• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I started a business and now I'm doubting it

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by momomaurice, May 5, 2018.

1. momomaurice

momomaurice Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $829
    I started a business because I spent too much time thinking about starting a business and just said f*ck it I'll start a power washing business. 2 months in and some mornings I dread the thought of waking up and doing the work thats ahead of me for the day. I'm making more money that I ever made in my life but I'm finding it a struggle to keep going. I know having a passion for your business is bullshit but shouldn't there be some bit of interest in what you do? Shouldn't I be waking up in the morning feeling happy that I'm in business? Is this normal to feel like this? I feel a bit lost and would love some advice on the matter.

2. YoungBroward

YoungBroward Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $494
    hire someone

Steven., ZF Lee, Benjaminjhs and 17 others like this.
  3. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $77,531
    Hire 2 someones. Make more money.

4. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,424
    Been there, done that. That's why I'm here.

You need a plan. I work hard in my job, but go round in circles. I go fast but get nowhere.

So I have a couple of things I'm working on. I have a new horizon that I'm moving towards. Now, my job is a vehicle that is going to get me there - instead of being just a job. That opens up new doors of opportunity, and life is interesting again.

Look deep inside, and ask yourself what you would do if you could pick the career you wanted. I can see why power washing sucks the energy out of you. There could be so much more in your life. But there isn't because you're trying to make a dull go nowhere job go somewhere meaningful. Ain't gonna happen. It is what it is. Sorry. But use it to get to that place that you would really like to be. It's bringing in the money, so you have most of the battle already won.

I went from being drudging through the mud every day to now - I have so many projects that I have to limit myself to focus on one at a time. Life is certainly much more fun now! And I'm still doing the same old crap - but now, with a purpose. Now, life is good.

"Change your thoughts, change your world."
    Norman Vincent Peale

DakonSG, ZF Lee, ruzara5 and 12 others like this.
  5. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $829
    Thank you for this. This is what I needed to hear. I was thinking of using my job and the money I'm making now to go towards selling online.

ZF Lee, AgainstAllOdds and ProcessPro like this.
  6. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $310
    Either hire people, or work on a product-based business.

7. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $829
    I'd love to hire people. Thats the vision in my head. I want crews working for me and a few trucks on the road but I'm losing interest fast. It doesn't serve enough purpose for me. Plus I don't have the cash or supplies to hire people right now.

8. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $77,531
    If you can make it more passive, you'll get where you want to be faster.

9. Kak

Kak Capitalist Pig Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $17,229
    This is probably because you didn't actually start a business... You built a job...

If you have enough work, why not hire some hourly employees to do the labor? Then focus on getting more work... And then hire someone that can focus on getting more work...

Genius01, Steven., ZF Lee and 29 others like this.
  10. Kak

Kak Capitalist Pig Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $17,229
    Product based business is such a canned answer... Is this a pay the bills with a somewhat passive income forum or a millionaire entrepreneur forum?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $17,229
    This is entrepreneurship... The answer is to figure it out. I thought you said you were making more money than ever before... Where is that money going? Beer?

12. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,441

Get an SBA Loan

13. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $46,441
    I’m also going to tag @Duane in here. He has more insight than most into this type of business.

Kak likes this.
  14. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $17,229
    Boom... REP

UnrealCreative, vinylawesome and Scot like this.
  15. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $46,441

No excuses man. There’s money to be had. And for buying equipment, SBA throws money at that.

16. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $17,229
    Alternatively...
    -He could get a traditional loan.
    -He could buy the equipment on a store payment plan.
    -Sub the jobs out for a profit.
    -Rent the equipment.

There are so many things he could do .

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  17. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $310
    what's your problem

Bottomsouth likes this.
  18. vinylawesome

vinylawesome Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,272
    Equipment purchases would be Section 179. Therefore, after tax.

19. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $17,229
    I have a problem with people that act like or think they know what they're talking about while dishing out shitty or incomplete advice like "start a product based business".

20. ZeroTo100

ZeroTo100 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,000
    What's your plan with the business in 2 years? You selling it, you keeping?

I think you need to find interest within your business. Hire the people to do the shitty things you don't want to do and focus on the fun things you do want to do. Focus on the branding, the marketing side - that's always fun for me.

You think garbage men love their job? No but they get paid A LOT. What about the owners of waste removal companies? You think they love garbage? What about college hunks?

Seems like they made the job fun. Make it fun bro! Build mantra, build culture!

21. Dunkafelics

Dunkafelics Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,409
    It seems like you got tired of thinking about business opportunities and threw your hat at one you felt could be a fit for your current lifestyle.

You've hit a crossroad quite quickly and you really only have two choices to make going forward:

1. Scale this business model by hiring employees and start treating it as a business instead of working within the business. Be the CEO of the company, not the owner-operator.
    2. Scrap the business and move on to something else.

You are providing a lot of reasons as to why you can't do something - I can't hire employees due to lack of funds, the mindset in the mornings, lack of purpose, etc.

There definitely needs to be a mindset shift here quickly or your customer service is going to suffer as well.

I get a feeling that there are bigger and more meaningful things out there that you would like to do. What are they?

22. pwilliams84

pwilliams84 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $211
    man i’ll tell ya there’s no better time to paint a home or commercial building than shortly after a good power wash. sounds like an outsourced upsell, or a lead gen opportunity.

i like money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,177
    Sounds as though you can't afford to NOT hire an employee. So you're making more money than ever, cut that back by 1/3 (live like you lived before), hire someone and then within a few months you will go through the growing pain all over again.... until you are where you want to be. Or else you might wake up next Thursday morning and decide to not make any money at all. Hire before it's too late. If nothing else, get excited about hiring someone and then once you get it built up a little, sell it and move on. Find SOMETHING to get excited about in this business before you just drop it. Use this business as the business you learn from.

24. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $154,126
    Kudos for escaping analysis-paralysis and taking action.

Encountering new problems is a sign you’re making progress.

Problems are just stepping stones in disguise. Solve this current problem and you’ll be further ahead.

^^^ This.

A couple of years ago it dawned on that my job was no longer to DO the work. My job was to GET the work.

Now my job is to setup the business to get the work and do the work, so that I’m no longer needed.

Here’s one of the sliding scales I think of:
    1. Learn a skill.
    2. Sell the skill.
    3. Scale the skill.
    Where are you on that scale?

Also... as the business owner you’re NOT selling power washing. This thread might help:

Genius01, Kid, vinylawesome and 8 others like this.
  25. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $829
    When I say I'm making more money than ever before I am not making millions, I am making more than I ever had in a sh*t job. Everything I make is going back into the business not on beer. I am living like a bum at the moment, I pay rent and food for myself and I don't go out, it doesn't bother me. I know that if I have to be rich I have to sacrifice now. Having crews working for me is the vision. What is an SBA loan? I don't have enough work to hire people and pressure washing is seasonal, I haven't even done my first season yet. It feels like it's turning into a job that I hate. I'm still learning the job myself. I am not sure what I want to do, I feel no interest in growing this business and I am thinking of using it now to fund something else. But thanks for all the replies I needed your input.

Tommo likes this.