The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I moved from Scotland to Spain and it was game-changing.

Back in Scotland now. The weather certainly impacts your health and well-being. THAT SAID, in my home country there are other factors that I can't get in Spain.

You have to weigh up what is most important to you. But yeah, photobiomodulation suggests that light is very, very important to our health.

Are you back living in Scotland?

The UK weather is just not for me and never will be. Work all week waiting for the weekend then the choices are go for a walk/hike in the rain or walk down the beach and get your face blown off by the wind.

All the kids want to do is play on computers. There's a better life.

Everyday is about getting up and taking steps to the day I can leave this country to live somewhere else. However brexit hasn't helped also. Not sure how that's going to affect living in Spain but I'll make it happen.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Are you back living in Scotland?

The UK weather is just not for me and never will be. Work all week waiting for the weekend then the choices are go for a walk/hike in the rain or walk down the beach and get your face blown off by the wind.

All the kids want to do is play on computers. There's a better life.

Everyday is about getting up and taking steps to the day I can leave this country to live somewhere else. However brexit hasn't helped also. Not sure how that's going to affect living in Spain but I'll make it happen.
Yes, when covid kicked off we got out on the first available day we could fly back. Spain was pretty hardcore with the lockdown and I wasn't sure how things were going to pan out so wanted to be in my own country for a number of reasons.

Spain life was epic. We lived 9 months there and 3 months in Scotland in "Summer" and it was a really great balance. You're right, when we were over there we were outdoors a lot more and my kids have been on screens a lot more since we came back.

Like I said above, there are pros and cons to every country. We were resident in Spain which came with its own stipulations like having private health insurance etc. I'd like to go back but it'll more likely be 9 months here and 3 months there going forward.

Alberto322

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 28, 2021
For the last half-year, I have been studying in a nordic country and I realized how important it was for me to be in a warm climate and to have hours of daylight.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I moved from Michigan to Arizona just over 1 yr ago. Am I happier? No. But then I don't let my life circumstances determine my level of happiness.

Do I enjoy it here more than MI? 100%! With 1.8 million acres of National Forest surrounding me, there's plenty of outdoor activity to do which I love. There's even water to go kayaking! If I feel like skiing I drive North 1hr. If I feel chilly during the winter months, I drive South a bit.

People are outdoors more here and I have really great conversations. People's moods are more positive.

I've always felt you need to live in a place for 1 yr to know if it's where you want to stay. As of today, I don't think I will stay here. I will scale out my business here but the city has a lot of challenges and a LOT of tourists(to the point where the locals are just pissed off).

Once you know what you don't want....you know what you DO want.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
I've always felt you need to live in a place for 1 yr to know if it's where you want to stay. As of today, I don't think I will stay here. I will scale out my business here but the city has a lot of challenges and a LOT of tourists(to the point where the locals are just pissed off).

What's the next destination?

JDE

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 11, 2017
Edmonton
Has anyone tried splitting their time between two places? I live in Edmonton Alberta and I love the summers here but I'm disliking the winters more and more every year. Since I don't have a traditional job this might be a little easier for me but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this? ie Edmonton during the summers and California/Hawaii etc for the winters

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Has anyone tried splitting their time between two places? I live in Edmonton Alberta and I love the summers here but I'm disliking the winters more and more every year. Since I don't have a traditional job this might be a little easier for me but I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this? ie Edmonton during the summers and California/Hawaii etc for the winters

I sort of did it last year. February-July in Barbados, August-October in Poland, October-December a road trip through Europe and spending a few weeks in southern Spain (spring/summer weather). It was much easier to survive winter in Poland later (though we planned to escape in February again so originally only wanted to stay for January).

This fall we plan to leave again, come back for Christmas, and then hopefully leave after Christmas again. I can't stand Polish winters no matter how much I try.

I think it may be the best of both worlds. Summer in temperate climates can be pretty nice, while summer in hot places is sometimes too hot (and often crowded with tourists).

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
What's the next destination?
Uncertain. We'll be here for another year I think to build up the businesses. Idea is to sell one business and scale the other(if it works). We'll road trip it in the early Fall to look for other places to live. We'll start with North and West of here. I'm taking global warming into considerations as I have kids and want to leave them some properties in areas that will be pleasant to live in 20-30 yrs from now.

