• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How much money did you use to start your business?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by pipedream2017, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,582
    No because it doesn't cost that much to start a candle biz. Literally anyone can start one for like $100. The expenses are for things that mostly have nothing to do with candles and everything to do with setting my business apart.

2. TreyAllDay

TreyAllDay Whatever it takes Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,342
    Depends - I'm in software and it was approximately $1000 with the various incorporation costs, licenses, etc. You don't really need to invest anything at all in some cases.

Stone P, ZF Lee and sparechange like this.
  3. Duane

Duane Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,840
    I bought out a failing business in my industry for $62,000 and invested an additional $20,000 into it.

I wanted to start with something rather than nothing, but I also was sitting on some cash.

4. civilpro

civilpro New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $121
    Put it all in. At the end of the day, anyone who can shower and owns at least ONE clean outfit without holes can get a job in this economy. Just go down to the liberal part of your city and look around. THATs what you'd be competing with in the job market

5. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,499
    I've spent near $1000 funding my education that I will need now and later for a business. When I do start a product-based business I am planning on starting with at least $10,000.

6. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $171,371
    My first business I started for $100, the cost was for the domain, hosting and SSL license.
    My current business I started with $2000. That was the cost of the first production order.

Eisenstein, Kingmaker, ZF Lee and 4 others like this.
  7. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,012
    [​IMG]

ZF Lee and Vigilante like this.
  8. Vincent_Vega

Vincent_Vega Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $156
    4k€. Business flopped, so I sold it for 2k€.

9. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $931
    This is a great way of looking at things. The regret of not trying is greater than the regret of failing, and you only fail if you quit.

Eisenstein, Stone P and dior616 like this.
  10. AimForTheMoon

AimForTheMoon New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $59
    My businesses have been anywhere from $250 to $3m

11. artKarolina

artKarolina New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $41
    $1k Christmas bonus, $50 to register. Been investing $5-15k cash back into the business every year to get new equipment, experiments to grow it slowly. I would've liked to have more money upfront of course, because it would've been a quicker growth but it worked out anyway. Video production. More importantly, actually had a business plan.

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  12. JohnD Realestate

JohnD Realestate Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,098
    33k I think. Somewhere around there in 2006. RE biz.

Although in reality I was just buying a house to live in. It had 3 apts and this was the only way I could see to afford to live close to NYC and not pay a fortune.

But as the years went by it turned into a biz.

Edit...good question by the way.

It wasn’t my first biz. I sold dictionaries door to door for a company when I was 17. They ripped me off on my fist payday so I found a supplier and copycatted them. I ran out of steam. That was probably 200$ worth of books.

At 23 Had a clothing store started with 5k of opm. Ran out of steam again. 22 years later after working for others I realized that once in a while I need to sit down and refocus.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Stone P likes this.
  13. Get Right

Get Right Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $31,366
    My first real business I started literally with one pack of rubber bands. I lacked confidence in myself so I did it the slow way.

I went all-in on my current one. I have built up way more confidence in my ability to succeed primarily from the fine folks here on the forum.

Timmy1990, Stone P, TheCj and 4 others like this.
  14. Lenin G.

Lenin G. New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Hey man, so you're planning to get into a business just because you can be the cheapest option?

Have you studied the market a little bit and know if you can scale it properly or just want to see if this product idea has legs?

Now, as a way of training yourself and get your feet wet I'd say give it a go, but if you're planning to grow a serious business from it I think you should be more careful.

The same as some of the other guys that replied I've invested from nothing to several tens of thousands of dollars, but that figure is not that relevant, just make sure you don't break the bank when testing this idea.

Good luck, buddy.

15. Nigel B

Nigel B Life Long Learner Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $942
    Doesn't matter. Don't risk more than you can afford.

For some people that is $200 for other it is tens of thousands, or more.

Bite the bullet, try it and correct fast - you won't get it right first time - and you won't get it right by trying to second guess everything.

16. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $164,435
    €0 of my own actual money to get started. Plenty of unpaid time though.

Clients paid (and still pay) me to provide a service.

They’ve also paid to build my team, processes, and technologies.

17. ProblemOd

ProblemOd Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,724
    Bout 350.

Jk, more like $6000 which was all my savings at the time in 2016. But my waiter job covered rent so I wasn't too worried.

Now i'm starting to spend around $80,000 every 3-4 months or so for inventory :eek:

TheCj likes this.
  18. Ecom man

Ecom man Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $32,395
    Started it with literally $50-$100. I think my first order was for 5 items or something like that lol. Starting is often cheap... it is growing the business that can get real expensive.

19. ericaung

ericaung New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $68
    Bump it up! I am also curious ;-)

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.