The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Hate Doctors, Man..

A post of a ranting nature...

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Just came back from the vet, I know they're not a traditional doctor but the same rule applies.

These people, and I'm generalizing here, will do anything to make a few extra bucks off you. "Oh looks like you need this vaccine, oh it looks like there's an issue here too", "hey come back next time for a much needed follow-up", "hey here's this medicine that you can do without".

Goddamn man, they are evil scum lol. Don't know they that they are dealing with the health and livelihood of actual living beings?

When capitalism was invented Adam Smith spoke of "enlightened self-interest", meaning that pursuing your self interest is and should help the common good.

These types of people have turned capitalism into something grotesque and parasitic, it's disgusting.

Goddamn, fu*k these guys lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
If it wasn't for some badass doctors in my life when I was younger, I'd be dead.

I hear ya, but I also disagree. It's a business like any other.

Now, cosmetic surgeons that prey on insecurities? Yeah, scum for sure.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
You can argue that a lot of prescription drugs are a waste of money and only mask symptoms instead of fixing the root of the problem (usually diet and exercise).

Some are legit though, I had shingles once and needed a huge pill to get rid of it.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
I think as business people, we're just hyper-sensitive to sales pitches. I analyze way too many things. :)
You're right, we can see right through their bullshit now
If it wasn't for some badass doctors in my life when I was younger, I'd be dead.

I hear ya, but I also disagree. It's a business like any other.

You're one of the lucky ones, I've encountered scummy money hungry doctors for the most part.

They treat you like commodities and not human beings. It's one thing if this were a lawyer, but your health is the important thing you have in life. And for someone to exploit you on that, that's as low as it gets.

One time I went to two dermatologist for this rash I was having an issue with. The first one I went to prescribed me this expensive a$$ medicine and kept insisting I come back for a useless follow-up.

After weeks of using that medicine and seeing no improvement I went to another dermatologist. This dude was like hey you're fine, it'll go away by itself and you should stop using that medicine. I shook his hand and thanked him so much, doctors like that are rare.

If you have a good and honest doctor, cherish him.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Yeah no.. I'm going to disagree with you. As someone who's married to a fantastic vet and just watched her suffer through school..

First off, how much money do you think Vets make? I mean, they're always pushing stuff at the clinic, they must be rich right? Average starting salary for a vet is $65,000. My wife spent $300,000 plus on in state tuition. Veterinarians have one of the worst debt-income ratios for professionals.

Do you know what the average MD makes? In my area, around $130,000 and their school for public institution is less expensive.

Also, veterinarians typically LOSE money on vaccines.

Are there bad vets? Sure. But the majority of them are doctors who genuinely care about the health of their patient.

I listen daily to my wife cry about patients that get shitty quality of life because their owners won't do a certain procedure or take her professional advice because google says you can just give them an aspirin (which kills dogs btw).

So yeah, your vet actually wanted the best quality of life for your pet, but you're mentally conditioned to think anything with a dollar amount is a sales pitch.

Oh, also Vets are the top 5 suicide rates by profession.

I get that you're trying to joke about it, forgive me if I take it personal.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Say what you will about the Canadian healthcare system, but I've never once been offered anything extra by any doctor I've gone to. Hell I had to twist the arm of a doctor to get antibiotics for my son last year.

Vets though? Yeah, I love animals but I'm not going to lie when I say that vet bills on a previous pet is a main reason I currently don't own an animal.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Yeah no.. I'm going to disagree with you. As someone who's married to a fantastic vet and just watched her suffer through school..

First off, how much money do you think Vets make? I mean, they're always pushing stuff at the clinic, they must be rich right? Average starting salary for a vet is $65,000. My wife spent $300,000 plus on in state tuition. Veterinarians have one of the worst debt-income ratios for professionals.

Do you know what the average MD makes? In my area, around $130,000 and their school for public institution is less expensive.

Also, veterinarians typically LOSE money on vaccines.

Are there bad vets? Sure. But the majority of them are doctors who genuinely care about the health of their patient.

I listen daily to my wife cry about patients that get shitty quality of life because their owners won't do a certain procedure or take her professional advice because google says you can just give them an aspirin (which kills dogs btw).

So yeah, your vet actually wanted the best quality of life for your pet, but you're mentally conditioned to think anything with a dollar amount is a sales pitch.

Oh, also Vets are the top 5 suicide rates by profession.

I get that you're trying to joke about it, forgive me if I take it personal.
I said I was speaking in general terms, I don't know anything about your wife lol. This is based on my personal experience and most who live around me

But I don't understand your argument, so because they made a CHOICE to go to college and get into debt its ok for them to treat clients like commodities and try to make as much money as possible from them, rather than giving them the treatment that they or whoever is being treated needs?

That's not fair or reasonable.

We're talking about our health and the health of our loved ones, not a store or a car.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Read "I hate doctors"
Clicked link
Read "I just came back from the vet"
Insert uncontrollable laughter.

Brian.png

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I said I was speaking in general terms, I don't know anything about your wife lol. This is based on my personal experience and most who live around me

But I don't understand your argument, so because they made a CHOICE to go to college and get into debt its ok for them to treat clients like commodities and try to make as much money as possible from them, rather than giving them the treatment that they or whoever is being treated needs?

That's not fair or reasonable.

We're talking about our health and the health of our loved ones, not a store or a car.

First, my wife could give two shits about money. She grew up dirt poor and went to school to become a doctor to pursue her passion, to help animals. She has no desire to make money, hence why I bust my a$$ to provide for our family. I think it's admirable.

And you PERCEIVE that they're trying to make money. I'll play devils advocate... your cat just ate half a skein of yarn. It's impacted and will die. Who's obligation is it to fix this problem?

