The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

What kind of jobs should i bee looking for i need to find a job now

• should i look for front end jobs

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • should i look for back end jobs

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm not sure where you are located, but if you're in America

I think Shelton's in NYC, so there should be plenty of government services, temp agencies, non-profits and churches he could readily get to with transit. What a great post with very specific advice on where he could turn for some up to date job guidance in person.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Really like a lot of these super-helpful suggestions for @shelton. My two cents worth:

Follow what these very experienced people are telling you.

You have won two lotteries (1) You live in the western world (2) you have an internet connection - there is literally a world library at your fingertips for hardly any money at all (i.e. the price of an internet connection) and although it may not seem it you have one additional win (3) you live in NYC. There are tonnes of resources for free that you could utilise. Meet Ups are 10 a penny in big cities - find ones that interest you and is aligned to your goal (interview skills/meeting people who may well run their own business and therefore can give you a job). I must be the only weirdo who still uses her local library but look on any notice board there - see what free help they organise for young people looking for help in the employment market. Honestly, at this stage you really have no excuse. I get it: it's rough being rejected constantly but you have to suck it up and play the long game. Set action points every day to reach your goal and then hold yourself accountable. Report back every day on this thread if need be so you are accountable to us - your cheerleaders :). There is a lot of expertise on this Forum that you have access to for free - think of those positives!

If the military is not your thing - ignore that; only you know if you can stand being shouted at. I know I can't and my reflex would be to tell the commander to ''go away'' but in less than lady-like terms!

Best of luck Shelton - I hope to hear good news from you very soon :)

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
This is what I have so far I'm still thinking about what you said but I think it will take a while to find something new to say. I could try adding some stories but that would make this resume too long. I think I just need to answer the interview questions a lot better.
This is what I have so far I'm still thinking about what you said but I think it will take a while to find something new to say. I could try adding some stories but that would make this resume too long. I think I just need to answer the interview questions a lot better.
I'm guessing you didn't get the resume I posted so here. All I really need is a paragraph that can set me apart
Really like a lot of these super-helpful suggestions for @shelton. My two cents worth:

Follow what these very experienced people are telling you.

You have won two lotteries (1) You live in the western world (2) you have an internet connection - there is literally a world library at your fingertips for hardly any money at all (i.e. the price of an internet connection) and although it may not seem it you have one additional win (3) you live in NYC. There are tonnes of resources for free that you could utilise. Meet Ups are 10 a penny in big cities - find ones that interest you and is aligned to your goal (interview skills/meeting people who may well run their own business and therefore can give you a job). I must be the only weirdo who still uses her local library but look on any notice board there - see what free help they organise for young people looking for help in the employment market. Honestly, at this stage you really have no excuse. I get it: it's rough being rejected constantly but you have to suck it up and play the long game. Set action points every day to reach your goal and then hold yourself accountable. Report back every day on this thread if need be so you are accountable to us - your cheerleaders :). There is a lot of expertise on this Forum that you have access to for free - think of those positives!

If the military is not your thing - ignore that; only you know if you can stand being shouted at. I know I can't and my reflex would be to tell the commander to ''go away'' but in less than lady-like terms!

Best of luck Shelton - I hope to hear good news from you very soon :)
I decided to try applying to staples again even though i had no luck last time. I keep trying to find the right words to say but I cant seem to find the right ones so I decided to throw in moments of customer service or sales experience from my last jobs in.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I'm guessing you didn't get the resume I posted so here. All I really need is a paragraph that can set me apart

I decided to try applying to staples again even though i had no luck last time. I keep trying to find the right words to say but I cant seem to find the right ones so I decided to throw in moments of customer service or sales experience from my last jobs in.
here's the resume.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.edited.docx
    10.9 KB · Views: 6

