The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love, love this idea.
There's an old podcast somewhere where Nathan Barry talks about a local Boise newsletter he started and is growing. I'll dig it out and link to it.

Follow the links in that LinkedIn post i shared above and you should be able to listen to the full podcast when it comes out. I subscribed to the Sparkloop podcast just now so I can listen to it.

I love the idea of localised newsletters/email lists, even if it's a big national newsletter and people are segmented by location (or maybe starts that way).

I also love the idea of doing a newsletter, website/directory, and social media accounts for my town of 22k and county of 220k.

Facebook pages would be great for local, and Twitter accounts are often used to keep locals up to date with local outages, weather reports, school closures, sporting fixtures/results, etc.

Also... I've mentioned this a few times in the forum for those getting started: They could go round local businesses with a camera round their neck saying they're going to add them to the local directory/newsletter. Record and edit videos and send them to the business so they can put them on their own social media accounts or website.

They could also create simple websites for free on the directory for those that don't have websites. I do this all the time for friends who want little websites. I create demarcocleaning.mycountyonline.co.uk and often run Google Ads for free for them.

I'm pretty sure you'd build your network of local business owners faster than joining the local chamber. And who wouldn't want to help a youngster who has initiative, and which business owner wouldn't think a youngester understand the online world better than them anyway?

I'll loop in @Lex DeVille in case he's still working on local Facebook groups etc.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
There's an old podcast somewhere where Nathan Barry talks about a local Boise newsletter he started and is growing. I'll dig it out and link to it.

Follow the links in that LinkedIn post i shared above and you should be able to listen to the full podcast when it comes out. I subscribed to the Sparkloop podcast just now so I can listen to it.

I love the idea of localised newsletters/email lists, even if it's a big national newsletter and people are segmented by location (or maybe starts that way).

I also love the idea of doing a newsletter, website/directory, and social media accounts for my town of 22k and county of 220k.

Facebook pages would be great for local, and Twitter accounts are often used to keep locals up to date with local outages, weather reports, school closures, sporting fixtures/results, etc.

Also... I've mentioned this a few times in the forum for those getting started: They could go round local businesses with a camera round their neck saying they're going to add them to the local directory/newsletter. Record and edit videos and send them to the business so they can put them on their own social media accounts or website.

They could also create simple websites for free on the directory for those that don't have websites. I do this all the time for friends who want little websites. I create demarcocleaning.mycountyonline.co.uk and often run Google Ads for free for them.

I'm pretty sure you'd build your network of local business owners faster than joining the local chamber. And who wouldn't want to help a youngster who has initiative, and which business owner wouldn't think a youngester understand the online world better than them anyway?

I'll loop in @Lex DeVille in case he's still working on local Facebook groups etc.
Andrew Wilkinson of Tiny started a local news publication called Capital Daily for his hometown. Can't remember if he's shared revenue numbers (he probably has) but it got very popular.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2024
Wait...

Beehiiv uses Sendgrid?
Unless I'm missing something obvious, they are in a completely different class of product. Is there any reason why wouldn't they use Sendgrid? Sendgrid is in same category as Postmark, as a foundational part of tech process, beehiv is directed at marketers.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Unless I'm missing something obvious, they are in a completely different class of product. Is there any reason why wouldn't they use Sendgrid? Sendgrid is in same category as Postmark, as a foundational part of tech process, beehiv is directed at marketers.
We use Sendgrid for transactional emails and I've been looking at the likes of Beehiiv, ConvertKit, etc for marketing emails. Maybe we just use Sendgrid.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@MJ DeMarco ... I can't find the podcast I listened to a while back, but here's a write-up Nathan did on his blog:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
@MJ DeMarco ... I can't find the podcast I listened to a while back, but here's a write-up Nathan did on his blog:

An impressive way to spend $62k. Looks like he’s burning cash with, as he said, “no clear path to profitability”.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
An impressive way to spend $62k. Looks like he’s burning cash with, as he said, “no clear path to profitability”.
I think there's pretty clear paths to profitability. It's like a local newspaper so advertising is the first revenue stream that springs to mind.

