The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you could afford to live anywhere, would you still be where you are?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 30 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I'm apart of the club!

9ux0nq.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
It's so mother effing annoying how you can't copy text from Kindle browser reader into One Note anymore. Anybody got a fix?

BTW, @JustAskBenWhy I need to know because I went ahead and started your book. My Sowell book will now sit on the shelf with a bookmark halfway through it for the next 6 months, dammit.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Just purchased it. To be honest, not something I'll plan on doing myself, but for $0.99 to help a forum member out, definitely!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Just ordered, glad to support this - and I think the concept is rock solid if applied in the right geographic location. (Just so happens I'm in that location, ha ha).
Thank you, MJ!

Attachments

• Best Seller in RE Investments.jpg
    Best Seller in RE Investments.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 7

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Best Seller in RE Investments.jpg

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Not a big digital book fan, so I just ordered the paperback.

I've actually been trying to work through a strategy like this numbers wise in various locations. So I'm hoping your book will speed up my mental clarity here.

Cheers.
Thank you!!!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
It's so mother effing annoying how you can't copy text from Kindle browser reader into One Note anymore. Anybody got a fix?

BTW, @JustAskBenWhy I need to know because I went ahead and started your book. My Sowell book will now sit on the shelf with a bookmark halfway through it for the next 6 months, dammit.
Hahah I feel honored! It's an easy read. Please enjoy, @G-Man !

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Just purchased it. To be honest, not something I'll plan on doing myself, but for $0.99 to help a forum member out, definitely!
@Scot - thank you for your support!!!

G

GuestUser450

Go to kindle.amazon.com then Your Highlights. Copy text or save as a page in ON.

*edit: they're moving kindle.amazon to read.amazon - works even easier there.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Guys, obviously - I would appreciate any of you willing to share a good review on Amazon :) Thank you!

Best Seller_7.95.jpg

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I set an alarm yesterday so I wouldn't forget to buy. I read almost exclusively via Kindle on my Android device so 99 cents was a great deal, but I would also have paid $16.99. I was on a road trip so I stopped at McDonald's and read the introduction--already I feel I'm in for a great book! I'll be switching back and forth between House Hacking and Burton Malkiel's Random Walk Down Wall Street.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
I set an alarm yesterday so I wouldn't forget to buy. I read almost exclusively via Kindle on my Android device so 99 cents was a great deal, but I would also have paid $16.99. I was on a road trip so I stopped at McDonald's and read the introduction--already I feel I'm in for a great book! I'll be switching back and forth between House Hacking and Burton Malkiel's Random Walk Down Wall Street.
Thank you so much, Mike! Please leave a review when appropriate :)

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Thank you so much, Mike!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Hi Ben,

first, congratulations on your start of selling!
I'm interested. Do you have knowledge on the differences between USA and Europe?

Is your house hacking blueprint applicable to Europe (exactly: Germany)?

I will buy the book anyway. Just wanted to know if any differences exist which you may know?

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Hi Ben,

first, congratulations on your start of selling!
I'm interested. Do you have knowledge on the differences between USA and Europe?

Is your house hacking blueprint applicable to Europe (exactly: Germany)?

I will buy the book anyway. Just wanted to know if any differences exist which you may know?
Hi!

This is a good question. To answer - on one hand the AirBnB concept is actually much more developed in Europe, and since my method works best with AirBnB I'd say yes. Actually Europe lends itself even better to my approach.

On the other hand, laws and regs around mortgages are obviously different, I cannot comment much on this. Should be doable, though.

Interestingly, I think that just now America is beginning to catch up to Europe with this Bed and Breakfast concept. Rural Europe has been there forever. I've stayed many a time in B&Bs in the Netherlands, for instance. I think this has to do with the fact that it is more difficult to get a mortgage and people have had to be creative in Europe. Here, in America, the emergence is a function of the growing delta between income and property values.

