The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to force myself to do things?

Anything related to matters of the mind

newbie998

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,
I found this forum because I had started reading the Fastlane Book. I want to become rich, but I just simply can't force myself to do things. I want to become programmer, but I can't really get myself to write code regularly. Maybe I'm just lazy, everything I do is going to high school, working out at gym, reading some books, doing sport. I really want to be rich with fastlane, but I don't know how if can't get myself to earn money

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hello,
I found this forum because I had started reading the Fastlane Book. I want to become rich, but I just simply can't force myself to do things. I want to become programmer, but I can't really get myself to write code regularly. Maybe I'm just lazy, everything I do is going to high school, working out at gym, reading some books, doing sport. I really want to be rich with fastlane, but I don't know how if can't get myself to earn money

Do you brush your teeth each day? If so, how do you force yourself to do that?

newbie998

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 29, 2019
I mean, I can't force myself to do more challenging things than these I do now
I brush teeth because I have to do it to be healthy and clean

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Listen to this video. Maybe twice. Maybe three times.

Think about it.

You are a free spirit. Tyranny can't hold you down. Not even if you're the tyrant.

This is your answer. It really isn't any more complicated than this. If you listen to this and keep searching your problem might be that you are confused about what you actually want and that's a whole other story.

View: https://youtu.be/HLP7jEVIh8U

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Hey Newbie!

First, I don't love your name. It kinda implies that you'll be new forever and that you aren't going to stick around after this thread. Prove me wrong!

You might get a lot of value out of this thread:
What's your why?

Also, read Unscripted . There's a big section in there about why it's important to find your WHY and just how to go about doing it.
Another great book is Start With Why by Simon Sinek... but to get started right now, just watch his TED talk:

newbie998

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 29, 2019
I just want to be rich, have expensive clothes, cars, have pretty girls and be muscular. These are all my dreams. I know, maybe my dreams seem to be funny, but really, I want people to be jealous when they see me in a brand new car.
I thought I can start making websites, but I did a few attempts to programming and I can't force myself to do it more. I think that I'm not that lazy, I go to gym every other day and do well at school.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I mean, I can't force myself to do more challenging things than these I do now
I brush teeth because I have to do it to be healthy and clean

You don't have to force yourself to do more challenging things. Learning to program is no more difficult than learning to brush your teeth. You just have to show up and try a little each day.

You don't brush your teeth because you have to do it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head. The reason you do it day after day is because you made it into a habit by showing up each day even if you don't brush your teeth the same amount of time each day.

When do you have time for programming? How much time? Even 5 or 10 minutes is enough. Do it the same time each day. Even if it's just 1 minute. Show up. Increase a little each day as your habit muscles grow stronger. In a year you'll be pretty good.

When I started piano I really sucked. And because I sucked I didn't want to do it. But I showed up, put my fingers on the keys and did ANY amount I could. Even if that was only 5 minutes. That was a couple years ago. Now I can play a bunch of songs.

Same thing with exercising. I hate exercising. But I have a light six pack because I show up and I try and even if it's only 5 minutes, at least I made an effort and reinforced my habit of showing up.

The first step is to build a habit of showing up. Over time you also have to increase the intensity of your training. Otherwise you'll just end up with a habit of showing up and only putting in 5 minutes of effort! Once you get in a habit of showing up, then push your training time a bit longer each day. Or learn one hard thing that day and spend less time. Either way, still show up.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I just want to be rich, have expensive clothes, cars, have pretty girls and be muscular. These are all my dreams. I know, maybe my dreams seem to be funny, but really, I want people to be jealous when they see me in a brand new car.
I thought I can start making websites, but I did a few attempts to programming and I can't force myself to do it more. I think that I'm not that lazy, I go to gym every other day and do well at school.

This post is going to attract negative responses. I'm not sure how you found this forum, but it can potentially change your life. First you have to understand how the forum works, and the kind of people it can and cannot help and the kind of mindset you will need to find success here. To do that starts with reading The Millionaire Fastlane. Get a copy of that, read it then revisit this thread.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012

Nothing wrong with having these goals through science would say that you won't end up happy even if you achieve them.
All your motivations seems to be external. Extrinsic goals are not very motivating for taking action and overcoming hardship.
Intrinsic goals on the other end are not only more fullfulling but they are also correlated with a higher chance of achievement.

Google "Intrinsic VS. Extrinsic Goals" and see if you can add some intrinsic motivations and goals to your life. ;)

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019
Hello,

This is where mindfulness can come in.

Keep in mind this doesn’t happen overnight. We are trying to reverse years and years of habit.

