The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you could afford to live anywhere, would you still be where you are?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 30 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
OK, Guys. As I mentioned, the book launch didn’t go well. I am completely behind this book and believe it to offer the most actionable advice in the real estate space. But, this is lost on the audience and I need your thoughts…

This is going to be a bit long - please read through. I need advice. I held back release of audible to have another crack at positioning and marketing, and I need fresh eyes on this. If need be, I’ll re-title and re-brand.

Some preliminary findings:

Prior to the release my biggest concern was that people don’t know what House Hacking even is. House Hacking is a household name to me (and everyone on BiggerPockets), but the wider audience does not know the term.

I didn’t see this as a problem, but rather an opportunity. If I manage to create this market, there is no competition in it. However, I knew this was very much a black bag job and could be ugly at first.

Having spoken to some of the people who did buy the book, two conclusions are evident:

First

Those who know the term House Hacking, know it from BiggerPockets. But, on BP this term has been teed-up as being for those with no money and no life - buy a duplex and rent the other side, and deal with all the nonsense. Compress your lifestyle to save a buck.

Having bought my book people realized that this is not my version of House hacking. Yes, you can use it as a newbie, but this is a way to 10X. It’s not only for those who are broke and can’t pay the mortgage - this is a good strategy for underwriting the cost of locational independence.

Once people realize the up-scale(ness) of my approach, the AirBnB component and what it means, they respond very positively.

Conclusion: Based on this the title should have been ‘Luxury House Hacking’, with vacation rentals / AirBnB in the subtitle.

Second

People outside of BiggerPockets flat out don’t know the term House Hacking - period. This is evident in so many ways…

• For paid book promotion services, I received very low click rates. The title and cover wasn’t enough to get people interested, even at free and 99 cent levels.

• Even my own list had low open, click, and purchase rates. I have educated them on house hacking, but most have likely received BP’s messaging as well, diluting the value.

Conclusion: Once people see on the inside of the book, most respond very positively. But - most don’t make it past the title on the cover!

Challenge: I am marketing to a niche that isn’t yet developed. I’d have to be the forerunner in creating this space.

Third

Whenever I talk to people about the idea and present it as a way to move into luxury markets, they become very excited. I am getting constant confirmation the quality of the book and content is excellent. So I feel great about the product.

Fourth

The FastLane has offered far and away the best reception and support to me. Even much more so than my own list!

First - thank you, guys! I really appreciate this community. But this does make me think the following:

You guys were quick to recognize the value in what I am presenting. But, everyone here is specifically and outwardly entrepreneurial...

My book, unlike so many books, is a literal call to action. For the newbies who have tried to break into REI but can’t - I gave them the formula. And for seasoned players that want more out of life - I gave them a formula as well. So - by buying the book and accepting the message, folks now have to take action. Right?

This might be some of the trouble. As with everything I do, I don’t tell people it’s easy -- only that it is possible, and this is how. But, most want easy… So, did I make a strategic mistake by not pushing the “easy and quick” message?

This is where I am. I believe in this book. I think the message is good and should have legs. The methods are proven since I am doing a House Hack in real time. If you have any thoughts, please share...

- Do I retitle and re-release?
- Do I keep the title, but rework the marketing?

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
"High-End House-hacking made easy"
OK, Guys. As I mentioned, the book launch didn’t go well. I am completely behind this book and believe it to offer the most actionable advice in the real estate space. But, this is lost on the audience and I need your thoughts…

This is going to be a bit long - please read through. I need advice. I held back release of audible to have another crack at positioning and marketing, and I need fresh eyes on this. If need be, I’ll re-title and re-brand.

Some preliminary findings:

Prior to the release my biggest concern was that people don’t know what House Hacking even is. House Hacking is a household name to me (and everyone on BiggerPockets), but the wider audience does not know the term.

I didn’t see this as a problem, but rather an opportunity. If I manage to create this market, there is no competition in it. However, I knew this was very much a black bag job and could be ugly at first.

Having spoken to some of the people who did buy the book, two conclusions are evident:

First

Those who know the term House Hacking, know it from BiggerPockets. But, on BP this term has been teed-up as being for those with no money and no life - buy a duplex and rent the other side, and deal with all the nonsense. Compress your lifestyle to save a buck.

