The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm torn.

MatthewPL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 5, 2015
Poland, Poznan
Hi Fastlaners.

I'm 21 now and I torn between starting company and competitive bodybuilding.

Running company is path which MJ recommend in his book.

Bodybuilding is my passion and time is running so I can't wait to my 30's when I'm start competing (path which doesn't recommend by MJ).

Both things require a lot of hard work and sacrifice.

Is any way to combine this together?

P.S: Currently I work as a courier, my boss assured me of shorter working hours, but he lied. Last week I worked from 6 a.m to 8-9 p.m.

I do not want someone to make decisions but find out what do you think.

Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hi Fastlaners.

Bodybuilding is my passion and time is running so I can't wait to my 30's when I'm start competing (path which doesn't recommend by MJ).

P.S: Currently I work as a courier, my boss assured me of shorter working hours, but he lied. Last week I worked from 6 a.m to 8-9 p.m.

Cheers.

Nobody can possibly answer this question for you. Only you can ultimately make the decision, and you have already turned over all the variables in your head more than we ever will.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Maybe I'm not the best person to gove advice on this, but you can start your own business anytime. At least you know the difference between fastlane and slowlane. If you are passionate about the bodybuilding I say go for it now when you are young.

Madhu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Sep 9, 2015
A lot of the skills you would gain in competitive bodybuilding would be invaluable for starting a business. You would also gain insights to pain points in the bodybuilding industry and would build up a reputation and a network of connections.

So although you would not be able to start a business straight away, when you did start you would probably have a big leg up.

Another thing you could do is start a blog/vlog and document your journey of becoming a bodybuilder. You could share tips and advice and have a signup email newsletter. That way, you will build up a mailing list over time, which is something most businesses spend many years struggling with. Doing blogging/vlogging is a bit of a chore in the beginning but you will get efficient quickly. The reputation you gain will probably help greatly with both body building and a business, so you would be combining the too.

Personally, I would go for the business. The reason? With bodybuilding everything rides on you. If you fall ill or get injured, then the bodybuilding is over (or least slows down). With a business, initially everything rides on you, but you can engineer it so that the business runs without you being the central element.
But I am biased, as I don't really like sports. If I had a passion for sports, then I might view it differently.

MatthewPL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 5, 2015
Poland, Poznan
The only problem is that I want freedom as much as follow my passion and I don't know how can I do that at the same time with full time job.

I think over finding another job (8h daily).

Now I work in certain days about 13-15h a day...

@Vigilante Could you advise me?

Thanks for your responses.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Why not create a business in the bodybuilding vertical? Then you can work on both at the same time.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The only problem is that I want freedom as much as follow my passion and I don't know how can I do that at the same time with full time job.

Nope. Part of the thrill of the journey is finding your way. Your whole life is about to unfold before you. Go get it.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
This is a tough one for sure and I agree with @Vigilante in that you will decide yourself what to do. I will offer only my personal experiences.

I was around the bodybuilding scene for probably 15 yrs. I did compete once and did well but decided the payoff wasn't worth the effort, time, and investment to continue. Of the hundreds of bodybuilders I've know, I know only one that is successful with his own business. (he own/runs a cross fit style gym). There may be more I'm unaware of.

I believe the odds of being a successful entrepreneur via bodybuilding are very, very low versus going into business for yourself outside the sport. Bodybuilding is centered around you. Focus is on you. Business is the opposite. The focus is on others and how you can help them. Do that successfully and the money follows.

I don't want to discourage you or show favor for either path. This is just my experience and opinion.

Good luck with this. Don't be afraid to fail...it's a good thing.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Just remember to be grateful.

You're of sound mind and body, have a job, and likely aren't in imminent danger.

I got pulled up the last time I said I had a "problem" choosing between option A and option B.

A first world problem isn't a problem compared to what most of the world's population has to contend with.

Work your way through it.

Remember it's not life or death.

And enjoy your journey.

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
It's not an "this or that" situation.

Fitness can work synergistically with business.

There are a massive amount of bodybuilders who make a killing documenting their approach to fitness and selling advice/coaching.

Why not look into that?

At the same time, there is a massive amount of bodybuilders and fitness pros out there who suck at business so um...don't do that.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hi Fastlaners.

Cheers.

Let's see how well this works over a forum...
Go inside and try in vain to have the same problem.
It was a terrible problem, wasn’t it?
You want to make changes haven’t you?...
What would it be like when you have made those changes, now?
In the future as you look back and see what it was like to have had that problem...as you think about it now, if you could make this change for yourself so that you could STOP...having made that change and see yourself now.
Do you like the way you look if you could make that change and look back at yourself having made that change now!

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
You should know that bodybuilding is one of the most EXPENSIVE hobbies there are out there. You have to eat an enormous amount of food, time your food, work out consistently and most pro bodybuilders use expensive steroids. Unless you can market yourself in bodybuilding and sell a lot of products then you're going to lose a lot of money.

MatthewPL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 5, 2015
Poland, Poznan
Just remember to be grateful.

You're of sound mind and body, have a job, and likely aren't in imminent danger.

I got pulled up the last time I said I had a "problem" choosing between option A and option B.

A first world problem isn't a problem compared to what most of the world's population has to contend with.

Work your way through it.

Remember it's not life or death.

And enjoy your journey.

You and @Vigilante are very smart and experienced.

Maybe each of us must find your own path to succeed.

I'm very grateful for spare yours time to me and others too.

Yours posts give a lot of thoughts.

@Bigguns50 @JohnZ123 I know that bodybuilding is one of most expensive sports and has little rate of return if any.

I thought I can organise seminars maybe in digital form, make own clothes line, gadgets, personal trainings etc. in future, or something different if need be.

