• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

GOLD! I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by MJ DeMarco, May 12, 2017.

1. Disciple96

Disciple96 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $662
    Just finished the book, burned through it all day today and yesterday.

Let me just say, 10 dollars for the information provided in this book is unbelievable.

I almost feel guilty for buying it through Kindle instead of directly from VPC.

Sir, you are truly a man ahead of his time.

Although the earlier chapters may seem like mostly rhetoric to those fully on-board, they serve a critical purpose introducing those who have been decieved by the script. As with the rest of the book, very refreshing to read, entertaining, and full of great humor.

CENTS is much more in-depth this time around.

I was quickly overwhelmed with information overload in later chapters.

I remember reading TMF, it was basically a surface level version of everything in UNSCRIPTED. Comparitavely, I rarely had trouble absorbing the information.

Plainly put, Unscripted is TMF x10.

Every question answered. No stone left unturned. I barely made it through the later chapters. As my mind became increasingly tired, reading about end-game investment strategies became admittedly complex.

My point is, there is so much pure, unadulterated, no-bs, UNSCRIPTED value for anybody in any stage of the process. From beginning to end, MJ lights the way.

Of course, there are still dangers lurking in the shadows. But with a little light, it's easier to navigate the forest.

Forget singles, You took a home-run with TMF and knocked it outside city limits. You cover everything from FTE and the philosophy of happiness itself, to "retirement" and everywhere in between.

Anyways, I can't thank you enough.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    ZF Lee and MJ DeMarco like this.
  2. Nily

Nily Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,043
    This is the book:

[​IMG]

Me after finishing it:

[​IMG]

3. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,956
    Ok full review from the beginning. Your book is long, therefore my review is too.

The first 5 chapters provided in the preview really take you into a world, similar to @Vigilante's story about the man at the sandwich shop. The life most people live. Poignantly written and explored.

The rest of Part 2 continues the theme, similar to FASTLANE, and really explores into greater detail WHY the Sidewalk and Slowlane are so attractive. FASTLANE doesn't do this, and it's a great slap in the face for the people who still believe the crap.

The problem is not the job, the marriage, the stock market, or the home ownership: it's the sale of the package as a life plan and a definition of success... even though the fact is you trade your TIME daily for money because you're trapped. MJ exposes this, yet again, but with a real look into the hyperrealities that make up the Script.

Part 3 is the proverbial awakening. The Script sucks, you don't have to live it, and the Unscripted life is there... if you're willing to make some radical changes. Those who have made it play from a position of F*ck You. I loved how brash MJ was about this, but that's kinda what we expect from him.

Part 4 is the REAL meat and potatoes of this book. A lot of it mirrors Fastlane, but we gotta keep in mind: Fastlane was published years ago (2011 I think) and a LOT has changed since then. Reading both really gives you an advantage because you then see that, yes, things CHANGE in the marketplace. Your job as an Unscripted Fastlane entrepreneur is to take advantage of this change.

Your biases are exposed. Bullshit scams that propogate in the marketplace are exposed. The marketing crap that pervades the Internet that people get sucked into because they just WANNA BE RICH! That's exposed too. This stuff needed to be said for years, and MJ finally said it.

What MJ said about BRO marketing is going to lose him some readership, some forum members, and some fans. He plays from a position of F*ck You. He could sell millions kowtowing to the crowd. But he doesn't. If any non-members read this: listen to him. Those people are out to take your money and are not invested in your success... no matter how much they say they are.

MJ then introduces the concept of the 'productocracy', which is a welcome addition and really shows that with a great offer, you don't have to advertise forever. With a me-too offer, you will have to advertise forever and you're slave to growing CPCs and generic competition with scale economies. I loved this because it really tells people that value is #1 and doesn't promote the kind of bullshit $150k/mo revenue with a 1% margin pushing generic crap using FB ads.

The commandments are back and, best of all, they're delved into in a different way. Questions that arose from FASTLANE are answered.

FASTLANE goes into greater detail about execution (marketing, operations, financial models), so if you want a book that shows you HOW to execute, get that. This book talks about kinetic execution, which is more about identifying which actions to take.

However, what makes the F*ck You life possible are what MJ eventually explains at the end of Part 4. If you fail at these 4 steps, you will be forever stuck in a business. You will stay a slave.

Part 5 is the cherry on top. For most, it won't be actionable. That's okay. However, if you've ever been curious as to what a money system does or how it works (and, best of all, how to choose investments for your money system no matter what the economy!) read this book the way through.

---

For those who have read FASTLANE: buy this book, too.

It provides more modern examples of businesses that fit the CENTS criteria and really explains what most people who run businesses (including myself) are doing wrong.

Also, multiple forum members are given mentions. It feels great to be a part of a community that is actually changing lives (including my own).

There's an entire section at the end about what happens when you don't follow the Unscripted formula to a T. There's another section at the end that explains things that can go wrong. (The impacts of singular bad choices can outweigh years of good ones)

Some people might buy this book first. That's fine: buy FASTLANE as well.

