The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Hello guys :),

I am still kinda new to this forum, but I have been reading a lot of threads for about 4 months.
I am from Frankfurt Germany and wanted to introduce myself and thank all of you guys for your great threads, help, replies and contribution. I am currently looking for a product to source for importing but this is my first time doing this. Even though I have read the whole thread I kinda feel confused on how to start ? What do you guys think about seasonal products like for example winter masks with cool designs and colors for the upcoming winter ?
Or what could you recommend to me ?
Like a easy product to just get a start and feel with ?
Thank you in advance.

I've read somewhere (I sadly don't remember where), someone talking about seasonal products. It's most likely already too late for Winter season. By the time you get your samples, correct everything, get the units made then shipped to the warehouses, everyone will have the latest beanie or ski mask. I know it's quite a profitable niche though if done correctly. Beanies themselves sell by thousands a day, but the competition is really strong.

On another hand, I've almost pulled the trigger on a dermaroller a few months back. it has slow sales (~2000/mo) but the earning potential for a decent white label product could go for around $7/unit, all fees calculated. Just make a high quality branding, design, website with shopify and some great copy for your product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
@biophase

Thanks for the great thread. Just finished reading through it and it’s sparked a research kick. I’m new around here, and I want to build capital before starting a larger project. I think Amazon might be the place to do it.

My first idea: Sports Climbers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PDYBNY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20)

Product:
These accessories fit over workboats to help climb trees by attaching to the leg and digging a spike into the tree to the tree for support.

Problem:
Most products fit only around the shoe and ankle. This puts the majority of pressure on the ankles and reviewers are reporting discomfort.

Solution:
Create a similar product that covers the shin and spreads the pressure from the ankles to the whole calf.

Opportunity:
Tree climbers could branch out into general climbing equipment and accessories not related to tree climbing.

These climbers are my first attempt at researching a product, so please be as harsh as possible with your feedback. I need to learn how to spot an opportunity.

Best,

Red

Off the bat, I’d think to be mindful of market size. How many tree climbers, how often would they buy/replace a pair. Sales channels - how many tree climbers are actually amazon shoppers. Possible scenario - the product sales potential is not huge, but could be added to an inventory of similar products for an arborist gear company.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Hello guys :),

I am still kinda new to this forum, but I have been reading a lot of threads for about 4 months.
I am from Frankfurt Germany and wanted to introduce myself and thank all of you guys for your great threads, help, replies and contribution. I am currently looking for a product to source for importing but this is my first time doing this. Even though I have read the whole thread I kinda feel confused on how to start ? What do you guys think about seasonal products like for example winter masks with cool designs and colors for the upcoming winter ?
Or what could you recommend to me ?
Like a easy product to just get a start and feel with ?
Thank you in advance.

Welcome! I’m developing my first product, and the problem it solves is seasonal for most places. But remember, on planet earth, it’s always your season somewhere, unless it’s holiday driven. Summer in one latitude is winter in another, but I can’t profess that shifting your product around the globe to follow seasons is easy. I’m learning these pains.

If you’re looking for an easy product, it’s going to be easy for everybody, so your barriers to entry are shot. And “easy” inventory that does not sell is expensive, so there goes the easy part.

Best of luck!

AaronIsWoke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
For anyone that is interested, I took the Rock Climbing Hang Board and did a test order of 10 units.

After the 4th sale, I was already at the bottom of page one of "hangboard" and "hang board". I sold all of the 10 units in roughly 35 days with 0 PPC.

I started selling them for $29.99 ( I did not even have the buy box in the beginning) and slowly increased to $52.99. All using FBM. Imagine the potential when using PPC and FBA.

I have to look back but I believe I bought them for $21 with nice white box and foam inserts. If someone wanted to do this, I would buy a lot more than 10 units and try to get the price down to $17. Like what biophase said, you wont get rich off this product but I can see you doing at least $1k in profits a month. I will take this down if someone wants to continue with this

Hey there exclusives88, have you continued with the product? Definitely interested in executing on it since I picked up rock climbing about a year ago and definitely have a passion for the niche.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Started a dropshipping Shopify store a month before reading TMF and Unscripted , now wishing I hadn't since I was looking about the entrepreneurship the wrong way.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
Love this thread idea, thank you for still keeping up with it a year later.

