The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Belgium

MrMoon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 4, 2019
Belgium
Hi to all.

My name is Thomas, I'm 34 years old and I live near Bruges, Belgium.

I have a bachelor degree in tech and worked as a system administrator ever since.

Last year I gave up my J.O.B. and started working as a freelancer doing long-term contracts at one location (> 6 months).
It started of exciting but soon gave me the feeling (or as I call it now, my FTE) I was just an employee sending invoices.

At the start of this year I read MJ's books and decided to stop trading my time for money and setup a proper CENTS-compliant system where I could apply my job experience.

Despite being motivated to get cracking I guess I ended up with a serious case of analysis paralysis and can't seem to find a proper idea to get started.

More and more I get the feeling that all the technical knowledge from my system administration job can only be sold by the hour and I am losing motivation.

If anyone passing by could give me some advice from a 3rd person perspective that would be great and much appreciated.

Anyhow, this is me. Nice to meet everyone. Hope I can find some great inspiration here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Welkom :).

What's the reason you want to keep doing what you've done before? What about new skills? Are you filling a need? Can you scale/outsource it?

MrMoon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 4, 2019
Belgium
Dankjewel :smile:.

The main reason to base it on what I've done before is to hit the ground running and not have to start over from scratch. It kind of feels like a shame to throw away all the effort I've invested in those skills.

Also, there's some aspects of it I find enjoyable (I'm fascinated by Docker containers, for example) and the aim would be to cherry-pick those.

What I'm doing now doesn't scale, it's 100% tied to my time. Outsourcing is not a valid option.

My goal would be to stop freelancing and have a proper system but I'm just stuck on building a CENTS system on top of the skills I have acquired during the past years.

Feels like my mind is blocking when I'm trying to think of ideas.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
As first you don't have start CENTS right away, as mentioned on many other posts on this forum the must have is a need (ceNts). Start networking, get experience and you'll find more problems in your niche you've never tought of. From there you can start creating a CENTS business.

brief

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Sep 19, 2018
Hello from Belgium (Antwerp) ;-).
I'm in the same situation (trading 100% of my time for money). Had some entrepreneurial successes in the past but nothing sustainable in the longterm. Always smaller side projects.

If you'd like sharing thoughts or hold each other accountable, let me know ;).

Grtz

BelgianDude

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 6, 2019
Welcome Thomas.

It looks like I'm in the same situation like you, working fulltime and living near Bruges.

Since you are a freelancer, which do you prefer? Keep working as a freelancer doing long-term contracts or become an employee again?

MrMoon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 4, 2019
Belgium
Thanks all for replying, already had a good read on this forum. Thanks for sharing the thread, @Wiezel . I stumbled upon it before but haven't given it the detailed read it deserves.

If anyone wants to keep in touch/share thoughts/... as @brief suggested, feel free to send a DM.

@BelgianDude Definitely prefer freelancing over employee, not going back. The only way is forward :smile:
I have the VAT number now anyway and still hope to scale it into a CENTS business.

I prefer working with smaller clients in the local area over long-term contracts for the big players but most of you probably know how hard it is to find shorter contracts. I do think you can get a closer relationship with smaller family-owned business and really find out what keeps them up at night. Also, I hate commuting on the busy Flemish highways :smile2:.

MrMoon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 4, 2019
Belgium
Just my luck. Will have to keep an eye on that so I can join for the next one.
Maybe you can give some tips based on the intro? Would be much appreciated.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Just my luck. Will have to keep an eye on that so I can join for the next one.
Maybe you can give some tips based on the intro? Would be much appreciated.

Imo working freelance is a logical step between a job and a business. That was also the case for me. You have more control now, but you will have to aim to the next milestone and in the best case you can combine both. Start training your idea muscle by writing down at least 5 ideas daily, even if they suck. Try to understand how opportunities sound or look like. I used to have your problem, but I find TONS of ideas daily now.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

More and more I get the feeling that all the technical knowledge from my system administration job can only be sold by the hour and I am losing motivation.

It kind of feels like a shame to throw away all the effort I've invested in those skills.

Hey, don't lose motivation:)

As a web developer I can understand your feeling very well.

And the great thing is - you don't have to throw away those skills, but actually can build on top of them.

E.g.Could you run a web hosting company? I heard it can be very lucrative (from someone who runs one). Yes, there are so many already, but you can niche down. E.g.serve the local market?

Or could you scale whatever you're doing right now, by hiring others?

On this forum you'll also find an abundance of inspiring threads.

Best of luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have you tried recently? What size are the pics?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Have you tried recently? What size are the pics?

Yeah, works now !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...