At the end of the day, this is entrepreneurial people saying - property is too expensive, but we are willing to be entrepreneurs and bring product to market in order to facilitate the burn. Makes sense?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Got my copy a few days ago. Will read soon and provide a review. Thanks, Ben!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Missed the 0.99$ offer as I forgot to click watch on the thread. Purchased it anyways as it's an area I'm really eager to move into with the insane rents that are going in my country at the moment (Ireland). Looking forward to reading!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Missed the 0.99$ offer as I forgot to click watch on the thread. Purchased it anyways as it's an area I'm really eager to move into with the insane rents that are going in my country at the moment (Ireland). Looking forward to reading!
Thank you!

And this brings up an interesting angle. I love Arizona. 2% population growth for 2 years running. Opportunities come with that...

Upon arrival 10 months ago, my wife, Patrisha, got her RE sales license. She went with Keller Williams. in 7 months she capped and is now playing at 100% pref.

Here's the thing - Arizona is a great place for a house hack as I describe in the book. Those of you who read the book will find validation. So, among other things, the book is meant as a lead gen for her license -- and it's already working :)

So, yes - if anyone here is looking at Arizona as a place to move, let me know. Also, I've got contacts in NJ, NY, FL, and lots of other places in which my version of house hacking is a great fit. I'll refer you to a great agent if I can't help you myself!

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Hi!

This is a good question. To answer - on one hand the AirBnB concept is actually much more developed in Europe, and since my method works best with AirBnB I'd say yes. Actually Europe lends itself even better to my approach.

On the other hand, laws and regs around mortgages are obviously different, I cannot comment much on this. Should be doable, though.

Interestingly, I think that just now America is beginning to catch up to Europe with this Bed and Breakfast concept. Rural Europe has been there forever. I've stayed many a time in B&Bs in the Netherlands, for instance. I think this has to do with the fact that it is more difficult to get a mortgage and people have had to be creative in Europe. Here, in America, the emergence is a function of the growing delta between income and property values.

At the end of the day, this is entrepreneurial people saying - property is too expensive, but we are willing to be entrepreneurs and bring product to market in order to facilitate the burn. Makes sense?

Hi Ben,

thank you for your detailed pro and con list and your perspective in general.
Here in Europe we observe the same appreciation of propertys. I think that Europe is catching up with America in the regard of mortgages. It get's easier to obtain one. Banks are looser with the distribution of mortgages. Could be due to the low interest rates though. Or a mix of a cultural change and low interest environment.

Long story short... I understand it this way: Property is expensive. But I want to live there anyway - To reduce or totally eliminate costs for property, do house hacking.

It totally makes sense!

Can I use current offers on AirBnb as a reference for my area? (As long as the features are near to my property?)

Thank you very much, Ben!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Hi Ben,

thank you for your detailed pro and con list and your perspective in general.
Here in Europe we observe the same appreciation of propertys. I think that Europe is catching up with America in the regard of mortgages. It get's easier to obtain one. Banks are looser with the distribution of mortgages. Could be due to the low interest rates though. Or a mix of a cultural change and low interest environment.

Long story short... I understand it this way: Property is expensive. But I want to live there anyway - To reduce or totally eliminate costs for property, do house hacking.

It totally makes sense!

Can I use current offers on AirBnb as a reference for my area? (As long as the features are near to my property?)

Thank you very much, Ben!
Yes, that's what takes all of the guess work out. Use AirBnB, VRBO, HomeAway to underwrite your potential income. Then discount it to be safe. I go through all of the number and rationale in the book. Step-by-step.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Yes, that's what takes all of the guess work out. Use AirBnB, VRBO, HomeAway to underwrite your potential income. Then discount it to be safe. I go through all of the number and rationale in the book. Step-by-step.

I order it. Thank you very much, Ben! :smile2:

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
I order it. Thank you very much, Ben! :smile2:
It's my pleasure!

People have been telling me to write a book for years. But I hate regurgitating stuff. My real estate course (CFFU) covers things pretty extensively, and I didn't want to write a book until (unless) I had something new, ,meaningful, and timely to add to the conversation.

