The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Find A Software Developer That Will Work For Free

BeauregardDM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 1, 2018
I've found a niche app that would extremely valuable to others in terms of time savings and other problems.

I've found one other app using this idea very poorly (Rate 1.1/5 stars) and I can easily do better than this by miles.

The problem is that it would take an extremely high-level developer or a group of developers, I'd imagine, to develop the app and I'm a broke 19-year-old with no prior experience and no cash after paying off my student loans.

How can I find developers to work for free as equal partners in the startup. I feel this product would offer tremendous value and should not go unrealized.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Other than finding this other app, what value would you bring to the equation? Can you sell? Do you have customers lined up? Have you created / bootstrapped an MVP? What connections do you have?

You asked 'how'. Put together an entire company plan and a list of ready to buy customers. Show the vision and the need. Show that literally 'all' you need is some developers. Then it should be an easy sell. You might even get bankrolled to hire developers. Get to work.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@Ravens_Shadow has some black magic witchcraft that he’s used to get free developers. Maybe he can chime in.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
@ZCP is pretty much on the money here.

I've built my software company on free and close to free labor.

I pay my developers, who have PHD's, $100 per month. They have vested equity in the company and work their own jobs during the day.

I'm the business end of the stick. I network. I sell. I handle everything from product management to our finances. I do all of our customer support. I communicate with our users.

It's in understanding that sometimes developers just want to code, but be part of something larger. You can give them something larger to work towards if you can guide them. You have to be complimentary. You do the business, they do the coding.

I'm working to acquire/merge with a company that's done millions in revenue with this same "free" principle. They want to code instead of handling business. We'll handle the business for them and help them update their tech so that they can become relevant again.

BeauregardDM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 1, 2018
Other than finding this other app, what value would you bring to the equation? Can you sell? Do you have customers lined up? Have you created / bootstrapped an MVP? What connections do you have?

You asked 'how'. Put together an entire company plan and a list of ready to buy customers. Show the vision and the need. Show that literally 'all' you need is some developers. Then it should be an easy sell. You might even get bankrolled to hire developers. Get to work.

1. I bring ease of use and actually filling the need well (the other app is garbage)
2. I suck at selling but I'll be buying a sales course.
3. Yes there's customers lined up and it's always growing.
4. I need developers to build even an MVP
5. I have 0 connections.

Also, how do I share my idea without having to worry about the developer snatching it and running off on his own?

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
You have to be complimentary.
This, OP. What are you offering? The idea is worth nothing by itself; you'll have to be the "everything else guy" for any developer to join in as the other 50%.

You'll have to convincingly be the sales & marketing, management, accounting, everything.

If you are that, and can prove it to him, you're already most the way there.

The other thing is how many of those bad reviews there are. If there are thousands, you've got a case. If there's just dozens, then it's an indicator there's no money there.

BeauregardDM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 1, 2018
This, OP. What are you offering? The idea is worth nothing by itself; you'll have to be the "everything else guy" for any developer to join in as the other 50%.

You'll have to convincingly be the sales & marketing, management, accounting, everything.

The other thing is how many of those bad reviews there are. If there are thousands, you've got a case. If there's just dozens, then it's an indicator there's no money there.

I just found another app that does it and it has a 3/5 rating with 1800 reviews.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I just found another app that does it and it has a 3/5 rating with 1800 reviews.
The one issue you'll have is: if you tell him the app, and convince him why it's such a good equity deal that it's worth working on with zero wage, why won't he just make it himself? Ideas cost nothing.

You'll need a solid pitch on how you'll do the rest of the work to complement him. A clear marketing plan for instance, an area which engineers rarely want to touch but is necessary for success. Otherwise you're the weak end of the deal.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@BeauregardDM let's flip it ...... i have this idea, it will make bajillions, need you to do all the work, no payment unless it goes big, I'll split it with you 50/50 ...... sound good?

what would be your first question?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Maybe ask this guy..

2018-06-25_1145.png

BeauregardDM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 1, 2018

The other thing is how many of those bad reviews there are. If there are thousands, you've got a case. If there's just dozens, then it's an indicator
@BeauregardDM let's flip it ...... i have this idea, it will make bajillions, need you to do all the work, no payment unless it goes big, I'll split it with you 50/50 ...... sound good?

What's the idea?
How do you know it will work?
Who is doing it?
Who can we sell it to?

d7laungani

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Apr 10, 2018
Texas
I would be interested in hearing you out. I think a proper discussion can be had after you bring up a solid plan with what you can bring to the table. I am a mobile app developer by trade. When you complete your plan PM me and we can go from there.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@ZCP is pretty much on the money here.

I've built my software company on free and close to free labor.

I pay my developers, who have PHD's, $100 per month. They have vested equity in the company and work their own jobs during the day.

I'm the business end of the stick. I network. I sell. I handle everything from product management to our finances. I do all of our customer support. I communicate with our users.

It's in understanding that sometimes developers just want to code, but be part of something larger. You can give them something larger to work towards if you can guide them. You have to be complimentary. You do the business, they do the coding.

I'm working to acquire/merge with a company that's done millions in revenue with this same "free" principle. They want to code instead of handling business. We'll handle the business for them and help them update their tech so that they can become relevant again.

I like your post.

But, in the real world, what if he meets up with the likes of Mark Zuckerberg?

Then his fears will become real. Zuck will steal the idea and develop it himself. He did just that, of course, if you know the history of Facebook.

It is something that needs to be planned for.

Could that happen to you Raven? If not, why not?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Real Deal Denver if you have invented cold fusion, protect your idea. otherwise, you probably do more harm to your long term wealth by not putting yourself out there. sure someone could steal your stuff. but living in fear and not taking the chance will keep you on shore a lot longer than grabbing a boat and rowing.

i mean why leave the house today, someone could wreck your car. a plane could crash on you. blah, blah, blah

get out and take chances. get taken advantage of? you learned and got stronger and will know on your next venture.

most successful business owners had many failures and got burned many times. it gave them the experience to be successful.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I like your post.

But, in the real world, what if he meets up with the likes of Mark Zuckerberg?

Then his fears will become real. Zuck will steal the idea and develop it himself. He did just that, of course, if you know the history of Facebook.

It is something that needs to be planned for.

Could that happen to you Raven? If not, why not?

I'd like to see them try in my particular case. They probably wouldn't make it very far without my help. Not going to not do what I do because I'm scared someone will steal it. I've already have people come and go trying to clone us. They gave up after a month.

My programmers understand that it's a symbiotic relationship and that it's in their best interest, dealing with our product, to stay within company bounds instead of going off on their own.

denis10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 16, 2018
Off topic, sorry, but lead me to think: does anyone know a tool that lets you search for low rated apps with many downloads? Play store doesn't support that. If not, would anyone be interested? I might be able to get something going.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.