The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Is paid traffic worth it to sell books?

MakeItHappen

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 12, 2012
I am looking forward to help someone with his book publishing business.

As I have experience with paid traffic I am wondering if anyone here had a positive ROI or at least a breakeven ROI promoting books?

I thought about Amazon ads and Facebook ads.

I have a hard time seeing this work honestly, as the profit per book is so small.

Thanks!

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

MHP368

the man, the myth, the Pseudo-Apollodorus
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
well thats your answer, if the amrgins on the book dont support paying for clicks then obviously not.

Thats traditional ppc though, they also have the "shopping" dropdown , which is still paid but its my understanding that the sellers shown here are just feeding streams of information about offerings to google and if a sale occurs a cut is given to google , so as an example if you were selling on ebay you're listing would show up simply because ebay is feeding that information to google, if a sale occurs ebay pays google and that money comes from the funds ebay was already taking from you (vs you paying extra)

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
As for Facebook Ads, with a single book, it's unlikely. If you have a book series, it's possible as your LTV will be much higher.

With Amazon Ads, it's possible even for a single book but it's tricky and might not be super profitable because you'll have to bid low (meaning low volume) if the book is priced low (like any regular self-published book, below $5).

PizzaOnTheRoof

1% Better Every Day
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
The problem is super low LTV of the customer.

PPC is incredibly difficult when you’re working with thin margins like books, unless you can get get insanely cheap CPCs.

If the book is a gateway to more/bigger sales then yes, it could be viable.

I would look at cheaper/free marketing methods first.

JV/Strategic Alliance anyone?

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
... (like any regular self-published book, below $5).
you mean ebooks? i sell a few books on amazon kdp and i never priced below 10€ for softcover books.
i even sell "no content" notebooks for more than 5$

/ the advantage of ams or other ppc ads for books is that it will boost your BSR what could lead to more organic sales.

maybe try a short excerpt of your book as a video ad on facebook and then retarget the people who watched more than 50%.

use kdp select to release a free "light" version of your book. make video ad about that. retarget again.

have some sort of "code" in your book to access a membership site or download exclusive content. create look alike audience.

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
you mean ebooks? i sell a few books on amazon kdp and i never priced below 10€ for softcover books.
i even sell "no content" notebooks for more than 5$E
Yeah I mean Kindle, not physical.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
As I have experience with paid traffic I am wondering if anyone here had a positive ROI or at least a breakeven ROI promoting books?
I think the ROI comes from using the book as a trip wire / lead magnet (like on IG ... "FREE BOOK") and then leveraging the email list for bigger items.

With thin margins, I wouldn't think PPC for direct sales would be profitable, but should be a part of a larger strategy.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
I tried selling a book with FB ads years ago.

Ended up spending thousands just to make a couple hundred in sales.

LOL.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
I’ve not sold books via paid ads (yet?).

Same as anything, it will be a function of RPC and CPC, as per this video:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom