The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to keep employees for long?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Hey guys, I've started window cleaning and it's... Going well, heh.

So the question is... I know the business is to help people. Right.

And I want to expand, and I want to expand seriously.
To expand I need employees, and the thing is employees... When they see that all they need is to clean windows, why would they not walk away and do it themselves?

I thought about giving them some bonuses and equipment, that's for sure. I have some ideas on how to help my people in the ways that others did not.
So...How do you keep employees happy with what they have and not leaving?

The main way I see right now is door-to-door.

Cheers,
Max

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

canone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 20, 2019
I don't know how the window cleaning business works exactly, but here is just my input:
1. When you do contracts with your clients, maybe you can integrate a clause that "recruiting" your employees is forbidden. Also do the same when you hire employees.
2. To keep your employers, create a happy culture with a nice bright branding color + shirts (for unity) would help a lot. If you have the money to hire managers, I would hire energetic and humorous managers so they can always cheer them up and everything.
3. Hire employees that you think are loyal in the first place. Skills can always be learned, but integrity, loyalty and things like that are difficult to change once you're an adult (unless one becomes religious or has an epiphany etc.). So then you don't have to worry about them leaving or betraying you.

Hope you can build on these points for your venture brother. Good luck!

PaulMarin

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Mar 2, 2017
Costar Rica

To expand I need employees, and the thing is employees... When they see that all they need is to clean windows, why would they not walk away and do it themselves?

I thought about giving them some bonuses and equipment, that's for sure. I have some ideas on how to help my people in the ways that others did not.

Cheers,
Max

Hi Max,

I may give you my two cents from the employee perspective. The thing is that I've done many jobs throughout my 50 years. Even when I have some college education, without a title you are as good as if you didn't get even to high school.

Knowing so many types of people in my working experience, I can tell you something you already know: Entrepreneurship is not for everybody.

You may have one hundred employees cleaning windows and one or two may have the entrepreneurship worm. Most people that are used to living paycheck to paycheck and performing a couple of repetitive tasks have no interest in changing that to start doing a bunch of other mind-numbing tasks like getting new customers or recovering old ones, negotiating, giving quotes, paying insurance, calculating bonuses for employees, managing and supervising the job for every employee and so forth.

It would be best if you profiled a worker that is happy with a simple job and a constant and timely paycheck. Try to avoid people with higher aspirations. They might be begging for any job they would call "temporary" due to some unexpected layoff on a previous job. They will probably get burned very fast and might get weird thoughts like creating their own window cleaning services.

If you don't have a human resources department, it might be helpful to look for the right workers' profiles and politely get rid of potential issues.

Also, I agree with the idea offered above. A contract might prevent an employee from trying to become your direct competitor.

Finally, it is worth repeating that an employee will be happy if you pay on time and recognize any extra effort like overtime. It doesn't hurt if you implement the option of VTO (voluntary time off) It might surprise you how many would jump to the opportunity of using some time available for their personal activities resulting in more money kept in your pockets.

Again, just my 2 cents!

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
I don't know how the window cleaning business works exactly, but here is just my input:
1. When you do contracts with your clients, maybe you can integrate a clause that "recruiting" your employees is forbidden. Also do the same when you hire employees.
2. To keep your employers, create a happy culture with a nice bright branding color + shirts (for unity) would help a lot. If you have the money to hire managers, I would hire energetic and humorous managers so they can always cheer them up and everything.
3. Hire employees that you think are loyal in the first place. Skills can always be learned, but integrity, loyalty and things like that are difficult to change once you're an adult (unless one becomes religious or has an epiphany etc.). So then you don't have to worry about them leaving or betraying you.

Hope you can build on these points for your venture brother. Good luck!
Shit. Feels like scamming people tbh. Like being loyal to a man who kinda rips you off is offsetting.

You know, I am planning to give each one of them a copy of TMF , and even Unscripted maybe. I would be happy if 1 in 3 wakes up.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Cheers,
Max
Yes, they can ALWAYS leave no matter what contract they sign or agreement you have with them. The customers can ALWAYS hire them out from under you no matter what you do. Someone can set up a competing business across the street from you if they want to do that. That's the naked truth. But, you can set up situations where that rarely happens. How do you build a team? Yes, loyalty is based upon their character and who they are. But, that is the second part of the question, not the controlling factor.

Who you attract as employees, partners, and friends is a direct reflection of who you are and how you conduct your life. You want to be magnetic to good people and you want bad guys to run like hell when they see you coming. You want to lead your company by being a person of high character and compassion. You want the people around you to respect and love you. That's how you build a team and keep them working. Realize that they are working for a common goal and vision. If you are the kind of leader I'm talking about, they will fight to get a job with you and keep it.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Cheers,
Max
Hey I don't know how long you have been doing window cleaning for but I think you just made you first few hundred, right ?

