The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Were A Moderator

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Hmm...instead of a neg rep button, how about a little drop down menu that enables you
to select a reason why you did't like that particular post? Like "totally offtopic", "ego jerking", "nonsense", "potentially dangerous", etc...

The poster doesn't get notified in case of a downvote, and downvotes aren't displayed publicly like the likes.

One downvote has no immediate effect on rep bank, but if you accumulate a critical number of them,
you are charged a penalty and notified why.

Sort of like the fastlane achievement/reward system, but backwards.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Reduce or limit the pointless or repeat threads. Maybe this can be done by flagging threads with certain words or phrases in them like "should i learn how to code" and refer them to the ONE post that covers that topic. One thing that I've seen over the past few years is a dip in overall quality of posts, and it's now to the point that I don't even read most of them. I remember years ago reading every post.

Create a sarcastic and degrading category called "Please answer my life questions for me" or "Can you Google this for me?" so people know to post their stupid questions in that category, while the category title alone kills over 50% of the posts due to public humiliation.

Add a "verified" button that you earn once sufficient evidence is shown that proves you can back up your advice. It can be split into a few categories or something. Import Fastlaner, Ecommerce Fastlaner, Coding Fastlaner, etc.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I think profanity directed towards other members of the forum should be grounds for a serious warning and potentially be grounds for banning.

You're killin' me over here, smalls.

I totally get your point & see where you're coming from, but sometimes you just have to express your disdain in a manner befitting of a truck driver or sailor. ;)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're killin' me over here, smalls.

I totally get your point & see where you're coming from, but sometimes you just have to express your disdain in a manner befitting of a truck driver or sailor. ;)
I'm kucking tired of Sailors being picked on.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reduce or limit the pointless or repeat threads. Maybe this can be done by flagging threads with certain words or phrases in them like "should i learn how to code" and refer them to the ONE post that covers that topic. One thing that I've seen over the past few years is a dip in overall quality of posts, and it's now to the point that I don't even read most of them. I remember years ago reading every post.

Create a sarcastic and degrading category called "Please answer my life questions for me" or "Can you Google this for me?" so people know to post their stupid questions in that category, while the category title alone kills over 50% of the posts due to public humiliation.

Already implemented... it's call the Landfill. Take a look at the noise for yourself!

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/forums/the-landfill.143/

Create a sarcastic and degrading category called "Please answer my life questions for me" or "Can you Google this for me?"

LOL, people can't even post in the right category right now. Think they will voluntary post there? Not a chance. Everyone thinks their "do I learn to code" and "do I go to college" situation is special and unique. If you spent the time I spend moving threads into their right categories, you'd see just how complicated a simple category selection is for most people.

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
My point is that I don't think that a non-INSIDERS needs to express their opinion about what should be the requirements to join the Inside.

The last time I checked, this thread was created for members (not just INSIDERS) to suggest things that would make this a better forum.

Given that I am a non-INSIDERS, my point is still valid from a non-INSIDERS perspective.
I would pay quiet happily pay for INSIDERS but I feel I am getting everything I need from the main forum.
However, if it was based on a voting system, I would leave. End of.

I hope that cleared things up for you.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
I would shrink and clean up the top part of the forum.

From this:
Screen_Shot_2016_01_06_at_19_56_09.png

To this:

screen_New.jpg

I would put subscribe and INSIDERS blocks somewhere else.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I am still waiting for my rep bank $ to hit my real bank account. Is there an issues with the transfer codes?

***joke***

1) Clean up the new thread creation options.

Right now when you go to post a new thread a lot of sections are shown darkened which is really confusing.

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 1.12.41 PM.png

2)

One day ban for people who ask a question in a thread that has been answered multiple times or is easy to Google.
Example: 20 pages into Instagram AMA thread... 'how many tags can you use in a picture?'

Just my humble opinion.
I love this forum and am very grateful for the people who spend time moderating and contributing.

Last edited:

BaraQueenbee

tiny
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 14, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Reading a lot of great suggestions already!

I do not have any ground breaking ideas or suggestions (I have been thinking about it actually for a while, since I was a bit annoyed by the "how do I whipe my butt" - type of topics. But didn't know what WOULD attribute).

