The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting leads via Cold Calling?

Marketing, social media, advertising

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
I hope this is the right area to ask this,

So I have started an online business selling Websites and everything that would encompass (SEO/Logos/Funnels)

I'm trying to get sales but I'm struggling at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any know how on how I could improve my progress?

What I'm currently doing is going on google maps & yell and making myself a big list of people to call.

Then I go through the list systematically and phone them.

I've called about 150 so far and I think it's time to re-evaluate my strategy as I've gotten 0 jobs from it and about 5 leads.

My phone calls go something like this:

"Hi I'm HJP calling from X, I hope you don't mind me reaching out. I found your business online while searching through (My Region) and saw you (had/had no website) and I wanted to ask if I could help you out and provide you with a bespoke website designed to grow your (business/brand)"

Them - "No I don't need one / We do our own websites (Wix/goDaddy/Unprofessional website) / I can't afford one / Ok but I have one ( Outdated or very poorly designed) / "Ok I am interested (Rare)")

If they say they don't need one I'd say " I'm glad it's working for you without one, but what makes you think that you don't need one?"

If they say they do their own I say "I can see that you did it with Wix/GoDaddy etc and it doesn't look too bad, however I can make you a website with my 5 years of web development experience that will be far more effective at converting potential clients"

If anyone has any tips I'd appricieate it a lot, I'm also looking at doing voice mails & am currently doing facebook ads off the advice of a post here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

So I have started an online business selling Websites and everything that would encompass (SEO/Logos/Funnels)

I'm trying to get sales but I'm struggling at the moment and was wondering if anyone had any know how on how I could improve my progress?

What I'm currently doing is going on google maps & yell and making myself a big list of people to call.

I've called about 150 so far and I think it's time to re-evaluate my strategy as I've gotten 0 jobs from it and about 5 leads.

"Hi I'm HJP calling from X, I hope you don't mind me reaching out. I found your business online while searching through (My Region) and saw you (had/had no website) and I wanted to ask if I could help you out and provide you with a bespoke website designed to grow your (business/brand)"

Them - "No I don't need one / We do our own websites (Wix/goDaddy/Unprofessional website) / I can't afford one / Ok but I have one ( Outdated or very poorly designed) / "Ok I am interested (Rare)")

If they say they don't need one I'd say " I'm glad it's working for you without one, but what makes you think that you don't need one?"

If they say they do their own I say "I can see that you did it with Wix/GoDaddy etc and it doesn't look too bad, however I can make you a website with my 5 years of web development experience that will be far more effective at converting potential clients"

If anyone has any tips I'd appricieate it a lot, I'm also looking at doing voice mails & am currently doing facebook ads off the advice of a post here.
I'd advise you to look at Brian Tracy's "the psychology of selling" and Alex hormozis selling presentations on YouTube.

Then use these sources to make yourself a good sales script.
In a nutshell, you don't want to pitch your service right away and instead get them to go on a videocall where they have some time to listen to you.

Tell them you have an opportunity for them to increase their revenue and ask if they would like to schedule a meeting for 10 to 15 minutes sometime soon, so you can explain it to them.

This is the setting phase.
After that on the second call you can actually try to close the deal.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
I'd advise you to look at Brian Tracy's "the psychology of selling" and Alex hormozis selling presentations on YouTube.

Then use these sources to make yourself a good sales script.
In a nutshell, you don't want to pitch your service right away and instead get them to go on a videocall where they have some time to listen to you.

Tell them you have an opportunity for them to increase their revenue and ask if they would like to schedule a meeting for 10 to 15 minutes sometime soon, so you can explain it to them.

This is the setting phase.
After that on the second call you can actually try to close the deal.
Thanks for your reply.

I'll note down the Brian tracy book :)

I've also been watching Hormozi's videos, but I could focus on the sales ones. I bought his book recently.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want to pitch your service right away too?

Also you would reccoment for the meeting, them calling you? Or you calling them?

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Thanks for your reply.

I'll note down the Brian tracy book :)

I've also been watching Hormozi's videos, but I could focus on the sales ones. I bought his book recently.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want to pitch your service right away too?

Also you would reccoment for the meeting, them calling you? Or you calling them?
For the first question.

You don't want to make a offer when the prospect is not yet ready to buy. And a prospect is generally not ready to buy while: 1. They are on the phone and probably in the middle of doing something else and 2. While they haven't yet gotten to know and trust you.

Now the second question. As your probably holding the meeting on zoom noone has to call.
Otherwise it's your job to call.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
For the first question.

You don't want to make a offer when the prospect is not yet ready to buy. And a prospect is generally not ready to buy while: 1. They are on the phone and probably in the middle of doing something else and 2. While they haven't yet gotten to know and trust you.