He did say there's cheaper ways to grow that would have required more of his time. Given he's the founder of ConvertKit then it makes sense he pays other people to create the content and the Facebook campaigns.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I think there's pretty clear paths to profitability. It's like a local newspaper so advertising is the first revenue stream that springs to mind.

He did say there's cheaper ways to grow that would have required more of his time. Given he's the founder of ConvertKit then it makes sense he pays other people to create the content and the Facebook campaigns.
Paths to revenue, not necessarily profitability. And the cheaper ways involved learning several skills which could take months to a year or two to master

Given how much he’s spending and how much it’s bringing in, it looks more like a hobby/charity project than a business

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Paths to revenue, not necessarily profitability. And the cheaper ways involved learning several skills which could take months to a year or two to master

Given how much he’s spending and how much it’s bringing in, it looks more like a hobby/charity project than a business
A few posts up I link to a LinkedIn post where a guy is targeting $1m/year revenue for his 18k local newsletter.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
A few posts up I link to a LinkedIn post where a guy is targeting $1m/year revenue for his 18k local newsletter.
Yeah that looked pretty impressive. What’s he doing differently to Nathan Barry?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah that looked pretty impressive. What’s he doing differently to Nathan Barry?
Nathan Barry's main business is ConvertKit. I guess he's partly doing the local newsletter as an itch he can't scratch, and partly as a case study for how ConvertKit can be used for local newsletters. If local newsletters became the next gold rush then he'd be well placed to sell shovels.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Nathan Barry's main business is ConvertKit. I guess he's partly doing the local newsletter as an itch he can't scratch, and partly as a case study for how ConvertKit can be used for local newsletters. If local newsletters became the next gold rush then he'd be well placed to sell shovels.
I was also thinking that’s the entire point of Nathan’s business experiment

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That podcast is out. Not listened to it yet.

THE BLURB:

This week, SparkLoop's Dylan Redekop chats with Ryan Sneddon of Naptown Scoop, a pioneering local newsletter dedicated to Annapolis, Maryland.

In less than four years, Ryan's grown Naptown Scoop to a full-fledged local media business with a small staff and a target annual revenue of $350k. He plans to grow to over $1M in revenue in the upcoming few years—all from a local newsletter with under 18k subscribers.

In this episode, Dylan & Ryan explore:

* The Genesis of Naptown Scoop: How Ryan's dissatisfaction with traditional employment pathways led him to create a local newsletter that now connects thousands.
* Overcoming Growth Challenges: Strategies and insights on expanding a local newsletter's reach and engagement, including the pivotal role of community involvement.
* Monetization Pathways: From direct advertising to innovative community events, Ryan shares how Naptown Scoop has turned local attention into a thriving business model.
* The Power of Local Influence: How owning a local newsletter opens unparalleled opportunities for business ventures, partnerships, and community impact.
* Future Visions: Ryan's ambitious plans for Naptown Scoop and advice for aspiring newsletter creators looking to make a difference in their communities.
* ...and much more, including Ryan's candid thoughts on the balance between being a local 'celebrity' and a committed newsletter operator.

OTHER LINKS MENTIONED
Naptown Scoop newsletter
The Life of Scoop newsletter
Ryan on LinkedIn
Ryan on Twitter
Dylan on Twitter/X
SparkLoop's Paid Recommendations — the game-changing way to instantly monetize your newsletter.
SparkLoop Partner Programs — grow your newsletter at 10x speed.
SparkLoop Affiliate Contest — recommend other newsletters to SparkLoop for a chance to win a FREE trip to Cancun!

LINK:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Didn't know this. ConvertKit has a "Newsletter" option that allows up to 10k subs for free.
Screenshot_20240406-010552_Chrome.jpg

DoTheWork

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 12, 2019
Didn't know this. ConvertKit has a "Newsletter" option that allows up to 10k subs for free.
View attachment 55217
I saw that. It used to be 1,000. Pretty impressive. Haven't seen any other providers with such a great free plan.

Also great that they let you test out their automations and sequences in this plan instead of restricting it entirely. Seems like a great way for people to see the value in the automation and upgrade their plan.