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK

It's not a bad idea to knock on Staples door again but equally I think you need to focus on getting your state of mind in the right place - your confidence (or lack of) will either let you in or let you out and your post doesn't sound very confident. Resume's aren't easy but there really is a tonne of free resource out there. Just utilise what @Latebloomer said: he's given you lots of helpful suggestions on how to 'pitch' the (currently) limited experience you have. In my experience the resume gets you through the door but if you can't find the words to sell yourself when you're in the interview you'll fall - I say that both from my experience as a newbie in the employment field many years ago and also now as someone who regularly interviews law/economics grads. Bottom line is: it'll be very obvious if you don't believe in yourself and the tone of your posts so far appear to be the result of repeated rejections but you need to reset that despondency and channel it to more of a kick-a$$ mindset! Don't just apply for jobs but actually book in to see/meet up with people just to practise your social skills and to be comfortable with who you are. I may have misread it but you sound quite isolated in this search - no man is an island and it's an excellent first step you've taken to 'rant' on this thread because it's yielded some phenomenally helpful responses but you can't just apply to Staples and sit back. What other things could you do that align you with your goal? What will the job need? Social skills - so practise them whenever, wherever. Go to the library and find the books suggested on this thread but also see if you can have a pleasant conversation with the person helping you - test them: are they good at customer service? If so, what did they do to help you that was 'good'? If they are disinterested and disengaged? Observe that and remind yourself not to be like that! Ditto coffee shop/sales environments - just observing will give you lots of good role models you can utilise. All good experience to get ready for the interview! And rehearse with someone when you get to the interview stage - google most common asked interview questions/toughest interview questions. Ask your friends to be the interviewer; ask them to ask you the toughest questions etc. and practise/practise/practise!

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I got a call from a company I decided to do research on the company and found out that it only had two employees. The word sales associate is different for every company. I've been trying to expand my options by going to different retail companies but no luck. I guess I might have to push the Law of Averages a little further

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hi Shelton:

I'm glad you took our advice from your other thread and decided to pound the pavement and look for a job.

I'm also glad that you're finding that it's not as easy as people like to say it is.

I'm also glad that you've come back to take additional criticisms from members here. We're not exactly the nicest people around.

Your latest resume needs to be polished even more. Proper nouns must be capitalized (Eagle National, I assume, is the name of the company, so capitalize both words).

Drove up sales revenue of the company by 2% does not sound very impressive. Can you give a dollar figure that sounds more impressive? 20 phones a day sounds decent, but how well were other people doing? If you were selling 20 but everyone else was selling 40, then it kinda sounds like you're a low performer. So the line would look like "Sold on average 20 phones per day (company average: ##)"

Companies want salespeople who are high performers. They really have no use for low performing sales people. They also want someone who can communicate persuasively and

If you've got a good GPA at school (above a 3), include that. Also include an expected graduation date + what kind of degree you're working toward.

Keep pushing forward. You already have a janitor job, you've done a sales job, now getting a better sales job will help you bring some money in.

Another tip: if you wanna develop serious sales chops & learn how to take a beating, get a commission only sales job on the side. Selling stuff like residential solar panels, landscaping, cable services, credit card offers... that kind of thing. Finding them is really easy (they're on the shady side and often post 'entry level marketing/sales' jobs; they brag about having a 'fast track to promotion' and requiring 'no experience), and all they're looking for is someone with a pulse and some brass balls to go out and sell for them.

If you can last more than 3 months there, and actually make more than minimum wage doing it, then I promise you; you'll be a selling machine.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Shelton:

I'm glad you took our advice from your other thread and decided to pound the pavement and look for a job.

I'm also glad that you're finding that it's not as easy as people like to say it is.

I'm also glad that you've come back to take additional criticisms from members here. We're not exactly the nicest people around.

Your latest resume needs to be polished even more. Proper nouns must be capitalized (Eagle National, I assume, is the name of the company, so capitalize both words).

Drove up sales revenue of the company by 2% does not sound very impressive. Can you give a dollar figure that sounds more impressive? 20 phones a day sounds decent, but how well were other people doing? If you were selling 20 but everyone else was selling 40, then it kinda sounds like you're a low performer. So the line would look like "Sold on average 20 phones per day (company average: ##)"

Companies want salespeople who are high performers. They really have no use for low performing sales people. They also want someone who can communicate persuasively and

If you've got a good GPA at school (above a 3), include that. Also include an expected graduation date + what kind of degree you're working toward.

Keep pushing forward. You already have a janitor job, you've done a sales job, now getting a better sales job will help you bring some money in.

Another tip: if you wanna develop serious sales chops & learn how to take a beating, get a commission only sales job on the side. Selling stuff like residential solar panels, landscaping, cable services, credit card offers... that kind of thing. Finding them is really easy (they're on the shady side and often post 'entry level marketing/sales' jobs; they brag about having a 'fast track to promotion' and requiring 'no experience), and all they're looking for is someone with a pulse and some brass balls to go out and sell for them.

