The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I get from just my idea to a built company?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

jooelnilssonn

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2021
Im 17 years old. Just dropped out of highschool. Just landed my first job as a warehouseworker, starting next week. Im living with my girlfriends family, and need to get an apartment very soon. So I'm yet a no one with no skills or anything. All I've got is a pretty good intellect and huge determination. And 20 dollars....

In 4 months I've got myself a clothing company and I'm killing it.

But right now I don't know where to start. How do I get from just my idea to the company I want to build?

Do i start with drawing my ideas for the clothes? Im really lost right now on how to get this going. Or do I just google my way through it? Is there a step by step guide I should follow? Or network and get good connections? Im good with people but how do I find the right people to network with and how do I approach them?

The idea is a clothing "brand". I don't want to just make another clothing brand that no one thinks anything of like most teenagers clothing brands. I want to make a kind of Nike or Reebok of street clothes. And I have an idea on how to do that and how to stand out and make this the thing.

I have other ideas of companies that I want to build but this seems to be a solid starting point and a reasonably easy thing to execute compared to my other ideas.

And please don't advice me on not dropping out, this is what's right for me and its done.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Ask yourself two very simple questions - who will buy your clothes? - why would they buy your clothes over [insert whatever established brand]?

If you can answer these, create a site with digital mockups (hire someone on Fiverr to do them for you) and run traffic campaigns to it. If you get sales, it's time to create real clothes!

EDIT: You dropped out of high school? WHYYY? Many people here realize that the public education system is failing and is not vital for an aspiring entrepreneur, but I do believe that you should at least finish high school. Being ambitious is cool and great, but there's a fine line between that and being delusional.

Last edited:

jooelnilssonn

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2021
Ask yourself two very simple questions - who will buy your clothes? - why would they buy your clothes over [insert whatever established brand]?

If you can answer these, create a site with digital mockups (hire someone on Fiverr to do them for you) and run traffic campaigns to it. If you get sales, it's time to create real clothes!

EDIT: You dropped out of high school? WHYYY? Many people here realize that the public education system is failing and is not vital for an aspiring entrepreneur, but I do believe that you should at least finish high school. Being ambitious is cool and great, but there's a fine line between that and being delusional.
Thanks thats very helpful!

Well for the very most you should stay in highschool but not everyone is the same and have the same conditions in life.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Keep your job for 1-3 years. Get experience. Build work ethic. Move up into a leadership position. Get experience with that. Then leverage everything you've learned in warehousing and any money you've saved to start a real business. Stick with that business for 3 to 10 years while learning everything you can about branding, marketing, and sales until it becomes really successful. Finally, you now have plenty of time, energy, knowledge, and money to waste time, energy, and money on a clothing brand that nobody cares about.

this seems to be a solid starting point and a reasonably easy thing to execute compared to my other ideas.

That's exactly why it won't work. Read @Johnny boy 's threads. Start there.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Thanks thats very helpful!

Well for the very most you should stay in highschool but not everyone is the same and have the same conditions in life.
Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to demotivate you. I just know what's it like to be young and ambitious where every idea seems to have a massive potential until you realize that your ideas don't matter. What matters is what the people (your customers) want. Get super clear about who you want your customers to be, what they care about, what they are passionate about, their values and goals, and then align your brand with those. It's all about them is a vital concept!

Regarding the high school thing, I did drop out of University. I did that as a commitment to an entrepreneurial lifestyle, but I worry that not having finished high school may affect how you're perceived, so I suggest exploring online classes you can take to get that education without having to attend a physical school 5 days a week.

jooelnilssonn

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2021
Keep your job for 1-3 years. Get experience. Build work ethic. Move up into a leadership position. Get experience with that. Then leverage everything you've learned in warehousing and any money you've saved to start a real business. Stick with that business for 3 to 10 years while learning everything you can about branding, marketing, and sales until it becomes really successful. Finally, you now have plenty of time, energy, knowledge, and money to waste time, energy, and money on a clothing brand that nobody cares about.

That's exactly why it won't work. Read @Johnny boy 's threads. Start there.
alright, thanks!

D

DeletedUser84644

Im 17 years old. Just dropped out of highschool. Just landed my first job as a warehouseworker, starting next week. Im living with my girlfriends family, and need to get an apartment very soon. So I'm yet a no one with no skills or anything. All I've got is a pretty good intellect and huge determination. And 20 dollars....

