The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Helping people with websites

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Hello everyone,

I'm Goran, 23 years old from Croatia.

This will be my thread documenting my progress helping people with websites and marketing.

GOAL: Get a first paying client in 90 days and quit job

Currently I'm building a shopify store for a local client for free. He sells jewelery and already has some repeat customers, we just need to get them online and setup email marketing.

Then I'll do a few more local projects with real results for portfolio and then look for clients abroad.

The end goal here is not to build an agency. Instead, I'll use this to become self employed and get some real skills and then start a more scalable business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Hello everyone,

I'm Goran, 23 years old from Croatia.

This will be my thread documenting my progress helping people with websites and marketing.

GOAL: Get a first paying client in 90 days and quit job

Currently I'm building a shopify store for a local client for free. He sells jewelery and already has some repeat customers, we just need to get them online and setup email marketing.

Then I'll do a few more local projects with real results for portfolio and then look for clients abroad.

The end goal here is not to build an agency. Instead, I'll use this to become self employed and get some real skills and then start a more scalable business.

Good luck!

Hopefully, your plan works out really well.

What kind of skills are you bringing to the table (or building) that set you apart from the sea of website builders out there? Do you build websites focused on sales? Since you mentioned marketing as well.

Are you good at design? Programming? Copy? What's your personal genius?

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Good luck!

Hopefully, your plan works out really well.

What kind of skills are you bringing to the table (or building) that set you apart from the sea of website builders out there? Do you build websites focused on sales? Since you mentioned marketing as well.

Are you good at design? Programming? Copy? What's your personal genius?
Thanks!

Yes, I plan on building websites focused on sales and real results.

I know HTML and basic CSS (enough to properly edit a theme and deliver a clean website).

Copywriting is another one. I'm no expert copywriter but sometimes I look at copy on a website and cringe. So that's another area where I can add value.

What's my personal genius? I don't know. Maybe just the ability to put myself in business owner's shoes and see things from their perspective.

For example, this client who sells jewelery... I already have a million ideas that he could use to improve his sales. Many that wouldn't cost him much. Or anything.

That's also how I plan to differentiate myself. Offering value upfront, helping people improve their websites and doing good work.

I'll definitely work on my skills and improve them, but even at this level I'm sure I can create some nice results.

Hope you follow along!

Are you doing web design too?

Speed112

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Dec 5, 2013
Over here, over there.
Hope you follow along!

I will as long as you keep us posted :)

Yes and no. I primarily do direct response copy, but I have been working on building some websites in recent history for my own sake and the ventures I have stake in. So I've been inadvertently building that experience as well.

It's an interesting way of solving problems. Definitely high value-add if you're result-oriented.

the ability to put myself in business owner's shoes and see things from their perspective.

That's a very important skill that many people miss.

It looks like you know what you're doing, so keep at it and I'm sure it'll lead to a lot of good.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Thanks!

Yes, I plan on building websites focused on sales and real results.

I know HTML and basic CSS (enough to properly edit a theme and deliver a clean website).

Copywriting is another one. I'm no expert copywriter but sometimes I look at copy on a website and cringe. So that's another area where I can add value.

What's my personal genius? I don't know. Maybe just the ability to put myself in business owner's shoes and see things from their perspective.

For example, this client who sells jewelery... I already have a million ideas that he could use to improve his sales. Many that wouldn't cost him much. Or anything.

That's also how I plan to differentiate myself. Offering value upfront, helping people improve their websites and doing good work.

I'll definitely work on my skills and improve them, but even at this level I'm sure I can create some nice results.

Hope you follow along!

I was inspired to do web design because of MJ's book. out of the seven months I've been practicing I only spent one on HTML and CSS. That's how easy it is. If that's all you know then you wont get far, even if you are using a third party library like Shopify or Wix. MJ might have gotten away with it when the internet was new, but now it isn't.

We both know MJ is an old dude. So he was working in early 2000's - 2009. websites generally looked like this:
1616865210004.png
This is something you could EASILY create with todays web standards. But look at GitHub's home page today:

1616865467580.png
Yikes! if you visit the actual page that globe spins in the background. I'm actually kind of envious.

The amount of web developers back then were few. I couldn't find an exact number but I would have to guess within the 500,000 - 1 million range.

Today that number is at 23 million.

I didn't give you this information to make you feel overwhelmed or discouraged. In fact, 99.999% of those people are probably just looking for a cushy job with google or something. My little brother has over six years of programming experience. He wants nothing to do with starting a business. That's because he wants to type scripts and get paid to do it. He doesn't want the fuss of learning how to niche or market. How to handle employees or manage books.

I'll give you another example...

My girlfriend comes from India. Indians are some of the smartest most hardworking people in the world and guess what most of them major in:

programming.

Does she want to start a business or take risk? Nope. She wants a high paying job.

This is your diamond lining. Out of those 23 million web dev's out there there only exist hundred's or thousands of web dev companies.

And don't worry about cookie cutter website builders like Shix or BadPress or TimeWastify. These platforms all profit from consumer ignorance and advertising. Have you noticed the amount of Wix advertisements you will get when looking up tutorials on YouTube? A lot. At least I did.