I used to travel a good bit for work, and thought the hotel gym situations were always pretty bad. Either it was just cardio, or one of those combo machines that barely worked. I've brought exercise bands with me but couldn't really do everything I wanted to do due to limited furniture in the rooms. I looked for a portable dumbbell option and this was all I could ever find:

http://a.co/d/a0240KW

Two of the main complaints I see across a few listing reviews were the fact that they leak too easily, and there's no way to have accurate incremental weight increases.

It seems to me that water is still the best way to go to remain portable and adjustable, it just sounds like they haven't been correctly designed yet. I've found what I believe to be the manufacturer for the main companies on Amazon.

Are you typically able to work with these manufacturers with design changes? Or is that another whole process?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I had a new business that I wanted to launch this December. This business is selling winter product, think skis and snowboards accessory. The problem was that the R&D took so long that by the time October rolled around it was getting way to late to launch in 2018.

The manufacturer had an MOQ of 500 pcs with a price around $30, so it would have been at $15000 initial order. I've been going back and forth with them on then MOQ since if I didn't get these before November, I didn't know if I could move 500 units after Xmas.

Fast forward to yesterday. The R&D is done and it's production order time, but I tell them, we missed the season, I'm not going to order until July. They say that the ski season goes until April. I tell them it goes till March at the latest. Anyway, there's no way I can move 500 units in February and March at the tail end of the ski season. They ask me how many I want. I tell them 100 units. They say OK.

Moral of the story... During the busy season of the factory everyone else is ordering so the factory can give you high MOQs and prices. Now in December, all orders are done so they will take little orders. They agreed to do 100 units at the same price as 500 units.

Something to think about... and to put into your war chest for later on.

Now my order is only $3000. A much less riskier venture. What I will probably do is air ship them and try to get Jan-Mar sales at break even. This will give me good feedback and I can adjust for winter 2019 when my real launch will be.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I had a new business that I wanted to launch this December. This business is selling winter product, think skis and snowboards accessory. The problem was that the R&D took so long that by the time October rolled around it was getting way to late to launch in 2018.

The manufacturer had an MOQ of 500 pcs with a price around $30, so it would have been at $15000 initial order. I've been going back and forth with them on then MOQ since if I didn't get these before November, I didn't know if I could move 500 units after Xmas.

Fast forward to yesterday. The R&D is done and it's production order time, but I tell them, we missed the season, I'm not going to order until July. They say that the ski season goes until April. I tell them it goes till March at the latest. Anyway, there's no way I can move 500 units in February and March at the tail end of the ski season. They ask me how many I want. I tell them 100 units. They say OK.

Moral of the story... During the busy season of the factory everyone else is ordering so the factory can give you high MOQs and prices. Now in December, all orders are done so they will take little orders. They agreed to do 100 units at the same price as 500 units.

Now my order is only $3000. A much less riskier venture. What I will probably do is air ship them and try to get Jan-Mar sales at break even. This will give me good feedback and I can adjust for winter 2019 when my real launch will be.

Interesting tip for the MOQ. In Canada we have ski season until May, tough niche though, definitely some products that I would buy as I've encountered some problems myself while doing the hobby.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018

I have a question. You say you've done R&D, does that mean market research or product research?

If not market research, you think you will have enough time to launch a new website and have enough advertising to target enough in the next 3 months?

Also, was the "R&D" the same advice you gave in the dog fur glove thread? That was great, just curious if there was more to it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a question. You say you've done R&D, does that mean market research or product research?

If not market research, you think you will have enough time to launch a new website and have enough advertising to target enough in the next 3 months?

Also, was the "R&D" the same advice you gave in the dog fur glove thread? That was great, just curious if there was more to it.

R&D is just on the product. Yes, it's similar to the dog glove. You do the same thing.

