The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I chase needs with zero money?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I'm a little worried about chasing needs with having no money to my name. All I have is a website with web hosting, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I don't know where to go to chase needs...all I do is work out, but in all of my working out and lifting weights, I don't see a need fulfilled. So that can't be it. I don't really do much else with my day. I'm thinking about taking a 9-5 at Vitamin Shoppe...

Not sure where to go from here? I'll do it, but I don't know where to find a need with zero money. I would have drop shipped otherwise. All of the stories I read involve Slowlaners going Fastlane. That means they had some money already. MJ had 1k when he started in Phoenix. Dropshippers have money to buy product before they make good money. So is it possible to find a need to fill with zero money?

So...lots of questions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013

Right, in the services interview it's mentioned that I need a skillset, I need to sell that skillset, and then I need to scale that.

I don't know if my skillset is outdated...how can I find out where to find some in-demand skills? Because that's where the sales/customers are at.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Right, in the services interview it's mentioned that I need a skillset, I need to sell that skillset, and then I need to scale that.

I don't know if my skillset is outdated...how can I find out where to find some in-demand skills? Because that's where the sales/customers are at.
I think you're over-complicating it.

You don't need to be an expert to help someone.

Think about other people and what they need, not what skills you have necessarily.

Open your eyes and ears to what people are struggling with, and just lend a hand.

To even hold open a door for someone means you observed them heading to the door, noticed they would have to open it themselves, then you took action.

To even say Thank You to a waiter means observing them arriving with your order.

Check out this thread, and the videos in it:

Read @IceCreamKid 's:

Even your thread subject line "How do I chase needs with zero money?" shows you're trying too hard. It shows you don't see the needs right under your nose.

Don't chase.

There are needs all around you.

Opportunity knocks so often it's like a drumroll. You just have to hear it.

Start by just helping people - hold doors open, say thanks, help someone carry their shopping...

Who will you help today?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So if a buddy or family member called and said they were in jail and needed $1000 to get out, what would you do?

Now you have $1000. Get started and quit making excuses.

• Banned

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Start by just helping people - hold doors open, say thanks, help someone carry their shopping...

Who will you help today?

I do this every day. And it's incredibly hard to keep it up IN MIAMI WHERE HALF OF THE PEOPLE AREN'T GRATEFUL FOR IT. It clearly drives me mad. For the other half that do say thanks, I'm glad. I say hi to everyone. I hold doors. I make people laugh. But these aren't needs and I'm still broke.

I've given shirts to the homeless. I've given tips to soccer kids that need improvement on technique. I've given advice to lifters. I've done X for Y countless times. WITH NO INTENTION OF GAINING MONEY. JUST PROVIDING VALUE. Still broke.

So if a buddy or family member called and said they were in jail and needed $1000 to get out, what would you do?

Now you have $1000. Get started and quit making excuses.

Not sure how you made that jump.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You have listed 'no money' as your excuse for not starting / making progress.

I am asking you, so if your life depending on it you have no way to find some money??

In business, you have to want it more than you want to breathe. That mentality will help you find the money to overcome your excuse and ultimately to find your 'need' to chase.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I do this every day. And it's incredibly hard to keep it up IN MIAMI WHERE HALF OF THE PEOPLE AREN'T GRATEFUL FOR IT. It clearly drives me mad. For the other half that do say thanks, I'm glad. I say hi to everyone. I hold doors. I make people laugh. But these aren't needs and I'm still broke.

I've given shirts to the homeless. I've given tips to soccer kids that need improvement on technique. I've given advice to lifters. I've done X for Y countless times. WITH NO INTENTION OF GAINING MONEY. JUST PROVIDING VALUE. Still broke.

Serious note: Personal Trainer? Private Soccer lessons for rich kids? Comedian?

Not so serious: Door man?

If you take it seriously, other people will too!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How can you provide the same value while getting paid to do so?

(note, do not let yourself focus on 'why can't I' instead focus on 'how can I?')

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Not sure where to go from here? I'll do it, but I don't know where to find a need with zero money.

Trade your time for startup cash - then make your money work for you.

Let me explain...

Miami is full of investors, tourist attractions, small businesses. You have an internet connection and a computer, so you have resources. Leverage those and ask how you can help them. Literally, call up a small business and ask how you can bring them more business.

Or what about Uber? Personal training? Setup social media profiles for SMBs?