But right now I don't know where to start. How do I get from just my idea to the company I want to build?

Do i start with drawing my ideas for the clothes? Im really lost right now on how to get this going. Or do I just google my way through it? Is there a step by step guide I should follow? Or network and get good connections? Im good with people but how do I find the right people to network with and how do I approach them?

The idea is a clothing "brand". I don't want to just make another clothing brand that no one thinks anything of like most teenagers clothing brands. I want to make a kind of Nike or Reebok of street clothes. And I have an idea on how to do that and how to stand out and make this the thing.

I have other ideas of companies that I want to build but this seems to be a solid starting point and a reasonably easy thing to execute compared to my other ideas.

And please don't advice me on not dropping out, this is what's right for me and its done.
You do realize that you're a minor right? Who ever has legal custody of you can just simply call the police and have them force you to get back into their house- which is not a very good look on your girlfriend's parents' part if you are staying in their house without the consent of your parent / legal guardian (They can get in serious legal trouble for that). And being a minor doesn't help much with trying to setup and execute on a business (You cannot legally sign contracts, sue or be sued, etc, in your name). You're stretching the limits of what you can do as a minor way too far-wait until you at least turn 18 man (or whatever the legal age of adulthood is in your jurisdiction) before you set out to do those kinds stuff. What you are thinking to do, under the ground given circumstances you've just mentioned to us, is exactly the opposite of what MJ would say to do (See the follow video):
View: https://youtu.be/r_58zPgArb4

I.e you need to have a slowlane first before you can have a fastlane- otherwise, you are skipping process by taking short cuts, and taking such short cuts like that in attempt to leap frog you way up to the top will end up prolonging the journey much longer than if you had simply taken the long way in the begining in the first place. Taking risks without proper calculation, risk management, and with a crystal clear sense of clarity of what you're doing, why you're doing it, and your methodology behind how you will actually achieve it, is always foolish- Because what that is essentially doing is shooting darts in the dark and hoping that something will stick and work out, which is a very inefficient way of doing things. If your fastlane pursuit fails, you will not have a fall back option to depend on thanks to not having a slowlane to drive on- and as a result you will end up having to live off someone else again, which is not something sustainable in the long term- because at some point, you will have to support yourself whether you like or not, or risk ending up out on the streets.

So Imo you should have just finished what you started instead of just calling it quits at the last 2 miles of your marathon (Especially when you cannot legally do much of anything differently in your life being under 18 anyway) and work on obtaining some kind of trade or post secondary education that can land you a decent slowlane job (Which is really hard to get without a high school diploma or GED).

Please see my thread if you need further mental clarity on how to get started: MINDSET - Are you dying in misery on how to figure out how to get started? Then please! Do save yourself from that soul crushing agony with this thread!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
As a 17 year old who just left school you are entering into this brand new part of your life where the question of "how should I make money" will be the primary focus.

Remember this.

There are people who get paid by an employer. They work full time and get paid "employee money" = basically nothing. If they get paid anything better than that, it is in direct proportion to other factors that make it not very worth it to pursue. You want to make 200k being a surgeon? Great....15 years of school for you... You're 40 now. It's rarely worth it.

There are people who do work for a customer, who do the work directly. They are self employed and get more freedom and can start to enjoy the benefits of being in charge of their income. They can get more customers and if they operate intelligently they can make pretty good money and work moderate hours. Maybe you build websites and charge $1,000 for a website that takes 2 days to build. Now you're making 10 grand a month working part time remotely so you can travel the world. Huge step up from employee status.

Then there are people who hire others to do the work. Life becomes a lot of fun at this point. Your income becomes a simple math equation that is freely and relatively easily changed. Want a million a year? Each employee you have brings in $500 a day of profit? $2800 a day needed = 6 employees needed. You don't need to work 6 times the hours, or put in 6 times the effort. Just hire some people and be able to get the customers. It's easier said than done, but it's infinitely easier than making that same million doing anything else. Good luck doing it as a freelancer. Good luck doing it as an employee. The only way to do that is to be a professional athlete. But with business, it's much much easier.

Remember those different ways of getting paid. We are all here because we want a good life, and that is rarely possible when you are in the first group. That's how nearly everyone gets paid though...

For you, just remember to think this way and let it guide your choices. Always be on the "producer" side, not the consumer side. Sell products and services, not your time. Remember that. Avoid selling your time.