I won't have enough time to launch a website. I'm launching on Amazon to some feedback on it.

CigarMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 24, 2013
With the trade issues and possible recession in the horizon is this something a new that is worth starting at this point.

Second question I had is how long will it take a new person to learn the ropes assuming some hard work is being done?

NickC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
@biophase

Product idea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDVVZY4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Current issues from reviewers:
- Plastic had holes
- Tore at zipper
- Hard to set up lack of instructions
- Zipper broke
- Flimsy in wind
- Parts missing
- Too short in height
- Bad customer service

Solutions:
- Better quality materials, better plastic, quality zipper
- Stronger support pieces
- more tie downs for wind
- Quality instructions
- Good customer service

I'm concerned this might be too complicated, but i feel like theres a good amount of room for improvement. What do you think?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase

Product idea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDVVZY4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Current issues from reviewers:
- Plastic had holes
- Tore at zipper
- Hard to set up lack of instructions
- Zipper broke
- Flimsy in wind
- Parts missing
- Too short in height
- Bad customer service

Solutions:
- Better quality materials, better plastic, quality zipper
- Stronger support pieces
- more tie downs for wind
- Quality instructions
- Good customer service

I'm concerned this might be too complicated, but i feel like theres a good amount of room for improvement. What do you think?

The first thing I’d look at is how big and heavy this product is when shipped. Your improvements would probably make it heavier too.

NickC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
The first thing I’d look at is how big and heavy this product is when shipped. Your improvements would probably make it heavier too.
Would you consider that a deal breaker? Or just more challenges such as storage and shipping costs?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Would you consider that a deal breaker? Or just more challenges such as storage and shipping costs?

You wouldn’t know until you did the research on it. What’s it currently weigh and cost to store?

NickC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
You wouldn’t know until you did the research on it. What’s it currently weigh and cost to store?
I checked out two listings one was 23.1 pounds the other was about 14. So i took the 23.1 pound one and using amazons revenue calculator.

Monthly storage fee: 0.80$
Fulfillment fee: 16.87$
56.3 x 56.3 x 76.7 inches

Plus, like you said it will most likely become a heavier item.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@NickC
"Product idea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDVVZY4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20"

Having owned one of these I found it to deteriorate at an amazing rate, and agree with all the adverse reviews listed.

I was still using it with numerous holes giving some ventilation in the heat, when a strong wind carried it 100 yards or more, over the fence, and dismantled it when it caught in another fence. The push in joiners are easy to use, but easy for the wind to separate.

I have seen ones from various sources and can say that there is not much difference between them. The biggest fault is insufficient UV stabilizer used in the plastic, so it will become brittle quite rapidly.

If you can find one that uses commercial greenhouse quality plastic, it would last a lot longer, but could weigh twice as much. They also need screened ventilation. The zip up door is not the answer, because when open the insects have free entry.

Walter

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So $17 in fulfillment and $10 in commissions. Leaves you with $53 per sale.

The size you posted is after it’s built. You need to find the size it is shipped.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Hey there exclusives88, have you continued with the product? Definitely interested in executing on it since I picked up rock climbing about a year ago and definitely have a passion for the niche.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Started a dropshipping Shopify store a month before reading TMF and Unscripted , now wishing I hadn't since I was looking about the entrepreneurship the wrong way.

Why didn’t you wish you didn’t drop ship ? Isn’t it way to get your foot in the door to start learning ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
So this looks like a really good product to sell.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016P8K3W/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

A lot of reviews, but they are mostly negative.
Product needs customization, new design to make it work properly.
A TON of search volume.
Really stiff competition, but mostly from a different kind of product.
Lightweight, easy to ship and relatively cheap.

With a few modifications and improvements, you could sell it for $25-$30 or more I bet, as the only similar product worth a sh*t is selling for $60.

Solves a HUGE pain point.

How do you find the products with most negative reviews ?

yla

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jan 15, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
How do you find the products with most negative reviews ?

[Just chiming into this thread now]

I personally use a software tool that a lot of other Amazon sellers may use to find product opportunities in the marketplace. The one I use is called JungleScout. There are other ones as well: Viral Launch, Helium 10, etc. I'd say the 3 I named are the most popular.