The next time you realize that you’re avoiding doing something, step back and say to yourself, ok. I’m going to sit down and do this. Whatever feelings, emotions come up as a result of doing that task, just accept them. You’ll find that over time, they lose their control over you.

The hardest part of being mindful is remembering to be mindful, rather than the actual practice of acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HINIK3pIOp4

819ZixpQzUL.jpg

the-habit-loop.jpg

cue.gif

1*At96l1lIgub9wTkiKxkJWg.jpeg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljqra3BcqWM

41wsgvkoW2L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51-wab4ujqL.jpg

Roulf

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 6, 2017
Ontario
Only thing I can say to you is that I am kinda in the same boat.

What I figured out after some research is that I probably have some level of depression. The last few years made me lose all my drive to achieve anything. It's very nihilistic and hard to deal with but I do have a plan on how to get help etc.

I moved back with my family and applied to a few shitty jobs just so I can use social services for mental health (need to be employed for that). Moved back with my family and will get back into exercising with my brother next week.

I'm not sure if this is your case but hope this comment can help. I'm also studying IT stuff and hope to get up to speed as soon as possible.

newbie998

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 29, 2019
do you think it can be depression? maybe I should visit psychologist or psychiatrist

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
yeah but, WHY do you want those things?
And if you really want to be muscular, for example, what's stopping you from going to a gym today?

do you think it can be depression? maybe I should visit psychologist or psychiatrist
Take this test: FREE 3 Minute Depression Test & Screening. Get Instant Results.
If you are depressed, contact a pro to help you get a solid diagnosis.

Honestly, I did go through a depression and I realize in hindsight that I should have gotten help. However, I also got myself out of it by joining a gym; setting 1, 3, 5, and 10 year goals for myself; then taking the first steps toward my goals.

Listen, you've gotten a lot of in-depth help in this thread. The last step is for you to take action. Even if it means you contact a therapist.

If your next reply doesn't have some concrete action you are taking, I'm checking out of the thread.

newbie998

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 29, 2019
yeah but, WHY do you want those things?
And if you really want to be muscular, for example, what's stopping you from going to a gym today?
I have been going to gym since one year.
Your Score: Severe Depression
maybe I should visit therapist, but I don't know which: psychiatrist or psychologist

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Fastlane is not about how to become rich. It's about how to build a life which impacts Millions of People and then becoming rich.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
maybe I should visit therapist, but I don't know which: psychiatrist or psychologist
This is beyond our help then.
Give a psychologist/psychiatrist's office a call and they can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Mate, some reallly crucial advice that i must give is to keep it simple. If you keep looking for hacks, self improvement books,blogs,quick quotes, and that sort of crap to solve this problem it won't work. Keep it simple and just do it. And this is coming from someone who is always looking for the answers to things. Yes it is laziness like u said, because the definition of laziness is the unwillingness to do things. even if u can only do for example programming 5 minutes a day keep building it up you will eventually get used to it and u can do more work.

For example when I started programming I couldn't watch a 2minute video without getting tired as F*ck. Not sure why but overtime I got better to where I could code all day. There is some grind that you need to push through, it will be hard at first but you will get used to it.

Oh and another thing no book will save u, u will only change something until it affects u enough. Don't do that unless u want to waste a ton of time.

As others have said it's all about habit.

Wish u all the best man.

Eric L

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 9, 2015
Nairobi
Make it stupid simple for you to do, for example i used to try and force myself to go to the gym 3 times a week but i would burn out. Instead i would have a goal of just doing 1 push up a day, over time i naturally felt like doing more and a few months later going to the gym consistently became a habit and i would feel like shit if i didn't go to the gym.

So for now program for even 5 minutes a day, even less if you still feel a struggle but the main goal is to do it everyday and it will become a habit that you will naturally expand on eventually.

Fassina

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2018
Brazil
Atomic Habits by James Clear. It's really good too. Also Checklist Manifesto.

Basically you want to form habits, and have checklists on the things you do daily.
PS. Time is limited, so if you want to do X you may have to stop doing Y..

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hello,

I see several angles on this that need to be worked on.

First, you are in high school. Not an insult, just an observation. You are young and have a lot of learning and growing yet to do. Don't be so hard on yourself, you sound like a normal high schooler to me. They want a lot of things but really don't understand what it will take to fulfill those wants.

Second, you want, or goal, is too broad and vague to be motivating. I don't really see a good why. Your wants don't get your blood boiling and keep you awake at night. If your wants motivate you it will be what you eat, sleep, and think about, it will be what drives you past everyone else. I don't get that from your posts. You might check out some why's.

Lots of new faces here since I was active. What's your why?

