The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello world! Starting from Zero. A journey begins.

BelovedLittleOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 29, 2018
Austria
Thank you for your very straightforward and clear answers! (@MJ DeMarco, @csalvato, @Tubs) They are highly appreciated, because they provide a different point of view and therefore a change of perspectives. They also gave me a great opportunity to reflect on my current situation.

Just because he's a millionaire doesn't mean he's always right. In the same vein, just because this is my opinion, it doesn't make it true just because I'm a millionaire. If two millionaires are arguing, one could be wrong, or both.

Agreed. Ask 20 people to describe the world in 3 words, you'll most likely end up with 60 different words - yet everyone talks about the same world.

Sounds like a guru to me.

A friend of mine knows someone who attended many of the coach's seminars and spent tens of thousands. Yet the person is still working in an average job and not particularly happy about it. Would that person call him a guru? Most likely. Others have attended the same seminars and are now extremely successful, happy and fulfilled entrepreneurs. Would they call him a guru? I don't think so. They'd probably call him coach, mentor, or maybe even friend.
Same seminars, same teacher, different perspectives, different outcomes.

$100k is a lot.

I don't think so. € 70k or $ 100k is what it is. A number. If you are homeless with zero money in your pocket $ 8.50 for a hot meal is a lot. Again, it depends on your perspective.

But to be honest it took a few weeks for me to see it that way. In the beginning the sum intimidated and scared me and made me feel very uncomfortable and aware of my financial state. Now I don't feel that way around that number any more. It's just a number. A sum that I was given to work on, a sum that triggers my creativity and motivation and that kicks me into action.

If I want to reach my (financial) goals in the next few years I better get comfortable with any kind of number. If big numbers evoke negative feelings I will most likely either stay clear of them all together or not handle them with confidence and a calm, focused state of mind.
Do you think there is a connection on how one thinks about money (or numbers) and the balance of their bank accounts?

It might be a little bit like the example MJ gave in his book: If you think "Can I afford it?" the answer is no. You can't. Change the question to "What do I need to, and am I willing to do in order to be able to pay for it?" it will give you a different starting point. - I'm not talking about chasing money here, in case that came across that way.
It's also a bit like @csalvato says about Tony Robbins and the ROI. I don't think that everyone who books his program (or similar programs) "can afford" it in the sense that they have the money as "fun-money" in their bank accounts. I believe many see it as an investment they are purchasing in order to get way more out of it than what they invested and are therefore even willing to take on a personal loan.
Anyway, I'm truly grateful that I made the decision, it.

I just would be very careful about your motivations. Does this offer fit into a realistic budget for you? And if you decide to do it, why is that?

Thank you so much for those two questions! They are great and challenging questions! I truly enjoyed pondering on them!
Does it fit into a realistic budget for me? Again: perspective. If I look into my bank account (which I did at first), then no, it doesn't. If I see the bigger picture, then yes, it is absolutely achievable.
Why did I decide to do it? Any decision we make is primarily an emotional one. Then our head starts to argue the pro and cons. So, in my case it started with pure “gut-feeling”. Then it was because of the things I can learn there (hard skills as well as soft skills), of how it stretches me and creates opportunities, because of the networking that comes along with it, and because I can see more value in it than € 70k.

Time will proof the real value of that decision.

Again - thank you so much for your answers! As always, I'll keep you updated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BelovedLittleOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 29, 2018
Austria
@Andy Black
Thank you for your answer! I don't quite understand what you mean with a few things you said, would you mind explaining them to me?

What exactly do you mean by "so I can consume more"? Where lies the difference between consuming something and investing in something from your point of view?
Why are you "genuinely worried" about me? What does "to worry" mean to you? What exactly are you worried about? What is the worst case szenario you think I got myself into?

I hope those questions don't sound strange. ;)
Thank you!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black
Thank you for your answer! I don't quite understand what you mean with a few things you said, would you mind explaining them to me?

What exactly do you mean by "so I can consume more"? Where lies the difference between consuming something and investing in something from your point of view?
Why are you "genuinely worried" about me? What does "to worry" mean to you? What exactly are you worried about? What is the worst case szenario you think I got myself into?