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia
Oh help.. I have just temporarily moved from the warm north NSW Australia to the freezing cold, locked down Melbourne :/

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Such an actual subject for me although not actually being able to do it but id love to move from Paris down to the French Riviera as a French Resident, life is as expensive but so much better and i kinda feel 'at home' when im down there..something im sure about is that i dont belong in Paris, just need to build online businesses to allow flexibility.

Last edited:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
One of things I've been thinking about recently is how your surroundings can hinder your goals for some people but have the opposite affect for others.

Example: I want to live in Spain. Or at least travel a lot more. You'd think each day I feel miserable when it's cold and raining etc would spur me on to grow my business in order to be able to achieve my goal. It actually tends to have a negative affect.

All the vices and habits i've built up in this location take over each day, I'm talking about eating poorly, staying in bed because its cold and dark (although it's summer at the moment so I'm happier!), sitting watching TV of a night instead of working more. Hanging about drinking with friends who quite frankly will never amount to anything other than working 5 days and spending 2 days in the pub every weekend.

However for lots of people they use that pain, negative opinions of their current location as fuel for growth!

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
One of things I've been thinking about recently is how your surroundings can hinder your goals for some people but have the opposite affect for others.

Example: I want to live in Spain. Or at least travel a lot more. You'd think each day I feel miserable when it's cold and raining etc would spur me on to grow my business in order to be able to achieve my goal. It actually tends to have a negative affect.

All the vices and habits i've built up in this location take over each day, I'm talking about eating poorly, staying in bed because its cold and dark (although it's summer at the moment so I'm happier!), sitting watching TV of a night instead of working more. Hanging about drinking with friends who quite frankly will never amount to anything other than working 5 days and spending 2 days in the pub every weekend.

However for lots of people they use that pain, negative opinions of their current location as fuel for growth!
Can you build your business from Spain?

From my experience the economic climate is a lot worse in Spain than in Western Europe. I've lived in Spain for three years working a job in my early twenties. When working a job it's not much better than working in The Netherlands.

Pay is extremely low, rents are high because you need to live in a city for work and doing 9-6 every day isn't more fun than in my home country. And you still have to do all the other tasks you do every day, like groceries, house cleaning, laundry, etc. It just feels like another home, albeit with sunshine.

But with worse pay and annoyances because many things are not as well organized as they are in the North of Europe. I still haven't regretted the decision of moving back to The Netherlands. I was able to get a well paid job and buy a house. I was able to start businesses and finally have two which are picking up momentum.

Now, if you own a thriving business it's completely different story. But as long as you can't survive on your business profit I wouldn't make the jump. The gain in sunshine doesn't weigh up against the loss in economic climate. At least in my opinion.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Summer is slowly coming to an end in Poland and I'm already starting to feel depressed. It sounds like a first world problem but each time fall approaches, it provokes a deep trauma in me that makes me think of death. No amount of "spiritual" work helps me overcome the deep, deep hate I have for the fall and winter and the sadness it causes.

Within a week or two I won't be able to swim anymore in the lake (it's already much colder). Nights are getting chillier already. Sun is lower in the sky and in a few days it'll be too low to make the body produce vitamin D (the angle needs to be above 50 degrees). Before I know it, it'll be September and even if it's going to be sunny, the days will keep getting shorter and colder and I'll have to wait EIGHT f***ing months for good weather again.

This year I plan to leave for the fall and return for Christmas and then hopefully leave again in January but it all depends on the BS restrictions.

@Paul David how are you?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Summer is slowly coming to an end in Poland and I'm already starting to feel depressed. It sounds like a first world problem but each time fall approaches, it provokes a deep trauma in me that makes me think of death. No amount of "spiritual" work helps me overcome the deep, deep hate I have for the fall and winter and the sadness it causes.

Within a week or two I won't be able to swim anymore in the lake (it's already much colder). Nights are getting chillier already. Sun is lower in the sky and in a few days it'll be too low to make the body produce vitamin D (the angle needs to be above 50 degrees). Before I know it, it'll be September and even if it's going to be sunny, the days will keep getting shorter and colder and I'll have to wait EIGHT f***ing months for good weather again.

