The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro, AMA, and a Recent Sale for $6M of InvestorJunkie.com

AceResponder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 15, 2015
@lludwig Congratulations on completing your process and creating an event.

Also I have loads of online experience, investment experience and a talent stack of writing, tech guru, SEO, SEM, and affiliate marketing. Seeing if I could help anyone who needs help in those areas.

Do you have any recommendations to learn SEO online?
There are a couple that I have found while reading other posts.
Ultimate eCommerce SEO Guide | A 15-Minute Crash Course
SEO: The Beginner's Guide to Search Engine Optimization from Moz

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceResponder

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Oct 15, 2015
In my opinion, this is basic sh*t. SEO is MUCH MUCH MUCH more complex than what is described in these tutorials.

These "tricks" really applied much more so a few years ago. While technical SEO is important, it is easy to understand.

Today I would recommend reading Google Search Guidelines. Read it. Then read it again. Study it. Know it!

https://static.googleusercontent.co...s/assets/searchqualityevaluatorguidelines.pdf

Google uses the data from their manual raters to create into algo form.

Once you read Google's doc, these types of articles will make more sense to you then.

The September 27, 2018 Google Algorithm Update And October 4 Tremor – Google Experiments, Relevance, Trust Signals, Reversals, and 'Staying in your lane'

The September 27 - early October algorithm update was likely about Google’s ability to assess trust - Marie Haynes Consulting

Thank you for the quick response and recommendation. This sure does help. I will start reading it and learn it and get back to you to learn more ;)

SEO, like the sale of my business, isn't an event in itself but a process.
I understand :)

Thank you!

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Hi @lludwig Congratulations for the sale and thanks for answering the many questions. If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us how was your site valued? Roughly what TTM multiple did you get? I understand if you don't want to share, but I would really love to know.

I have a tech website which makes a little bit which I could potentially scale. However I am always in a dilemma whether to invest my full time to it. I have another separate business which does decently so I am always postponing working on this site. A rough idea of how much I could potentially sell this for might just be the motivation I need... :) Thanks.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Per my NDA I cannot disclose the multiple.

It depends upon the site and other factors as well.

There are companies that can help in valuation, but ultimately it's is whatever someone wants to pay.
Yes I thought that might be in the NDA :) But thanks anyways...

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
First of all, congratulations! $6M for an informational website is really great!

Two short question: Are the pre-sale traffic numbers of Investment Junkie also covered by the NDA?
And did you really only monetize through affiliate marketing?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Awesome job! Really digging your UI on some custom pages... You guys are seriously above the fold compared to a lot of benchmarks.

Not sure if this is appropriate or not, but was this bread to sell from the beginning? If not, can you comment on why you guys didn't delve into product creation to inch up on the totem pole a bit, instead of just relying on third party monetization?

I see other P2P/investing/similar vertical blogs doing fairly well by offering products and services. Curious if this is something you experimented with and it didn't go well, or just wasn't part of your master plan from the get go.

If that isn't something you'd prefer to talk about, how about these two:

1. What's the one thing you'd do differently if you were building Investor Junkie today?
  2. What's the one thing you'd do exactly the same if you were building Investor Junkie all over again?

Thanks for doing the thread, excellent job with the site!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
So what's next? I really don't know. While exciting also nervous as I typically have a clear direction of what I would do next. I have some ideas but joined this forum to look at other business ideas.

And how is it going? Working on a new business or just enjoying your transition phase?

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
@lludwig, congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story!

This whole thread is inspirational and helps me realize that it can be done.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Based upon the competition SEO for this space is much much harder than when I started. With now companies like The Wire Cutter and The Motley Fool entering this space. Plus with the company acquired Investor Junkie owning first, second and third position search position, it is becoming increasingly harder to compete. SEM, push notifications, social media (including messaging) are the way to go. Though for affiliate marketing in most cases SEO is a cheaper alternative. Otherwise with paid ads you are playing an arbitrage game. Though on the plus side it's easy to turn on and turn off and know immediate results if you are hanging your ladder on the right wall.

Question that you probably know...

What is the terminology for an affiliate program that you implement at the registration page? (Click here to be sent an offer by XYZ company.)

I know it's done a lot in the financial space, but for the life of me I cannot remember the official term.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Hi All,

First-time poster but has lurked on this forum for a while and have read both MJ DeMarco's books. I've been a business owner in some form since 1997. My first business was web hosting and web development.

I didn't know it at the time, but perhaps one of the worst businesses to be in. Low margins, low barrier to entry, and always need to respond to tech support 24/7. I was stressed out, burnt out and looking to do something else.

In December 2009 I got sick of developing and hosting websites for other customers (two of them at the time was Comedy Central and Thought Catalog). My thought was why can't I develop a site like this and generate revenue from the visitors?!??

Something at that time just snapped for me. I couldn't deal with a high workload and the stress of customer support.

I also was doing somewhat ok financially and had all my ducks in a row. I was looking for a website that could help speak to me about investing and more the advanced topics. Money magazine and Suze Orman weren't cutting it for me and way more advanced than that.