All in all, UNSCRIPTED sells a different life plan and a different life philosophy for those who are unable to find happiness in the Script. If you find happiness in the Script, good for you. This book won't do you much good.

But, if you're still out there struggling in a job, a 'business' masquerading as a job (cough), or if you're flat F*ckin broke with nowhere to go... start here.

4. Alxander

Alxander Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,121
    Book just got in, it's thicc! Blazed through it, counts as a read? :clench:

Thirty&Free, ZF Lee and MJ DeMarco like this.
  5. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,956
    Amazon wouldn't let me post my review. Oh well. I'll write a different one for that.

ZF Lee likes this.
  6. BradD

BradD Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,510
    On backorder in Canada but can't wait to devour it!

7. HeresMyThing

HeresMyThing Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $268
    UNSCRIPTED is not a cozy book. It is designed to make you uncomfortable. So if you're looking for a hug box, look elsewhere. I often cringed as he went over mistakes that I have made. It's like having an older brother take you aside and show you were you are screwing up.

MJ is a deep thinker. You can tell he's been refining these ideas over a lifetime. It's not so much "new" information that no one has ever heard, it's the presentation and arrange of said information that packs the punch. He is always one step ahead of the reader as he anticipates questions and objections. This is battle tested knowledge. Every premise is supported with examples and metaphors.

UNSCRIPTED is not a rehash of TMF. He does revisit some themes (life in the slowlane sucks, CENTS, etc.) but they are in the service of the larger framework. This book is holistic: he lays out the big picture and then shows you how all the pieces fit together.

I've read hundreds of business books and none of them have explained "value" so clearly and completely. I'm left with no questions about it. This is knowledge I can apply every day for the rest of my life.

I have pages of notes. I was able to see where I've been going wrong in the process. (Lacking in value and feedback loops, mainly.) I had many of the pieces of entrepreneurship correct, but lacked the framework, sequences, and understanding to drive them. I am in not great shape financially right now, but I'm not depressed because I know the principles he teaches apply and work. I finally feel like I have a fighting chance.

PS. This book has already saved me $17. Yesterday, I was looking at a tempting bright shiny object, but now that I have a better understanding of how things work, I passed on it. thanks MJ.

8. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,681
    Incredible!

I'm a fast reader, and this book was so in-depth and impactful, that it took me almost 4 days to read, highlight, take notes, and go for long thoughtful walks. Fortunately, I cleared my schedule after the first chapter.

Now I have to buy copies for all my kids (I have a lot, so that'll make up for people who think you're too abrupt.)

Amazon review left!

Andy Black and MJ DeMarco like this.
  9. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $395,234
    Admin Post
    Yay! That was my intent! I've been struggling to explain the difference between UNS and TMF -- the word I came up with was UNS is a holistic life approach.

Thank you for sharing.

10. ExaltedLife

ExaltedLife Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,615
    I've just finished it and HOLY SHIT THE BEST BUSINESS BOOK EVER! I love it! MJ Demarco you are the man!

11. ExaltedLife

ExaltedLife Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,615
    Also just left a review.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  12. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,276
    The last money system part of the book really makes me feel like an inadequate idiot...
    I worked 40 hours a week for 2000 bucks a month for years, when 500k in vanguard could make me the same thing for barely 1 hour a month of work...

omfg... i wanna shoot myself...

13. Duane

Duane Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,201
    Great book, read it and have to say it's pretty deep with a lot of gold nuggets.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  14. MortimerFox

MortimerFox Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $773
    luniac and MJ DeMarco like this.
  15. Envision

Envision Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,328
    Finished the book! Thank you MJ, it was great.

I think the best part about it is the tangible, tactical processes outlined for actually going unscripted. I dont think I've read a book that has done that before.

Should be required reading in schools.

NoahK, ZF Lee and MJ DeMarco like this.
  16. Ahmed

Ahmed Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $138
    You did it again.

I read the Fastlane when I was 14, 5 years ago. That book changed my life - it was my first 'redpill', my first radical eye-opener. Since reading the book, I went on to question many more Scripted paradigms - and boy did I grow. Unscripted helped me formally structure and analyze my observations and the fallacies many surrounding me perpetuate. Part 4 is absolutely indispensable, on its own it exponentially returns the cost of the book - value provision in action!

I would recommend this book to all wannabe entrepreneurs, to all teenagers confused about their purpose in life, to all young men and women who are struggling to create a functional business. MJ is not a 'guru', he is a F*cking genius.

Drop the script!

Andy Black, ZF Lee and MJ DeMarco like this.
  17. pbellot

pbellot Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $358
    F*ck This!, Focus, "VALUE", Profit/invest, F*ck You! TFM started me on my journey and UnScripted kicked me in the a$$! I loved every word. Since I read TFM, I've read it at the beginning of the year now for 3 years. Now I have two books to read to keep me on track. Thank you for writing these books for us future problem solvers.

