom?

This should start from 6:05 in:

View: https://youtu.be/Hy1shfNiy1k?si=GrqccOs3wXSa7W-E&t=365

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Check out The Right It book. It's what you are looking for (I was looking for it too).

"I am much of an engineer, and not a marketer".

Forget it. You are now a problem-solver. You have a problem - to test, and then solve it. Sorry, but just engineering won't cut it.

jegor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 23, 2023
Hey tigerbalm, nice to meet you.

Building a simple landing page might be a good idea. Register your domain, design and build a landing page, add a simple description of the solution that you propose. Add an email form, and any tracking. It shouldn't be much work, a solid week or two. This will already be working for your SEO.

From there you could indeed use social media to engage with people, and see how many of those interactions will actually lead to sign up for the newsletter. This will give you the metrics you looking for. Set yourself a reasonable target and once reached start building your product.

Consider consulting with any AI on how to schedule and promote your idea through social media. This will be of a great benefit. Otherwise, good luck with your endeavor

tigerbalm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 23, 2018
Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions y'all! Love the idea of taking this to social media to interact, I am currently a non-user so getting my chops on that front sounds like a good investment of time.

I will check out The Right It book, as well, appreciate the suggestion @MRiabov.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
Thanks for the suggestions y'all! Love the idea of taking this to social media to interact, I am currently a non-user so getting my chops on that front sounds like a good investment of time.

I will check out The Right It book, as well, appreciate the suggestion @MRiabov.
You can start interacting with your target audience via social media, making some content around the problem you are trying to solve and with the audience you gather you can test the product market fit and use the same audience for potential clients

Lou7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 10, 2023

Thanks!
1. State the problem clearly. Give possible solutions. Even if it's in the format of a content. You can give a free PDF and track downloads/clicks. Mine is not the best but here an example: Página de vendas

You can also do this buy literally asking.Post on your linkedin: "Do you have problem X and would be interested in a solution in a SaaS format?". Also, you can search if someone has already thinked about this before.

2. Google Ads. Linkedin as well

I'm using google ads with a limited budget to see if there's demand for Customer Success content and the CTR is 6% just a couple of days. @MaximOntheRoad in is helping me with that

Also, think about an MVP. Like, really MVP. Like Zazos did when trying to sell shoe online. They ddn't buy inventory and sold on demand. Also, you could create a basic future and try to visit customer with it. Maybe offer it for free

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.