Now the second question. As your probably holding the meeting on zoom noone has to call.
Otherwise it's your job to call.
Ah ok thank you for clearing that up.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 11, 2022
Sounds like you're getting conversations, which is huge! Just getting someone to actually stop what they're doing and tell you why they're not interested is a big step. Not to mention actually picking up the phone in the first place. Nice job on that!

Definitely agree with what Subsonic said.

Also small recommendations:
  • If you're saying "Hope you don't mind", you might try cutting that out. You're at work, they're at work. One phrase a sales mentor told me is "It's business, not bother". They'll usually appreciate you getting to the point.
  • Sounds like you have a solid list of common objections, and some good responses. Come up with a way to handle each objection as it sounds like you have, and keep testing them. Sounds like you also know what you're talking about, so if you can quickly identify pain points they're probably experiencing based on issues you see with their website, ask them if they're experiencing it. If you can identify a concrete pain point they're experiencing that will save them time or make them money if fixed, that's a good path to getting the zoom call as Subsonic mentioned.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Upwork? Finding people who need your service.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There must be a few threads in the forum about cold-calling.

I don't do cold-calling myself.

Have you leveraged your current network already?

Personally, I'd join Facebook groups of peers (business owners on your county for instance), and be an engaged and helpful member. Start making friends, building relationships, and creating win-wins. But that's me.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
Sounds like you're getting conversations, which is huge! Just getting someone to actually stop what they're doing and tell you why they're not interested is a big step. Not to mention actually picking up the phone in the first place. Nice job on that!

Definitely agree with what Subsonic said.

Also small recommendations:
  • If you're saying "Hope you don't mind", you might try cutting that out. You're at work, they're at work. One phrase a sales mentor told me is "It's business, not bother". They'll usually appreciate you getting to the point.
  • Sounds like you have a solid list of common objections, and some good responses. Come up with a way to handle each objection as it sounds like you have, and keep testing them. Sounds like you also know what you're talking about, so if you can quickly identify pain points they're probably experiencing based on issues you see with their website, ask them if they're experiencing it. If you can identify a concrete pain point they're experiencing that will save them time or make them money if fixed, that's a good path to getting the zoom call as Subsonic mentioned.
Thanks Saint,

I guess that is actually a small victory to take away :)

That does sound right actually, I suppose if I say I hope you don't mind I am implying that I'm being bothersome, not actually implying genuine help.

I could definitly do that as well, identify a point of pain, highlight it then show how I can help them releive it. I could definitly make a document too of common responses and find the best ways I can think to reply to them effectively.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
Upwork? Finding people who need your service.
Have you used that personally? I recall seeing in another thread freelance sites should be avoided. But if someone else says they've had positive experience I'd be happy to hear

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
There must be a few threads in the forum about cold-calling.

I don't do cold-calling myself.

Have you leveraged your current network already?

Personally, I'd join Facebook groups of peers (business owners on your county for instance), and be an engaged and helpful member. Start making friends, building relationships, and creating win-wins. But that's me.
I've read a few of the threads here and am trying to take it all on board, I heard that sometimes it even takes 1000 cold calls to get good at it so that has motivated me a little.

I've joined a few Facebook groups too and make sure to like posts their from local business owners frequently. As well as put up posts there semi-frequently while trying to not spam. It could be beneficial to comment on more posts though and engage a little more 'humanly'? I could try that and see what happens.

But I'm sure I could utilise it more, or even find business groups that are a little more community styled.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Have you used that personally? I recall seeing in another thread freelance sites should be avoided. But if someone else says they've had positive experience I'd be happy to hear
Because the people paying for the services are there.

If you are selling a standard service go where the buyers are.

Do you mean positive buyers for the buyers or the sellers?

Buyers always want things cheap, if not free.

That’s why business is a grind.

Just some questions for you to think about.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Buyers always want things cheap, if not free
Not always. I don't trust free for instance, and if your prices are too low then some buyers will assume it's not for them.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
Because the people paying for the services are there.

If you are selling a standard service go where the buyers are.

Do you mean positive buyers for the buyers or the sellers?

Buyers always want things cheap, if not free.

That’s why business is a grind.

Just some questions for you to think about.
Positive as in for the seller I mean, is it something you use as well?

Saint

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 11, 2022
Thanks Saint,

I guess that is actually a small victory to take away :)

That does sound right actually, I suppose if I say I hope you don't mind I am implying that I'm being bothersome, not actually implying genuine help.

I could definitly do that as well, identify a point of pain, highlight it then show how I can help them releive it. I could definitly make a document too of common responses and find the best ways I can think to reply to them effectively.
Celebrate the small victories! When I started in sales I was making 100+ calls a day, and if I got 1 or 2 decent conversations that was pretty exciting.