If you can last more than 3 months there, and actually make more than minimum wage doing it, then I promise you; you'll be a selling machine.
I am trying to break in to retail as a sales or stock associate. I managed to get an interview with the last shitty resume I had. I thought adding any form of experience related to customer service or talking to people would let me go further but now I seem to be regressing not progressing.

MelanitaD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 19, 2018
Alexandria, VA
@shelton - The folks here have been super generous with advice, so I'm sure you've gotten plenty. If you'd like hands-on help with your resume, happy to donate a half hour to tweaking it with you in real time. Inbox me.

One other thought is to get volunteer experience now, especially if you can't find a job. Even if you just work a week or two for a soup kitchen or something, you'll have someone who can vouch for your work ethic and something else to put on your resume. I know it's hard because you need to make money, but it's a start.

One last thought: if you're having trouble with "big box" employers like Target and Walgreens, maybe start with a small business owner (a local bakery, a barbershop sweeping floors, etc.). You might make them an offer they can't refuse: how about I work for you, for free, for a full day and then you decide whether to give me a chance. A lot of small business owners would be floored by that offer, and might give you a try.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This whole thread seems weird. I don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing MJ's Fastlane methodology, but it sounds like Shelton needs to be talking to a government job placement service. There are government employees whose jobs is to help struggling people find jobs. His "vision" seems to (understandably) be to put food on the table. If his "vision" was to be impacting millions even though he would often be in a rough spot, it would be completely different. I would encourage him to get a "day job" (like he is working on), stabilize his life, and then learn about the Fastlane methodology.

Rich Wood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jun 17, 2018
Salt Lake City, UT
The resume is only one piece in the hunt for the best job for you. I hire and let go on average about 20 people a year. The main thing I look for is good communication skills, a positive attitude, the ability to learn and contribute, with a drive for success. Most of what you will need in your job, you'll learn on the job, but the soft-skills will get you in the door.
Also, have you tried Indeed.com or linked-in. Both are resources I use to find people regularly.
Also, ask your social network, friends, family, others what they do, and if they would recommend you.
Connect with fellow alumni from your network, neighborhood or town.
Ask for mentoring advice from employers you may want to work for.
Attend job-fairs, city chamber of commerce events, networking events, and if you go back to school be-sure to work with the career services group.
All of these will get you a job working for someone else, but to be free of this, learn your skills, select an entrepreneurial route and pursue it with vigor.
Finally, if you don't ask, you won't get. Shoot for the moon, and if you land on a star you are good. Don't peg yourself into one job, or one role. Be constantly evolving and adapting to the market, and search out where your talents can best be compensated.
Crazy idea - would be to even attend a few meet-up's in New York, make some friends and then have them refer you to their companies, they may even get a bonus if you get hired.
Best of luck

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
The resume is only one piece in the hunt for the best job for you. I hire and let go on average about 20 people a year. The main thing I look for is good communication skills, a positive attitude, the ability to learn and contribute, with a drive for success. Most of what you will need in your job, you'll learn on the job, but the soft-skills will get you in the door.
Also, have you tried Indeed.com or linked-in. Both are resources I use to find people regularly.
Also, ask your social network, friends, family, others what they do, and if they would recommend you.
Connect with fellow alumni from your network, neighborhood or town.
Ask for mentoring advice from employers you may want to work for.
Attend job-fairs, city chamber of commerce events, networking events, and if you go back to school be-sure to work with the career services group.
All of these will get you a job working for someone else, but to be free of this, learn your skills, select an entrepreneurial route and pursue it with vigor.
Finally, if you don't ask, you won't get. Shoot for the moon, and if you land on a star you are good. Don't peg yourself into one job, or one role. Be constantly evolving and adapting to the market, and search out where your talents can best be compensated.
Crazy idea - would be to even attend a few meet-up's in New York, make some friends and then have them refer you to their companies, they may even get a bonus if you get hired.
Best of luck
I keep going on indeed but I just keep getting rejected. I have no friends right now so I need to find smaller companies. I will keep adapting and changing. I've been researching companies and job questions for the jobs I want like Sales Associate, Stock Associate and even Receptionist but they are hard to find and even hard to answer. I want to go to a retail store but the saturation is killing me. I applied for many different Staples and McDonalds stores and they each seem to have these long interview processes.

