The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have I killed my business? (Trademark Infringement)

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
Yesterday I received an email from someone about a trademark infringement. We are in the same industry and our names differ by 1 letter. However, when I registered the domain name they were not around. Their site seems to be quite new while mine is almost 2 years old and has a few blogs and videos about it. Theirs seems to not have this yet, I feel they may be trying to piggyback off my existing traffic.

Problem is, I have not trademarked my name as I'm still in the process of trying to make revenue, so I'm worried this means I will have to change it. Is there anything I can do to keep the name?

I'm a student and I don't really have the money to spend on trademarking (or lawyers!) as of yet, so I wanted to focus on generating revenue before I worried about legal issues. Perhaps this was a mistake.

I really like my current name and don't want to change it, I'm worried it will destroy my business. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
It’s time for you to play a game of poker.

This other group would appear to have some cash to burn.

They are showing their hand and telling you that they have cash because protecting their IP will not be free.

This is your chance to respond with evidence that you have been around longer and their trademark may be in question.

Along with this information, I would offer to sell. Give them a number. Less than what their legal fees would be.

Discuss this with your lawyer.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Hey Tim, I've run into this problem before.

Have you searched your name in the US Trademark Database yet?
TESS -- Error

This is your chance to respond with evidence that you have been around longer and their trademark may be in question.

Exactly. If they're brand new they're likely trying to bully you into backing out.
Tall hat, no cattle.

So, assuming they aren't some super old company with a trademark that out-ages your existence, they will have no basis to claim copyright because you have First Use.

You can look more into it, but basically it protects the name from being trademarked by any other party if you've been using it longer.

So here's what I'd do:

1: Respond with "Please forward this to my attorney, 'legal@timthecoder.co' and a phone number to reach you please. Thank You." This is to smoke them out.
2: If they're still giving you a hard time, call them. Say firmly that they have no legitimate case in a court of law, as you have first use. Explain what it is, and propose a counter offer to sell the domain name like @fvcorp said.
3: I'd get that name trademarked asap, just in case.

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer.

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
So, assuming they aren't some super old company with a trademark that out-ages your existence, they will have no basis to claim copyright because you have First Use.
Well, I've recently found that they are listed under the Canadian trademarks and it was registered BEFORE my site was created. Weird that their site doesn't seem to have any history, perhaps it was an offline service and they've recently taken it online. I'm assuming this means I'm screwed?

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I'm assuming this means I'm screwed?
It's possible, not sure.

I'd seek an IP attorney (see if you can get a free consultation and call).
Maybe Canadian trademarks don't apply in the US, and vice versa.
It's also possible they don't have a case since your name differs slightly.

I honestly don't know at this point.

Any IP experts on the forum want to chime in?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
See what you can do to work with them and genuinely try to avoid confusion.

If yours was first used in commerce, you are probably fine.

No. You didn't kill your business. Try to work something out or call a lawyer.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
If yours was first used in commerce, you are probably fine.
Can you elaborate on this? How would this route work out?

What kind of commerce? Selling on a local flea market, as compared to licensed means, say retail? Dunno if the law has boundaries as to what commerce would stand for.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Can you elaborate on this? How would this route work out?

What kind of commerce? Selling on a local flea market, as compared to licensed means, say retail? Dunno if the law has boundaries as to what commerce would stand for.

People can sue anyone for anything. The best thing to do is look strong yet cooperative. Like you can make this expensive for them, but instead of cutting each others throats let's just come to an agreement.

I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.