The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

Ultra Magnus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Oct 9, 2015
Just read the book (ordered a copy from bookdepository.com which I think is owned by amazon). It's a worthy successor to TMF , presenting a fresh look at some of the same concepts, but also introducing a lot of higher-level stuff and things I needed to know. Definitely a must-read for anyone attracted by entrepreneurship.

Things I didn't like (constructive criticism):
- the quality of the print felt cheap, the soft cover bent open the moment I started reading. I recently bought a bunch of engineering books in soft cover in the same price range and they were nicer. Ofc, this is just a nitpick.
- some editing errors, quite unexpected since MJ's "F*ck you" approach suggests he had all the time in the world to send the manuscript to some pros for several passes (if you did, don't use them again).
- I don't really think the style works, there are many passages in which it was obvious MJ put in a lot of effort into coming up with fancy phrasing (there's a ton of alliteration and interesting metaphors, quite a few places made me laugh), only to have it devolve into an Internet bonanza of "F*ck you" and "F*ck this". It'd be better if he stuck to one style and employed it consistently, either "heavy metal" or more "mainstream". I'm guessing this is one book that's going to be heavily toned down in translation without the author knowing. Good luck in the Bible Belt :)
- not sure if the diagrams were worth it since they're really busy. But I'm on the fence with this, it's nice having a bird's-eye view of the concepts in each chapter, and they'll probably get their chance to shine on subsequent readings.

The content itself makes almost every other business-related book feel like a cheap cash grab, so it's all good :) The above criticisms are easily brushed aside by the honesty and value.

Maybe this is a good moment to say that when I posted in the "I've read TMF " thread, I was working on my invention and how I could get it made. Posting this now, I've made some nice sales and have a few happy customers, a second product shipped to pre-orders and a whole bunch of business experience under my belt. To use one of your metaphors, I'm in the forest, eating a roasted squirrel I managed to kill with a sling I made. I'm a pleb, but I'm in the game, learning and hustling.

You changed my life MJ. I hope that by the time you roll around with a new book, I'll be one of the fat sharks and have the time to 'troll the forums more.

All the best!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
MJ, visiting and engaging in your forum inspired me to finish UNSCRIPTED today. When you liked my Fastlane reply, I tripled down and JUST finished the book with near perfect engagement! I appreciate what you've taught and the effort you put into giving. It's refreshing and changed my perspective in more than one way. Keep it up bud :)

DeterminedJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 15, 2017
Burlington, VT
Did the audiobook ever come out? I was looking on Amazon to purchase the audiobook and was unable to locate. I do not mind reading the paperback version, but I usually leverage my drive in to work by listening to audiobooks. Thanks in advance!

Agreed on the audiobook! I was ultimately so eager to access the content that I bought the Kindle version and read it as fast as I could. That said, I 100% would still buy the audiobook in order to revisit some parts during my commute.

Twopro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 28, 2014
Texas
Had read 36 chapters and then stopped for a week. Finally finished it yesterday, I didn't wanna though. Its like a show/movie/game you don't want to finish because you don't want it to end. Great read, so much valuable information! I need to share it with friends and family that are probably feeling like I was before I first found TMF

Puripong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
May 19, 2016
I would like to add another point. I have had many "used to be" excellent books before. I am addictive to a reading and spent a lot of money to books I thought it was excellent in both business / entrepreneur / marketing and self-development category. However after finished reading both TMF and Unscripted then re-read those books again I suddenly spotted many of shits. I spotted many of malicious lies, a similar platitude across books with a bit of words adapted / fabricated in trying to make them nonidentical.

Again a kind of paradoxical "Teach you how to get rich while the author got riches by selling his books teaching it" are much easier to be spotted. Made me disgusted how naive of me believing those shits before.

As some comments above said - Just two books from MJ is enough for the rest of your entrepreneur life. I wished I could found TMF much earlier so I wouldn't spend some of my fortune to those piece of craps.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just two books from MJ is enough for the rest of your entrepreneur life.