If that is the case just do the work for a bit untill you have enough reoccurring jobs to give someone at least 10 hours of work a week.

Thinking about employee retention right now is 100% the wrong problem to focus on.
You businesses constraint right now 100% is that you don't have enough customers.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Hey I don't know how long you have been doing window cleaning for but I think you just made you first few hundred, right ?

If that is the case just do the work for a bit untill you have enough reoccurring jobs to give someone at least 10 hours of work a week.

Thinking about employee retention right now is 100% the wrong problem to focus on.
You businesses constraint right now 100% is that you don't have enough customers.
Hm... I don't actually have any reoccurring jobs...
Did almost 700 for the past 3 days. Shit.
Yesterday I had 3 out of 5 people saying yes, and I did 384€, but today it is worse...

Right.

Would doing business cards and saying "we usually do jobs every 2 months, would you like us to come around in then?" and scheduling it?

Also, I haven't collected peoples contact numbers, should I? (they usually contact mine, but noone has called back so far)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hm... I don't actually have any reoccurring jobs...
Did almost 700 for the past 3 days. Shit.
Yesterday I had 3 out of 5 people saying yes, and I did 384€, but today it is worse...

Right.

Would doing business cards and saying "we usually do jobs every 2 months, would you like us to come around in then?" and scheduling it?

Also, I haven't collected peoples contact numbers, should I? (they usually contact mine, but noone has called back so far)
It's NOT their job to call you back. It's your job. Ask them IF it's ok to call them back. Get permission. Then ask for their contact info. Do they want a text? a call? a knock on their door? What is their preference?

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
It's NOT their job to call you back. It's your job. Ask them IF it's ok to call them back. Get permission. Then ask for their contact info. Do they want a text? a call? a knock on their door? What is their preference?
Hm. I don't know, they all just ask for my number and that's it. Usually it's not my initiative.

Right. After yesterday, today feels like a terrible day and it all seems hopeless.

Edit: total BS, sorry.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hm. I don't know, they all just ask for my number and that's it. Usually it's not my initiative.

Right. After yesterday, today feels like a terrible day and it all seems hopeless.
Do you own the business? Do, you need customers to patronize your business? Do you want to get paid in the future? Do you want referrals? Do you want to create hope and a real business?

JuampiAAAJ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jul 8, 2023
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes!! I think that you can use it to generate a database and use it in your favor.

For example, you can use it to:
- Check which ones call you again.
- Offers
- If you want to adjust prices, you have a tangible way to see it.
- Which employee is working more than the others...

Probably is better starting small and then you just adjust the database to your need

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Going one step further, when you are done with a job, ask them if they are happy. If they are, take out your phone, open the calendar app and ask them when they would like you and your team to come back. Make sure to email them a copy of the appointment.

And confirm the appointment the day before via email or phone call.

Then the next time you guys come back, you have an idea of how long in between so just tell them you'll be back in another 2 months or however long it was...

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Going when step further, when you are done with a job, ask them if they are happy. If they are, take out your phone, open the calendar app and ask them when they would like you and your team to come back. Make sure to email them a copy of the appointment.

And confirm the appointment the day before via email or phone call.

Then the next time you guys come back, you have an idea of how long in between so just tell them you'll be back in another 2 months or however long it was...
And send them a link to your GMB reviews and your Facebook page reviews, and ask for a nice review.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Most people aren't interested in starting a business. They are happy just going to work, getting a paycheck and going home.

Most peoples aspirations are a higher paying job.

I wouldn't worry about it.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Do you own the business? Do, you need customers to patronize your business? Do you want to get paid in the future? Do you want referrals? Do you want to create hope and a real business?
Yes, sorry.
Todo list:
1. Get referrals every single damn time
2. Expand services
3.Find a ladder or buy if I need to. (DONE)
4. I found and employee, and now I need to sell and find people, not
5 (looming) I need to present myself better. Somehow, no idea how. I feel a lack of trust in me. Good professional clothing must do the job.
6. Get an Irish number finally, people in Orlando don't have to call on
And send them a link to your GMB reviews and your Facebook page reviews, and ask for a nice review.
ooh, Google Maps Business... Didn't think about this one.
Should take some photos today, too.
Facebook page... "help people, get paid, help more people" Must come in play.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yes, sorry.
Todo list:
1. Get referrals every single damn time
2. Expand services
3.Find a ladder or buy if I need to. (DONE)
4. I found and employee, and now I need to sell and find people, not
5 (looming) I need to present myself better. Somehow, no idea how. I feel a lack of trust in me. Good professional clothing must do the job.
6. Get an Irish number finally, people in Orlando don't have to call on

ooh, Google Maps Business... Didn't think about this one.
Should take some photos today, too.
Facebook page... "help people, get paid, help more people" Must come in play.
You go!!!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.