The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investing in Yourself Instead of the Markets?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
Tell me why investing in Bitcoin, Real Estate or the Stock Market is better than spending money on a mentor/teacher to increase my skills as a programmer and a successful mentor/teacher who could guide me along the entrepreneurial path to start my own business and scale it?

Isn't that a far better way to invest monthly cash?

Enlighten me, please. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Tell me why investing in Bitcoin, Real Estate or the Stock Market is better than spending money on a mentor/teacher to increase my skills as a programmer and a successful mentor/teacher who could guide me along the entrepreneurial path to start my own business and scale it?

Isn't that a far better way to invest monthly cash?

Enlighten me, please. :)

Yes

I started "investing" (using that loosely) after I became a master of one. And so have most people I've met.

You invest when you have money gathering dust in a 0.5% savings account at your local branch.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
Yes

I started "investing" (using that loosely) after I became a master of one. And so have most people I've met.

You invest when you have money gathering dust in a 0.5% savings account at your local branch.

I don't quite understand what you're saying?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
One good reason is that so called paid mentors and coaches probably aren't who you want to be... So why listen to them? And why pay them for their shitty advice? Do you really want to listen to someone that is a self proclaimed business coach?

For crying out loud... Books are cheap... I'll buy whatever book I want to read without reservations.

Beyond that... Programming is not the skill that makes your rich. I suppose if you had a great idea that needed programmed, you could invest your money in having it done for you.

Personally, I like other people investing in me more than I like doing it. I haven't had to take some crazy risk to start my businesses, not to say I wouldn't, I just haven't had to.

My money is invested in areas outside of my immediate businesses and I don't like single points of failure.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Honestly... I'll take your calls for a grand per month.

FE531C21-FF87-47A5-97DB-DCD4946B939E.jpeg

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
One good reason is that so called paid mentors and coaches probably aren't who you want to be... So why listen to them? And why pay them for their shitty advice? Do you really want to listen to someone that is a self proclaimed business coach?

For crying out loud... Books are cheap... I'll buy whatever book I want to read without reservations.

Beyond that... Programming is not the skill that makes your rich. I suppose if you had a great idea that needed programmed, you could invest your money in having it done for you.

Personally, I like other people investing in me more than I like doing it. I haven't had to take some crazy risk to start my businesses, not to say I wouldn't, I just haven't had to.

My money is invested in areas outside of my immediate businesses and I don't like single points of failure.

agreed, I would never pay just some coach who hasn't walked the walk....I get it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
agreed, I would never pay just some coach who hasn't walked the walk....I get it.

That's the key...

Ask yourself if anyone that holds themselves out as a coach is really as successful as you want to be... They are trading time for money. What is the walk? If someone walked it why are they coaching?

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
That's the key...

Ask yourself if anyone that holds themselves out as a coach is really as successful as you want to be... They are trading time for money. What is the walk? If someone walked it why are they coaching?

Yeah, I never planned on hiring some official "Coach"....I would seek out a mentor who I know is walking the walk. I see you're mocking me in another post. It's o.k.. you can't keep me down....:)

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado

How is a programmer going to get rich? You tell me. I'm not a programmer. You are trading hours for dollars.

Oh - thanks Kak - you said it better than I did.

Trading time for money. What is the walk? Again - thanks for stating that clearly Kak.

I see you're mocking me in another post. It's o.k.. you can't keep me down

You don't know how to ask a question. You have been given great insight, but you don't even know that when you see it.

As you stated, all you have to do is find a coach, build a business, and scale it. That's all.

I think I'll do that myself, too.

Now that you have your plan, and you know what trading dollars for hours is, you can ask a direct question - for example, how would I franchise a pet store in multiple states. That is so much more precise than how do I start and scale a business to get rich.

That's why you haven't received an answer you like. But you have received very good advice.

It is obvious you don't know the concepts of the book this forum is founded on. The Millionaire Fastlane . Read that book. It will reprogram your mind, and you can ask meaningful direct questions.

I have been a rabid (yes rabid) fan of Kak. He calls things the way they are. He offers advice that is directly to the point. But he doesn't mock anyone. If you don't want to hear quality advice, this is not the place for you.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
He means that it's better to invest your spare money into something that gives you better returns that it sitting in a bank getting old & moldy.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yeah, I never planned on hiring some official "Coach"....I would seek out a mentor who I know is walking the walk. I see you're mocking me in another post. It's o.k.. you can't keep me down....:)

Just giving you shit. It's what the people want and I'm a man of the people.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How is a programmer going to get rich? You tell me. I'm not a programmer. You are trading hours for dollars.

Trading time for money. What is the walk? Again - thanks for stating that clearly Kak.

You don't know how to ask a question. You have been given great insight, but you don't even know that when you see it.

As you stated, all you have to do is find a coach, build a business, and scale it. That's all.

Now that you have your plan, and you know what trading dollars for hours is, you can ask a direct question - for example, how would I franchise a pet store in multiple states. That is so much more precise than how do I start and scale a business to get rich.

