The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I chase needs with zero money?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Entrepreneurs that started with $0 capital:
  • Mark Cuban
  • Elon Musk
  • Warren Buffet
  • Bill Gates
  • Richard Branson
  • Mark Zuckerberg
  • Daymond John
  • MJ DeMarco
  • Robert Herjavec
  • Steve Jobs
  • Michael Dell
Still think you need startup capital to make money?

Some of these entrepreneurs were more broke than we are by today's standards.

I will give you this, a lot of these guys were fervent readers. They read day in and day out about their industry, which is why they got so far ahead.

Last edited:

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
A few years ago I wanted to start a plumbing lead selling business to local plumbers in my area. I had a very slow stream of calls from customers looking for plumbers that I would arrange a quote time with my phone book of plumbers that I had in on the idea. I realized pretty quickly I knew jack shit about plumbing, so needed to learn the trade first.

I went from no money to earning pretty well by doing a 2 year plumbing apprenticeship. Applied myself, learnt the trade, got entry level qualifications by paying monthly for the education/quals and went out on my own. Your 'worry about chasing needs' issue is probably the mentality that's making you think it's difficult to raise enough money to become profitable in business. I'm not saying become a plumber. I'm saying your limiting beliefs about earning enough money to experiment with income earning opportunities are the reason why you're not already balls deep in some money making idea.

At first I only took on work that I knew I could handle. By putting myself in pretty uncomfortable positions I developed my customer service skills and became a personable plumbing salesman, selling my service to homeowners all over my city for an above average wage. You seem to have a lot of limiting beliefs about money and opportunity. How difficult is it to set up a website? By the sounds of your post it seems you've not tried much in terms of solving your 'money' problem except the entry level criteria e.g. buy a domain, think about an idea.

I actually went in to plumbing because of a business idea. Even if it falls through, will I just forget all the skills I've developed? Now, regardless of whether I stick at my idea - i've got easily enough income and flexible enough schedule to put hours into an idea.

This might sound harsh but If you're really bothered about earning money then you can start by becoming useful and get yourself some money making skills? Spend your time becoming usefully skilled rather than thinking of earning money. After all, when all the money has gone, how do you earn more?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm a little worried about chasing needs with having no money to my name.

I don't know where to go to chase needs...all I do is work out

MJ had 1k when he started in Phoenix.

So is it possible to find a need to fill with zero money?

I am beginning to think its possible to answer a lot of threads by just cutting out some text.

Before MJ had 1k he had a job. While he had a job he found a need. Start with the job.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Maybe you should stop lifting weights and use that time to do business stuff, success requires sacrifice and that might include your "gainz".

Seriously though, investing time in working out is mostly a time suck. The bigger and stronger you get the more maintenance it needs... ie. More food, more supplements, heavier weights, more rest time... AND it all slowly goes away when you stop working out.

Conversely, if you spend all this time learning, building and systematizing a business. If done correctly, it should make you money passively, this is a way better investment of your time. There are many resources out there about starting with no funds, you're just not digging deep enough. (https://foreverjobless.com/you-do-not-need-money-to-start-a-business/)

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
There are some great suggestions in this thread.

I say get a job or offer something in return for money. You can do fitness videos, 1-2-1 personal training, nutrition/diet help etc.

The possibilities are endless.

Esoteric Wealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 21, 2015
After a good couple weeks of dedicated searching, I found a good job at an e-commerce facility. They run several e-commerce sites for safer sex products (condoms, lubricants, etc.). It's not minimum wage, and it's full time! Good find...

I'll be working here while using the money from the job to fund my own businesses. I'm gonna work here until I no longer have to. Maybe I'll learn a few things about the logistics side of e-commerce too.

I want to work my a$$ off turning the money from this job into more money, so on my free time I'll be doing photography gigs, start importing some product (already have a few ideas in mind, just have to test them out), and occasionally some good ol' Craigslist hustling.

There's nowhere to go but up when you've been making $0 a month!!!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I don't know where to go to chase needs...all I do is work out, but in all of my working out and lifting weights, I don't see a need fulfilled.

You aren't looking hard enough then. A friend of mine has come out with several custom products related to working out and lifting weights in the last few years. They all solve needs, and some big name weight lifters are starting to use the products.

Every niche has something that can be improved.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
manage social media for local businesses. Charge $100-$150 / month for daily facebook and twitter posts. Upsell the other platforms for an extra $50 or something.

Go to local networking events to find them. Check meetup.com

this is a very easy hustle. Requires very little skill and social media is so hot that people are willing to pay for it.

You can start today.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Oh I did the math wrong.

You can make WAY more than $2800/month at full capacity.

So this is what you do:

4 Week fitness bootcamp split into 6 total sessions. Mon/Thurs day, Mon/Thur night, Tues/Fri day, Tues/Fri night, Wed/Sat day, Wed/Sat night.

Set a limit of 20 people per session. (You'd be profitable with far fewer, actually) Aim at women trying to get a beach body or whatever.