Third, you probably and rightfully, live in your parent's house. You may or may not have a source of income. Everything is paid for and provided for your comfort. You are too comfortable. When you get out and get a shit job, drive a beater, pay your own rent for a low class apartment, and use worn out second hand furniture you get motivation. You will look around and see, hear, smell, and feel how tough life can be and that experience will drive you to get out of the situation. You have to get out of your comfort zone to feel alive.

Depression was mentioned and I have no experience to help with that.

My 2 cents....finish high school and begin making specific plans for after high school. Being rich is not a plan, how to get there is a plan. What will be the first 5 steps after graduation? Which one of those steps can be implemented now?

Good luck on your journey.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Go help folks?

That's my hack. When it's to better my own life then I'll take my foot off the accelerator. I'm comfortable enough thanks. Make it about someone else and then I get suddenly motivated. YMMV.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Small positive successes.

Want $1000? Make $1.
Lose 100 lbs? Lose 1 lb.

Chart your progress on the wall and give yourself positive reinforcement every step of the way!

You will do it!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hello,
i believe perhaps it is first changing your perception of thinking. The words you used above.
Force
Lazy
These two words make it sound like it's a chore to be successful. This might be in your conditioning or programming. My mother and father forced me to do? They stated, "I was lazy and unmotivated." They projected a certain idea about you at face value. "Is it true?"

My Teachers, Professor, or Boss told me "I must do these things in order to gain something I wanted from them. I was forced to educate myself about topics I wasn't interested in. When I didn't perform, they stated, "I was lazy and unmotivated."

When you are an Entrepreneur, your Authority is you. You're the Parent, the Teacher, the Professor, the Boss, the Baby Sitter. No one else is there, but you.

You have a choice to embrace whatever you choose to focus on as your opportunity and make it happen.

How you use your time is up to you. If you're not working on Entrepreneurship, is someone forcing you too play video games, watching television, hanging out in social media, sitting a venue watching a concert, or sitting in a beer tent? Nope. No one forced you to sit there and be entertained. You're sitting there because it entertains your focus and attention.

Which as Entrepreneur instead of being the audience, you're the creator of Entertainment. You're creating the fun, the joy, the amusement, and capturing someone else's focus and attention.

What did you learn about being the audience, the follower, and how do you get on the other side of the fence now and create the entertainment.

That can be a app, website, dog toy, video game, building a entertainment venue in the physical, building a race track, designing a golf course, designing costumes, the opportunities go on.

You're only forced to do what you absolutely hate by some tyrant that believes you need to be forced to scrub the floor with a tooth brush. You might find that in the Military if you want to sign up.

You're only lazy if you sit around your whole life doing nothing productive other than sitting on a couch drinking a beer, smoking pot, and day dreaming all day about unimportant things in life which lead to no where.

Lazy means not taking action. Not moving your mind and body in a forward or backward motion. Not using your brain and intelligence.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hello,
No one likes it. Except born compulsive workaholics. You are very normal.

Most of the motivational guru stuff are fluff. They get you excited and discipline for a few days before you sink back into laziness again.

You need a ritual to break the habit of not taking action, whenever you want to do something logically but do not feeling like doing it.

A weak dose of such medication can be the “NASA count down method”. A lady invented that. You can google it. Basically you count down from five to one and force yourself to start something.

I consider myself someone with a high inertia and need a stronger dose. I am a history book lover. I imagine myself as a Japanese soldier shouting Benzai and doing a suicide charge against heavy enemy fire. Then after getting hyped up immediately I proceed to do what I hate to do. It feels relatively much easier to kick start anything.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I wanted all those things too and then once I started to get the girls, have stuff and be cool...I realized I was just insecure.

Now, being secure in who I am and not looking to prove anything to the world, I want to make it a better place.

I am also a little lazy but people think the opposite of me. That’s because I ONLY do shit that matters. I don’t go to school. I don’t have a job and bills and a bunch of other bullshit. No wife. No kids. Just my business and me. I take major efficient actions that will bring results and that’s all I do. I can spend half the day doing nothing but a few major steps towards my goals every single day without wasting my years in a marriage or in school is the reason I’m ahead and only 22.

So be patient, ask yourself if your goals are based on your insecurities (they are), and forgive yourself for being lazy. Just stay away from the big traps like getting married or staying in a lame job. Just start the business and keep going, it doesn’t matter if you sleep in until noon. I did today.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I consider myself someone with a high inertia and need a stronger dose. I am a history book lover. I imagine myself as a Japanese soldier shouting Benzai and doing a suicide charge against heavy enemy fire. Then after getting hyped up immediately I proceed to do what I hate to do. It feels relatively much easier to kick start anything.
Visualization & Visionary.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.