Funny enough, I just downgraded by plan to free yesterday, but would've done that regardless of limit change.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not sure what this is. Saving it here:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
How cool. An agency dedicated to growing newsletters with paid ads:
betterletter.co

Hermit

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 28, 2024
Types of Newsletters

Here are some different types of newsletters:
  • Curated newsletters. By far the most common type of a newsletter these days. The editor provides a weekly (or more frequent) roundup of news from the industry/niche, interesting articles to read, etc. This type of content is easy to produce since your job is to find, read, and filter the best resources for your subscribers. You don't have to be an expert and you don't have to write much except for a paragraph or two explaining why you decided to share it. Example: Midlife Health, Wealth, and Personal Growth | Further (in this case the editor expands more on the links he shares)
  • Expert newsletters. Also a very common model. If you're an expert in something, you write for your newsletter as if you were to write for your blog or another platform. You can write your commentaries on the news, provide how-to articles, or report your own stories like journalists do. Example: Marketing Examples - The finest real world marketing examples
  • Hybrid curated/expert. You share links to third-party articles/news and give your take on them. With this type, you don't have to be as knowledgeable about it as if you were the "proper" expert. Just enough knowledge to understand the industry may be sufficient. Example: The Publish Press
  • Research newsletters. You share with your subscribers your own analysis of something. What's more important here than understanding everything about a certain topic is your ability to synthesize knowledge. This is a very popular choice for business newsletters. Example: Trends.vc — Discover new markets and ideas
  • Opportunities newsletters. Usually in finance/business, you share with your readers new opportunities, such as new opportunities to invest money, new business models to explore, etc. This is similar to expert newsletters, only more focused on a specific theme (like a new business idea each week) and not general how-to advice. Example: Contrarian Thinking
  • Student newsletters. You can become an expert in something by launching a newsletter in which you'll share how you're learning a given topic. Instead of pretending you know all the answers you're sharing your challenges, book notes, successes and mistakes, etc. Eventually you may transition from this type into a "proper" expert newsletter. Example:
  • Discomfort Club (this is my new newsletter; instead of pretending I'm an expert I'm providing book notes and my thoughts as I learn about this topic).
This is gold.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Hermit

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 28, 2024
Not yet that big of a concern for me to scale it fast as I still need to find my unique voice for this project but here are a few ideas:
  • Promoting my newsletter a bit more often in the David Goggins subreddit where I'm active.
  • Using Reddit Ads for bigger subreddits where I don't want to post but where an ad could work.
  • Buying more ads in relevant newsletters.
  • Sponsoring YouTube creators in my niche.
  • Sponsoring podcasts in my niche.
  • Play with SparkLoop — The #1 Referral Tool For Newsletters (referral marketing). At $99/month it doesn't make sense now but may be useful in the future.
  • Google search should account for some traffic soon as my articles are very long and should be eventually found when people search for the books I cover.
I also just answered all Reddit posts I could find in the top results of Google where people ask for books similar to David Goggins's Can't Hurt Me and linked to my heavily upvoted post in r/davidgoggins. That post in turn leads to my website. Since I linked to this Reddit post and not directly to my website I hope my comments won't get removed and will drive some consistent traffic.

I think that the biggest challenge for newsletters is to get to 1,000 people. After that, word of mouth should help grow faster.
Any thoughts on using Quora to drive traffic? I used to be a heavy reddit user years ago and it was a cesspit even then, so I'm not too keen on getting my boots dirty there if I can avoid it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Any thoughts on using Quora to drive traffic? I used to be a heavy reddit user years ago and it was a cesspit even then, so I'm not too keen on getting my boots dirty there if I can avoid it.

I used Quora heavily years ago, even had some posts reach over 1 million views... But inevitably, if you use it to drive traffic to your website, they'll remove your answers or ban your account. They don't like external links so it's too risky of a platform, at least for organic traffic. Quora Ads may be different.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Quora Ads may be different.

I think this format might be promising, the ads blend in really nicely and it gives you a chance to deliver value in the ad. Many times I find myself reading some of the ads, not knowing they are ads. The key is, if the ad delivers value as a response, it likely will generate a click.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.