The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro, AMA, and a Recent Sale for $6M of InvestorJunkie.com

BGPro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 29, 2019
Which professionals did your team form? And what did you do as a technician on the site?
Thanks again :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Which professionals did your team form? And what did you do as a technician on the site?
Thanks again :)

I had:
  • Writers
  • Editors
  • Designers
  • Programmers
  • SEO Consultant
  • Affiliate manager
The second question is too vague.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Since this thread is alive again, I just did an interview on a podcast where some of the questions can be answered around SEO and affiliate marketing.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
The latest update is I just released my SEO for Writers Course.

Obviously, the target market is content creators, writers, and editors. From my research, they are a market underserved in the courses out there. Most of which are only on the technical side of SEO. Since they are writers by very nature not as technical, but yet need help with SEO and how their content can be found on the Internet.

Last edited:

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
The latest update is I just released my SEO for Writers Course.

Obviously, the target market is content creators, writers and editors. From my research, they are a market underserved in the courses out there. Most of which are only on the technical side of SEO. Since they are writers by very nature not as technical, but yet need help with SEO and how their content can be found on the Internet.

Interesting approach. I expected to see your face through some part of the course.

You sir, are an incredibly good executor. That is the #1 takeaway I got from this whole deal.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Since this thread is alive again, I just did an interview on a podcast where some of the questions can be answered around SEO and affiliate marketing.

Currently listening to the podcast. Amazing story and hope to learn from you!

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Interesting approach. I expected to see your face through some part of the course.

On the VSL I plan on using video of me, but not ready for that yet and wanted to get a version out to test some of the key selling points.

Sometimes you just have to ship it, than trying to make it perfect. There are many things I want to add/improve but let me start with something and get more feedback from my audience.

I've very iterative in my approach to building something. Make constant 1% improvements.

As far as the course, IMHO it's easier to produce a slideshow than live video.

Plus if I can easily change/add/edit sections to improve on it without a big production again. I've already changed sections of the course and it was much quicker.

As the course becomes more solidified, I may think about introducing live-action video in it.

Last edited:

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
You sir, are an incredibly good executor. That is the #1 takeaway I got from this whole deal.

What matters isn't how unique your idea is, but how well you execute on it :)

Last edited:

thedragon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 24, 2019
India
Congrats on your big break. Happy for you. I had a question about the website since I want to work on a similar idea for my market.

How much content did you have on InvestorJunkie when you sold it?

I see it mainly has pages which have tutorials, review, comparisons, etc. What would the number of content pieces (~ pages) you had at the time you sold it?

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Congrats on your big break. Happy for you. I had a question about the website since I want to work on a similar idea for my market.

How much content did you have on InvestorJunkie when you sold it?

I see it mainly has pages which have tutorials, review, comparisons, etc. What would the number of content pieces (~ pages) you had at the time you sold it?

I believe we had around 1300 pages/post at the time of sale.

Though don't think that's a KPI I would measure.

thedragon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 24, 2019
India
I believe we had around 1300 pages/post at the time of sale.

Though don't think that's a KPI I would measure.
Thank you. I mainly wanted to get an idea of the work required to get there (I realize it's not directly proportional to it).

How much were you making by affiliate commissions at that time? Sorry if this has been asked before.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
How much were you making by affiliate commissions at that time? Sorry if this has been asked before.

I can't disclose this info because of my NDA agreement.

I can disclose I sold for $6M since that's public info, but can't reveal the monthly revenue the site made (as much as I would want to).

PeterKN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 1, 2019
Hello Larry,
i have one question for you.
When you started your site, how did you manage all your internal links? Can you recommend any tools to keep an overview?
I have a personal finance site with about 250 articles and i only rely on my memories and feeling to set up the internal link structure. I know that is far from good so i would appreciate any tips about that.

Thank you

happiness2go

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 21, 2018
Germany
Hello Larry,
i have one question for you.
When you started your site, how did you manage all your internal links? Can you recommend any tools to keep an overview?
I have a personal finance site with about 250 articles and i only rely on my memories and feeling to set up the internal link structure. I know that is far from good so i would appreciate any tips about that.

Thank you

Map them in an excel sheet.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Dug into lludwig's course a few days ago and I've been taking notes.

I was a little concerned it would be too entry-level for me based on the sales page, but I'd already taken notes on all his posts on the forum and was eager to pick his brain a bit more without pestering him for free info - jumping onto a paid program of his seemed the appropriate way to do that. Plus figured the Facebook group will end up being great value on its own.

Anyhow, been through first couple lessons: the content is solid and he has a good style of breaking things down. even for things I sort of knew already he always adds a little extra spin that makes it worthwhile. Which makes perfect sense given how entrenched he was in his big project the past few years.

Looking forward to digging into the next videos. Research is up next and definitely imagine he'll have some solid insights to offer there.