Andy Black, ZF Lee and MJ DeMarco like this.
  18. ravenspear

ravenspear Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $606
    I've read the first half of it. I'll reply later with my thoughts on the rest but I wanted to write a half review while the content was fresh in my mind.

I think the most powerful thing I've read so far was the metaphor of the cat, the cat being money. This was where it was described as the people chasing money were like people chasing a cat around a lot trying to catch it, where the people offering value would put out some food and have the cat come to them. Very useful way to think about whether your actions are really part of a value proposition or if you are just fruitlessly chasing money.

Another section that really hit me was the section on the psychological evaluation of why you instantly respond to a rich young person with a super car with a negative reaction of how they must be a trust fund brat. Extremely powerful stuff there. And most of that happens on a subconscious level that most people don't even realize. The way that the brain is wired to self sabotage your efforts and give you a license to stay where you are is extremely critical to understand so that you can combat that when it happens.

I also second the very unfortunate but accurate description of bro marketing as it pertains to the informational products space. It feels like a lot of "internet entrepreneurship" has devolved into sales funnels to hawk worthless PDFs or similar items and that clouds the whole industry. That is not to say there are no real informational products that add value because of course there are but there is also a lot of bullshit.

I will take a slightly differing view with one point which was an area I also felt similar toward with TMF. This was where MJ seemed to be suggesting that it was almost impossible to become a successful entrepreneur without working a bunch of shit jobs first. I understand that was his experience, but I also think there are plenty of people who have successfully made the transition from a professional level job into entrepreneurship because that is what they wanted. This is the path I'm also trying to take and no matter how I analyze it, I just cannot see how quitting my professional high paying job to take a shit job will further my progress. This might be because my job is high paying but relatively low requirements and stress and this probably puts it in the minority of jobs. So I'm not disputing that this advice might be applicable in most cases but I don't feel it fits all.

I would agree wholeheartedly though with the section on identity. I think by far the biggest determiner of whether you succeed in making a shift to being an entrepreneur or really anything else you want in life is whether you internalize that definition as a part of your identity. If you just have "motivation" to do something or are only relying on willpower, but it is not a core part of how you define your self identity, then you will probably not continue to do that thing over the long term.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Dameron likes this.
  19. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $395,234
    Admin Post
    Now when someone says "Give me the exact steps" I can pound them over the head with my 2 lb book. :hilarious:

That's not what I meant so I guess I failed here in being more clear in my writing.

It simply means that a person is willing to do whatever it takes, including jobs that are a blow to the ego. Some folks don't need the crap job and instead get a decent job. Then the threat becomes comfort.

#nowhere, Andy Black, ZF Lee and 2 others like this.
  20. Dbbuzbee

Dbbuzbee Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $403
    @mjdemarco not sure if I've just missed it but is the audiobook up yet? Read the print copy now looking forward to devouring it in a different way hopefully pick up some new things.

Edward1975 and Mumtaz like this.
  21. Jazzcat

Jazzcat Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $443
    First read completed.

22. Determined2012

Determined2012 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,218
    This is how I was when I read TMFL in June 2012. I could not put that book down. I have it on my Kindle reader and every spare second I had I was totally immersed and consumed with reading that book.

Just found out about this book today. I can't wait to read it. If its anywhere NEAR as good as TMFL I know that it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo EPIC!!!!

23. Mckenzie

Mckenzie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $227
    Thanks MJ. YOU hit the nail on to the head...many nails onto my head...and I'm getting dizzy!
    Many years ago I was driving a shiny Mercedes Benz ML. My mother told me to sell it and drive a Toyota or Honda instead. She told me that I was too egocentric to drive such expensive car while others around me are poor......._____........????____Ever since my relationship to/with her is so estranged. I now understand why. (This is the very first time I pouring this out of my heart.)

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  24. Jeift

Jeift New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $44
    Glad I got the book a little early. Epic sequel and another instant classic.
    Thank you.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  25. IlyaP

IlyaP Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,748
    Just finished the book for the first time. Gonna take some time to absorb it and then re-read the parts I bookmarked to get them in my head.

I only have 1 question:
    Can you give me a step-by-step, foolproof way of making money online? I only have $4.99 to start because I bought a $1997 course on dropshipping t-shirts through Amazon FBA, but then I realized I needed their monthly membership for $197/month so now my money is running low.
    Oh yeah. I need to make a bunch of money preferably by the end of this month cuz rents is due and a real entrepreneur don't do jobs, ya feel?

lol all jokes aside, Unscripted is AMAZING!

I loved your failure stories (I guess I'm sadistic, sorry), the tough love (much needed), and the actual "step by step" methods of doing stuff that provides value.

The $17 I paid for this book provided 1000x more value than the "entrepreneurship and business" courses at my college. Now it's time to take action.

Thank you, MJ.

Edit: 1000x more value

Last edited: May 30, 2017

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.