How do I figure out how to appeal to different companies when I can't find enough information. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I could take the time to just think about this.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
How do I figure out how to appeal to different companies when I can't find enough information.

That's covered in Parachute, in detail! It's the entire last third of the book! You go talk with people who are doing the kind of work you're interested in, to learn more about what it takes to do that kind of work. In those conversations you DO NOT ask for or expect a job offer. Then once you learn where you would MOST like to work, and you understand from talking with people why you have the MOST to offer them, you go talk to the person who can hire you, whether or not they've advertising a job opening. He does not leave you guessing how to do it, he spells it out exactly in thorough step by step detail. The first few chapters of Parachute go into very thorough description of why reacting to a mass-advertised job posting from a big company is the worst possible way to do a job hunt. And in the middle is what you need to understand about yourself to make this approach work for you. If you haven't read the book yet, you really should!

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I think Shelton's in NYC, so there should be plenty of government services, temp agencies, non-profits and churches he could readily get to with transit. What a great post with very specific advice on where he could turn for some up to date job guidance in person.
I had an interview today and i finally decided to give up trying to break into retail. Do you know anyone who knows how to appeal to web design hiring managers. I’m finally confronted with one of my greatest weaknesses finding the right words. I’m not good at pitching myself maybe I could find a job where people care about what you know. Instead of how you say it. I put i year in a half of effort into this but I think I should look for something else.

G

Guest24480

I had an interview today and i finally decided to give up trying to break into retail. Do you know anyone who knows how to appeal to web design hiring managers. I’m finally confronted with one of my greatest weaknesses finding the right words. I’m not good at pitching myself maybe I could find a job where people care about what you know. Instead of how you say it. I put i year in a half of effort into this but I think I should look for something else.

You are wasting your time applying online for retail jobs. Go into the actual store, ask for a manager, and introduce yourself. Even better if there is a help needed sign in the window. Check out those outlet malls, they are always looking for extra help and are hiring constantly.

Getting a minimum wage job in retail is not hard man, it just takes a bit of effort other than blasting out resumes online. Go into the real world, walk around and introduce yourself to managers in every store you come across that you could see yourself working in. Show genuine interest in working there, fill out an application, and wait for a call back.

Think about it - who are they going to call back? The nobody who sent his cookie cutter resume to 50 bajillion other stores online and put in zero effort whatsoever? Or the guy they can match a name and a face to who had the balls to introduce himself in person, AND showed an interest in working there?

I think you very well know the answer, and it's time to get out of your comfort zone if you want to go anywhere in life. I'm deliberately being tougher on you because I used to be that guy, and it's what you need to hear.

Get out of the house and confront your fears head on.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
You are wasting your time applying online for retail jobs. Go into the actual store, ask for a manager, and introduce yourself. Even better if there is a help needed sign in the window. Check out those outlet malls, they are always looking for extra help and are hiring constantly.

Getting a minimum wage job in retail is not hard man, it just takes a bit of effort other than blasting out resumes online. Go into the real world, walk around and introduce yourself to managers in every store you come across that you could see yourself working in. Show genuine interest in working there, fill out an application, and wait for a call back.

Think about it - who are they going to call back? The nobody who sent his cookie cutter resume to 50 bajillion other stores online and put in zero effort whatsoever? Or the guy they can match a name and a face to who had the balls to introduce himself in person, AND showed an interest in working there?

I think you very well know the answer, and it's time to get out of your comfort zone if you want to go anywhere in life. I'm deliberately being tougher on you because I used to be that guy, and it's what you need to hear.

Get out of the house and confront your fears head on.
I think you’re right. I thought I could just submit resumes but every one is doing it. Not many people are willing to take time out of there work to physically go to each store. I tried that strategy but maybe I didn’t do it right. I don’t like being stubborn. Stubbornness has failed me time and time again and I hate seeing it in action. I put one year of effort into this. I think today marks the anniversary of my crusade. At first I didn’t believe. Then I told myself I had to. I’m now realizing that made too many reckless mistakes. I’ve been too naive and too reckless at this and I don’t want to have to go through this again.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Do you know anyone who knows how to appeal to web design hiring managers

Working harder at an extremely ineffective strategy, is not nearly as good as switching to a better strategy. If you wanted to get from New York to L.A., driving north even faster than ever before would not help you as much as simply turning west... even if you didn't drive west very fast.