@AndrewNC at best I can succeed or fail in both cases but in both cases I can regret my decision.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I say start with bodybuilding first, since you are young and more likely to get into shape. Athletes are best at their primes, not when they're old.

Do you need your current job? If not, then what are some ways you can cut out expenses so you can devote more time to your passion?

Zl1996

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Mar 25, 2015
Stan Efferding built a business and was a bodybuilder. He started his business after he was done with competing though.

My recommendation is to do one thing at a time; follow in his footsteps.

ThinkDifferent

Banned
Read Fastlane!
Oct 1, 2015
Amsterdam
Bodybuilding isnt healthy for your body.
Id keep working out, you can work out every morning before work.

If you LOVE bodybuilding then why not do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MatthewPL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 5, 2015
Poland, Poznan
I say start with bodybuilding first, since you are young and more likely to get into shape. Athletes are best at their primes, not when they're old.

Do you need your current job? If not, then what are some ways you can cut out expenses so you can devote more time to your passion?

I don't need current job. I can search something different in normal working hours and get paid little less than now. I thougt about Customer Advisor or something like that.

Currently I earn ~2500 PLN and my basic expenses are equal to ~1150 PLN (house (live in parents house), food, phone, car). In some months is ~1700 PLN when I must pay insurance or repair my car. I don't buy anything, going to parties, cinema etc.

In the free time I read books, forum like this, meet my girlfriend which prepare to start in fitness contest etc.

My english sucks. I must improve it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
path which doesn't recommend by MJ

Not sure where you think "Ive recommended this" and "not recommended that" -- I never met you and have never spoken to you.

I have no clue who you are and not recommended anything.

Do what makes you happy most of the time, not only in the process, but where you are going.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ThinkDifferent

Banned
Read Fastlane!
Oct 1, 2015
Amsterdam
Sigh...I'm prob going to regret this, but care to explain why?

Why regret it? [emoji38]

Because bodybuilders use a lot of stuff to get bigger, most experiment with lots of chemicals. Its proven to have lots of bad side effects.
Even just steroids is very bad, they are very powerful drugs and are illegal without doctor subscription.

Bad for the heart, moodswings
Can become impotent
Big chance that it damages sperm quality.

Plus bodybuilders become relatively weaker even tho their absolute strength increases. In my opinion natural is the healthiest and best but I can understand why some small people would do steroids.

MatthewPL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 5, 2015
Poland, Poznan
Why regret it? [emoji38]

Because bodybuilders use a lot of stuff to get bigger, most experiment with lots of chemicals. Its proven to have lots of bad side effects.
Even just steroids is very bad, they are very powerful drugs and are illegal without doctor subscription.

Bad for the heart, moodswings
Can become impotent
Big chance that it damages sperm quality.

Plus bodybuilders become relatively weaker even tho their absolute strength increases. In my opinion natural is the healthiest and best but I can understand why some small people would do steroids.

I can't agree with you in some points.

- bodybuilders have healthy childrens.
- worse sperm quality you're right
- impotent, nope if you know how to do PCT or you must take enormous amount of stuff.

Bodybuilders don't take steroids because they're small, but if they want to reach the top level in this discipline they must take.

ThinkDifferent

Banned
Read Fastlane!
Oct 1, 2015
Amsterdam
I can't agree with you in some points.

- bodybuilders have healthy childrens.
- worse sperm quality you're right
- impotent, nope if you know how to do PCT or you must take enormous amount of stuff.

Bodybuilders don't take steroids because they're small, but if they want to reach the top level in this discipline they must take.

Ive seen competitions and only 5-10% is natural [emoji28].

There is a chance, too high chance of impotance and almost certain worse sperm.

Why take that risk? Better be physically and mentally healthy by eating well and exercising regurarly.

But I understand that some people are really thin and want become bigger.

Btw I love Poland. My brother lives in Krakow.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015
It's funny but i am actually in the same box with you. I am also 21 and i want love to play tennis and to practice martial arts. But i have to temporary quit them because mt parents no longer gave me money for them. At the beginning at this year when finally i found MJ's book i started my own business. And i can tell you that it took a lot of hard work, especially things got worse because mom was found with cancer and actually died 3 weeks ago. And even with all those events i finish my product launched it and now i am on my way to finish a better version. And this is just in a span of one year,i will be 22 in less then a month and probably in less then another year i will be financially independent. After this, i will do what i love which is practicing martial arts and play tennis without having to worry about money or time.

You are as young as me, so i suggest to work hard a few months or 1 year to make your business work and then when you finish you can do what you love without having to worry.

We all give you here roads to go on, but finally you will choose one of the. Take care!

ThinkDifferent

Banned
Read Fastlane!
Oct 1, 2015
Amsterdam
It's funny but i am actually in the same box with you. I am also 21 and i want love to play tennis and to practice martial arts. But i have to temporary quit them because mt parents no longer gave me money for them. At the beginning at this year when finally i found MJ's book i started my own business. And i can tell you that it took a lot of hard work, especially things got worse because mom was found with cancer and actually died 3 weeks ago. And even with all those events i finish my product launched it and now i am on my way to finish a better version. And this is just in a span of one year,i will be 22 in less then a month and probably in less then another year i will be financially independent. After this, i will do what i love which is practicing martial arts and play tennis without having to worry about money or time.

You are as young as me, so i suggest to work hard a few months or 1 year to make your business work and then when you finish you can do what you love without having to worry.

We all give you here roads to go on, but finally you will choose one of the. Take care!

Amazing man. Wish you the best of luck.

MatthewPL

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 5, 2015
Poland, Poznan

It's must be very tough for you and I feel sorry for you.

First thing I must do is change the job. It's wind in my eyes and after that I have more time.

Good luck my friend and thanks for share your small piece of story with us.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.