Who's responsible for footing the bill?

When I see that surgery is needed I see cost: anesthesia, cost for technician, cost for surgical supplies, cost for recovery meds. All most clients see is that they're being charged $2,000 for a surgery. Do you know what that same surgery costs in human medicine? At least $15,000.

The difference between vet and human medicine is insurance. Insurance foots the bill for treatment, so the price has become inflated. In vet med, they charge at cost for most things.

Most surgeries are a loss for vets also.

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
First, my wife could give two shits about money. She grew up dirt poor and went to school to become a doctor to pursue her passion, to help animals. She has no desire to make money, hence why I bust my a$$ to provide for our family. I think it's admirable.

And you PERCEIVE that they're trying to make money. I'll play devils advocate... your cat just ate half a skein of yarn. It's impacted and will die. Who's obligation is it to fix this problem?

Who's responsible for footing the bill?

When I see that surgery is needed I see cost: anesthesia, cost for technician, cost for surgical supplies, cost for recovery meds. All most clients see is that they're being charged $2,000 for a surgery. Do you know what that same surgery costs in human medicine? At least $15,000.

The difference between vet and human medicine is insurance. Insurance foots the bill for treatment, so the price has become inflated. In vet med, they charge at cost for most things.

Most surgeries are a loss for vets also.
Listen, I understand where you're coming from since your wife is a vet and all, but I don't know your wife nor am I speaking about her lol.

I'm merely speaking from my personal experience and expressing the sentiments that millions of other Americans feel as well.

Every profession has their problems and struggles, oh well, you made a choice to enter that profession. Nobody put a gun to their head.

McDonald's employees struggle with money and paying rent and they feel that they should get paid more, I'm sure we all know what this forum's opinion on something like that is...

If my cat ate a skin of yarn, then yeah of course I'm willing to pay the price. But that's such a specific situation and I'm speaking from a generalized point of view.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Honestly, I would take my vet's health advice over my general physician...for me.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
My wife goes on these rants all the time, vaccines, the pharma industry, whatever.

All I can say is that profit motive, for whatever else it lacks, is sure to bring some competence into the equation.

I go to church with nice people. I have nice people over to my house for dinner. If somebody is cutting my body open, all I want is competence. I want the dude who's self-interest is to keep me alive, even if only so I can pay his bills.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
You had a bad experience with a vet, now suddenly all doctors are bad? Dude, that's not a fair judgement at all.

Say what you will about the Canadian healthcare system, but I've never once been offered anything extra by any doctor I've gone to. Hell I had to twist the arm of a doctor to get antibiotics for my son last year.
I'm quite thankful for our medical system, honestly. Two of my relatives in the US have gotten surgeries they didn't even need, all so the surgeon could collect a hefty payment. I've talked a lot of shit about our system in the past, but now I'm becoming more appreciative.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Business over good care.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The cure for cancer already exists but it's not good for business so it doesn't exist.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
It's frustrating because the stakes are so high, but some of the problem is frame of reference. In the scope of human history as a whole, it was up until about 5 minutes ago that people were dying from shit that can be cured with like $5 in antibiotics now. Gratitude is the key to sanity.

Also, if something pisses you off, odds are it pisses other people off too, and what you're really seeing is an opportunity to add value for others.

Just sayin'.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.

My dentist does this. Hate it.

Go in for a checkup and he asks "So are you happy with your smile? It would be pretty easy to fix xyz"

"I didn't even know xyz was a problem"

"Oh it's not, it would just make your smile nicer"

"Then get back to your job of keeping me healthy!"*

*Obviously don't say this, but it winds me up. I'm not in the least insecure, but he does the same to my sister, who could certainly do without being told her "smile could be better"

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The cure for cancer already exists but it's not good for business so it doesn't exist.
I highly doubt this. Curing cancer involves extensive manipulation of the human genome, something modern science has just recently begun to understand, let alone try and manipulate.

I agree that pharma companies wouldn't be thrilled about many of their drugs becoming obsolete, but the notion that they have the cure for cancer locked up in a vault in one of these company's headquarters sounds ludicrous.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
My dentist does this. Hate it.

Go in for a checkup and he asks "So are you happy with your smile? It would be pretty easy to fix xyz"

"I didn't even know xyz was a problem"

"Oh it's not, it would just make your smile nicer"

"Then get back to your job of keeping me healthy!"*

*Obviously don't say this, but it winds me up. I'm not in the least insecure, but he does the same to my sister, who could certainly do without being told her "smile could be better"

lmao just say it!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I highly doubt this. Curing cancer involves extensive manipulation of the human genome, something modern science has just recently begun to understand, let alone try and manipulate.

I agree that pharma companies wouldn't be thrilled about many of their drugs becoming obsolete, but the notion that they have the cure for cancer locked up in a vault in one of these company's headquarters sounds ludicrous.

They say military technology is decades ahead of what is revealed to the public.
I suspect the same for medical tech.

EDIT:
Yes excuse my wording, i meant a drug that could treat cancer effectively and safely. No human genome manipulation required.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I hate when I'm at the eye store or whatever it's called and I'm getting prescriptions and they pitch everything to me: night vision, anti-glare, tints, ray bans, hd clarity etc.

Just give me some freaking glasses that help me
See better. I don't feel like spending $600, sheesh.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Telemedicine and menu based calls will minimize some of these. Hard to slide you into another test when you are on the phone and not in person. Menu based will allow you to "prepay" at a reduced rate for a specific service, up to you to say no to the add ons. (Actually, always up to you to say no to the add ons.) When a doctor suggests an additional test for me or my family, our question is, how will that test affect what treatment protocol you will follow today? If they don't have an explanation that the results would definitely change their course of action, then the test is not necessary, just billable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.