My post directly above yours, explains how Parachute very clearly walks you through this in a step by step process. It's not the only book or resource available, far from it. But it's one of the very best of all time, clearly written and with a cheery, friendly tone to help keep your spirits up.

I agree with Dubidu and so many others who are advising you here. It seems that what you are doing is trying to find a way to fix up a resume and apply online even harder. Parachute clearly explains why what you are doing is the very least effective method for finding a job.

If you really tried to read the book and found it hard to follow, then why not turn to any of the job hunt resources that have been mentioned by so many people, such as job hunting groups available at many government job hunt centers, churches, etc.?

You have very specific advice from plenty of people here.

You are wasting your time applying online for retail jobs.
To which you say - okay so how do I make a better resume for my online retail applications?

The resume is only one piece in the hunt for the best job for you.
So what resume will definitely get me a job?

There are government employees whose jobs is to help struggling people find jobs.
(No response at all)

Maybe start with a small business owner.
So how do I get Staples to hire me already?

Get a commission only sales job on the side.
Didn't I mention I need to have a resume that will make Staples pick up my online application for minimum wage retail clerk?

Don't just apply for jobs but actually book in to see/meet up with people.
So what do I put in my resume and online application so I never need to talk with anyone?

You seem to be deep in "yes, but" territory. No matter what is suggested, who it's from, how much life experience and business experience and thoughtfulness goes into it... it's impossible, because it's not the one and only thing that you're already failing at: a better resume for another online app for another big box.

Has it been half a year since you completed the self-description exercise in the middle of Parachute, and have been doing informational interviews every day like he recommends? Or has it been half a year of ever more clicky-clicky online for places like Staples?

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I finally read the book again and did the flower exercise on paper and this is what I could come up with. The book said that I should find friends to help me based on my answers but they are not able to do this so here are my answers.

People I prefer not to work with from top to bottom the first being never and bottom being tolerable are
distracting
talks too much
bossy
messy
manipulative
insane
incompetent
moody
lazy

If there were six groups in a room who were Realistic Conventional Enterprising Investigative Artistic and Social.
My Holland Code is I E S

P.S. I choose these traits because I like these kinds of people even though I'm nothing like them. I prefer different people since I'm not that good of a person as far as behaviors go and I'm slowly getting sick of my lifestyle.

From the traits section, I am
Achievement oriented, Calm, Impulsive, Open-minded, Self-reliant, Methodical

From the sphere Excercise, I said I wanted more beauty and entertainment I could've also said possessions. But I really just want to die in a world with technology beyond my wildest dreams.

As far as my hobbies are concerned my hobbies normally rely on playing video games and watching videos about politics, self-improvement world issues and art. I watched videos about web development last year because I was excited about the fact that I could launch my own site and It would add computer skills to my resume but I don't want to pay weekly to launch my own site and don't want to deal with anyone controlling my site other than me.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Working harder at an extremely ineffective strategy, is not nearly as good as switching to a better strategy. If you wanted to get from New York to L.A., driving north even faster than ever before would not help you as much as simply turning west... even if you didn't drive west very fast.

My post directly above yours, explains how Parachute very clearly walks you through this in a step by step process. It's not the only book or resource available, far from it. But it's one of the very best of all time, clearly written and with a cheery, friendly tone to help keep your spirits up.

I agree with Dubidu and so many others who are advising you here. It seems that what you are doing is trying to find a way to fix up a resume and apply online even harder. Parachute clearly explains why what you are doing is the very least effective method for finding a job.

If you really tried to read the book and found it hard to follow, then why not turn to any of the job hunt resources that have been mentioned by so many people, such as job hunting groups available at many government job hunt centers, churches, etc.?

You have very specific advice from plenty of people here.

To which you say - okay so how do I make a better resume for my online retail applications?

So what resume will definitely get me a job?

(No response at all)

So how do I get Staples to hire me already?

Didn't I mention I need to have a resume that will make Staples pick up my online application for minimum wage retail clerk?

So what do I put in my resume and online application so I never need to talk with anyone?

You seem to be deep in "yes, but" territory. No matter what is suggested, who it's from, how much life experience and business experience and thoughtfulness goes into it... it's impossible, because it's not the one and only thing that you're already failing at: a better resume for another online app for another big box.