About the INSIDERS:
I truly hope for every serious persons sake out there, it will NOT be turned into a "by invite from INSIDERS" or such, only. If that would be the case, I think many would never make it there and that would just be a shame. Also, I feel the INSIDERS sections is actually really good with great topics and threads.

The "how do I wipe" - kind of topics.
I understand everyone is new. Hell, I am even still a hardcore newbie on this forum. And I can't express how god darn grateful I am for having have found it. And when I just read my intro thread, I am already thinking "holy shit how naieve, and how I really did NOT understand what I was talking about". (disclaimer: not claiming I understand the world now, just much I have learned in this short time span.) But give a consequence to these type.

Can't we not do a kind of example test on moral rules here? I would love to help make one. Example:
1. After signing up, and mods approving your form; a short instruction. Hey you! We know you are new, but we would like you to read these few short steps carefully so we make sure the forum remains a great place with a healthy attitude. (and make it so you can not go through it before actually having have read it. And maybe even make a short quiz of it? I'm just throwing it out there, cause making it to much like terms and agreements; well, lets just say we all "check" that box.
Or maybe just a virtual tour? Either on youtube video or other different medium?
"Hello there newbie, how great you have found this forum! Now let's show you where you can find what"

Or at introduction, the "where to start when you're new" Golden threads.

I shall ponder on this more, since I have found myself way too many times guilty of login in, seeing some bad feelings threads on the main page, sighing and log out straight away.

Edit:

Post scriptum: may I add, that I have mad respect for moderators? I know we only see a tiny bit of whats going on there, but I take of my imaginary hat for you all for having to deal with it and keeping it a safe and nice environment.

post post scriptum: Ignore thread function yes!

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Agreed. In fairness to him, he didn't start that recent thread.

@AllenCrawley let's get the next INSIDERS call scheduled

Get out of here with your facts.

We don't want your facts.

We already have our opinions!

Remove penis contest threads such as the ubermensch race. Zero value in threads discussing who has the biggest penis.

I am 100% for this, as long as we name the rule: "The Biggest Penis AKA Size Doesn't Matter Ubermensch Rule."

It's a "long" way to phrase a rule, but long is appropriate in this case... :cool:

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How about letting users know how many other members are ignoring them. This would give them an idea that something is wrong or they aren't being received well.

I always wonder if some of the people i ignore have any idea how bad their posts are.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
How about letting users know how many other members are ignoring them. This would give them an idea that something is wrong or they aren't being received well.

I always wonder if some of the people i ignore have any idea how bad their posts are.

Downside of being a mod. We can't ignore the dipshits.

If my lust for (imaginary) mod powers weren't so great, my ignore list would be pretty deep.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

If my lust for (imaginary) mod powers weren't so great, my ignore list would be pretty deep.

Having modded forums, I was about to say, I'd quit. ;) Sometimes the mod forum is a good place to vent your spleen though.

MJ covered what I'd have suggested in the Elon Musk thread, and was my main lesson as a mod. Don't be too afraid to delete bullshit content, the users you actually want to attract and keep happy are here in part, because the forum is curated well.

GREAT JOB GUYS.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Fire Vigilante! (KIDDING!)

1) Have a most-liked-posts widget. Posts with the most likes (or rep transfer points) usually have the most value and learning potential. I'd love to be able to quickly scan these without having to read everything, when I'm pressed for time. I actually like this idea better than the news feed. I've only followed a handful of people, and my news feed is already pretty cluttered with 'attaboy' type comments. I'm also missing out on great content posted by people I don't follow. This should be featured prominently somehow.

2) Set up an Ask to Answer system. Combine it with a list of members sorted by their expertise. If I have a question on a particular topic, I could check off a few people I'd like to answer. I could offer rep points for the answer.

(I set this one off between asterisks because I really like this idea)

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
It would be awesome to have an inner circle of trustworthy businessmen that are actually doing things. I don't disclose my business names to anyone on this forum unless I am friends with them on Facebook and have communicated outside of here. If there were a mastermind that had some harsher requirements I'd be interested in getting into that to have exclusive access to people who are successful and actually doing stuff.

It could even be a private facebook group that's invite only.

Dwee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 26, 2014
I would shrink and clean up the top part of the forum.

From this:
Screen_Shot_2016_01_06_at_19_56_09.png

To this:

screen_New.jpg

I would put subscribe and INSIDERS blocks somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to remove both of those. If I recall correctly you can remove the subscribe block by subscribing, and the INSIDERS block by becoming an INSIDERS.