This year I plan to leave for the fall and return for Christmas and then hopefully leave again in January but it all depends on the BS restrictions.

@Paul David how are you?
It's started raining here in Alaska. Mom used to tell me every August that it will rain until it snows in October. She's been gone for years, but she's still right. The leaves will start dropping in the next couple of weeks. The berries are starting to ripen as our summer winds down. The salmon are running up the rivers and moose hunting season will start soon. Our first good freeze is about 6 weeks away. Our daylight hours are getting shorter and shorter every day. By Christmas we'll have some dusky light for 5 or 6 hours per day. BUT, it's been a glorious summer -- the green of the plants was so intense that it almost hurt my eyes to look at them. And life is good!

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
It's rained the last 3 weeks here in Ireland and it's really starting to piss me off. I'm outta here in December. Moving to sunny to Spain so I get at least 300 days of it a year.

I hired a mentor last year and he told me I suffer from seasonal depression. He said he used to live in San Francisco and it happened him too so he moved to Florida.

It really is a thing that some people need to perform at their best.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Mar 15, 2018
I woke up today at my usual 5am, started up coffee maker and looked outside into darkness with flickering city lights in the distance and realized, days are shorter, this sucks. All the while we have a heatwave and it will be soon cooking inside my house even with the AC.

I don’t like the darkness of winters. Maybe that’s why I tend to do more intense training workouts in the mornings in the winter.

Visited a new acquaintance and potential business partner for a lunch at his house, a waterfront with mesmerizing views 180 degrees. Stunning, just stunning views and all in great company.

It hit me, @Kak is right… we deserve to be happy and celebrate wins. Just because I woke up to a shorter day doesn’t matter. I’m one lucky SOB.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Definitely thinking about moving somewhere warm in France or near the Adriatic sea, maybe Montenegro.We had no summer here in Paris,absolute none its grey and we had 1 week of sunny days and extreme heat then it all stopped.

Need to find a way to be able to live there with a laptop based business first.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
For anyone in the US complaining about the lack of sunshine there:

FMNXiF5XsAQtAll.jpg

I once did research on it and found that even the least sunny cities in the US like Seattle are still WAY sunnier than most places in Europe.

This is why a thread like this usually mostly attracts people from Europe. This is also why many people in the US won't be able to relate because no matter where you live, it's still probably at least double as sunny as it is in most places in Europe.

The map above doesn't feature Canada but a large part of Canada is also sunnier than many places in Europe.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

View attachment 42327

I once did research on it and found that even the least sunny cities in the US like Seattle are still WAY sunnier than most places in Europe.

This is why a thread like this usually mostly attracts people from Europe. This is also why many people in the US won't be able to relate because no matter where you live, it's still probably at least double as sunny as it is in most places in Europe.

The map above doesn't feature Canada but a large part of Canada is also sunnier than many places in Europe.

Oh. That explains why we think a good day is one where it’s not raining.

I’m from the England/Scotland border (just below that blue spot), and live in the middle of Ireland (just to the right of another blue spot).

McAdam

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jan 11, 2022
Canary Islands
Moving somewhere with more daylight, and a more balanced temperature system was the best decision of my life.
I previously lived in more than 15 cities spread across Europe, Central America and even North Africa.

I found somewhere within the EU, so its fully developed and has most of the creature comforts. And there's usually €25 return flights to most EU cities!

In the deep of winter, the sun sets at 6pm - in summer its 10:30pm
In winter the temperature is a nice average of 20c, with occasional nights going down to 15c.
In summer the temp rarely goes above 32c, so I'm not dying of sweat in my sleep.

But its not the actual temperature that will make you feel hot or cold - its the humidity.
From experience, -4c in Berlin feels like 3c in London. Here the humidity is perfect all year round, and there a nice cooling breeze in summer.

Prior to this I would suffer immensely from SAD, and I would have 6-9 months of unproductive time where I felt like shit.
I had those wake up lamps, sun lamps, fake heat lamps around the house - nothing worked.

Now I can go for a "Sun Bath" walk almost 320 days of the year (other days cloudy).

My wife and I joke that we are both Solar Powered - if there's a week of meh sun, we can't wait to spend a whole day working from the beaches to recharge.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Moving somewhere with more daylight, and a more balanced temperature system was the best decision of my life.
I previously lived in more than 15 cities spread across Europe, Central America and even North Africa.