That was my intent. Any future books to be read should be central to the problem or mission in front of you... need to learn how to market better? Read a marketing book! Need to do better branding? Read branding books! Looking to hire your first employees and create a good culture? Read books specific to your problem and desire for more knowledge.

minak

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 14, 2013
Vnacouver, CA
I read the UNSCRIPTED , and it was indeed a wake-up call to get my Fastlane dream and then life together. For years, I've been living on theories. I need to take serious action on the knowledge I've gathered over the years. Since I finished reading the book, about 2 weeks ago, I've been analysing different business ideas (i.e. Amazon FBA, writing an ebook or even forex trading). I feel like I can do any of these ideas but I am caught up in the loop of trying to figure out which direction to take. And this scares me because I feel like I am not moving forward. I am not sure if it's taking me longer to make a decision or if this is normal. One thing for sure, I want to move forward and I have to before the month end.

Thank you so much MJ for writing this book...you have helped to wake-up so many people like myself.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
the book talks about wannabe entrepreneurs who do nothing

it reminds me of the last business meeting i attended a few days ago .

it was a seminar with entrepreneurs talking on stage about their work.

i was the only guy in the audience who asked questions and who asked for business numbers

i was the only guy who contacted afterward some entrepreneurs for further informations

people came to attend but didn't give a shit about what was said. they didn't ask questions

they just didn't give a shit at all about the event !

i don't really understand why they were there in the first place

Last edited:

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
Thanks MJ! Just finished reading Unscripted . I really liked the chapter on the Customer Lifecycle - with the "7 P's to a Productocracy". I've had tons of internet business ideas but never realized all the opportunities for soft testing before launch. I have one idea in particular I can start soft testing immediately, I think I might start a Progress Thread so I can share how it goes or ask for feedback. Also all the stuff about mindsets and limiting beliefs was quite fascinating, I can almost sense their presence in other people. When having random discussions with friends/roommates/strangers about politics/life/business, I occasionally detect underlying limiting beliefs when I hear mentions of "evil corporations", "rights to healthcare", "money vs happiness", etc. It's subtle yet detectable. I'm sure most people here can relate.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
I had once been told that entrepreneurship is like cramping 40 yrs of slowlane work into 10 or less years. Its tough. Its demanding. It requires you to give it all. No one is obliged to teach or mentor anyone.

When I read TMF, I was enlightened by the concepts and teachings in the book. It gave me the insight I lacked and terribly needed for my journey in entrepreneurship.

Now that I read UNSCRIPTED , it has CEMENTED my resolve to be in the fastlane.

This is the last book on entrepreneurship that anyone needs. MJ has shared all that is required to make it in the fastlane with his 2 books.

MJ, thank you for your time and hard work on TMF and UNSCRIPTED . Thank you.

Major

Luck is Man-Made
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
397%
Oct 26, 2016
South Carolina
Read Unscripted !! Not, going to lie, thought it may be an added play to the Fastlane Millionaire....Boy was I wrong. Outstanding standalone book with raw unscripted truth. I wish this were available to me in business school. Sad that these teachings are not more readily apparent. But, it becomes apparent why these truths are not readily taught and available to schools. Authors, like MJ, have not only altered my mind on business but also how I will parent my children.

nordien1978

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 5, 2013
I have read Unscripted and must say again a great book :)
I liked the commandments CENTS coming back in the book Unscripted from the TMF.
And the example investments for divident payout very insightful.
When you read the book you can really get a sense that a lot of time and research went into the book real quality to read.
Like the TMF book and also in this book Unscripted is like the life saving medicine - Here is my Money (Productacrecy):)
Now waiting for the Audiobook so i can listen to it as well :)

5 star out of 5

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Just finished reading Unscripted . Actually I just finished it the second time , and it was so much more than I expected, espicially after thinking it couldn't top The Millionaire Fastlane .

First of all, absolutely love how detailed each chapter was. The Millionaire Fastlane was an excellent read too, but Unscripted really went into many details of the rabbit hole to really grasp the ideas of the unscripted entrepreneurial framework, incongruency with the beliefs and actions holding you back from breaking free, and a very detailed understanding of why breaking free from the script is going to be the most difficult and the most rewarding choice you'll ever make.

