• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

GOLD! I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by MJ DeMarco, May 12, 2017.

1. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,276
    On page 48, YES thank you MJ the force awakens did suck a$$!!!
    and im a fan of star wars.
    ok ok sorry back to the book, great book!
    much easier to recommend because looks like the first chunk is less about business and all about life itself.

2. loop101

loop101 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $381
    In the Kindle version, there is a chart showing the "Bandwagon Trend" and "Crowdfed Oppurtunity". It looks like the pairings for "Apps" and "Social Media" are switched. For example, I associate Apps with Ads and Analytics (now that Free apps have taken over).

3. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,867
    Exactly. That's what I've found now with both of MJ's books. A feeling of, "why the heck has nobody ever said this stuff before!" It's so obvious and MJ states it so eloquently.

4. eagleye101

eagleye101 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $1,175
    Got an email last night from MJ that the book was released on Amazon. Stayed up all night reading. Haven't finished it yet, but it's a matter of days.

Gives me the feeling that I'm reading a banned book with knowledge only available to the few.

Thank you MJ

P.S. I'm sending an email to my list to go get it (the least I can do to thank you)

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  5. Sean Marshall

Sean Marshall Independent since 2010 Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $8,867
    Agreed!!

eagleye101 and ZF Lee like this.
  6. DesignerOne.

DesignerOne. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,369
    I sat in the doctor's office while reading unscripted which downloaded onto my kindle in the morning yesterday and holy shit, I had a major major moment.

I recently got a knee operation and was excited that I was finished with it and on the road to recovery, and being able to do more. While I sat in the office I took a look around and saw so many elderly people that looked lifeless, and tired.

I realized, they were all products, and now they're sitting in doctor's offices at the end of their cycle and not enjoying life but also completely focused in material items such as designer items, the newest ipad, the best clothes.

Absolutely was a slap in the face, still got to do more reading but already devouring the pages... Great work MJ.

7. SindbadtheSailor

SindbadtheSailor Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $268
    Even better than TMF.

Everyman, jpanarra and MJ DeMarco like this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $395,234
    Admin Post
    Wow, that means a lot. Thank you!

Dameron, ZF Lee and SindbadtheSailor like this.
  9. thehighlander

thehighlander Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $327
    Bought the paperback and kindle copies. I didn't realize MJ was tuned in to the human collateral thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

10. thehighlander

Rep Bank:
    $327
    I've read up to the part about the 9 hyper realities. Many things I am reading are not news to me. The book confirms that I'm not alone... nice to know that other people see how absurd things are.

In a nutshell, many fictions exist to control behaviors, particularly to do with the generation and spending of money.

Nice job of opening people's eyes! I'm sure many unhappy people will appreciate the articulate revealing of the fictions they're stuck dealing with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    MJ DeMarco likes this.
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $395,234
    Admin Post
    MANY fictions are crafted to move money? One could argue it's ALL fictions. That's a good debate right there. ;)

ZF Lee likes this.
  12. P3HSB

P3HSB Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,055
    Read it! Gave me a deep understanding of life and entrepreneurship! And more gold GUMBALLS!:smile:

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  13. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $395,234
    Admin Post
    If I had to order the most profound messages in the book, I thnk this concept (and the EV of it) is in the top 5. Kinda surprised no one has commented on it. Makes wonder if people are reading, or skimming. :smuggy:

ZF Lee, Dylan_91, Deceiver and 2 others like this.
  14. Bellini

Bellini Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,886
    I'm actually reading it. That's why it's taking a while : )

I just finished the chapter on Hyperrealities, and when I read the paragraph about your first day at college, MJ, and your roommate's poster on the wall, I laughed with embarrassment.

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit I had that EXACT same poster on my wall when I was younger. "Justification for Higher Education" with the several exotic cars in the garage, the mansion on the seaside cliff with a sunset. What a joke.

I wish someone had grabbed a hold of me back then and shaken that nonsense out of me.

I'm looking out my window right now wondering where my Ferrari is?

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  15. thehighlander

Rep Bank:
    $327
    Ha ha, discussing this in detail would derail the thread and perhaps the forum!

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  16. MetalGear

MetalGear Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,615
    I read Unscripted and now I am going to re-read it because it is a mind funck.

