The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi. (Again)

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
I'll try to be brief here but I feel like I'm facing an impenetrable wall. Since 2014 I've been thinking is: start a business, work for myself and get out of the rat race. Why? For freedom and money. I want the cool shit: the nice cars, the big house. Help my parents retire in comfort.
I made a small web app for my profession that people used, but it didn't make any money.
I feel burnt out doing my 9-5 job as an optometrist as it is repetitive as hell, and yet I feel like changing careers will be losing a lot of my current knowledge. Simultaneously I'm not a big fan of the optometry industry in general as it is focused on the sale of glasses (and fashion) rather than eye health (which makes sense since 75% or more of revenue comes from glasses sales).

Any advice on letting go of being shackled to a career? Having my nose so close to the grindstone of testing eyes and selling glasses has really covered my eyes to the opportunities out there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Any advice on letting go of being shackled to a career? Having my nose so close to the grindstone of testing eyes and selling glasses has really covered my eyes to the opportunities out there.
Join Team Producer
(@Andy Black © All rights reserved)

Start working on a fastlane venture in your spare time, using the business principles learned here. When it reaches escape velocity, drop everything else and focus on the business full time.

In life nothing will change if we do not change it ourselves.

Good luck!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Join Team Producer
(@Andy Black © All rights reserved)

Start working on a fastlane venture in your spare time, using the business principles learned here. When it reaches escape velocity, drop everything else and focus on the business full time.

In life nothing will change if we do not change it ourselves.

Good luck!
Ha. Thanks BizyDad, but I think MJ said that first.

EDIT: Those avatars are confusing me! I meant Heavy_Industry.

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'll try to be brief here but I feel like I'm facing an impenetrable wall. Since 2014 I've been thinking is: start a business, work for myself and get out of the rat race. Why? For freedom and money. I want the cool shit: the nice cars, the big house. Help my parents retire in comfort.
I made a small web app for my profession that people used, but it didn't make any money.
I feel burnt out doing my 9-5 job as an optometrist as it is repetitive as hell, and yet I feel like changing careers will be losing a lot of my current knowledge. Simultaneously I'm not a big fan of the optometry industry in general as it is focused on the sale of glasses (and fashion) rather than eye health (which makes sense since 75% or more of revenue comes from glasses sales).

How can you "grow what you know"?

You know this industry. It already pays your bills. How can you start building a side-income using your current knowledge, skills, and network?

Check out the two radio interviews in my signature.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
How can you "grow what you know"?

You know this industry. It already pays your bills. How can you start building a side-income using your current knowledge, skills, and network?

Check out the two radio interviews in my signature.
One thing I'd like to know is...

What do you know about eye health? That's a topic you don't hear too much about.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
First lesson: sell what people want to buy.

It's not up to you to decide where the money comes from.

People will pay way more for LASIK, glasses, and colored contacts than they will for an eye exam. I don't want to be told that I'm in the early stages of glaucoma, I want to get a new pair of glasses that will help me see better.

Oddly enough, for you I might recommend going through this:

You make too much money to quit your job to run a little $10k/mo Shopify store or freelance or whatever most people on the forum are doing. Your alternative is too good. Most doctors would kill for your schedule. Start by thinking big.

Good luck!

lionessa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2023
I feel burnt out doing my 9-5 job as an optometrist as it is repetitive as hell, and yet I feel like changing careers will be losing a lot of my current knowledge.
Hi Vas87, Sorry to hear that. I feel you. I've been there too, and I am trying to make a transition to work online in my field, and I am wrapping my head around the concept of It is not what you are good at but to do what needs to be done.
I have made several apps for improving eye conditions and would LOVE to have people checked regularly so I can measure my treatment progress. Especially, when they are fired up and they can see better. So far, I had 3 cases of eye issues. The most striking is reversing optic nerve atrophy+ strabismus within a month. (photo on my website), then reducing near sidedness within maybe in 2 months by 1 diopter. And post Bell's palsy strabismus (10 years duration) reversed in 1 day. (no pictures, probably could get).
I have a nice healing modality but I am looking for means to deliver my work further. Anyway, I thought maybe we can talk maybe we come to some conclusion, somehow.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hi Vas87, Sorry to hear that. I feel you. I've been there too, and I am trying to make a transition to work online in my field, and I am wrapping my head around the concept of It is not what you are good at but to do what needs to be done.
I have made several apps for improving eye conditions and would LOVE to have people checked regularly so I can measure my treatment progress. Especially, when they are fired up and they can see better. So far, I had 3 cases of eye issues. The most striking is reversing optic nerve atrophy+ strabismus within a month. (photo on my website), then reducing near sidedness within maybe in 2 months by 1 diopter. And post Bell's palsy strabismus (10 years duration) reversed in 1 day. (no pictures, probably could get).
I have a nice healing modality but I am looking for means to deliver my work further. Anyway, I thought maybe we can talk maybe we come to some conclusion, somehow.
It kind of sounds like you should start a progress thread.

At the very least, I'm sure plenty of forum members would have plenty of ideas on means to deliver your work further.

lionessa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2023
It kind of sounds like you should start a progress thread.

At the very least, I'm sure plenty of forum members would have plenty of ideas on means to deliver your work further.
Great idea BizyDad, I will do it. Thank you!

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

We all want freedom, the nice cars, and etc. But give the people what they need. When starting a FastLane Business you need to make your desires the end result. The solutions you provide to those in need will elevate you and provide the escape from the Rat Race. Start there, find a need and an original or replicable solution that others still need even if there is an existing product or service - innovation.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
One thing I'd like to know is...

What do you know about eye health? That's a topic you don't hear too much about.
Quite a lot! Got me thinking, maybe I can do more of an "authority" style Instagram account to talk about eye health and general fitness (which I'm into). Or possibly bundle up and sell products do deal with common issues: dry eyes and fatigue from computer/screen use.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
What is your app about?
My app helps optometrists fit contact lenses quicker and easier.
Those are some big improvements you've mentioned in your other post, what is your website? I'd be keen to have a look on how your product works.

lionessa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2023
I think your the idea for your app is brilliant!
Shoot me a DM for private info please.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
First lesson: sell what people want to buy.

It's not up to you to decide where the money comes from.

People will pay way more for LASIK, glasses, and colored contacts than they will for an eye exam. I don't want to be told that I'm in the early stages of glaucoma, I want to get a new pair of glasses that will help me see better.

Oddly enough, for you I might recommend going through this:

You make too much money to quit your job to run a little $10k/mo Shopify store or freelance or whatever most people on the forum are doing. Your alternative is too good. Most doctors would kill for your schedule. Start by thinking big.

Good luck!
Somehow missed your reply, but would like to say that you hit the nail on the head. Most of the advice of "start up a marketing agency or doing drop shipping etc" is a huge step back in income. I will go through the exercise you linked as I've followed some of Jay's content a few years ago and hopefully something clicks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...