• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I started a business and now I'm doubting it

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by momomaurice, May 5, 2018.

1. VirginiaR

VirginiaR Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $742
    Hi Maurice , Nice and open post you posted. I can imagine how frustrating this feels. And you know, everybody is different and has different needs for seeking that fulfillment. You are really trying your best and I think experimenting with the Unscripted mindset and seeking your own path. I am a person, as I discovered over the years, that I DO HAVE TO do something I am passionate about. Otherwise I feel empty. And I felt empty many years not doing living up to my true self. I am earning triple what I did before I chose for doing what I was meant to do. Cause people notice the passion that you share for what you do, gives others more energy and believing more in what you do. I am not a millionaire. But working on being financially more established and for me its more about personal growth. I do believe that MJ has solutions to combine your passion with the unscripted mind set. I think overtime it will present itself to you, when you are trying out things and discovering more of yourself. Don't lose faith, you have so much to offer, and the willingness is there. Goodluck Maurice, I feel for what you are going through. And it's so personal.

Andy Black and momomaurice like this.
  2. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $19,072
    This is extremely true.. My neighbor has a high end pressure washer with the thing that looks like a push mower... I borrowed it once and did my big circle driveway in less than an hour.

Assuming you hire the labor at some point... The right equipment makes the labor cheaper... It's the best investment you can make. WAY cheaper than letting expensive labor blast away all day with sh*tty equipment and if you buy it right you can always get your money back out of it.

Genius01, Steven., Invictus and 10 others like this.
  3. Best Napat

Best Napat New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $41
    Human resources and franchise

4. corphelp

corphelp New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    RESPONSE:
    I agree Hire someone and consider building a business that you are willing to sell down the road. With just two months in now would not be the time consider selling your business. Good luck

Andy Black likes this.
  5. GSF

GSF Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,296
    @momomaurice Is there any way you could offload some of the work to local subcontractors? Would that work in your area? even if its just a couple of days a week to start, having them free days for managing the business you'll begin to feel like your working "on the business" rather than "in the business" like a job.

Vet them for insurance, qualifications certifications , experience etc. Give them a trial day to start. Have more than one so if one lets you down you've got a backup crew ready to go. Give them more days once you know you can trust them to do a good job/ turn up on time, pay them on a piece rate per completed job, also pay them a bonus based on getting the jobs done on time and to a good standard/ use customer surveys at end of each job. Once you've got enough work to keep that crew busy for a few weeks, sub contract a new crew/ expand to other areas. Then if it makes business sense, look to switching the subys to employed crews.

In my experience subcontractors have a better attitude to work than employees do, take more pride in their work. You don't have the headaches of owning any vehicles/ equipment/ maintenance/ worrying about quiet periods- you let your subbys deal with that and just focus on getting enough work for them. If it was me i'd subcontract 100% of the labour and just focus on customer service, getting enough jobs for them and adding additional crews and expanding into new areas. maybe down the line as it grows have office employees for marketing & customer service/ operations.

6. momomaurice

momomaurice Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $884
    Would you be doing what you're doing now Andy?

Genius01 and Andy Black like this.
  7. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $884
    To be honest doing all that now, 2 months in to my business life scares the sh*t out of me

8. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $159,027
    Pretty much.

I'd probably spend more time helping local youngsters help local businesses with their marketing.

I'd spend less time on bespoke client work, and more on building a lead generation business in specific verticals. But this is a work-in-progress anyway, and I'm happy to chip away at it.

Reminds me of this thread: You can go slower than you think

(Not to be confused with this thread: "You can't break tackles at marathon pace")

Real Deal Denver and momomaurice like this.
  9. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $21,135
    subscription pressure washing? seems like businesses might go for it....... work on that part in your spare time....

buy equipment to save time ..... use that time to land more profitable work and setup the subscription model ....... learn and fail a lot ..... then pivot if needed.......

10. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,995
    GOLD GOLD GOLD!

Double your income working the same amount of hours.

SOLID FREAKING GOLD advice here!

vinylawesome and Duane like this.
  11. Anshu

Anshu New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $22
    I think that it is a good idea for a business follow some rules.I had good feel about your suggestion.I think that start any business should be a positive thinking.

12. AlessioLC

AlessioLC Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,961
    I would be in your shoes i would step up my game (marketing, quality, prestation, etc..) to be seen as a Premium Services and not just the good old joe (no offence) who come to clean the fences
    And by stepping up the game, i also mean billing more, it has to be worth your time.

You also must focus on client satisfaction, with this comes more client (referral) and at a certain point you'll have less flyers to post !