Write a catch-all diet plan and make adjustments based on height, weight, etc. Sell as a way to lose 15 lbs in 4 weeks (but don't promise this, say it COULD happen), do the macro math to make that possible.

Charge $70 per person for all 8 sessions. That's less than $9 per session, which is a F*cking steal. And that includes diet plan + accountability.

Do it in a public place and do all cardio/bodyweight stuff. At full capacity ($1400 per session), that's you making $8400 a month. That's a six figure income, bro.

At 50% capacity, that's $4200 a month. Not shabby at all.

At 20% capacity, that's about $1680/month. Still more than what you're making now.

10% capacity, that's about $840/month. Still, extra money!

You'd be a fool not to at least try. You can charge more or less to grow capacity, as well.

What the F*ck is stopping you?

This ...

Plus this - http://ptpower.com/34-ways-to-get-more-personal-training-clients/

Get to work OP

ExcelGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 11, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
manage social media for local businesses. Charge $100-$150 / month for daily facebook and twitter posts. Upsell the other platforms for an extra $50 or something.

this is a very easy hustle. Requires very little skill and social media is so hot that people are willing to pay for it.

You can start today.
@lowtek you make this sound so easy even I could do it. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Maybe you should stop lifting weights and use that time to do business stuff, success requires sacrifice and that might include your "gainz".

Seriously though, investing time in working out is mostly a time suck. The bigger and stronger you get the more maintenance it needs... ie. More food, more supplements, heavier weights, more rest time... AND it all slowly goes away when you stop working out.

Conversely, if you spend all this time learning, building and systematizing a business. If done correctly, it should make you money passively, this is a way better investment of your time. There are many resources out there about starting with no funds, you're just not digging deep enough. (https://foreverjobless.com/you-do-not-need-money-to-start-a-business/)

Is it a time suck, or are you thinking about the short game?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think your thoughts need improvement. D-
@IrishSpring600

I see from some other thread that you got that job as a teacher. Well done. I hope that works out and you keep chipping away at business ideas on the side if that's what you want.

Does that mean you want to quit the forum but want the mods to do it for you? From your recent string of posts it really seems like some version of "suicide by cop".

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

You can start today.
This seems so simple it could work well! Anyone tried it yet?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't know if I've ever replied to this thread before.

To answer the question of "How do I chase needs with zero money?"

Err... Don't "chase" for starters. It's kinda desperate and the cat don't like it.

It sounds like you think you "need" money to help people. That's backwards. You help people and then you get money.

So if you need money, go get some customers to pay you for helping/entertaining them.

Thread that might help:

Last edited by a moderator:

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
@IrishSpring600

I see from some other thread that you got that job as a teacher. Well done. I hope that works out and you keep chipping away at business ideas on the side if that's what you want.

Does that mean you want to quit the forum but want the mods to do it for you? From your recent string of posts it really seems like some version of "suicide by cop".

You're the one that perceives the threat when there isn't any. Lmao!

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
You're the one that perceives the threat when there isn't any. Lmao!

Have you done anything since you started this thread?

Or do you still only have a website and don't know what to do with it?

If so go do something others have generously suggested to you, and stop littering this forum you F*cking bum.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A few years ago I wanted to start a plumbing lead selling business to local plumbers in my area. I had a very slow stream of calls from customers looking for plumbers that I would arrange a quote time with my phone book of plumbers that I had in on the idea. I realized pretty quickly I knew jack shit about plumbing, so needed to learn the trade first.

I went from no money to earning pretty well by doing a 2 year plumbing apprenticeship. Applied myself, learnt the trade, got entry level qualifications by paying monthly for the education/quals and went out on my own. Your 'worry about chasing needs' issue is probably the mentality that's making you think it's difficult to raise enough money to become profitable in business. I'm not saying become a plumber. I'm saying your limiting beliefs about earning enough money to experiment with income earning opportunities are the reason why you're not already balls deep in some money making idea.

At first I only took on work that I knew I could handle. By putting myself in pretty uncomfortable positions I developed my customer service skills and became a personable plumbing salesman, selling my service to homeowners all over my city for an above average wage. You seem to have a lot of limiting beliefs about money and opportunity. How difficult is it to set up a website? By the sounds of your post it seems you've not tried much in terms of solving your 'money' problem except the entry level criteria e.g. buy a domain, think about an idea.

I actually went in to plumbing because of a business idea. Even if it falls through, will I just forget all the skills I've developed? Now, regardless of whether I stick at my idea - i've got easily enough income and flexible enough schedule to put hours into an idea.

This might sound harsh but If you're really bothered about earning money then you can start by becoming useful and get yourself some money making skills? Spend your time becoming usefully skilled rather than thinking of earning money. After all, when all the money has gone, how do you earn more?
^^^ This!

Spend your time getting a skill people will pay you for.

Money problems solved.

Thanks for sharing your story @Random_0

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!