Then, focus on becoming the greatest version of yourself as humanly possible. In all areas, such as fitness, style, wealth, social life, mindset, adventure. Always be analyzing yourself and seeing which ways you can improve yourself. Without this you won't have a chance. Every man I know who is doing well in life has a good head on his shoulders and is an "improved" version of himself. He understands the importance of developing his fitness, having masculine hobbies, develops his social abilities (including with the opposite sex), and having an interesting life. Young men in 2022 are facing a steep uphill battle against being psychologically castrated and destroyed unless they are given some sort of quality role models and direction in life. Just remember that with few exceptions, almost everything you hear from anything "mainstream" is specifically designed to be terrible information meant to turn you into something you definitely should not be.

The people you spend your time around will influence your life more than anything, so be very...very...very aware and picky of the quality of people you are around. Very picky. Winners only.

SaasPassion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 21, 2022
I suggest you set yourself a goal for the next 10 years of establishing a successful company, and take calculated steps to get there.
Do not try to start and build a huge company on the start.
Start selling a shirt on ebay and draw conclusions from it, from there you will move on to setting up a store on ebay, then to your own website, then to your own small business, then to your own company.

Plan your moves slowly and thoughtfully and always be open to change direction when needed.
Make assumptions and measure those assumptions by using empirical tools which will get you an idea of whether your assumptions are true or false.
Always try to keep your learning in small numbers. Do not build a huge company with full of assumptions that can later turn out to be wrong.

While you are doing all this, the most important thing that should interest you is a cash flow that will allow you to continue to develop your future, and that will allow you to live with dignity. So think about finding a comfortable job that will allow you to build your future at the same time.

Gregory Carson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2020
United States, California
I can advise anyone starting a new brand to always search for others using the name, slogan, etc. in the USPTO’s Trademark Electronic Search System, or TESS. You can access TESS here.

Registering a trademark is something you can do yourself. We have an article explaining the steps with instructions on how to get a trademark registered.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I agree. He needs to at least finish high school. Your brain continues to develop until your mid-20s. He has a ways to go before maturity.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

The world is a big, scary place out there. It's very non-forgiving. No, you are NOT "killing it" since you have NOT started. Let's break this down.

Are you good at sewing? (I mean REALLY good?) Can you draw figures to show off your designs? Is your idea for women or for men? Does your target customer like your designs? Have you gone out gotten some opinions? Have you made samples? Have you done a cost analysis? Are the materials you want to use both available and affordable? Have you gone out and checked your target market price range? Who else is currently in your lane? Can you make a profit with what you want to do? And so on...

Then, after you figure out IF you have a good idea, then you start doing your business slow and steady, You can go to street fairs. The first thing is to find out what sells. You can rent a booth, or set it up at the beach, or at a show. Again, see what sells. You need to know the styles, the colors, the fabric, the popular sizes, and the price ranges. You'll need a website, so you can reach your customers online. At the end of the day, you may need to go home and sit at your sewing machine to make some more garments that you sold during the day. And you build a business from there.

Or you can go to work for a design house and work for many years before you gain enough clout to have a voice.

How do I know all of this? I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising when I was young and wanted to be a designer. When I found out that my chances of getting a job in the design business were right there with getting hit by lightning on a clear day, I changed majors and got my degree in merchandising. I ended up in the real estate business because I had to make a living and women's wages were terrible at that time.

I got it. You dropped out. You ain't goin' back. Now work at your new job while you get your GED.

D

Deleted72149

Rejoice
Congratulations on making a major decision for your life.
Step 1. Be humble. Consider yourself bottom of the totem pole and be content with working your way up. People are going to talk. You WILL struggle. It will not get easier for you. Not anytime soon anyways. And just be humble and stand totally behind your decision. The worst thing for you at this time is to live in a manner where you are looking back at your past saying I wish I did xyz... So look forward push onward. Be humble.

2. When it comes to street wear. And urban gear it is all about "getting there". What I mean is if there is a social function. A local rap group is making a music video. There is sometype of gathering or function you need to be there. Be seen. Be heard. Surround yourself with movers and successful people.

3. Check out Nipsey Hussle music. He has a great quotes. And it is this absolutely gritty hustler mentality. This part is key. Not necessarily Nipsey Hussle but just the awareness of the content you take into your ears.