So I figured I would create one myself and named it Investor Junkie. So while somewhat self-serving also had plenty of experience to talk about investing.

Plus I figured I could use it to showcase the technology created to develop and maintain it. It could be used as a selling point for my web development and design. I would monetize via affiliate marketing was my plan.

This little skunkworks operation turned into a business onto itself after 2 years into it. It started generating more revenue and was much more profitable than my original business.

Fast forward to July 2018 I sold Investor Junkie for $6M.

XLMedia Buys Personal Finance Site InvestorJunkie For USD6 Million

About 3 years ago read MJ's first book and even with my years of business experience got a lot out it. He confirmed many of my existing beliefs of owning a business and organized it in way much better than I ever could.

MJ's books gave me more direction and helped keep me more focused on the ball. So thanks for this.

To celebrate the sale I bought one thing. Ever since I was around 8 years old I saw my first Porsche Turbo in the Hamptons and fell in love with the car. I always wanted one. So I bought a 2015 991.1 Turbo S as a little present for me. It was purely symbolic. I could have afforded it long ago, but I figured I needed some reward after all the long days and stressors of owning a business.

View attachment 20956

So what's next? I really don't know. While exciting also nervous as I typically have a clear direction of what I would do next. I have some ideas but joined this forum to look at other business ideas.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks to MJ DeMarco for your books.

Woah! Thanks for the insight on the hosting and development industry that you got out of. Funny that I was actually heading down this same path, but you sharing your experience will surely help my journey. Congratulations on your success, and welcome to the forum.

Carlitosway

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 18, 2018
An interesting thing I gathered from an investment only website which others on the forum may appreciate.

I had an active interest in investing when I created Investor Junkie. I didn't care about getting out of debt websites, which most personal finance blogs are about. When I started, I never really thought about why that was the case though.

I think Investor Junkie, while is great and still can grow, is somewhat limited in size because it focused ONLY on investing. Whereas debt based sites typically do much more revenue if executed right. They generate much much more traffic and have a mass appeal audience. Its great Investor Junkie is being pooled in with other websites, so they can sell ad and affiliate revenue to a much bigger pool of readers.

Nerdwallet comes to mind and their $60M in annual revenues from last count. While they compete in the investment review space with me, most of their revenue comes from debt refinancing. I can estimate their investment revenue is around $2-3M/year if that.

Recently another site was sold, Student Loan Hero for $60M. A site to help students refinance their student debt.

My theory of why this is the case is because our economy is debt based. Our society is massively in debt and most don't have much money to invest. Therefore you are limited by how much traffic you can generate compared to a debt-based website.

As a business, debt based businesses (ie credit card company) are much more profitable than investment based businesses (ie brokerage firm). Which makes me actively wonder if I should focus on something in that space for my next business venture.

Bottom line, debt-based businesses generate more revenue than investment based.

Wow really strong insight

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
I like to think businesses are the adult version of LEGO

This is why I can't wait to sell my first biz, or at least get a biz to the point where it's making an enormous amount of money

More than any material things, I just want the ability to create whatever is in my imagination...

I just want enough $$$ to be limitless (within reason)

If I woke up one day and wanted to make the best amusement park ever, I want to have enough $$$ to just get on the phone and start calling roller coaster guys lol

timos

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 21, 2017
Greece
In this case, they contacted me. Though I knew of a broker (and spoke with quite a bit to previously) that has done many of the deals in this space. I also knew the buyers of my site have used that broker for other purchases.
That was a quick response :D

Thanks.

I see. Awesome. You saved 10 to 15% which is a lot of money in this case.
I've sold few websites myself in the past but always through a broker...

Good luck in your next ventures.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
That was a quick response :D

Thanks.

I see. Awesome. You saved 10 to 15% which is a lot of money in this case.
I've sold few websites myself in the past but always through a broker...

Good luck in your next ventures.

I could have probably gotten a higher offer with a broker, but meh it more than likely was a wash.

I knew relatively what the price was and could negotiate the deal myself, I didn't see what value they could add in this case. If say the deal fell through, they did have a pool of other possible buyers which then it would have made sense to contact them.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
The latest update is I just released my SEO for Writers Course.

Obviously, the target market is content creators, writers and editors. From my research, they are a market underserved in the courses out there. Most of which are only on the technical side of SEO. Since they are writers by very nature not as technical, but yet need help with SEO and how their content can be found on the Internet.

Interesting approach. I expected to see your face through some part of the course.

You sir, are an incredibly good executor. That is the #1 takeaway I got from this whole deal.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Since this thread is alive again, I just did an interview on a podcast where some of the questions can be answered around SEO and affiliate marketing.

Currently listening to the podcast. Amazing story and hope to learn from you!

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Interesting approach. I expected to see your face through some part of the course.

On the VSL I plan on using video of me, but not ready for that yet and wanted to get a version out to test some of the key selling points.

Sometimes you just have to ship it, than trying to make it perfect. There are many things I want to add/improve but let me start with something and get more feedback from my audience.

I've very iterative in my approach to building something. Make constant 1% improvements.

As far as the course, IMHO it's easier to produce a slideshow than live video.