Just a thought ;)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

I ignored someone once (yep only one) and didn't give a shit if he knew. Every time I get ready to ignore that uberdude, he posts something good :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Fire Vigilante! (KIDDING!)

1) Have a most-liked-posts widget. Posts with the most likes (or rep transfer points) usually have the most value and learning potential. I'd love to be able to quickly scan these without having to read everything, when I'm pressed for time. I actually like this idea better than the news feed. I've only followed a handful of people, and my news feed is already pretty cluttered with 'attaboy' type comments. I'm also missing out on great content posted by people I don't follow. This should be featured prominently somehow.

2) Set up an Ask to Answer system. Combine it with a list of members sorted by their expertise. If I have a question on a particular topic, I could check off a few people I'd like to answer. I could offer rep points for the answer.

(I set this one off between asterisks because I really like this idea)

Two demerits for you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It would be awesome to have an inner circle of trustworthy businessmen that are actually doing things. I don't disclose my business names to anyone on this forum unless I am friends with them on Facebook and have communicated outside of here. If there were a mastermind that had some harsher requirements I'd be interested in getting into that to have exclusive access to people who are successful and actually doing stuff.

It could even be a private facebook group that's invite only.

Many have that. It typically springs from the face to face meetups, some sanctioned, some not.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I like that a spammer can show their hand in their first post.

Forum members do an excellent job of reporting it, and mods have a little rule of "First post spam? Delete and ban!"

(OK, Ok, I made that one up so I'd remember it. Don't expect the other mods to be skipping around singing that.)

We all know the adage "You can't manage what you can't measure".

I think it's taken too far personally. Not everything is measurable in a number, and chasing numbers can make us forget that the number is just a proxy for something else. E.g. I want to be healthier can become an obsession with waist measurement, weight, etc.

However, it's quite amazing how people's actions can be influenced by just seeing a number and how it changes based on actions taken.

Just seeing the following metrics in member profiles might cause us to act differently by choice (rather than needing algorithms that reward or punish based on their values):

1) Each member's likes per post metric. Just seeing that additional metric might be enough for people to try and improve their own, and would put the deserved spotlight on people who might not post much, but are worth listening to.

2) Likewise the number of followers.

3) Number of likes given. Are you generous with your likes/thanks? Do you "give thanks" even though you don't post much?

4) Amount of rep given away. Vigilante gives a ridiculous amount of rep away every day. It's a tremendous example of understanding that we don't need to make money, we just need to connect with it. There's a reason it's called "currency" after all - it needs to flow.

5) Total rep earned? Would this make people more likely to give rep? Knowing the remaining rep is their "profit"?

It would also be nice to see threads listed by total likes in the thread, as well as the top individual posts for likes.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I now understand why the mods have a short fuse :)
How about letting users know how many other members are ignoring them.
If I was a troll, this would probably inspire me to be even worse lol
I am 100% for this, as long as we name the rule: "The Biggest Penis AKA Size Doesn't Matter Ubermensch Rule."
Pro
Honestly, I wouldn't use the forum anymore if that was the case.
Just seems... pompous
I find it ironic and hypocritical that you feel this would be pompous, yet you created a very similar thread about gym rants, starting with:
So I have been hitting the gym hard lately and have a few rants about noobs, twats and other amusing gym folk, so thought it'd be a fun off-topic to add your gym rant below.

Last edited by a moderator:

adoredunchin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jun 18, 2013
Honestly, I wouldn't use the forum anymore if that was the case.
Just seems... pompous
I truly hope for every serious persons sake out there, it will NOT be turned into a "by invite from INSIDERS" or such, only.

Oh to clear this up:
I'm thinking of a 3 step thing.
1. normal user
2. INSIDERS who pays like now (so you can post stuff you don't want on google)
3. real INSIDERS (who is more like a real group of friends, knowing each other and actually beeing able to post your tax info if you want to get help)

btw. all the rep should go to @jon.a he had the idea about that 'real INSIDERS'

G

Guest3722A

Here's something that's off the cuff, but, what if there was a thread or pm that anonymously showed whenever a member was added to another member's ignore list?

It would also show if and when they were unignored.

EDIT: Just read biophase's post which says the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!