I hope those questions don't sound strange. ;)
Thank you!
You’ve paid to go on seminars. Seminars can help, but remember you’re consuming when in the seminar (unless they get you creating stuff of course).

Our goal is to move from team consumer to team producer. I don’t believe we become more of a producer by consuming more. A little consuming can help of course, but remember that “We can’t invoice for input”. (Blaise Brosnan)

I’m worried because you’ve spent money you don’t have, and what you wrote has me wondering about your mentor.

liero1

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Oct 17, 2019
wow, you make many people worry about a person they never met; including me - please be careful when people sell /building the successful mindset that guarantees you a, b, c/. It only guarantees to fill their pockets - but still hopefully you come out stronger than when you went in.

You seem incredible driven and surely you won't need to spend money on anyone telling you how to think ... If you are insecure talk to friends/family. If you think you don't have what you need to SUCCEED, think again, we are all born with it, its on your shoulders.

Success is much less of all that. It is simply a fit to market product, long term execution and professional marketing approach. Boom.

I wish you could somehow get that money back and put it in a marketing budget or just save it and boot strap your journey.

BelovedLittleOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 29, 2018
Austria
You’ve paid to go on seminars. Seminars can help, but remember you’re consuming when in the seminar (unless they get you creating stuff of course.

I’m worried because you’ve spent money you don’t have, and what you wrote has me wondering about your mentor.

Thank you for explaining that :thumbsup:

The input I got in the first seminar was directly applicable to our landingpage and when I contacted customers. It gave me a red line that I could follow, made me aware of pitfalls and gave me great confidence when speaking on the phone to potential customers. All the examples or exercises he brings or does you have to do again/rewrite for your own business and you either check them in group exercises or directly with him. You can ask him any questions during the sessions, if it's relevant for the group he answers it directly, or if it's too specific he takes time in the breaks to answer.
True, I'm not stricktly "producing" yet. Our Business is not online/live yet. Never the less was I already able to apply things I've learned. I personally don't view it as a feel-good seminar where you get a sheet of paper that you put in a frame on the wall to show to others (or yourself).
The seminars are spread over 1.5 years. We also agreed on a step-by-step payment plan where I pay 50% of the seminar 2 weeks in advance, 50% the latest 2 months after I attended it. Sounded fair to me.

I will not ask for a refund (@Andy Black @Tubs @liero1) - although I truly highly appreciate your honest concerns and clear words on that matter. What I learn in the seminars is of great value for me and I intend to give the company a boost-start with that Knowledge that is worth double the 70k...

... hopefully you come out stronger than when you went in.
I already have :blush:

If you are insecure talk to friends/family. If you think you don't have what you need to SUCCEED, think again, we are all born with it, its on your shoulders.

Loving it - thank you for those words! Yes, I believe that everybody has the potential to succeed.
I'm working on my "BOOM" and I'm really looking forward to it

:cool:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good luck, you seem to be confident in your decision on the investment. Obviously, you have more info about it than I do.

BelovedLittleOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 29, 2018
Austria
2020-02-12 – asking permission to launch a company – or: never forget to read the fine print

The little girl had a most baffled look on her face. She sat across the table of a tall, very skinny elderly woman with grey hair and big glasses. “What do you mean, my boss has to agree to me getting a racetrack license?! What has my part-time job at Walmart got to do with what I’m doing in my free time?? It’s none of his business!”

“Look lass, I don’t make the rules around here. If you have a problem with that, go hug the cactus.” Expressionless she pointed to a man-high cactus in the corner. It was wearing a cowboy hat, a fake mustache and sunglasses. Someone had a really weird sense of humor around here.

So, a 50-word-long sentence in my work contract can make my whole idea of the business and all the work I’ve poured into it so far disappear into thin smoke. Seriously?! Well, let’s keep all fingers crossed and that my current employer in the steel industry doesn’t mind me building a business in the equestrian industry.

Darn. Signing the contract was a no-brainer at the time. Lesson learned. Always read (and remember) the fine print. The great chance about that situation? Practice to ask yourself questions and take action steps that lead to your desired goal.

I will get that permission.
I'll keep you updated.

Trumpet and fanfares for the little girl that prepares for a talk with her boss.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.