Plus if I can easily change/add/edit sections to improve on it without a big production again. I've already changed sections of the course and it was much quicker.

As the course becomes more solidified, I may think about introducing live-action video in it.

Last edited:

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Hello Larry,
i have one question for you.
When you started your site, how did you manage all your internal links? Can you recommend any tools to keep an overview?
I have a personal finance site with about 250 articles and i only rely on my memories and feeling to set up the internal link structure. I know that is far from good so i would appreciate any tips about that.

Thank you

Map them in an excel sheet.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Dug into lludwig's course a few days ago and I've been taking notes.

I was a little concerned it would be too entry-level for me based on the sales page, but I'd already taken notes on all his posts on the forum and was eager to pick his brain a bit more without pestering him for free info - jumping onto a paid program of his seemed the appropriate way to do that. Plus figured the Facebook group will end up being great value on its own.

Anyhow, been through first couple lessons: the content is solid and he has a good style of breaking things down. even for things I sort of knew already he always adds a little extra spin that makes it worthwhile. Which makes perfect sense given how entrenched he was in his big project the past few years.

Looking forward to digging into the next videos. Research is up next and definitely imagine he'll have some solid insights to offer there.

No affiliation in case anyone's wondering.

Thanks for the comment!

Interesting, so you think the landing page is targeting beginners, yet the course you consider mid-level?

Obviously, that's a problem in my sales copy then.

-L

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Map them in an excel sheet.

I didn't do anything special other to manage the linkage.

I DID use tools to monitor any broken links, but I assume that's not what you are asking.

For monitoring links I used:
- Wordpress plugin Redirection
- On MacOS I used Integrity Pro
- Screaming Frog is another one as well.

Last edited:

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Let me give you an example:
The first page for a new reader may be: "What are Stocks" that leads to "How to buy stocks" which leads to "how to open a brokerage account" and after that he goes to one of the reviews or comparisons. How do you handle these funnels and organize these funnels with more than 1.000 different articles? Do you know what i mean?

Yes I understand. No I didn't manually map them out in any system.

Though I did have the popular ones tracked in my analytics service Woopra.

Plus I could have a Journey report showing me the popular paths a visitor took to a conversion.

Attached is a sample Journey report for a customer of mine.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
@lludwig

If you were to start a project of a similar scope like Investor Junkie today, how would you decide which project to pursue?

It would look at the marketplace and determine where are their opportunities available.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
How you got traffic to your site? Any tips on getting free organic traffic?

see my AMA on SEO. If you have a specific question. Ask it there!

kk.darko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Feb 11, 2022
I've been a business owner in some form since 1997.

My first business was web hosting and web development.

I didn't know it at the time, but perhaps one of the worst businesses to be in.

Low margins, low barrier to entry, and you need to respond to tech support 24/7.

In December 2009 I got sick of developing and hosting websites for other customers. Two of them at the time was Comedy Central and Thought Catalog.

I was stressed out, burnt out and looking to do something else. I felt unappreciated by my customers for the long hours and what I thought was low revenue for the work.

*** UPDATE: For more of the back story with my web hosting business, read this article. ***

Something at that time just snapped for me. I had my FTE (f*ck This Event) even though I already owned a business for many years.

I couldn't deal with a high workload and the stress of customer support.

I got to thinking "why can't I develop a site for myself and generate revenue from the visitors?!??"

At the time, I was doing somewhat ok financially and had all my ducks in a row.

I was looking for a website that could help speak to me about investing, but more the advanced topics. Money magazine and Suze Orman weren't cutting it and I was way more advanced than that. I couldn't find a site that fit my needs.

So I figured I would create one myself and named it Investor Junkie. So while somewhat self-serving, I also had plenty of experience to talk about investing.

Plus I figured I could use it to showcase the technology used to develop and maintain it.

It could be used as a selling point for my web development and design. My thinking was I would monetize via affiliate marketing. I saw a few other websites doing it and doing quite well.

In 2008, the website Bankaholic sold for $15 million to Bankrate. They made their money only with affiliate links. My thoughts were "why couldn't that also be me?"

This little skunkworks operation turned into a business onto itself after 2 years into it.

It started generating more revenue and was much more profitable than my original business.

Fast forward to July 2018, I sold Investor Junkie for $6M.

XLMedia Buys Personal Finance Site InvestorJunkie For USD6 Million

About 3 years prior, I read MJ's first book and even with my years of business experience got a lot out it.

He confirmed many of my existing beliefs of owning a business and organized it in a way much better than I ever could.

MJ's books gave me more direction and helped keep me more focused on the ball. So thanks for this.

To celebrate the sale I bought one thing. Ever since I was around 8 years old I saw my first Porsche Turbo in the Hamptons and fell in love with the car. I always wanted one. So I bought a 2015 991.1 Turbo S as a little present for me. It was purely symbolic. I could have afforded it long ago, but I figured I needed some reward after all the long days and stressors of owning a business.

View attachment 20956

Thanks for the welcome and thanks to MJ DeMarco for your books.
Congratulations on your success. You're an inspiration.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...