That's because their product can't deliver and they need to be the loudest voice on the internet to get any sort of business and scare away any potential competitors. They charge a low monthly fee because if they were to profit based on commission they would die pretty fast.

I've been learning for seven months as I've said before and I didn't really find this passion rewarding until I started learning how to program.

Yes. You will need to learn JavaScript. I'm going to be completely honest with you and might sound harsh because I'm trying to help you:

If all you know is HTML and CSS and are using third party web makers, your website will just be average at best and will not rise above consumer expectations. Here are the steps you need to take...

1- Learn what it means to be a freelance web developer. Look at this tutorial first to get a good understanding of what to do and where to go.

2-Next, learn the fundamentals of JavaScript.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfuju3dgjE&list=PLGC-hHIh7l5vs0uDGlQEXQGQR2hW8Gcwl

go through this tutorial video by video and DONT CHERRY PICK INFORMATION! One of the biggest mistakes I made learning was jumping from topic to topic. I never learned anything valuable doing it. If you get bored, get up and go take a break. Then come back and keep going. Unlike HTML or CSS, JavaScript is good-old fashioned programming so you wont understand what the hell you're doing sometimes. just bear with it. Once you're done with this I promise things get a lot more fun.

3-Learn HTML DOM
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIORjGvT0kk&list=PL4cUxeGkcC9gfoKa5la9dsdCNpuey2s-V&index=1

HTML and CSS code here:

Now you can actually start making JavaScript do things. Once again, don't skip videos please. Its amazing how the first video in these tutorials have lots of views but the second one has only a fraction. How can you commit to a business if you can't even commit to a few courses...

okay! that's where you can start. if you have any questions feel free to ask. good luck!

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
I was inspired to do web design because of MJ's book. out of the seven months I've been practicing I only spent one on HTML and CSS. That's how easy it is. If that's all you know then you wont get far, even if you are using a third party library like Shopify or Wix. MJ might have gotten away with it when the internet was new, but now it isn't.

We both know MJ is an old dude. So he was working in early 2000's - 2009. websites generally looked like this:
View attachment 37342
This is something you could EASILY create with todays web standards. But look at GitHub's home page today:

View attachment 37343
Yikes! if you visit the actual page that globe spins in the background. I'm actually kind of envious.

The amount of web developers back then were few. I couldn't find an exact number but I would have to guess within the 500,000 - 1 million range.

I didn't give you this information to make you feel overwhelmed or discouraged. In fact, 99.999% of those people are probably just looking for a cushy job with google or something. My little brother has over six years of programming experience. He wants nothing to do with starting a business. That's because he wants to type scripts and get paid to do it. He doesn't want the fuss of learning how to niche or market. How to handle employees or manage books.

My girlfriend comes from India. Indians are some of the smartest most hardworking people in the world and guess what most of them major in:

programming.

Does she want to start a business or take risk? Nope. She wants a high paying job.

This is your diamond lining. Out of those 23 million web dev's out there there only exist hundred's or thousands of web dev companies.

And don't worry about cookie cutter website builders like Shix or BadPress or TimeWastify. These platforms all profit from consumer ignorance and advertising. Have you noticed the amount of Wix advertisements you will get when looking up tutorials on YouTube? A lot. At least I did.

That's because their product can't deliver and they need to be the loudest voice on the internet to get any sort of business and scare away any potential competitors. They charge a low monthly fee because if they were to profit based on commission they would die pretty fast.

I've been learning for seven months as I've said before and I didn't really find this passion rewarding until I started learning how to program.

Yes. You will need to learn JavaScript. I'm going to be completely honest with you and might sound harsh because I'm trying to help you:

If all you know is HTML and CSS and are using third party web makers, your website will just be average at best and will not rise above consumer expectations. Here are the steps you need to take...

1- Learn what it means to be a freelance web developer. Look at this tutorial first to get a good understanding of what to do and where to go.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfuju3dgjE&list=PLGC-hHIh7l5vs0uDGlQEXQGQR2hW8Gcwl

go through this tutorial video by video and DONT CHERRY PICK INFORMATION! One of the biggest mistakes I made learning was jumping from topic to topic. I never learned anything valuable doing it. If you get bored, get up and go take a break. Then come back and keep going. Unlike HTML or CSS, JavaScript is good-old fashioned programming so you wont understand what the hell you're doing sometimes. just bear with it. Once you're done with this I promise things get a lot more fun.

3-Learn HTML DOM
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIORjGvT0kk&list=PL4cUxeGkcC9gfoKa5la9dsdCNpuey2s-V&index=1

HTML and CSS code here:

Now you can actually start making JavaScript do things. Once again, don't skip videos please. Its amazing how the first video in these tutorials have lots of views but the second one has only a fraction. How can you commit to a business if you can't even commit to a few courses...

okay! that's where you can start. if you have any questions feel free to ask. good luck!
Thank you!

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021

View attachment 37342

View attachment 37343

programming.

3-Learn HTML DOM

HTML and CSS code here:

Love this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.