The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much money did you use to start your business?

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
645%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Enough that I maxed out my credit cards.

Why does it matter how much someone else put into their business? Some people put in zero, some people put in millions or somewhere in between.

Are you asking because you're scared to put money into one of your own ideas?

Learn to ask better questions.

pipedream2017

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 12, 2017
london

Why does it matter how much someone else put into their business? Some people put in zero, some people put in millions or somewhere in between.

Are you asking because you're scared to put money into one of your own ideas?

Learn to ask better questions.

Yeah I have an idea I want to start and my heart says put in the money my head says what if.. what if it goes wrong all that money wasted. So yeah just looking to see how it worked out for you guys and how much you put in

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pipedream2017

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 12, 2017
london
Can't really know the answer until you go.

With a proper plan of course.

Yep! My business idea is a local business magazine, I can advertise 3 times as cheap as competition, im thinking of offering it for free for the first month to attract the businesses and hopefully keep hold of them. I was reading an article that investing money and giving something for free can have postive impacts on a business.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
$0 for my copywriting business. Somewhere between $7k-$8k so far for my pre-launch candle biz.

Yeah I have an idea I want to start and my heart says put in the money my head says what if.. what if it goes wrong all that money wasted. So yeah just looking to see how it worked out for you guys and how much you put in

What if you never do anything and die a broke dreamer full of regrets? I'd rather waste my money finding out for sure than waste my time wondering "what if?"

pipedream2017

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Sep 12, 2017
london
$0 for my copywriting business. Somewhere between $7k-$8k so far for my pre-launch candle biz.

What if you never do anything and die a broke dreamer full of regrets? I'd rather waste my money finding out for sure than waste my time wondering "what if?"

That’s exactly what I was just thinking. Rather risk it all, than play it safe. Just gotta get rid of the annoying what if I’m the back of my mind.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
So far, in my current venture, I've spent about $550 on samples, different types of cloth and materials, and purchasing my competitors products to see what I need to do better.

Give it a shot. Would you rather have 100% chance of making $400 per week at a J.O.B. ($10/hr @ 40hrs) or a ~10% chance of making enough money following CENTS that will forever change your life? (Not to mention you could have a job while pursuing business) Plus - if you happen to fail, with odds that get better as you continue to pursue business, with very little downside for at least trying.

Go for it man. Never give up. I'd rather die trying to fulfill my dreams than live as a wage slave for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Please tell us how u spent 8k On a candle buisness

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I put in as much money as I could, without putting my family in jeopardy.

When you start a business the amount of money you should invest is a dollar amount that is very uncomfortable, but not too much that you’ll be destitute on the streets if you lose it.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You should look into Felix Dennis, he’s the founder of maxim , made a few hundred mill as a broke dropout and wrote a book on it, awesome read

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

lending_tree_guy.gif

Anyone remember this commercial?

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I've always bootstrapped each business but start up costs have been around $200 on the low end to $30,000 on the high end with most in between.

Current one will only be around 3-4k.

Yep! My business idea is a local business magazine, I can advertise 3 times as cheap as competition, im thinking of offering it for free for the first month to attract the businesses and hopefully keep hold of them. I was reading an article that investing money and giving something for free can have postive impacts on a business.

Can you make the model work if you make it free all the time? If you can print enough of them and get them circulated to a large enough audience then you may be able to profit from the advertising revenue alone.

Then the job would not be about selling subscriptions but selling advertising space.

-

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Believe it or not, I spent nothing and quite literally made "money from nothing".

I don't know whether you'd class it as a business or just an idea to make money which (fast forward 2 years later) became one of my top sources of income.

I happened to come across software being sold on an online marketplace and just reviewing the sheer amount of sales for that one day, it got me hooked. (Because I'm a software developer, I think software can change the world, so I'm pretty addicted to creating, distributing and selling software). Nevertheless, I wanted in. So I created my advertisement, used my web design skills to make it look professional and fancy and clicked post. I made sure their was a large enough profit margin for me to make it worth my while. I'll admit now, I did initially start selling at a very premium price, however, they slowly sold and once they did, I simply used around 60% of the sale price for the item and the 40% I kept for myself. I rinsed and repeated this method until I found a more genuine supplier and about 5x cheaper. Used an automated bot that I built myself to deal with orders and I myself just kept refilling it with stock and that sums it up.

It really is that easy to replace your 9 to 5, you just have to figure out what that "one thing" is, that "one thing" that can take so long to find but it'll be worth it.

Trust the process.

njord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Nov 24, 2016
4.5k euros for importing products to amazon.

Im currently renting out my two spare rooms in my house to get more capital:cool:

Renting out rooms isent as bad as i thought, yes i have less privasy but if you take the time to look for nice people you can have some good company and some extra pocket money to invest;)

I could earn even more if i move to the small room and rent out my room...

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

I would definitely not recommend maxing out your credit cards, my first failed business I did that and its a painful reminder every month.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Just wondering, did you felt kinda surprised when you realized that a candle biz can cost $7-8K to start (and I assume the costs are still going up)?

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
598%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just wondering, did you felt kinda surprised when you realized that a candle biz can cost $7-8K to start (and I assume the costs are still going up)?

No because it doesn't cost that much to start a candle biz. Literally anyone can start one for like $100. The expenses are for things that mostly have nothing to do with candles and everything to do with setting my business apart.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Depends - I'm in software and it was approximately $1000 with the various incorporation costs, licenses, etc. You don't really need to invest anything at all in some cases.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I bought out a failing business in my industry for $62,000 and invested an additional $20,000 into it.

I wanted to start with something rather than nothing, but I also was sitting on some cash.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I've spent near $1000 funding my education that I will need now and later for a business. When I do start a product-based business I am planning on starting with at least $10,000.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.