These tools aren't free, but they all provide a function within their respective web apps that allow you to search through Amazon's product catalog with a bunch of filters. Some of them are average review rating, number of reviews, and estimated monthly revenue.

There's a ton of information about how to best leverage these tools, but to put it simply - you could look for products that have an avg. review rating that is 3.5 or below and does at least $5000 of monthly revenue. This could provide a good starting point to see what types of products are in demand, yet suffer from a poor product on the market.

Hope this helps!

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Alright, I was going to keep this to myself but I wanted to share and get your thoughts. I hired a professional car wash company to come out and wash my car. They washed my car using a water containment mat.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799QW6KD/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

They also have similar mats to put in the garage so you don't get your garage floor dirty.

This product has very little competition. I been tracking sales of the one you put in the garage. I tracked how many they sell by using the 999 add to cart trick. I tracked listings with 30 reviews and listings with only 2 reviews. The 30 review does 10-20 a day. The one with only 2 review sold 4 in the last 4 days (their product only was higher priced). So these products are lower competition, selling for $130 and selling 10+ a day.

The more expensive ones like the link above does at least $15k a month.

A lot of these had bad reviews because they wrinkle, move or starts to rip. You can easily make an improvement and profit at least $3k a month.

The water containment mat can be sold to direct consumers and to businesses.

Thoughts?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Alright, I was going to keep this to myself but I wanted to share and get your thoughts. I hired a professional car wash company to come out and wash my car. They washed my car using a water containment mat.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799QW6KD/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

They also have similar mats to put in the garage so you don't get your garage floor dirty.

This product has very little competition. I been tracking sales of the one you put in the garage. I tracked how many they sell by using the 999 add to cart trick. I tracked listings with 30 reviews and listings with only 2 reviews. The 30 review does 10-20 a day. The one with only 2 review sold 4 in the last 4 days (their product only was higher priced). So these products are lower competition, selling for $130 and selling 10+ a day.

The more expensive ones like the link above does at least $15k a month.

A lot of these had bad reviews because they wrinkle, move or starts to rip. You can easily make an improvement and profit at least $3k a month.

The water containment mat can be sold to direct consumers and to businesses.

Thoughts?

Looks like a decent product to sell. It's about $20 for Amazon to fulfill. Storage is about $1 a month on normal months and then $3 a unit from Oct-Dec, which is probably the time of most sales too.

So just looking at the $145 model, you probably have to land it in the USA for around $50-$60.

I'm sure there will be more competition on this next winter.

CalinPop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 25, 2019
Hi guys can I just ask what software are you using to find products? If no software what approach?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

AaronIsWoke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
Why didn’t you wish you didn’t drop ship ? Isn’t it way to get your foot in the door to start learning ?

I realized that drop shipping was too competitive in the sense that anyone can go out and take your best selling products. The barrier to entry for Amazon FBA is higher, and the custom products you create can add higher value, making them easier to market and gain customers.

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I realized that drop shipping was too competitive in the sense that anyone can go out and take your best selling products. The barrier to entry for Amazon FBA is higher, and the custom products you create can add higher value, making them easier to market and gain customers.

Oh I see, so if you had to do it all over again what would you do ?

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
@biophase

I will give it a go....

How about something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0113IRXPM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

But made specifically for business attire? I always see guys carrying their suit jacket, shirt and slacks separately on a hanger over their shoulder outside of their gym bag.

All the ones I have found are for packing more than just your suits, like a garment bag.

What if I could create one that would roll up similar to how people carry their yoga mats over their shoulder?

Added Value:
Less Wrinkles in your suit
Convenient
Simple / easy to use
Make a less bulkier product
More durable - the bad reviews say the zippers always break

I have sold items on Amazon before and would love to rack your brain on PPC campaigns. PPC's drained any margins I had. But I will save that for another day.

But also, this may have been brought up in the thread before but doesn't selling on Amazon break the CONTROL part of the CENTS Commandments?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.