My head hurts from taking the red pill MJ, you should really have a caution warning in there somewhere.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  17. thehighlander

Rep Bank:
    $327
    A meta message is that achieving the Unscripted life gave you the freedom to say what is on your mind without having to fear the reaction from politically correct employers. There are plenty of people living the scripted life who write books in their spare time but they can never express anything too controversial while they have a day job.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    MJ DeMarco likes this.
  18. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $80,288
    Read the first 12% two days ago and the remaining 88% yesterday (yeah, I spent like 6-7 hours reading yesterday). It's funny because I was able to finish it so quickly thanks to the Unscripted approach as it gave me freedom to do what I want when I want.

I think I enjoyed most the first part where you talk about being Unscripted in your everyday life. The part about entrepreneurship was extremely valuable, but since I was familiar with many of the concepts thanks to TMF, it wasn't as absorbing to read as other parts (it was still great information and I learned something new).

I found the money system part very valuable - that's something that I feel was missing in TMF. I'm hesitant to invest in paper assets because I believe it's all just some made-up stuff and it was eye-opening for me to realize that if you stick with the biggest companies and most reputable investments, if they collapse I'd better stock up on food, water, guns and ammo than delude myself that non-paper assets will be safe lol (and in the end, RE is actually also just a piece of paper indicating you're the owner, or in many cases it's not even you but the bank).

I was wondering about two things regarding your money system:

1. You talk about liquidity and say that if you can't get out quickly, you can lose like with RE in 2008, hence it's crucial to be able to liquidate in seconds. If, however, you have a long lease in place and crises don't really affect it (like a single-tenant NNN lease with a reputable, big national company), would it fit the bill for the money system as well? Obviously, you can't sell the property overnight, but its value for the purpose of the money system isn't determined by the current real estate prices but by the cashflow it generates. Or am I wrong about it?

2. Your money system vehicles are US-centric. Most of the investments you talk about in the book aren't available in my country (seriously, only dividend stocks are here as the ETFs don't offer dividends), and I assume they aren't available in many other countries, too. I understand that you primarily aim at US readers, but I was wondering what you'd suggest for international readers. Invest in the US despite taking on additional currency risk, try to find something local that would fit your seven rules, or perhaps do a mix of something local and international?

19. MortimerFox

MortimerFox Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $773
    After saying that, I was surprised to receive my copy of Unscripted yesterday, the 24th.

I'm a hundred pages in and it's pretty good so far.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  20. Rickchise23

Rickchise23 @clickpickRick I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,138
    About 62.5 pages in. Damn MJ went in on the 9-5 scripted life lol.

I rather appreciate the lack of filter when discussing the scripted life and the utter disdain for its existence. I feel like many other books in the genre will gloss over this idea while MJ certainly paints the picture of why the sidewalk and slowlane are idiotic pursuits and does not mince his words.

Excited to finish this in the next few days and this is coming at a good time for me as I am trying to "Level Up" having broke free of the script I am now beginning my wealth building quest. I'm location independent and have passive income but really need to acquire assets and more diversification of income. All in all a great read and a great time to be reading such a game changing book!

MJ DeMarco and MidwestLandlord like this.
  21. Kaleb

Kaleb Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $323
    I've finished reading my early copy of unscripted last night! So thankful for the opportunity to receive it early. Loved the book and thought it was a great tmf companion.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  22. UnrealCreative

UnrealCreative It's Only The Beginning. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,132
    Got through Chapter 10 so far.

Healthy reminder why we do what we do - and the consequences of taking the common paths.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  23. Invictus

Invictus Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,612
    Well, I finally finished Unscripted. Took me a good deal longer than I intended! I had hoped to have it done within the first few days.

So, The Millionaire Fastlane was a huge quake book for me. It shattered my notions of the world and set me on an entirely new path. Before, my dream was to be a digital nomad.

F*ck money. I wanted experiences.
    How? F*ck you, I'll figure it out on the way!

Never mind the fact that the way my mind works, I would probably suffer a breakdown a few days into my nomadic lifestyle.

TMF changed the way I thought and helped me solidify how I really wanted to live my life. Unscripted did not.

That said, TMF is largely a mindset book. The first two-thirds focus largely on the Sidewalk and Slowlane scenarios, with the latter third being more 'practical' content. You learn that you need to start a business, the commandments that business should follow, a couple of ways to manage your risk, and about your future money system.

Interestingly enough, despite all of that occurring in just the last third of the book, it still provides infinitely more information than any other business book I've read. It's really enough guidelines for you to start your business.