I went down to the beach in July for 3 days, and took an Uber a couple of times. One of the drivers opened up about his routine:
  • Weekends he drives non stop 10-12 hours a day
  • That particular weekend, he showed me his account sitting at $615
  • He still had 4 hours to go
You already have the startup capital in the form of resources and time. Turn that into startup cash.

MrEGreg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 5, 2016
I'm a little worried about chasing needs with having no money to my name. All I have is a website with web hosting, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

I don't know where to go to chase needs...all I do is work out, but in all of my working out and lifting weights, I don't see a need fulfilled. So that can't be it. I don't really do much else with my day. I'm thinking about taking a 9-5 at Vitamin Shoppe...

Not sure where to go from here? I'll do it, but I don't know where to find a need with zero money. I would have drop shipped otherwise. All of the stories I read involve Slowlaners going Fastlane. That means they had some money already. MJ had 1k when he started in Phoenix. Dropshippers have money to buy product before they make good money. So is it possible to find a need to fill with zero money?

So...lots of questions.

If you are hitting the gym that much then you are probably pretty ripped. And you know that 80% of fitness is nutrition. If that is something you have a lot of experience with try developing a fitness product such as a how to get ripped course and sell it on clickbank. If you go to CB you can find other fitness products. Look at the "gravity score" as a test to see what is converting and doing well. Create something simple, meal planning, how to get in shape, etc. Maybe its a how to lose 10 lbs in 30 days course that you sell for $37, and have an upsell for $47. See how the other funnels are working.

Then start contacting other JV partners/affiliates in that niche and sell them on why they need to promote your product. That's a good start. Then, once you have build up the business you can sell the site, take that cash and start something else.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I sold my first T-shirt yesterday (new venture) using only twitter and a free platform where you can sell t-shirts with no upfront costs.

I literally took 2 free tools and made $10 out of them (actually $5 because I'm donating half, you don't have to). Now all I need to do is do it more.

Speaking of fitness, check this guy out and what he's doing:
http://www.vahvafitness.com/blog/
https://www.movement20xx.com/

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC

The thing about helping people is you should not expect anything whatsoever in return. Who cares if they're grateful? The point about helping people is making things easier for other people whether or not they know it. The fact that you can go out and find things that people need help with SHOULD BE enough for you to find something to hustle.

Seriously it just sounds that you're making excuses here. Just start reading books, podcasts etc. and you'll find a way. Making a YouTube channel and getting views is EASY as long as you create decent/funny content. If you're lifting so much then just have a strict 5 or 7 day a week video upload and you'll get views quick.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have feline deja vu.

Meow

OP, quit whining. Get a job. Do a service in the meantime.

You said you went to college? Provide tutoring services to high school kids.

You lift weights? Put up a Craigslist ad, using your forum profile picture, and advertise a fitness bootcamp.

Got a lawnmower? Mow lawns. Know how to fix a computer? Fix computers.

Want free or cheap eyeballs? Use Craigslist, print flyers, or carry a sign like a homeless person.

Work at the Vitamin Shoppe. Use your time at the Vitamin Shoppe to word-of-mouth advertise your fitness bootcamp (borderline unethical, but do it anyway, might wanna get the manager's OK before you do though). 4 week program, 2 days a week, before and after work. Get 20 people to sign up for each session. Do the bootcamp at a park, outdoors. Make those ladies run, jump, and skip. Charge $70 for the entire bootcamp (it's a steal!).

Extra $2800 a month, bro.

Seriously, try it out. Sounds like an extra $2800/month plus minimum wage job income will change your life.

And put a F*ckin smile on your face, you miserable bastard.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I hold doors. I make people laugh. But these aren't needs and I'm still broke.

How many did you ask to pay money for your service?

Nobody hands you cash when they get your offer free. You'll stay broke until you charge.

If you have no intention of gaining money why would you expect to earn?

Personal training, soccer instruction, comedic laughs...

People pay for all of those every single day.

None require cash. They require you to not be chickenshit and pitch someone your service.

Pick a service. Sell your service. Repeat.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Oh I did the math wrong.

You can make WAY more than $2800/month at full capacity.

So this is what you do:

4 Week fitness bootcamp split into 6 total sessions. Mon/Thurs day, Mon/Thur night, Tues/Fri day, Tues/Fri night, Wed/Sat day, Wed/Sat night.

Set a limit of 20 people per session. (You'd be profitable with far fewer, actually) Aim at women trying to get a beach body or whatever.