No affiliation in case anyone's wondering.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Dug into lludwig's course a few days ago and I've been taking notes.

I was a little concerned it would be too entry-level for me based on the sales page, but I'd already taken notes on all his posts on the forum and was eager to pick his brain a bit more without pestering him for free info - jumping onto a paid program of his seemed the appropriate way to do that. Plus figured the Facebook group will end up being great value on its own.

Anyhow, been through first couple lessons: the content is solid and he has a good style of breaking things down. even for things I sort of knew already he always adds a little extra spin that makes it worthwhile. Which makes perfect sense given how entrenched he was in his big project the past few years.

Looking forward to digging into the next videos. Research is up next and definitely imagine he'll have some solid insights to offer there.

No affiliation in case anyone's wondering.

Thanks for the comment!

Interesting, so you think the landing page is targeting beginners, yet the course you consider mid-level?

Obviously, that's a problem in my sales copy then.

-L

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Thanks for the comment!

Interesting, so you think the landing page is targeting beginners, yet the course you consider mid-level?

Obviously, that's a problem in my sales copy then.

-L

You're welcome! Yeah, I think some nice juicy bullets would do a good job of offering a bit more info on what's inside too. I'm a copywriter too, so feel free to hit me up via pm if you want me to provide a little no-strings-attached feedback. You're clearly a solid writer but sometimes it's tough to see things 100% clearly from the inside looking out. Happy to expand on my thoughts if you like.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Map them in an excel sheet.

I didn't do anything special other to manage the linkage.

I DID use tools to monitor any broken links, but I assume that's not what you are asking.

For monitoring links I used:
- Wordpress plugin Redirection
- On MacOS I used Integrity Pro
- Screaming Frog is another one as well.

Last edited:

PeterKN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 1, 2019
I didn't do anything special other to manage the linkage.

I DID use tools to monitor any broken links, but I assume that's not what you are asking.

For monitoring links I used:
- Wordpress plugin Redirection
- On MacOS I used Integrity Pro
- Screaming Frog is another one as well.
Thank you for your fast reply.
My question lead to confusions. I will try it again.
It is not about the internal linking per se, it is more about the funnels. How do you overlook all the different funnels?

Let me give you an example:
The first page for a new reader may be: "What are Stocks" that leads to "How to buy stocks" which leads to "how to open a brokerage account" and after that he goes to one of the reviews or comparisons. How do you handle these funnels and organize these funnels with more than 1.000 different articles? Do you know what i mean?

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Let me give you an example:
The first page for a new reader may be: "What are Stocks" that leads to "How to buy stocks" which leads to "how to open a brokerage account" and after that he goes to one of the reviews or comparisons. How do you handle these funnels and organize these funnels with more than 1.000 different articles? Do you know what i mean?

Yes I understand. No I didn't manually map them out in any system.

Though I did have the popular ones tracked in my analytics service Woopra.

Plus I could have a Journey report showing me the popular paths a visitor took to a conversion.

Attached is a sample Journey report for a customer of mine.

PeterKN

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 1, 2019
Yes I understand. No I didn't manually map them out in any system.

Though I did have the popular ones tracked in my analytics service Woopra.

Plus I could have a Journey report showing me the popular paths a visitor took to a conversion.

Attached is a sample Journey report for a customer of mine.

View attachment 26907
Awesome, thank you!

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
@lludwig

If you were to start a project of a similar scope like Investor Junkie today, how would you decide which project to pursue?

It would look at the marketplace and determine where are their opportunities available.

mdmetelus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 15, 2019
Queens, New York
@lludwig
Wow, Really cool cite and content. You clearly deserve the success you've reached, and thank you for sharing your experience with us .
If you don't mind my asking, what tech stack do you use to build inverstorjunkie? and can you share any insights from that perspective for the more technically incline.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
@lludwig
Wow, Really cool cite and content. You clearly deserve the success you've reached, and thank you for sharing your experience with us .
If you don't mind my asking, what tech stack do you use to build inverstorjunkie? and can you share any insights from that perspective for the more technically incline.

Thanks.

A long list of tech. Some custom developed. What specifically do you want to know about?

For the custom work, we built it out to help aid in maintaining the content on the website. Each review stored the metadata for the service. So only in one place did we need to update the content. Everywhere else on the site automatically updated to reflect this new information.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
@lludwig

If you were to start a project of a similar scope like Investor Junkie today, how would you decide which project to pursue?

I guess I would start out how much interest is in that said topic but doing keyword research in Ahrefs and Google Trends. I would figure out how the popularity of the topic from SEO tools but doesn't mean I would only focus on SEO. It would be more of a zeitgeist.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Bump...

I'm on another podcast and go into more detail about how I monetized and tracked affiliate links at Investor Junkie.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...