Still, you may benefit from looking up other books for extra information in addition to TMF. The Lean Startup, Zero to Launch, Ready Fire Aim, etc.

Or, you could just buy Unscripted.

When you first start reading, it's the good ol' explanation of Slowlane dogma and why it's bullshit. As always, a good read and a great reminder to have.

Then it morphs.

If you've ever asked (or thought of asking) "Well, just what are the exact steps?" this book is your answer.
    If you ever think about asking that question after reading, just have a friend or family member smack you in the face with it.

Unscripted takes the idea of TMF (you have to be in The Fastlane to get rich) and tells you exact-F*cking-ly how to do so. In serious detail, MJ tells you:

• How to change your mindset. Real, non-bullshit ways to do so. This F*cking book is a better self-help book than any self-help book on the market.
    • The type of business to create (an even more thorough review of the Commandments)
    • How to create that business.
    • How to maintain your lifestyle. Money system, spending habits, etc.

TMF explores most of this, but it does so in the last third of the book. Unscripted, in its entirety, explores these. It is a "How to be an entrepreneur" blueprint.

In my opinion, 3/4 of 'entrepreneurship' classes could be replaced by a mandatory reading of this book.

Unscripted Was Actually Too Much for My Reading System

You see, when I read, I mark my books. I underline important concepts, bracket sections that are good to know, and dog ear fantastic quotes or mindblowing revelations. A fantastic book will have about three things (brackets, underlining, notes, etc) on every other page. With about 5-15% of the pages dogeared.

I gave up for Unscripted.

On page 220, I wrote my last note (I still had about half the book to go). Because I realized that this book was too much for my reading system. I was already holding back underlining and marking, because if I tried to mark everything that was vital/important/a great point, then I'd have marked up half of the text on every page.

I put my pen away and decided that this book was going to need a -lot- more rereading to absorb even half the information. There was too much practical content to take away. When I come back to it, I'm gonna need a notebook and flashcards.

If You Ask "What Are the Exact Steps" After You Read Unscripted, You Might Not be Cut Out to be an Entrepreneur

Sure, you can ask specific questions. That's always good. But MJ creates such a thorough blueprint of what you need for a Fastlane Business or Lifestyle, you can't ask for anything more specific without getting steps that just might not work for you.

Is the book perfect? Probably not. I still have my post-coital glow of the reading still on me, so I am likely biased. That said, it sure as hell is better than every other book on the market. And that includes TMF.

After you read Unscripted, you do not need another business book.

Repeat after me.

After you read Unscripted, you do not need another business book.

You may find useful information in them, but you'll just be action-faking. Unscripted gives you everything you need. All immediate books after this one should be specific to you. Read this if you need more information on that.

Honestly, I could keep droning on. But I think I've made my point.

Read the F*cking book.

Edit/P.S.: A quick review of this and I realized that it may sound like I'm trashing The Millionaire Fastlane. I'm not. If Unscripted is the #1 business book, TMF is #2. It's also one of the best books on the market.

Sander, ZF Lee, craig1928 and 2 others like this.
  24. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,276
    im about 70% done with the book.
    It IS better than millionaire fastlane.

First off you jump right into the meat of it early on.
    Second you focus more on what NOT to do,how NOT to think, versus telling people what to do.
    You provide simply awesome examples for every argument.
    You don't dwell too long on any point, in fact i can tell how much thought went into chapter ordering and pacing.
    Speaking of points, you really did a great job with your selection of topics, you cover EVERYTHING, all issues, all questions, everything!
    And the best part is the tone, it really feels like you're just saying god's honest truth, real talk common sense stuff, a breath of fresh air in a world of bullshit.

Thanks MJ, I never have to spend energy explaining the fastlane thought process to anyone anymore, i can just say "read unscripted".
    How does it feel have written what should be considered the Bible?

You are a true friend of the people MJ. A comrade.

#nowhere and MJ DeMarco like this.
  25. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,956
    Yo.

This book is THICK.

I'm 77% of the way through.

I will say this: I got asked by a fellow forum member if it was just rehashings of TMF because the preview seemed that way.

It's actually a completely new take on the CENTS (CENTS in the Lambo version) principle.

Not ready for my money system quite yet but I'm soon to read about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2018
    ZF Lee and MJ DeMarco like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.