Write a catch-all diet plan and make adjustments based on height, weight, etc. Sell as a way to lose 15 lbs in 4 weeks (but don't promise this, say it COULD happen), do the macro math to make that possible.

Charge $70 per person for all 8 sessions. That's less than $9 per session, which is a F*cking steal. And that includes diet plan + accountability.

Do it in a public place and do all cardio/bodyweight stuff. At full capacity ($1400 per session), that's you making $8400 a month. That's a six figure income, bro.

At 50% capacity, that's $4200 a month. Not shabby at all.

At 20% capacity, that's about $1680/month. Still more than what you're making now.

10% capacity, that's about $840/month. Still, extra money!

You'd be a fool not to at least try. You can charge more or less to grow capacity, as well.

What the F*ck is stopping you?

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I'm getting relatively good (I'm no expert) at reading into people's words.

What I'm seeing in your's is a limiting belief somewhere. Find it, kill it, and get on with doing something.

Esoteric Wealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 21, 2015
Meow

OP, quit whining. Get a job. Do a service in the meantime.

You said you went to college? Provide tutoring services to high school kids.

You lift weights? Put up a Craigslist ad, using your forum profile picture, and advertise a fitness bootcamp.

Got a lawnmower? Mow lawns. Know how to fix a computer? Fix computers.

Want free or cheap eyeballs? Use Craigslist, print flyers, or carry a sign like a homeless person.

Work at the Vitamin Shoppe. Use your time at the Vitamin Shoppe to word-of-mouth advertise your fitness bootcamp (borderline unethical, but do it anyway, might wanna get the manager's OK before you do though). 4 week program, 2 days a week, before and after work. Get 20 people to sign up for each session. Do the bootcamp at a park, outdoors. Make those ladies run, jump, and skip. Charge $70 for the entire bootcamp (it's a steal!).

Extra $2800 a month, bro.

Seriously, try it out. Sounds like an extra $2800/month plus minimum wage job income will change your life.

And put a F*ckin smile on your face, you miserable bastard.
God damn, the way you put it, so blunt and objective, just clears the bullshit in my mind. I'm almost in the same situation as OP, although my skillset falls in photography/film (it's my passion, and I was going to pursue a film career before I discovered the fastlane).

I can already see a path, I have some stuff to sell on eBay that I've been putting off. I'm going to advertise my photography service on Craigslist along with some samples of my photography. I can make a nice looking logo in about 5 minutes. I have no camera, so with the money that I get from eBay, I'll rent a camera from a rental camera website that I know of. Charge $100 for my service, do this 10 times, and I'll have enough money for a decent camera, so I won't have to shell out money on rentals.

While I am doing this, I can also start up a clothing line related to film/photography. The film community eats this shit up, they love expressing their passions. There's a guy on Instagram selling patches (like the ones you sew onto backpacks), they are 35mm film inspired patches. He seems to be selling a lot.

I'm listing my items on eBay and and creating an action plan right after I type this. Thank you for your bluntness and making me realize my BS excuses.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
What I'm seeing in your's is a limiting belief somewhere. Find it, kill it, and get on with doing something.

The dude is literally in his own way. He's smart, capable, and judging from his passion for fitness, has a work ethic hidden down somewhere.

He just needs to stop being a little bitch made, pussy a$$, F*ckboy, sadcunt, wankstain loser.

I'm listing my items on eBay and and creating an action plan right after I type this. Thank you for your bluntness and making me realize my BS excuses.

F*cking COMMIT to whatever the hell you're doing. You will get nowhere if you don't commit to actually putting some effort into it. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
F*cking COMMIT to whatever the hell you're doing. You will get nowhere if you don't commit to actually putting some effort into it. I've learned this lesson the hard way.

lol me too. Even when @The-J told me what to commit to. :smuggy:

Last edited:

Paul Thomas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 9, 2013

"I don't really do much else with my day".

How doesn't that sound like a problem in your situation?

I'm confused, you have 0 money to your name, no business idea, and a bunch of free time. Why don't you have a job, even if its minimum wage? Doesn't the easy answer sound like to get a job, and save while you think of a business idea/discover needs?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I think there are people replying in this thread that have put in more effort in finding a solution than the OP may be willing to do for himself.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think there are people replying in this thread that have put in more effort in finding a solution than the OP may be willing to do for himself.

Ain't that a bitch. You can lead a horse to water, I guess.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
We don't do it for him. We are doing it for the many that come behind.....

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%