I believe in real estate. I am not as big as many of my friends, but it is the most stable and reliable income I've got. However, in the current cycle in 2017 it's very difficult to play the RE game. Possible, but hard, and requires a lot of expertise. And with this backdrop, a properly executed house hack is far and away the most viable option for vast majority of people. It's a way to immediately increase your quality of life with real estate in ways that are not possible by simply buying a duplex...

This is why I wrote 'House Hacking'. I believe in the message and in the tools I provide. This will help a lot of people, I feel, both with perspective and technique.

Thanks for noticing!

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
It's my pleasure!

People have been telling me to write a book for years. But I hate regurgitating stuff. My real estate course (CFFU) covers things pretty extensively, and I didn't want to write a book until (unless) I had something new, ,meaningful, and timely to add to the conversation.

I believe in real estate. I am not as big as many of my friends, but it is the most stable and reliable income I've got. However, in the current cycle in 2017 it's very difficult to play the RE game. Possible, but hard, and requires a lot of expertise. And with this backdrop, a properly executed house hack is far and away the most viable option for vast majority of people. It's a way to immediately increase your quality of life with real estate in ways that are not possible by simply buying a duplex...

This is why I wrote 'House Hacking'. I believe in the message and in the tools I provide. This will help a lot of people, I feel, both with perspective and technique.

Thanks for noticing!

Sounds like you already have the next course/ebook mapped out.

"How to write and launch a book yourself on a $2,00 budget"

Seriously - do the thing and then show others how to do the thing. That's the game

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Sounds like you already have the next course/ebook mapped out.

"How to write and launch a book yourself on a $2,00 budget"

Seriously - do the thing and then show others how to do the thing. That's the game
Hahaha 2 problems with that:

1 - it's more like $3,000 budget
2 - and this is more important...while successful in some ways, this book launch has been a flop and a disappointment financially thus far.

I am not done, and there is going to be more data, but I will keep this thread going until we get to the bottom of what went wrong. A few people here, including @MJ DeMarco are well positioned to deconstruct this thing to help me understand what went wrong, how I can salvage this one, and what I can do better on the next.

I totally stand by my book. I think it's good and timely content. But, the launch has not gone as I'd hoped it would...

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Hahaha 2 problems with that:

1 - it's more like $3,000 budget
2 - and this is more important...while successful in some ways, this book launch has been a flop and a disappointment financially thus far.

I am not done, and there is going to be more data, but I will keep this thread going until we get to the bottom of what went wrong. A few people here, including @MJ DeMarco are well positioned to deconstruct this thing to help me understand what went wrong, how I can salvage this one, and what I can do better on the next.

I totally stand by my book. I think it's good and timely content. But, the launch has not gone as I'd hoped it would...

Well all you need is a new title, then:

"How to burn through $3,000 and fail: a new author's lessons in self publishing"

Hah, all seriousness though, why do you call it a flop? If you believe in the material and know in your heart that it's good, you just need to keep working it and getting it into more people's hands. Get creative. It could take a year of trying clever and innovative marketing strategies before it begins to take off... but if the content is correct, it will

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Well all you need is a new title, then:

"How to burn through $3,000 and fail: a new author's lessons in self publishing"

Hah, all seriousness though, why do you call it a flop? If you believe in the material and know in your heart that it's good, you just need to keep working it and getting it into more people's hands. Get creative. It could take a year of trying clever and innovative marketing strategies before it begins to take off... but if the content is correct, it will
Hahah - you're funny!!!

Actually, the book's performance as a loss leader has been very good. But, even though loss leader was one of the intended uses for this book, a successful launch and money-maker was another. I would like to get to the bottom of what the hell I did wrong and how to help it.

Not unimportant is the fact that I delayed the release of the audible version and as such I do have another crack at positioning and marketing. I'll be back with some concrete questions once the dust has settled in a few days...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.