4. Believe in yourself before anyone else does. You want to be successful. I know you do that is why you are here. So in your insides know you are "the one" you have something unique and you are able to contribute right now.

5. Buckle up for the long haul. Let go of get rich quick schemes. Buy in to the idea that if you out your head down and grind. And plant seeds and work your plan. You gone make it it is only a matter of time.

6. This is from personal experience, do not lay up with your girl all day. Her people and even herself will be nice to you. Clearly they know your Situation. But there is nothing more damaging to a man's confidence than laying up all day with your girl. You begin to lose ambition. And the spark that you and her had goes away. So keep yourself occupied with your business and find a way to work out.

7. Keep educating yourself! With books. Think and grow rich is a great one. A classic.
Educate yourself with YouTube. Anything you want to learn. It does not matter what. Just keep learning
Keep growing. Keep expanding.

8. Choose your friends wisely. Surround yourself with positive images of success. If you look around and none of your friends have what you aspire to get you have to understand they cannot help you get there. Be around guys that challenge you and make you say wow. I did not even think that was possible

9. Lastly and this is very important. Treat your woman right. As a younger version of myself I flunked out of school, a community college. My girls people took me in. But I was a total jackass! But I found my lady would do anything for me. Emotionally financially sexually... If she had it she was giving it to me. So one thing I learned from that experience even though the relationship went to shit. Is this. TREAT YOUR WOMAN RIGHT. SHE WILL TREAT YOU BETTER. That is your partner and do not make the mistake of stepping out on her, cheating, or looking for a new woman. If that's your girl that is your girl and be content with that.

Above all else man just remember the most high. Be grateful for your blessings. Focus on the good and not the bad.

You are a champion.
You will do great.

-moses

jooelnilssonn

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 5, 2021
Rejoice
Congratulations on making a major decision for your life.
Step 1. Be humble. Consider yourself bottom of the totem pole and be content with working your way up. People are going to talk. You WILL struggle. It will not get easier for you. Not anytime soon anyways. And just be humble and stand totally behind your decision. The worst thing for you at this time is to live in a manner where you are looking back at your past saying I wish I did xyz... So look forward push onward. Be humble.

2. When it comes to street wear. And urban gear it is all about "getting there". What I mean is if there is a social function. A local rap group is making a music video. There is sometype of gathering or function you need to be there. Be seen. Be heard. Surround yourself with movers and successful people.

3. Check out Nipsey Hussle music. He has a great quotes. And it is this absolutely gritty hustler mentality. This part is key. Not necessarily Nipsey Hussle but just the awareness of the content you take into your ears.

4. Believe in yourself before anyone else does. You want to be successful. I know you do that is why you are here. So in your insides know you are "the one" you have something unique and you are able to contribute right now.

5. Buckle up for the long haul. Let go of get rich quick schemes. Buy in to the idea that if you out your head down and grind. And plant seeds and work your plan. You gone make it it is only a matter of time.

6. This is from personal experience, do not lay up with your girl all day. Her people and even herself will be nice to you. Clearly they know your Situation. But there is nothing more damaging to a man's confidence than laying up all day with your girl. You begin to lose ambition. And the spark that you and her had goes away. So keep yourself occupied with your business and find a way to work out.

7. Keep educating yourself! With books. Think and grow rich is a great one. A classic.
Educate yourself with YouTube. Anything you want to learn. It does not matter what. Just keep learning
Keep growing. Keep expanding.

8. Choose your friends wisely. Surround yourself with positive images of success. If you look around and none of your friends have what you aspire to get you have to understand they cannot help you get there. Be around guys that challenge you and make you say wow. I did not even think that was possible

9. Lastly and this is very important. Treat your woman right. As a younger version of myself I flunked out of school, a community college. My girls people took me in. But I was a total jackass! But I found my lady would do anything for me. Emotionally financially sexually... If she had it she was giving it to me. So one thing I learned from that experience even though the relationship went to shit. Is this. TREAT YOUR WOMAN RIGHT. SHE WILL TREAT YOU BETTER. That is your partner and do not make the mistake of stepping out on her, cheating, or looking for a new woman. If that's your girl that is your girl and be content with that.

Above all else man just remember the most high. Be grateful for your blessings. Focus on the good and not the bad.

You are a champion.
You will do great.

-moses
wow thanks, really, thanks!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We’ve put the opening post back. A lot of people read and replied to it so it’s only fair it isn’t removed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.