The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much potential exists for a fastlane business in fitness?

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
Not by the average way of becoming a personal trainer, looking for a gym to hire me and begin a career in there, but rather developing a "content system," as DeMarco mentions (i.e. website, ebooks/books, program study courses, etc.). How could one market such a venture successfully? Thanks for the info.

Brandon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Study how p90x did it.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Study how p90x did it.

Ditto.

CNBC's How I Made My Millions once interviewed Tony Horton, who of course discussed his relationship with BeachBody.com (the production company who published P90X, P90X-2, Insanity, and countless others and have been doing it for decades) and his part of the journey.

Go to CNBC's site, find the How I Made My Millions mini-site and find this interview. Get all over BeachBody.com and study what they've been doing.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Not by the average way of becoming a personal trainer, looking for a gym to hire me and begin a career in there, but rather developing a "content system," as DeMarco mentions (i.e. website, ebooks/books, program study courses, etc.). How could one market such a venture successfully? Thanks for the info.

Brandon

Good advice from biophase. I have a friend who is doing it and you can check out his site. If you want.
Angry Trainer Fitness
He reviews products, supplements and posts workouts, etc.
It sounds somewhat like what you want to do although he started out as a personal trainer

My question for you is...Why would I buy your books and content? What would let me know that you are the expert and your products would help me if I paid for them? I think that is a part of what you need to develop too

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I also recall Kenric shared this link in the forum:
16 Week Body Transformation « BootcampKZX

Read the story, and pay attention to how the lady created that group. Now, that is not super fast lane. But she created a small group and has a success story to tell from one of her clients.

She is a step or two away from marketing this as their own program, but having the success stories to tell do add the credibility needed in this industry.

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks. I already have a central theme behind my teaching, and it's teaching people the right way of executing the movements in all the major lifts. I'm constantly seeing poor technique in many people on most of the major lifts, so my products would help them with that, as I myself have been performing the lifts in bad form until recently and found a certain method that helps tremendously. I'm already certified as a trainer; I just never pursued it further until now, as I'm also working on another idea. Thanks again for the feedback.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
So what would the 'tag line' be?

"Gain 20lbs of muscle by lifting less weight"?

"Burn 20lbs of fat in 4 weeks by doing these 5 exercises"?

Think about that as a differentiator.

In the P90X case is simple, 90 days to a new body.

The Zumba guys made it about getting fit by having fun.

Are you set on yours?

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Take a look at this guy's stuff (link at bottom). I watched him do it from the moment he created his site to releasing his ebook. I don't know how much money he made, but I think that he made a ton of money. He created so much hype before he launched his product that people were buying it by the second on pre-order.

Take a look at the amount of pages that his site has. It's full of information. He even has places for user generated content. I think he did a pretty good job and he is a good small scale example.

His book is actually good too.

How to Build Muscle Fast - Building Muscle Worldwide

I am not affiliated with this product.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Thanks. I already have a central theme behind my teaching, and it's teaching people the right way of executing the movements in all the major lifts. I'm constantly seeing poor technique in many people on most of the major lifts, so my products would help them with that, as I myself have been performing the lifts in bad form until recently and found a certain method that helps tremendously. I'm already certified as a trainer; I just never pursued it further until now, as I'm also working on another idea. Thanks again for the feedback.

I think it's really cool that you're doing this BMarone. My mother was a personal trainer years ago and turning that into a fastlane business was unfathomable at that time.

Good luck to you.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York

OK good, you have a place to start and I freely admit I work out a lot but have really bad for when it comes to lifting, so I don't do some good exercises like Deadlifts because of that

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What everyone else here said, plus consider what people are really buying or what are they -really- looking for when they go looking to purchase a "fitness" related product.

I'll give you an example, I have had some health issues lately related to stress and my immune/lymphatic system being wonky, so my doctor suggested I decrease stress (uh ya sure). I decided to try yoga, so off I went looking for yoga classes, yoga stuff, yoga articles and so on...but am I buying yoga?? No...I'm buying less stress and better health...the person who told me more about what their yoga product could do for me and do it quickly vs blathering on and on about their features or certifications or awards or guest appearances or whatever is the one getting my $$$$.

There are absolutely truckloads of money to be made in fitness and health niches, just focus on selling the "right" thing, it may not be what you think it is.