That's why you haven't received an answer you like. But you have received very good advice.

It is obvious you don't know the concepts of the book this forum is founded on. The Millionaire Fastlane . Read that book. It will reprogram your mind, and you can ask meaningful direct questions.

I have been a rabid (yes rabid) fan of Kak. He calls things the way they are. He offers advice that is directly to the point. But he doesn't mock anyone. If you don't want to hear quality advice, this is not the place for you.

F*cking kiss a$$.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston

I'll decide if this is the place for me, not you.

Secondly, I appreciate Kak's advice. I've already stated previously TMFL and Unscripted have been great....The books have already changed my thinking and how I've offered to solve a problem for therapists who HATE trying to get signed up to insurance panels.

So that's a start...I'm trying to find ways to provide value while using my web dev skills and running ideas through CENTS. Truly exciting stuff.

I may even solve a problem for you one day and you might not even know it's me.

Anyway, I'll ask questions and continue to learn from the books.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Learn everything you can about 1 thing that can make you money. Buy books. Buy memberships. Mentorships. Go experiment. Figure out new and better ways to do what your target market wants.

You'll get so good at this, you'll end up in the top 20% of the providers. (It's easier than you think. Most people suck)

This will take up all of your time. Your 10k hours.

And as you grow, your money starts piling up. There are no more books to buy. No more mentors to seek out.

You are the source of value now.

But while you were learning and expanding, you started piling up cash faster than you could use to invest in yourself.

This is where you move it into some sort of income producing asset or financial instrument. And that's a conversation for another day.

Check out Mastery by Robert Greene. Specifically the section on mentorships and learning skills.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
Learn everything you can about 1 thing that can make you money. Buy books. Buy memberships. Mentorships. Go experiment. Figure out new and better ways to do what your target market wants.

You'll get so good at this, you'll end up in the top 20% of the providers. (It's easier than you think. Most people suck)

And as you grow, your money starts piling up. There are no more books to buy. No more mentors to seek out.

But while you were learning and expanding, you started piling up cash faster than you could use to invest in yourself.

This is where you move it into some sort of income producing asset or financial instrument. And that's a conversation for another day.

Check out Mastery by Robert Greene. Specifically the section on mentorships and learning skills.

Ahhh yes, makes sense. That's kinda what I'm doing by practicing my web dev skills every day(taking courses on it) and building small apps to help people solve problems. Does that make sense?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ahhh yes, makes sense. That's kinda what I'm doing by practicing my web dev skills every day(taking courses on it) and building small apps to help people solve problems. Does that make sense?

What do you want out of entrepreneurship? What are your business goals?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

Haha this should be featured.

This.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'll decide if this is the place for me, not you.

Never met anyone from York that I didn't like. Just was out last night with my buddy Mike. He's full blooded York, AND full blooded Italian. Lethal. If life is a pizza, those York people are the spice. Mike could teach you how to insult someone, or toot your own horn, AND make yourself look superior at the same time. You have a ways to go to be reach that level - this, um, didn't work.

Secondly, I appreciate Kak's advice. I've already stated previously TMFL and Unscripted have been great....The books have already changed my thinking and how I've offered to solve a problem for therapists who HATE trying to get signed up to insurance panels.

Two key words you need to know: administrative support. Therapists, and almost everyone else, have people that provide that. My people take care of issues that are non-income producing "overhead." That's just business. Everyone deals with it - nobody hates it - it is what it is.

Yep. Eventually, there are no more apps - no more books - no more tech support people to sell you software and hold your hand. Eventually, you are on your own.

Nope.

I use about a dozen programs. The high powered ones I use most are Quickbooks and Excel. I'm not going to buy a app to do something these programs won't do. If these programs can't do what I need, then I have to change MY system. And I have. Adapt and survive - two more VERY key words to be aware of every day.

BUT, if I did need an app, I wouldn't even buy one. I'd buy the full powered commercial program that does it the right way. I've used apps. One worked really great. The others were an exercise in frustration, so I don't waste my time on some $4.99 quick fix. I have a business to run. I pay for professional programs, and even some of them are flawed. I'm sure not going to go "down" the ladder and use anything simpler or cheaper. I need all the horsepower I can get - and I want solid results. That's the point of business. I'm not doing this for fun.

I'm also not going to waste my time on frivolous things, like building small apps (I don't do apps, I'm just using that as an example). Business is like a grocery store. I want meat - I go to the meat dept - I want spaghetti sauce - I know where to find it. Whatever I need for my business, I can find very easily - especially in this day and age of the internet. So I buy it and start putting it to use. I don't want to be the best bookkeeper. Why should I? My time is more valuable than that. I'll hire that out.

I run the train that is my business. I don't load the freight, or fill the fuel, or perform the maintenance. I run the entire train though, even though I don't do a lot of the hands on work.

Now you have another decision to make. You have to decide if you want to be a better programmer and make small apps, or if you want to be the man in charge.

So much to do to simply make a business and scale it. It's all so easy when you know your role though.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.