As Subsonic suggested, the goal of the call was to see if a real meeting made sense, then of course try to close them on the meeting. Then hope they show up. Of course have the "meeting" right there if they do happen to have time. But again, on a cold call, you might not be closing the deal, just closing the next conversation.

Also remember that 100 years ago it was expected to take 7+ ad impressions to make a sale...these days it's probably several times that. Call, leave a vm, email...if you can quickly make them think you know them (mention something unique about their business, an uncommon commonality, a specific way you can help them), eventually, they may even call you back. You may reap the rewards of the work you're doing a week or months from now.

Another thing I thought of in addition to really identifying and mapping out pains and objections to handle is to use customer examples. First, probably smart to start calling prospects that are competitors/very similar to companies you've already helped (I'm assuming you have existing customers or past clients). When you connect or leave a VM, mention what you did and the outcome you achieved for their competitor.

"Hi this is HJP, I'm calling because I helped [you competitor across the street] get 20 more leads, customers, whatever per day by making a website for them, and I think I could help you do the same". Immediately lets them know you know what they do, and likely makes them jealous and worried that everyone else is getting a piece of your action except them.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Hi there, I do the same method as you and I'm about 2,300 calls in.
I think I had to make about 180 calls before I got my first job which was a portfolio project.

When you call, you sort of suck-@$$ in the beginning, then you get better. Just keep in mind the 100/10/3 rule, so 10 out of a hundred may be interested and 0-3 may be ready to get on a call and buy. Just don't give up, don't get down, and don't give in. Used to get super depressed making 25+ calls a day calling 6 days a week but something just happens with the momentum and the line goes from horizontal to damn near vertical in terms of prospects.

Cold e-mailing may also be up your alley, a guy a few weeks ago decided to do SMMA, cold-emailed 100 chiropractors and booked 2 calls for 1,500$/month services within DAYS of starting. Networking is also advantageous to do. Best of luck.

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
Celebrate the small victories! When I started in sales I was making 100+ calls a day, and if I got 1 or 2 decent conversations that was pretty exciting.

As Subsonic suggested, the goal of the call was to see if a real meeting made sense, then of course try to close them on the meeting. Then hope they show up. Of course have the "meeting" right there if they do happen to have time. But again, on a cold call, you might not be closing the deal, just closing the next conversation.

Also remember that 100 years ago it was expected to take 7+ ad impressions to make a sale...these days it's probably several times that. Call, leave a vm, email...if you can quickly make them think you know them (mention something unique about their business, an uncommon commonality, a specific way you can help them), eventually, they may even call you back. You may reap the rewards of the work you're doing a week or months from now.

Another thing I thought of in addition to really identifying and mapping out pains and objections to handle is to use customer examples. First, probably smart to start calling prospects that are competitors/very similar to companies you've already helped (I'm assuming you have existing customers or past clients). When you connect or leave a VM, mention what you did and the outcome you achieved for their competitor.

"Hi this is HJP, I'm calling because I helped [you competitor across the street] get 20 more leads, customers, whatever per day by making a website for them, and I think I could help you do the same". Immediately lets them know you know what they do, and likely makes them jealous and worried that everyone else is getting a piece of your action except them.
Thanks Saint those are all great points

That's true maybe it'd be best to have the meeting right there in some cases as it could allow more opportunities to show the value of the services, but also re-schedule if there is time.

That's also very true as well and great inspiration to carry on doing what I'm doing :)

That sounds like a great plan, I've worked for a personal trainer and a dog groomer so far so those are industries I could definitly target as there are a ton of them in my area.

It sounds like an exellent technique :)

HJP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 19, 2023
Hi there, I do the same method as you and I'm about 2,300 calls in.
I think I had to make about 180 calls before I got my first job which was a portfolio project.

When you call, you sort of suck-@$$ in the beginning, then you get better. Just keep in mind the 100/10/3 rule, so 10 out of a hundred may be interested and 0-3 may be ready to get on a call and buy. Just don't give up, don't get down, and don't give in. Used to get super depressed making 25+ calls a day calling 6 days a week but something just happens with the momentum and the line goes from horizontal to damn near vertical in terms of prospects.

Cold e-mailing may also be up your alley, a guy a few weeks ago decided to do SMMA, cold-emailed 100 chiropractors and booked 2 calls for 1,500$/month services within DAYS of starting. Networking is also advantageous to do. Best of luck.

I saw your original progress thread with your calling which is what inspired me to carry on :)

That is very true as well I suppose, the more you do the better you get and when you get better the same number of calls will have higher conversion so your prospects will shoot up.

I've never head of that rule too but it's something good to keep in mind :)

I'm going to put together a list of emails / phone numbers and get back on it tonight, thanks for the words of wisdom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.