Sue

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
So what would the 'tag line' be?

"Gain 20lbs of muscle by lifting less weight"?

"Burn 20lbs of fat in 4 weeks by doing these 5 exercises"?

Think about that as a differentiator.

In the P90X case is simple, 90 days to a new body.

The Zumba guys made it about getting fit by having fun.

Are you set on yours?

I have a few:
"Increase your strength in eight weeks time using these techniques."

"Learn the methods and how to manipulate them to gain strength or size or even both in one program.

"Learn the top training principles that lead to massive gains in functional, athletic strength and performance."

"Shorten the learning curve and learn proper weightlifting technique in no time for quicker gains."

Among others. I should also mention that I am only doing this as sort of an experiment right now, just to see how potential customers respond (in sort of like an MVP format as per Eric Ries). Thanks again for the feedback.

Brandon

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ditto.

CNBC's How I Made My Millions once interviewed Tony Horton, who of course discussed his relationship with BeachBody.com (the production company who published P90X, P90X-2, Insanity, and countless others and have been doing it for decades) and his part of the journey.

Go to CNBC's site, find the How I Made My Millions mini-site and find this interview. Get all over BeachBody.com and study what they've been doing.

Yes P90X took about 20 years to come about.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think there is tremendous potential in the fitness industry.

1. A gym is basicly a type of rental system. People pay a fee to access the equipment. Maybe you can start a gym? Over crowding in gyms is a HUGE issue in some areas (the market hates over crowding).

2. You can invent a new fitness product. Maybe a new type of workout drink the market needs? Maybe a healthy protein drink without a lot of cholesterol (this is a market need i have seen)?

3. Maybe a new type of bottle so people can mix their drinks in? make powder mixing easier? make it better? improve it?

4. Maybe new type of workout gloves that are really comfortable or in other words better?

5. Maybe a website dedicated to educating people in losing weight or getting people in shape? kinda like a boot camp?

The sky is the limit man. I see TREMENDOUS potential in that area. Sit down and think to yourself. HOW CAN I MAKE FITNESS MORE PLEASURABLE OR LESS PAINFUL IN THE MARKET EITHER THROUGH A PRODUCT OR A SERVICE??? Think about that, market needs basicly revolve around pain and pleasure.

JDIII2007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 10, 2012
If you are looking for an idea in terms of the supplements side of the fitness business, you could maybe look at Tim Ferriss of 4 Hour Work Week fame. He sold a single supplement (BrainQuicken) and apparently did well with it. I haven't exactly thought about it in terms of the fastlane factors but at first glance, it would probably fit pretty well. Here, is a link to an article about him selling the business but am sure you can find other articles if you are interested: Why Tim Ferriss Sold BrainQUICKEN | Inc.com

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I have a health website that gets over 2million page views a month. I am always looking for good products to put in front of my stream of visitors and looking for people with the right backstory to be a "guru" on my site.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I have a health website that gets over 2million page views a month. I am always looking for good products to put in front of my stream of visitors and looking for people with the right backstory to be a "guru" on my site.

Thats awesome. That is a huge opportunity. Opportunity is everywhere!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think p90x and Zumba are the best examples! p90x is a full-fledged fitness system with real results. Bowflex is also extremely Fastlane. The guy who made the Total Gym. Healthstatus's website is also a great example. Hell, even Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do can be considered a Fastlane. There are so many opportunities in this.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011

PM Sent :)

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The fitness industry has plenty potential. Many people have done independant ebooks and courses on gaining muscle and 6packs. Look at Mike Chans 6pack shortcuts. He has youtube ads for any search terms related to fitness. And teaches the principle of afterburn to get ripped and shredded. It's even popped up as the google ad when i browsed this thread! I've always been around elite sports and even slowlane fitness industry positions are great opportunities. My friends are personal trainers and bodybuilders and have as many as 10 clients in a day, doing what they love (staying in the gym all day). So if fitness and sport is something that you love, there is definetely plenty of opportunity there.

I recently started training again in December. I've struggled and been unmotivated before that and this has really helped me find a spark and passion in life again. And have really considered sticking with this industry in one form or the other; either ecommerce sports stores, personal training, sports coaching (i played elite levels of junior tennis and basketball), or courses and guides.

Healthstatus,

I might have to get in contact with you in the future if I get a course or product off the ground :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.