I found somewhere within the EU, so its fully developed and has most of the creature comforts. And there's usually €25 return flights to most EU cities!

In the deep of winter, the sun sets at 6pm - in summer its 10:30pm
In winter the temperature is a nice average of 20c, with occasional nights going down to 15c.
In summer the temp rarely goes above 32c, so I'm not dying of sweat in my sleep.

But its not the actual temperature that will make you feel hot or cold - its the humidity.
From experience, -4c in Berlin feels like 3c in London. Here the humidity is perfect all year round, and there a nice cooling breeze in summer.

Prior to this I would suffer immensely from SAD, and I would have 6-9 months of unproductive time where I felt like shit.
I had those wake up lamps, sun lamps, fake heat lamps around the house - nothing worked.

Now I can go for a "Sun Bath" walk almost 320 days of the year (other days cloudy).

My wife and I joke that we are both Solar Powered - if there's a week of meh sun, we can't wait to spend a whole day working from the beaches to recharge.

Canary Islands?

McAdam

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jan 11, 2022
Canary Islands
Canary Islands?
Yup, Each Island is completely different in landscape and climate.
There was snow on the peaks of Tenerife last week, but here on Fuerteventura there was epic sun.
We regularly go snorkeling in December!

And about covid restrictions - some islands demand "Green Pass" at every and anywhere - I've never been asked here in Fuerteventura (Often called the chillest island - probably due to large number of surfers)

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Yup, Each Island is completely different in landscape and climate.
There was snow on the peaks of Tenerife last week, but here on Fuerteventura there was epic sun.
We regularly go snorkeling in December!

And about covid restrictions - some islands demand "Green Pass" at every and anywhere - I've never been asked here in Fuerteventura (Often called the chillest island - probably due to large number of surfers)
I've just returned from Tenerife last week. Perfect climate for me.

I actually have live webcams on my desktop every day from Tenerife.

The issue for me being from England, is now the idiots voted for Brexit I can only spend 90 days out of last 180 in Spain. The only way we could probably move over there permanently now would be a golden Visa which means you need to buy a property without a mortgage for 500,000 euros or more. I'm only 498,000 euros short haha.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

View attachment 42327

yes Europe is grim weather wise, apart from southern Spain.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
I moved from Canada to Dubai, and my life is better. Every day I wake up in a good mood and like to bask in the sunlight.

How are you faring with the lack of green nature?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

View attachment 42327

Very interesting! In my first 6 months here in Utah I was absolutely shocked how many sunny days there were, now I see why. Even when it snows and accumulates, a few days later it is gone because the high elevation and frequent sun.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
Very interesting! In my first 6 months here in Utah I was absolutely shocked how many sunny days there were, now I see why. Even when it snows and accumulates, a few days later it is gone because the high elevation and frequent sun.

Yeah I remember replying to your post where you announced moving to Utah. I said that even though it would be colder it would be still pretty sunny.

Most people in the US aren't aware how blessed they are with the climate. Sun is rare in many countries in Europe in the winter.

Giallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 6, 2019
Lisbon, Portugal
Very interesting map, but sun and temperature are two very different things and don't always go along. Plus, there's humidity that plays a factor as well like McAdam said.

I'm originally from Venice Italy. Great summers, gloomy winter (it's a thing in the northern part). Beach culture: awesome. The fog was thick for all winter, you can't see the sky at all for weeks on a row. The mood was up in summer and down in winters.

I lived 5 years in Tokyo. Great weather all year, sunny all the time, the weather was always putting me in a good mood, the frustrating factors were not weather related. Beach culture: not so good. The difficult part of the weather was that winter is extremely dry. This caused a series of illness such as sore throat etc in people that are not used (or "designed for") to that climate. My skin was constantly dry and I started to have some weird issues because I was used to the totally opposite (foggy italian winters)

The curious thing about Tokyo was that there were not many restaurants and spaces designed to stay outside and enjoy the weather fully.

I now moved to Lisbon which has all the perks of Italy but without the fog. The sheer amount of sunny days is incredible. Everyone is sitting outside in restaurants and cafes. The water at the beach is freezing though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.