Think R.Estate Agent, going door to door, being on a sector for weeks, nobody knows you...but then when you makes sales and you've been doing a very good job, your become the men to call, it's your sector now.
    The point is : Make yourself seen as the guy of the situation, who knows his craft and is willing to put the extra mile

Not having any interests in your business is something to be think about, imagine yourself cashing money with this business and ask yourself if that would fulfill yourself or not, if not you may have got your answer on what to do with this.

I personnally would have a bit of interest in my business if i start one, you'll pass a bunch of time there, think about it

Also, this kind of business are scalable as hell, look at success stories of entrepreneur who have successfully scale this business, they are doing good now.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  13. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $884
    I had a listen to Grant Cardone Sell or be sold when I was driving around today. It got to the part about commitment and how a lot of people start something and don't fully commit then they start something else thinking that the grass is greener. He said commit 100% to anything and see what happens, only great things can happen. That's the way I was thinking the last few days and after hearing GC say that I said I'm going all in on my business now. 100% commitment.

14. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,995
    Wow. You just made MY day!

It's so refreshing to see a champion get up, dust himself off a little, and go forward, come hell or high water (I don't know where that saying came from, but it has a nice ring to it!).

It's all mental. Congrats on opening up your mind and harnessing your potential! That's what defines a winner!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Andy Black and momomaurice like this.
  15. KLaw

KLaw Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,692
  16. Dubidu

Dubidu Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $787
    I've mentioned on another thread that through my work I encounter a lot of entrepreneurs and as a result they made me want to do my own thing which I'm pursuing. Mine is product based but I can tell you of one client - I couldn't believe there was this much money in car washes. He is worth 35m. The bulk of that was from setting up car washing businesses. He invested in property too but that was not how he made his money. The example he gave was the relatively recent freak snow storm in Germany (this was earlier in the year when I saw him). He said the result for his business was exponential; apparently people just can't be bothered to wash their cars anymore (in my head I thought I would have either washed it myself or paid a child pocket money to do it for me!) but he is the entrepreneur and I am not (yet!). Keep going, it'll be worth it in the end I'm sure. Good luck!

MidwestLandlord and Andy Black like this.
  17. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $884
    Thanks man I appreciate the heads up. That was also another plan I had in my head, mobile car washing. I was going to buy a van and call to peoples homes or where they worked and washed their cars. Sounds now like there's money in that too

Andy Black likes this.
  18. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $159,027
    I wonder if people book car washing in advance at set intervals? Weekly, bi-weekly, monthly? I know a lot of (property) cleaning companies use booking/scheduling software like Launch27. Maybe it can be used for mobile car washing, and maybe some clients would want to set it up and forget about it?

Ken Elshoff likes this.
  19. momomaurice

Rep Bank:
    $884
    You'd definately think people with fancy cars who like to show off would like their car spotless especially in the summer time and the time they'd save by having it automatically done.

Andy Black likes this.
  20. Dubidu

Dubidu Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $787
    I'm a lady but you're welcome! Now if only I could sort my own life out :)

momomaurice and Andy Black like this.
  21. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $36,543
    The firm my old realtor owned had a mobile washer show up every Friday morning (to get ready for the weekends, which are busy for residential realtors), and wash every car in the parking lot. Even the receptionist's car.

I've tried to sneak my car in there for a wash...but no luck. :rofl:

In my area of the USA (north, lots of snow), tunnel washes with a monthly fee based "wash all you want" is big business. I imagine taking that same model and making it mobile would work well especially if he's in an area like mine where the first nice day has car wash lines 2-3 blocks long.

More like directly after precipitation. Rain/Snow = dirty car.

22. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $159,027
    That’s smart of him to get all the cars cleaned. I wonder who else sees getting their cars cleaned as an investment? Taxis, limos, bus/coach companies, salesmen, etc.

Good try @MidwestLandlord. Made me laugh.

MidwestLandlord likes this.
  23. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,538
    Construction equipment.

Invictus likes this.
  24. Flybye

Flybye Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $725
    There are a few ways you could look at this.
    As some have said, hire people. Problem is not everyone likes the back end management work. Some prefer not to be in management to be able to be right on the front lines. If you can be without doing any of this work yourself, then manage some people!

So there are the people that dont care at all of the work they are managing. You could be running 100 different companies ranging from growing rice to spinning carbon fiber. If it makes money, you love running it. But some people need a real passion for what they have. Some get bored, sell the business, and move on to a business they really enjoy.

Genius01 likes this.
  25. Beast Of Ecom

Beast Of Ecom Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $337
    Your time is money

Don't trade your time for money. If you run a business this way you are basically an employee.

Get a business loan/investment from friends/family and leverage it if you have a plan in place

Work hard and outsource EG hire someone to take on the majority