Has it been half a year since you completed the self-description exercise in the middle of Parachute, and have been doing informational interviews every day like he recommends? Or has it been half a year of ever more clicky-clicky online for places like Staples?

As for exercises six and seven, I'm not the kind of guy who thinks in very strict ways and I just want a carrier that allows me to live on my own in a good apartment alone while saving up cash for me to go out and find friends. I have to take into account all the bills I have to pay in New York. I want to do this in baby steps.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Skip indeed. Join your local Facebook jobs group. Make a 10 second post that says you're a hard working results-driven guy looking to work in sales. Probably get offered a job in 10 minutes. Also make sure your Facebook profile pic looks nice and hide your posts from non-friends. Employers will judge you. Fast food, lawn care and call centers usually don't care though.

On a side note, I was offered a job at every single place I walked into and asked for the owner, even if it wasn't the same day. If you walk in a fast food store in a suit with a black folder you'll get offered Assistant Manager position before they even know anything about you. You're not ready for that it sounds like, but it's still good info.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I prefer different people since I'm not that good of a person as far as behaviors go and I'm slowly getting sick of my lifestyle.

This sounds like much deeper issues than how to go about job hunting.

I want to do this in baby steps.

I don't know how to help you. A map of baby steps is available to you from books. More maps of baby steps are available to you from other forum members. Additional maps of baby steps are available to you from job hunter groups and workshops that can be found for free throughout any major city, especially NYC.

I wish you luck choosing a direction, and finding the motivation, energy, and self-confidence to take some baby steps towards your success.

I'll unsubscribe from this discussion now. If you do land a job or start some kind of goal-focused activity, whether it might be starting a window washing service for local restaurants, or joining the military, or launching the next Facebook, or working for Staples, feel free to let me know. Good luck.

Last edited:

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Today I decided to finally go to many different stores to find out information or get hired. I hope this plan works by the end of this month. This is the only card I have to play.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I think you’re right. I thought I could just submit resumes but every one is doing it. Not many people are willing to take time out of there work to physically go to each store. I tried that strategy but maybe I didn’t do it right. I don’t like being stubborn. Stubbornness has failed me time and time again and I hate seeing it in action. I put one year of effort into this. I think today marks the anniversary of my crusade. At first I didn’t believe. Then I told myself I had to. I’m now realizing that made too many reckless mistakes. I’ve been too naive and too reckless at this and I don’t want to have to go through this again.

Huh that's weird, when I did go into retail stores, they just say apply online.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Huh that's weird, when I did go into retail stores, they just say apply online.
Im not sure what to do anymore small companies are hard to find and I can’t beat people who go to marketing events. My job is becoming more and more insufferable I’m close to a breaking point in my life. My need to want this is fading. I hate this place

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Im not sure what to do anymore small companies are hard to find

There's a thread on here about how long to your first employee, which might explain why there are so few small companies hiring. Not sure if that helps you figure it out or not.

For motivation I'd suggest trying to get a day off at the time of payout at the local welfare place. Go there and see all the people who would love your job, lining up for their welfare check.

If I was in Brooklyn, I would try flipping and networking. NY is the second biggest place for capital, and I bet a lot of European companies would pay to have access to someone already networking with the angel investor scene there.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
There's a thread on here about how long to your first employee, which might explain why there are so few small companies hiring. Not sure if that helps you figure it out or not.

For motivation, I'd suggest trying to get a day off at the time of payout at the local welfare place. Go there and see all the people who would love your job, lining up for their welfare check.

If I was in Brooklyn, I would try flipping and networking. NY is the second biggest place for capital, and I bet a lot of European companies would pay to have access to someone already networking with the angel investor scene there.
I decided to go to many different stores and try to talk to the hiring managers and submit my resume.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I tried going to different stores but no luck yet. They don’t have the time to talk to me. Most of them say just apply online. The only stores available are women’s clothing stores but they only hire women. I thought any job would be better than being a janitor but I guess not. Maybe I should try searching for different jobs other than being a sales associate at a retail store but I cannot figure out their names

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Scaffolding companies pretty much take on anyone in my experience. At some firms it's like the wild west with only ex-cons and druggies. If you're neither of those, you could be seen as a golden goose. But maybe you don't feel like doing that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.