Having bought my book people realized that this is not my version of House hacking. Yes, you can use it as a newbie, but this is a way to 10X. It’s not only for those who are broke and can’t pay the mortgage - this is a good strategy for underwriting the cost of locational independence.

Once people realize the up-scale(ness) of my approach, the AirBnB component and what it means, they respond very positively.

Conclusion: Based on this the title should have been ‘Luxury House Hacking’, with vacation rentals / AirBnB in the subtitle.

Second

People outside of BiggerPockets flat out don’t know the term House Hacking - period. This is evident in so many ways…

• For paid book promotion services, I received very low click rates. The title and cover wasn’t enough to get people interested, even at free and 99 cent levels.

• Even my own list had low open, click, and purchase rates. I have educated them on house hacking, but most have likely received BP’s messaging as well, diluting the value.

Conclusion: Once people see on the inside of the book, most respond very positively. But - most don’t make it past the title on the cover!

Challenge: I am marketing to a niche that isn’t yet developed. I’d have to be the forerunner in creating this space.

Third

Whenever I talk to people about the idea and present it as a way to move into luxury markets, they become very excited. I am getting constant confirmation the quality of the book and content is excellent. So I feel great about the product.

Fourth

The FastLane has offered far and away the best reception and support to me. Even much more so than my own list!

First - thank you, guys! I really appreciate this community. But this does make me think the following:

You guys were quick to recognize the value in what I am presenting. But, everyone here is specifically and outwardly entrepreneurial...

My book, unlike so many books, is a literal call to action. For the newbies who have tried to break into REI but can’t - I gave them the formula. And for seasoned players that want more out of life - I gave them a formula as well. So - by buying the book and accepting the message, folks now have to take action. Right?

This might be some of the trouble. As with everything I do, I don’t tell people it’s easy -- only that it is possible, and this is how. But, most want easy… So, did I make a strategic mistake by not pushing the “easy and quick” message?

This is where I am. I believe in this book. I think the message is good and should have legs. The methods are proven since I am doing a House Hack in real time. If you have any thoughts, please share...

- Do I retitle and re-release?
- Do I keep the title, but rework the marketing?

What are your thoughts?

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
"High-End House-hacking made easy"
I'm thinking -- Luxury House Hacking -- has more simplicity and poignancy to it. Thanks, Jon!

Any other thoughts guys?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
G

GuestUser450

What are your thoughts?

I think niche books do best when you pick one end of the market. So, it's either essentially a business card and a way to build authority, or it's priced much higher and part of package, like a course.

Idea for relaunching the book as part of a course:
  • Presell the course with webinars where you summarize chapters, use excerpts from the course, real case studies and testimonials, outline the process, locations that work, marketing, etc. - Drive signups through your existing list, and traffic from fb ads (pm if you haven't run them, I'll share what's working)
  • Course content: screencast videos of you delivering a powerpoint/keynote presentation where you explain each chapter and next steps.
  • Take the book, the course, the videos you already have, the bonuses, add a private fb group and a maybe skype call where you help them examine deals.
Because it's so specific in scope, the information lends itself to being priced higher in a different format and I'd argue it'd be more helpful to people who've never done this before.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Hey Ben,

Read the sample on Amazon and looks great so far! I like the writing style.

Does your advice apply to most countries? Or is a lot of it American based? I've read a bunch of US Real Estate books but often some of the teachings don't apply elsewhere. I live up north in Canada fyi

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Hey Ben,

Read the sample on Amazon and looks great so far! I like the writing style.

Does your advice apply to most countries? Or is a lot of it American based? I've read a bunch of US Real Estate books but often some of the teachings don't apply elsewhere. I live up north in Canada fyi
What I am doing applies directly. Even more so in Europe than the States!
The reason is in the basic concept - B&B is generally much more accepted in Europe. Not to mention that Europe is much more of a destination. Some friends of mine just did a deal in France.
Additionally, the infrastructure I rely on for this are sites like AirBnB and VRBO - centralized and rather fully autonomous in most ways.
So, I would say - go for it. I think you'll have to "translate" some things to your marketplace, but the idea is totally actionable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.