Certain things really hit me on an emotional level; which was unexpected...

Looking at the whole gumball analogy really put certain things into a correct perspective and provide a much needed courage in the dark times(for me atleast); to correct mental flaws about the seemly chaos of the scripted life, adjust with feedback, and keep turning that lever for the golden gumball of freedom.

At the end of it, this book (for me personally) was even better than The Millionaire Fastlane , and here's why:

I still remember the first time I'd read TMF and how it changed the trajectory of my life, but this was much more "real".

TMF was about how the Sidewalk and Slowlane were flawed and how the Fastlane was where true wealth is(and it's Turbocharger wealth formula).
I remember how awesome it felt to open my eyes to the truth about freedom and how simple achieving the Fastlane was going to be in a few years.

Unscripted was a very brutal reality check of how tightly society keeps you scripted even when you may not even realize it
Even knowing and throwing around the usual jargon like" i'm an entrepreneur, sidewalking, slowlaning, is this Fastlane, #redpill, #millionaire by x, CENTS, #passive-income, #rat race, etc" does not mean we're unscripted yet.

That's right, having knowledge of lifestyle anatomy is not the same as actually living lifestyle anatomy, it just means I'm "awakened" to a certain truth; but still living in the day to day grind. Action-fakes,jargon and knowledge of being a slave isn't enough and the price of freedom can really translate to years of blood, sweat, and tears; the things most people(like myself) want to sacrifice yet haven't consistently done yet.

Incredibly impactful book.
Thank you so much for writing this @MJ DeMarco , and thank you for being so brutally honest.

lanceg321

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Sep 15, 2013
Oregon
I just finished Unscripted and the book was excellent! I love the no bullshit writing style MJ. You call it like it is and boil the process down to easy to understand processes. Extremely well done book!

Graziano45

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 21, 2017
Acworth, GA
I can not say enough about this book, Wow. It has so much going on in it, it was some what hard to read and take it all in. For me, this is going to be a book a need to read at least twice.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At the end of it, this book (for me personally) was even better than The Millionaire Fastlane

I also feel it's better than TMF.

My gut feeling is that people who crave big money and lifestyle will like TMF better.
People who crave freedom and autonomy (with "things" as secondary) will like UNSCRIPTED better.

In the end, I needed to write UNSCRIPTED to stand alone for those folks who avoided TMF due to its "get rich quick" titling.

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Kenyon

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jun 12, 2017
st simons island
?? You mean TMF? The UNSCRIPTED audiobook has not been released yet.
Yes TMF on audiobook! My wife actually already had it on her audible collection months ago and had recommended it to me then but I just got around to it after listening to your podcast on Invest Like a Boss which I was a guest on as well

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Congrats on another fine book MJ! I liked the layout and graphics specifically. Bonus points for the last few chapters, they were unexpected!

PoGOOD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 4, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
Thanks for the audiobook - I drive a lot and it is always a "perfect pair" - audiobook for the car and ebook for a quiet moment in a hotel or at home. So much better than hotel (or any other) TV...

Pity you didn't read it this time... Fastlane sounded so much more authentic thanks to real emotions in your voice.

The narrator is perfectly fine, but I just miss this "extra bit"... Maybe it is just me ;)

m21e

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 5, 2017
Germany
I finally read Unscripted , it was a verry good book. I liked it better than TMF.
I will also get the Audible version to make better use of my indentured time:)
I will and have recommended it to my friends

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Pity you didn't read it this time...

I actually tried to read it but then realized by the time I finished it would be 2019. My voice couldn't take it. It was time to outsource and free up that time into more productive activities.

PoGOOD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 4, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
I actually tried to read it but then realized by the time I finished it would be 2019. My voice couldn't take it. It was time to outsource and free up that time into more productive activities.

You just spoiled us with the first one MJ :D

Thanks MJ. It's a good read and looks to me it has a great value for future chapter-jumping. TMF was a linear stuff - you needed to read it A to Z. This one makes me go back to refresh the elements that are currently on my mind. I like that.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.